Topic: Top Welterweights - 170 lbs.

Lets discuss our WW rankings

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

12.16.2012 | 5:31 PM ET

This should do it sir 

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Responses Page 25

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

10.25.2013 | 7:45 PM ET

GSP vs. Hendricks will be come and gone before we know it.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to title shots after Johny, assuming GSP wins their fight?

I don't think there is any great groundswell for rematches with Condit, Diaz or Shields.

I don't think Ellenberger is ready and Lombard has just arrived in the division.  Brown and Lawler are still building up to title shots but haven't arrived just yet.  

If Matt Brown wins in great style against Condit, they might fast-track him like they did Dan Hardy.  But would that be a good thing?  

GSP is running out of credible, viable hard contenders.  What should be done?

* Edited at 10.25.2013, 7:48 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,765  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,797
  • Post Score: 273

10.25.2013 | 7:53 PM ET

I'm not sure what is to be done, but I imagine if Condit wins against Brown he could fight either GSP or Hendricks depending on who wins. Condit has fought both before, and I think he definitely could win either rematch so I would be interested in that.

For the sake of something different I hope Hendricks lands that left hand and GSP is out cold, but not in the first round. In the 4th round after a war.

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

10.26.2013 | 12:52 AM ET

I would love to see Jake Shields matched vs. Dong Hyun Kim, and if Kim won, I think he would be a qualified hard next contender.  But I doubt the UFC would want to see to smothering grinders fight again after Maia vs. Shields.  But if Shields won, I don't see the market demand for a rematch just now.

But Shields vs. Kim is the natural, obvious fight to make.  Would protect their high ranking and be equitable and competitive.

* Edited at 10.26.2013, 12:53 AM ET *

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

10.31.2013 | 12:24 AM ET

I just watched Jon Fitch's fight against Alfaya and while I still believe that going vegan has harmed him significantly in terms of his strength, his striking was at an all time high.

K1 Fitch, that was one of my favorite Fitch fights ever.

"الله أكبرl"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

10.31.2013 | 10:43 AM ET

Assuming GSP defeats Hendricks, I think his next title defense should be with Ben Askren.

They have promised to waive their matching rights if the UFC gives Ben a title shot.

hiblet
hiblet
  • Predictions:  26,857  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,043
  • Post Score: 208

10.31.2013 | 10:49 AM ET

What does the UFC have to gain by giving Askren a title shot though? If gsp would win that fight, then the UFC gets no where really since everyone believes they are already the superior promotion. If Askren would somehow win, the that gives new life to Bellator. It is a lose lose proposition for them. There is no way in hell that Askren is getting an immediate title shot.
Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

10.31.2013 | 10:49 AM ET

Ben Askren vs GSP would be the worst PPV selling for a GSP card ever, it wont happen and Askren hasnt even earned it anyways. I think if Rory dismantles Lawler hes going to accept the title shot similar to Rashad, but if Lombard riddles off a top 10 KO.he might get it, if Lawler beats Rory he might, if Brown beats Condit he will. 

I really think Lombard or Rory next is there best options. Rory vs GSP in  Canada would be huge, the storyline and "bad blood" wooh. Lombard if he gets 1 or 2 more KOs everyone will think hes the one to dethrone GSP and Lombard is a natural.born hype machine.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

10.31.2013 | 1:28 PM ET

Lombard is the opposite of a hype machine. He's just about the worst fighter to interview on the planet, and that's coming from personal experience. The guy has as much personality as Cain Velasquez. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Nomad
Nomad

10.31.2013 | 1:35 PM ET

Lombard not a hype machine? Thats why the UFC pays him what they do...because he wasnt hyped. Those knockouts in Bellator, over Palhares and Marquardt the media talks about the guy a lot, people are starting to chime about him being the one to beat GSP already. He has a polarizing image and fightinh style 1 maybe 2 impressive wins and the fans will be raging for it, Lombard is a hype machine.

Lombards not a good interviewee because he hates doing the media and all the stupid questions, hes a very standoffish guy, speaks slightly broken.english and he likes to do thw talking in the cage, he takes everything 100% serious and hates being disrespected. Im not saying Lombard is a good or nice person but hes a hype machine.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.31.2013 | 1:39 PM ET

His arrival was sort of spolied by his inability to deal with the bigger UFC middleweights. Give him one, maybe two more wins at welterweight and we could have him fight Georges before you know it.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

10.31.2013 | 5:23 PM ET

The reason I said that GSP's next title defense should be against Ben Askren is due to Bellator not contesting his leaving them if Ben were offered a title shot with GSP.  So, the UFC would be getting a high-quality WW without having to go through the Eddie Alvarez BS all over again.

All those others suggested are good fighters but at this moment aren't 'ripe'.  They still all need a big win to push them over the line.  Lawler, Brown, Rory, Lombard, Condit.

Condit - Even if he wins, the fans are not that enthused with another title shot so soon.  The same thing would happen.

Lombard - He needs a big win.  He's called out Condit, but that would be down the road.

Brown - Even a win over Condit would leave him short.  He would still need another big win.

MacDonald - I do wish Rory gets over his bond with GSP and fights him as a bro, but until he does, he is not yet 'available'.  Wish it were different.

I personally want to see Dong fight Shields, and if Dong wins, I want that fight with GSP.  

But for now, Askren is an easy fight to promote until the others build their respective cases just a little bit more.  They are all close but not there at this moment.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

10.31.2013 | 5:26 PM ET

There is a very big question as to whether or not the UFC wants to court Ben Askren.  Is he really the kind of fighter they are looking for?  He's a great wrestler but so what?  The UFC is loaded with great WW wrestlers.

