Topic: Top Welterweights - 170 lbs.

Lets discuss our WW rankings

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

12.16.2012 | 5:31 PM ET

This should do it sir 

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Responses Page 5

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

01.09.2013 | 11:37 AM ET

Bill why or you so fixated with how handsome boys are?

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.09.2013 | 11:52 AM ET

Bill, you got two for the price of one, haha.
blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

01.09.2013 | 1:29 PM ET

I'm surprised to see some of those names in the rankings

"@AndySalasMMA"

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.09.2013 | 2:56 PM ET

blitz, my rankings are not actually rankings, I just picked fighters I liked. Rankings are BS and I put next to no stock in them, so I waste no legit time on them.
blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

01.09.2013 | 3:47 PM ET

oh I see, it makes sense now.

+1 for not giving a ****.

"@AndySalasMMA"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.09.2013 | 9:25 PM ET

@Brazilian Jitz  You know I'm about out of patience with you and dielegende23.  The insulting overtones have crossed the line for the last time.  I will break it down for you this once and once ONLY, and after that it's war.

And by the way, your post will be reported.  

I am straight.  Period.  End of story.  I am also 61 and secure in who I am to be able to give a brother a compliment.  I complimented 2 brothers.  Sonnens & JudoRandori.  My culture is a mixture of Italian, French and Spanish on my mother's side.  We are gregarious, emotional, affectionate people.  We give bear hugs.  

That does not even begin to suggest we are anything but strictly hetero-sexual.  I am offended not because there is anything wrong with gays, but because someone would refuse to accept what I say.  To suggest I'm a liar or gay is so far off base and out of line that if we were in a bar, I'd knock you off your bar stool.  That is how offensive you are coming across.  

Are we clear now, mister.  Have I broken it down enough for you?  I am not fixated on people of my own gender.  I AM fixated on women and despair I'll ever be well.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

01.09.2013 | 9:32 PM ET

Like the other "appreciation" thread... this is becoming "weird".  Stick to the topic guys... don't worry about what @Bill thinking behind his desktop and @bill... stop being so sensitive. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.09.2013 | 9:47 PM ET

I understand but why do I have to be the bigger man and walk away.  Why do they get to insult me without me being able to defend myself.  Tell them to stop.

I do bring out the weird in some members.  But I make good, solid posts, and I work very hard on them.  I shouldn't be a punching bag for the strange people.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

01.09.2013 | 10:00 PM ET

@JM

"People need to look at ranking objectively.

We rank fighters in MMA not what org they are from and what rules they have to follow.

Answer me this

GSP vs Diaz fight in the UFC, Who wins?

GSP vs Diaz fight in One FC, Who wins?

think objectively.

I believe the answers are not the same so I look to see what org has less rules and also "open" criteria ... and so I go with that one."

Well you believe wrong and arnt being objective  at all.  GSP is going to maul Diaz. Diaz is not on the same level physically nor skill wise. He is going to get beat on the feet and on the ground. Diaz is historically terrible against wrestlers, let alone the best wrestler in MMA. He would get more mauled in One FC because with knees on the ground Diaz would be absolutely screwed.  I cant wait until they fight so this nonsense that Diaz is better then GSP can be put to rest. 

* Edited at 01.09.2013, 10:06 PM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.10.2013 | 3:06 PM ET

@Blitz, for the record I didn't down arrow any of your posts.

@franklin, my first question when someone gives a prediction is, "based on WHAT?" A lot of folks just WANT that outcome and so don't really have a basis for their predictions and get mad when you shed light on the fact that they don't have a leg to stand on in an arguement based on anything resembling logic. This comes up most frequently with long time champs, or just dominant champs. Jackson is right, success breeds critics. I would add to his statement that it also breeds haters, and haters don't need logic, facts, or anything but their hate to fuel their rants.

With regard to this match up, there are certain things we can almost take for granted based on statistics.

1. Diaz will not win a decision. Not only doesn't GSP lose enough rounds to lose decisions, but 80% of Nick's losses have come via decision.

