Topic: Top Welterweights - 170 lbs.

Lets discuss our WW rankings

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

12.16.2012 | 5:31 PM ET

This should do it sir 

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Responses Page 4

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.06.2013 | 3:56 PM ET

@p4p You have no idea how much I want for you to be right on that, p4p!  I have a vested interest in that happening.  But how can you promise me that, my old friend?  

If Dana's promises are worth spit in a hurricane, how can we have faith in logic?  

My worst fear is if Fitch beats Maia, Dana will pretend to be enthused and intone in his most pretentious tone, that, "Jon will next fight NATE MARQUARDT!!!!!!  Yes, you heard me right!!!  Nate the Great!"

Which will not help either man to get back into the Top 5.  

Dana White is a very savvy, salty veteran of how to suggest something without ever saying anything.  He's a real politician.  Can sling the BS with the best of the BS artists.

Hear me my friends.  It will be Marquardt, Simpson, Cote, Siyar.  NOT Condit, MacDonald, Diaz or Hendricks.

The 2 groups are vastly different and imply vastly different things.  White knows exactly how to screw you, with the big smile.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.06.2013 | 3:57 PM ET

I could not care less if Fitch ever gets another title shot.  Just trying to get him his #2 ranking back.  That's it.

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,700
  • Post Score: 173

01.06.2013 | 4:04 PM ET

So you dont care if he gets a title shot, but you want him at number 2? You dont care to see the number 2 ranked WW get a title shot?

"3HUNNA"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

01.06.2013 | 4:10 PM ET

@bill, do you really think he's #2 or are you just trying to "get him there"? Because if so, what will that ranking be worth if it doesn't reflect reality (a reality in which Fitch was KTFO'd by the current #2)?

Fitch goes no higher than #3 (and even that's a stretch) until Hendricks loses a couple or to the man himself.

And I like Fitch, so this isn't Fitch-hate, it's just reality.

* Edited at 01.06.2013, 4:12 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.06.2013 | 5:29 PM ET

I really don't care if Fitch fights again for the title.  I'm quite sure he'd get beaten quite decisively again by GSP.  

@yoss I know.  You are NOT a Fitch hater by any means.

I never dropped Fitch from his original #2 ranking.  I never believed it reflected much when he got caught by Hendricks.  If they fought 10 times, I believe Fitch would win 10 out of 10.  He got caught because he was coming off an injury, was rusty and had imperfect timing.  Worst of all, he wasn't alerted to the Hendricks KO punch.  He was ambushed.  THAT will never happen again!

The only person I give a good chance to beat Fitch, outside of GSP, is MacDonald.  I give Rory a 50-50 chance to beat Fitch.  But Fitch would take Condit, Diaz and Hendricks.  

Thanks, yoss.  I know you're cool.  We're allies.

* Edited at 01.06.2013, 8:09 PM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.06.2013 | 5:32 PM ET

Has anyone noticed I have 2 enemies that can't handle my expressing my opinions?  I believe someone follows me and does that in thread after thread.  JudoRandori is one of them.

* Edited at 01.06.2013, 5:42 PM ET *

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.06.2013 | 5:49 PM ET

@yossgold Our rankings are ridiculously similar, I don't have Nick Diaz (because a. he's been inactive for a year or he will be and b. he doesn't deserve to be in the top 10) and you don't have Martin Kampmann but other than that, they are virtually identical.

"الله أكبرl"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.06.2013 | 5:52 PM ET

Great minds run along similar grooves.  

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,528  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

01.06.2013 | 6:57 PM ET

@AnikM, great minds my friend :)

And I basically agree with you about not ranking suspended/inactive fighters and do the same in the excel I use to help me keep track of the UFC, but I'm too lazy to update my Tapology rankings regularly, so I keep them in there :)

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.06.2013 | 7:00 PM ET

You have an Excel sheet where you keep track of your personal fighter rankings over time? Sounds interesting, I'd like to see it.