GSP, Hendricks, Dong, Ellenberger.  And Shields, Maia and Diaz are all great JJ guys.

Does the UFC really want another strict wrestler after they got rid of Fitch, Okami and would like to drop Dong?

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

10.31.2013 | 5:37 PM ET

If condit beats Brown which I believe he will. If the UFC sign aksren they should have him fight condit for title shot. Because Askren wins then he beat top 3 welter weight. If Condit wins he beats a dominate wrestler with great top control. Plus I doubt Askren can have a boring fight with Condit. Feel this is potential win win for the UFC.

"here I come to save the day"

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

10.31.2013 | 5:40 PM ET

I don't know why they would want to drop Dong, I haven't heard that. His only losses are to Condit and a freak injury against Maia. For me he's borderline top ten, and could make a case for a title shot if he keeps fighting the way he is. He just KTFO'd a big time prospect as well. Even if his fights aren't exciting, the guy wins (same could be said about Askren).

I think Askren is a love him or hate him type of guy, i used to really hate him but i have come to enjoy his trolling and would like to see him in the UFC. I don't know if he could dominate GSP, but I wouldn't be against seeing it.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

Nomad
Nomad

10.31.2013 | 5:41 PM ET

If Condit beats Brown a Shields rematch is in order.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

10.31.2013 | 5:49 PM ET

That be cool for condit, though don't really think Shields deserve it since win streak he on several fights could have gone the other way. However I guess the same could be said that askren does not deserve condit however at least they could play the undefeated champ angle with aksren. Condit would love to fight shields so I be down for that and it be cool to watch Condit **** him up

"here I come to save the day"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

10.31.2013 | 6:08 PM ET

@Prodigy You don't know why the UFC wants to drop Dong?  The UFC just isn't going in his direction.  They are moving away from grinders who smother strikers.  They got rid of Fitch and Okami.  What does that tell you?

They also are moving away from boring, high-priced guys.  They are moving away from people who don't finish fights.  

They want young guys, exciting strikers who put on a show.  Standup fireworks.  Think Sanchez vs. Melendez.

They cut Fitch after he beat Erick Silva decisively.  Cut him as soon as he lost. 

Okami beat Lombard decisively.  Was on a 3-win streak.  They cut him as soon as he lost.

They gave Dong Siyar Bahadurzada and then Erick Silva in a row!  The way to minimize a guy you don't want is to give them tough nobodies.  That's what they did to Fitch, and now they're Fitching Dong Kim.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

10.31.2013 | 6:10 PM ET

In the WSOF, they have Aaron Simpson.  I hope they match him and Jon Fitch.  That would be a UFC-level fight.

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

10.31.2013 | 6:21 PM ET

@bill i think they cut Fitch and Okami because they were paid more than the average fighters in the UFC, and neither were probably going to be title contenders again. Okami never really seemed the same after Anderson dealt with him in their rematch, and Fitch lost to Maia and Hendricks, and already had a crack at GSP. I don't agree with either cut, but that's just how they operate I guess.

Dong hasn't fought for the title and really only has one legitimate loss so far, which was against a guy who later held the interim title. Maybe if Dong gets smashed against GSP and can't work his way back up, then I could see him getting the Fitch treatment.

* Edited at 10.31.2013, 6:22 PM ET *

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

IAmLegend012
IAmLegend012
  • Predictions:  1,649  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  236
  • Post Score: 158

10.31.2013 | 6:30 PM ET

11. Tarec Saffiedine   
12. Hector Lombard  
13. Dong Hyun Kim  
14. Martin Kampmann  
15. Nick Diaz  

16. Josh Burkman
17. Tyron Woodley
18. Mike Pyle
19. Jon Fitch
20. Josh Koscheck

21. Mike Pierce
22. Thiago Alves
23. Jordan Mein
24. Gunnar Nelson
25. Erick Silva

Page 25

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘Ideally, We Fight Back In Vegas In December For The Title’
  • Middle Easy : ‘UFC Took My Reebok Deal!’ Rampage Jackson Rattles On What Went Wrong In UFC Run
  • MMA Junkie : Mexican standout David Martinez splits with Combate Global, dreams of signing with UFC
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Chael Sonnen loads gloves with rocks for Anderson Silva open workout
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Dubs Ex-President Donald Trump the Greatest Fighter of All Time: ‘He’s a Good Human Being’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones fires back at former opponent Dominick Reyes: ‘You didn’t do enough’
  • Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Leaks Alleged Mo Jassim Audio Confirming Show Money For ADCC 2024
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler Once Again in Doubt as ‘Even More Pessimism’ Rises Over the Irishman’s Return at UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Don’t Want You To Ever Question Me Or Those Judges’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dominick Reyes admits he ‘lost my way’ after Jon Jones loss: ‘I had to humble myself’
  • MMA Junkie : Jon Jones claps back at Dominick Reyes over claims of beating him in 2020 UFC title fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘We’re more than ready’: Paro confident he’ll be well prepared to beat Matias
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘We’re more than ready’: Liam Paro confident he’ll be prepared to beat Subriel Matias
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 4 loses fight days out from event
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera plans to 'pull all the demons' vs. Deiveson Figueiredo at UFC on ABC 7
  • MMA Mania : Hill ‘Just Woke Up’ From ‘Poatan’ Piece Meal
  • MMAFighting.com : Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson shows off ‘cantaloupe’ lump in elbow from ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : Is Conor McGregor still fighting Michael Chandler at UFC 303? Here's what we know
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Pereira unsure how Israel Adesanya does vs. Dricus Du Plessis: 'After we fought, he changed a little bit'
  • Middle Easy : Dominick Reyes Insists Jon Jones Lost To Him And ‘Bones’ Will Remember It ‘Forever’