2. GSP will not submit Diaz. He hasn't subbed anyone since 2007 (five years last month), and its only one of two UFC subs he has on his resume. * And oh, yeah, Diaz has never been subbed.

Those are the two gimmes in this fight that shouldn't be debated even slightly. After that: GSP will not KO Diaz, as Diaz only has one actual KO loss on his pro record, and that was over a decade ago. I am not counting a cut stoppage because GSP has shown no ability to stop anyone by cut, so to factor that in as a possibility would not be based on sound reasoning.

Looking at common opponents Sherk and Condit (leaving Penn out because he fought them years apart) it would also seem the GSP has the advantage. Now, this isn't MMAth, its comparing how a fighter performs against the same set of skills.

GSP fought Sherk in Nov 05' and Diaz faced him just five months later. So, Diaz should have fought the better version. He lost a UD, whereas GSP stopped him in the second round (remember when he could finish fights?). Diaz fought Condit in Feb 12' and lost a UD and then GSP fought him Nov 12' and won a UD.

Yes, some argued that Diaz won, and yes, Condit almost took GSP's head off, but look at the numbers, Condit far outstruck Nick "the output machine" Diaz and while Condit blasted GSP worse than anyone else ever (Serra aside) he lost.

There is nothing in the history of either fighter that would suggest Diaz will win, but because he gives people the finger and is anti-authority that somehow makes him better than his skill set. Didn't work for Nate VS Bendo, won't work for Nick VS GSP. What haven't I covered?

* Edited at 01.10.2013, 3:33 PM ET *

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.10.2013 | 3:32 PM ET

Nate Marquardt vs. Tarec Saffiedine, Strikeforce, January 12
Jon Fitch vs. Demian Maia, February 2
Tyron Woodley vs. Jay Hieron, February 2
Matt Riddle vs. Che Mills, February 16
Josh Koscheck vs. Robbie Lawler, February 23
Siyar Bahadurzada vs. Dong Kim, March 3
GSP vs. Nick Diaz, March 16
Carlos Condit vs. Rory MacDonald, March 16
Johny Hendricks vs. Jake Ellenberger, March 16
Patrick Cote vs. Bobby Voelker, March 16
Jordan Mein vs. Dan Miller, March 16
Rick Story vs. Sean Pierson, March 16
Can Hardy vs. Matt Brown, unofficial so far

Bottom Tier - BJ Penn, David Mitchell, Claude Patrick, Sean Pierson, Papy Abedi, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Pascal Krauss, Benny Alloway, Lance Benoist, Nick Gatone, Chris Clements, Justin Edwards, Marcelo Guimaraes, Jay Hieron, Brock Jardine, Robbie Lawler, Hyun Gyu Lim, Neil Magny, Jon Manley, Che Mills, Sergio Moraes, Josh Neer, Gunnar Nelson, Kyle Noke, Mike Ricci, Kenny Robertson, Manuel Rodriquez, Bradley, Scott, Mike Stumpf, Stephen Thompson, Simeon Thoresen, Bob Whittaker, Keith Wisniewski, Besam Yousef, Colton, Smith, Dan Miller, Jordan Mein, James Head.

So far, Marty Kampmann, John Hathaway, Paulo Thiago, Amir Saddollah, Mike Swick, Brian Ebersole, Aaron Simpson, Mike Pierce, Mike Pyle, Seth Baczynski & TJ Waldburger, have not yet been scheduled fights. 

How would you like to see the rest of them matched up?  Here are a few ideas.