"الله أكبرl"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

01.06.2013 | 7:02 PM ET

Mine. Could probably work on it a bit, but this is my current top ten.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.06.2013 | 8:04 PM ET

p4p, Bill is just trying to be malicious because he knows Nate is my former sensei; he's being disrespectful toward someone else because that's how punks operate.
broadly
broadly
  • Predictions:  732  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  159
  • Post Score: 197

01.06.2013 | 8:14 PM ET

My ranking criteria is split with an 80/15/5 weight between three determining factors.  Respectively, these three factors are: 

- where I think a fighter should be relative to everyone else in the world in their division based on their (most consistently displayed) skill set and perceived ceiling of improvement

- who a fighter has fought and beat

- all other factors fall in to this last category; bias mostly but other things like a fighters perceived dedication to MMA for example.

* Edited at 01.06.2013, 8:23 PM ET *

"Yeah." - Mark Hunt

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.07.2013 | 1:12 AM ET

Anyone else wish to share their WW Tiers?

Top Tier - GSP, Jon Fitch, Nick Diaz, Carlos Condit, Rory MacDonald, Thiago Alves, Josh Koscheck, Jake Ellenberger, Martin Kampmann, Johny Hendricks, Demian Maia.

Mid-Tier - Rick Story, Paulo Thiago, John Hathaway, Dong Hyun Kim, Amir Sadollah, Brian Ebersole, Erick Silva, Dan Hardy, Mike Swick, Aaron Simpson, Patrick Cote, Matt Brown,Mike Pyle, TJ Waldburger, Mike Pierce, Seth Baczynski, Siyar Bahadurzada, Nate Marquardt, Tyron Woodley, Tarec Saffiedine, Bobby Voelker.

Bottom Tier - BJ Penn, Darren Elkins, Matthew Riddle, Dan Roberts, Renzo Gracie, GJ Grant, DaMarques Johnson, Pascal Krauss, Duane Ludwig, Mark Scanlon, James Wilks, John Howard, Kris McCray, Dave Mitchell, Claude Patrick, Sean Pierson, Carlos Eduardo Rocha, Dennis Hallman, Brian Foster, Papy Abedi, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Lance Benoist, Chris Clements, Justin Edwards, Ricardo Funch, Marcelo Guimaraes, Jake Hecht, Brock Jardine, John Maguire, Dan Miller, Che Mills, Josh Neer, Carlo Prater, Luis Ramos, Ken Robertson, Dan Stittgen, Mike Stumpf, Stephen Thompson, Simeon Thoresen, Keith Wisniewski, Besam Yousef.

Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine, Strikeforce, January 12
Jon Fitch vs. Demian Maia, February 2
Tyron Woodley vs. Jay Hieron, February 2
Matt Riddle vs. Che Mills, February 16
Josh Koscheck vs. Robbie Lawler, February 23
Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Dong Kim, March 3
GSP vs. Nick Diaz, March 16
Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald, March 16
Johny Hendricks vs. Jake Ellenberger, March 16
Patrick Cote vs. Bobby Voelker, March 16
Can Hardy vs. Matt Brown, unofficial so far

So far, Marty Kampmann, Rick Story, John Hathaway, Paulo Thiago, Amir Saddollah, Mike Swick, Brian Ebersole, Aaron Simpson, Mike Pierce, Mike Pyle, Seth Baczynski & TJ Waldburger, have not yet been scheduled fights.  Some are still recovering from recent fights.

Thiago Alves and Erick Silva are on the disabled list.

* Edited at 01.07.2013, 1:12 AM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.09.2013 | 10:17 AM ET

Top Tier - GSP, Jon Fitch, Nick Diaz, Carlos Condit, Rory MacDonald, Thiago Alves, Josh Koscheck, Jake Ellenberger, Martin Kampmann, Johny Hendricks, Demian Maia.

Mid-Tier - Rick Story, Paulo Thiago, John Hathaway, Dong Hyun Kim, Amir Sadollah, Brian Ebersole, Erick Silva, Dan Hardy, Mike Swick, Aaron Simpson, Patrick Cote, Matt Brown,Mike Pyle, TJ Waldburger, Mike Pierce, Seth Baczynski, Siyar Bahadurzada, Nate Marquardt, Tyron Woodley, Tarec Saffiedine, Bobby Voelker.