Mike Pyle vs. Mike Pierce (both struggling to break into the mid-tier)
Marty Kampmann vs. Paulo Thiago
John Hathaway vs. Aaron Simpson
Mike Swick vs. Amir Saddollah
Seth Baczynski vs. TJ Waldburger
Brian Ebersole vs. Josh Neer
James Wilks vs. James Head
Duane Ludwig vs. Claude Patrick

* Edited at 01.10.2013, 4:38 PM ET *

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

01.10.2013 | 4:02 PM ET

Renzo Gracie is no bottom tier fighter. he will be UFC champ ,you watch. Just as soon as he un retires

* Edited at 01.10.2013, 4:04 PM ET *

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.10.2013 | 4:22 PM ET

I only included his name because he is retired, but refuses to announce it.  Like Hughes and Serra.  But he's gone.  He's lucky I included him at all.

bman518
bman518
  • Predictions:  23,181  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,763
  • Post Score: 185

01.10.2013 | 4:25 PM ET

@Bill a lot the bottom tier people you've listed have been cut already:
Daniel Roberts, Dan Stittgen, Dennis Hallman, Ricardo Funch, Jake Hecht, Carlos Eduardo Rocha, Carlo Prater, Kris McCray, Damarques Johnson, and Luis Ramos.

* Edited at 01.10.2013, 4:25 PM ET *

"Check yourself before you wreck yourself."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.10.2013 | 4:37 PM ET

Thanks, bman518.  I had actually revised it but made a mistake and put in the wrong group.

I just corrected it.  Thanks again for the good head's up.

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.10.2013 | 11:01 PM ET

Bill, Damien above Nate, really? I know the KO happened at MW, but would it go down much differently at WW?
Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

01.10.2013 | 11:06 PM ET

I don't think you have any right to critique other people's lists when you have..ahem..KAZUO MISAKI ABOVE GEORGES ST-PIERRE.

"الله أكبرl"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.11.2013 | 12:46 AM ET

@Judo  But not for long.  Demian will soon lose to Jon Fitch and Nate will soon beat his SF opponent and come over to the UFC, thereby allowing me to replace Demian with Nate.  

I also expect Nate the Great to climb the UFC ladder very quickly.  I'm just holding off on him for a brief moment, until he makes his return to the UFC.  Wish he never left.

Some people are predicting a premature title shot for him already.  

* Edited at 01.11.2013, 12:47 AM ET *

JudoRandori
JudoRandori

01.11.2013 | 2:32 AM ET

Actually, I do, Anik, as mine isn't a ranking but a bunch of WWs I like, nothing more. Rankings are bs, baised opinions and how well a fighter does fluctuates, I have no intention of updating my rankings unless a new monster comes on the scene. Either way, I def have room to crituque.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.12.2013 | 9:01 AM ET

Has anyone altered their rankings drastically recently?  Based on recent developments?

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Paddy McCorey | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • UFC.com : The Octagon
  • UFC.com : Olympians To Compete In The UFC
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal vs. Nate Diaz Boxing Match Moved From June 1 to July 6 in Anaheim
  • MMAFighting.com : Muhammad Mokaev faces Manel Kape at UFC 304 in Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Pokes Fun at Islam Makhachev’s Performance on Punching Machine Ahead of UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : TKO Group Holdings suffered net loss of $249.5 million in 2024 first quarter largely due to UFC antitrust settlement
  • Bad Left Hook : Mercado vs Ali targeted for Estrada vs Bam undercard
  • MMA Junkie : Top flyweight contenders Manel Kape, Muhammad Mokaev targeted for UFC 304 clash
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour with Sonnen, Perry, Smith, and Sandhagen now
  • MMA Junkie : 'This is my prime': Derrick Lewis has 'something special' in store for UFC on ESPN 56 main event
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith clears up Alex Pereira beef: ‘I’ve never challenged him to anything’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 a night to remember for Alessandro Costa: TKO win, $50K bonus, praise from idol Jose Aldo
  • Jits Magazine : Women’s Under 65kg Division Fills Up With All Invites Announced For ADCC 2024
  • UFC.com : Joaquin Buckley And His Return To St. Louis
  • MMA Mania : His Ball Was Hot
  • Bad Left Hook : Sims signs with Golden Boy Promotions
  • MMA Junkie : Benoit Saint Denis: Islam Makhachev favored at UFC 302, but 'nobody can give Dustin Poirier no chance'
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal boxing match moves to new date and location
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal boxing match moving to new date and location