Bottom Tier - Pascal Krauss, Duane Ludwig, David Mitchell, Claude Patrick, Sean Pierson, Papy Abedi, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Benny Alloway, Lance Benoist, Nick Catone, Chris Clements, Justin Edwards, Marcelo Guimaraes, James Head, Jay Hieron, Brock Jardine, Robbie Lawler, Hyun Gyu Lim, Neil Magny, Jon Manley, Jordan Mein, Dan Miller, Che Mills, David Mitchell, Sergio, Moraes, Josh Neer, Gunnar Nelson, Kyle Noke, Mike Ricci, Kenny Robertson, Manuel Rodriquez, Bradley Scott, Colton Smith, Mike Stumpf, Stephen Thompson, Simeon Thoresen, Bob Whittaker, Keith Wisniewski, Besam Yousef.

Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine, Strikeforce, January 12
Jon Fitch vs. Demian Maia, February 2
Tyron Woodley vs. Jay Hieron, February 2
Matt Riddle vs. Che Mills, February 16
Josh Koscheck vs. Robbie Lawler, February 23
Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Dong Kim, March 3
GSP vs. Nick Diaz, March 16
Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald, March 16
Johny Hendricks vs. Jake Ellenberger, March 16
Patrick Cote vs. Bobby Voelker, March 16
Rick Story vs. Sean Pierson, March 16
Dan Hardy vs. Matt Brown, unofficial so far

So far, Marty Kampmann, John Hathaway, Paulo Thiago, Amir Saddollah, Mike Swick, Brian Ebersole, Aaron Simpson, Mike Pierce, Mike Pyle, Seth Baczynski & TJ Waldburger, have not yet been scheduled fights.  Some are still recovering from recent fights.

Thiago Alves and Erick Silva are on the disabled list.

* Edited at 01.09.2013, 10:40 AM ET *

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

01.09.2013 | 10:25 AM ET

Nate Marquardt beat one of your top-tier WW in 21 seconds

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.09.2013 | 10:36 AM ET

Nate Marquardt will move up to the top tier after his first fight in the UFC.  I assume.

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.09.2013 | 10:57 AM ET

Bill, you're killing me, man.
JM Barrie
JM Barrie
  • Predictions:  7,861  |  54.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,617
  • Post Score: -69

01.09.2013 | 11:13 AM ET

People need to look at ranking objectively.

We rank fighters in MMA not what org they are from and what rules they have to follow.

Answer me this

GSP vs Diaz fight in the UFC, Who wins?

GSP vs Diaz fight in One FC, Who wins?

think objectively.

I believe the answers are not the same so I look to see what org has less rules and also "open" criteria ... and so I go with that one.

* Edited at 01.09.2013, 11:14 AM ET *

"1. Avoidant personality disorder _______________2. Maladaptive daydreaming"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.09.2013 | 11:22 AM ET

@Judo  Oh NO!  What happened to that splendid avatar you had?  Man, that was The ONE!  Da Bomb!

I love the Nate and he is top tier in my mind, but I was just being a little timid in waiting for him to rejoin the UFC.  I didn't like seeing him go in the first place.  

But he will be top tier soon enough in my personal rankings.  

Also, it appears your rankings are a little out of date.  An update maybe?

@JM  Glad to see you in one of my threads.  I took a beating in supporting you and got disrespected by Gregory in the process.  But I will always up-arrow you anyway.  To combat the haters.

* Edited at 01.09.2013, 11:23 AM ET *

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 pre-event facts: Can Derrick Lewis extend all-time KO record?
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Paid More In Taxes Than I Made Last Year In My Fight’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dan Hardy picks Conor McGregor to beat Michael Chandler: ‘He’s got that refinement in his game’
  • Middle Easy : ‘Problem-Solving’ Cory Sandhagen Reveals One Weakness He Sees In Unbeaten Umar Nurmagomedov