Topic: Top Lightweights - 155 lbs.

let's discuss our LW rankings

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  39,294  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

07.12.2013 | 7:06 PM ET

alright bill hopefully this should work for you ...

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

Responses Page 13

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,502  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,791
  • Post Score: 180

01.22.2014 | 6:59 PM ET

Fitch grinded because he couldn't strike or apparently submit very well.

Benson does it because he's only good at any single aspect. Good wrestling but there are many better, good subs but hasn't finished anyone since Cowboy in the WEC, decent striking, although more varied than most, but with almost no finishing power. 

GSP was the worst offender. He could KO people, he could submit people, he could've outwrestled them to gain advantageous position in order to go for finishes but was content with decisions after getting caught with a counter sub by Hughes and KOed by Serra. You'd have to be blind to think he truly tried to finish Hardy, Alves, Kos the 2nd time, or Shields. I'll give him a pass on his 3 fights since he returned because it definitely seemed the field had caught up to him but to quit for whatever excuse after clearly getting beaten up but winning a VERY controversial decision was the ONLY way he could've damaged his legacy as bad as he did imo.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.23.2014 | 9:29 AM ET

GSP the worst offender?  Ooh, that hurts.  Despite what Dana White says, the main idea is not to finish but to WIN.  Proven winners should not be looked down on or discriminated by HOW they win.

MMA was born to determine which style or combination of styles won and beat the others.  Finishing a fight is incidental.  Winning is the goal, not finishing or being entertaining to us fans.

By focusing so hard on finishing and cutting proven winners, the UFC is distorting the original purpose of MMA, just to make money.  Proven winners must be not only be tolerated but respected.

By refusing to allow Ben Askren into the UFC, the UFC has proven just how far they have strayed from the original and beautiful beginnings of MMA.  Shame on them, and shame on those fans that go along with it.

Dana White's head is so far up his ass that he'd rather watch someone lose excitingly than win boringly.  

* Edited at 01.23.2014, 9:30 AM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

01.23.2014 | 9:43 AM ET

I wouldn't say GSP was the worst offender, but i would agree that he should have finished Dan Hardy and Jake Shields. As far as the Hendricks fight, i had GSP winning after watching the fight several times. There were some key moments in which JH, i feel, cost himself the fight.

Round 2 - he didn't go for the finish when GSP was clearly rocked, NOT knocked down, like he typically does.

Round 4 - putting some pretty decent GnP on GSP, who couldn't out of the bottom, but he let him up.....?

Round 5 - clearly had plent of gas in the tank, yet came out and showboated for a bit before being caught with a stiff 1-2 combo and taken down.

While only round 5 cost him on the judges score cards, he can only put the blame on himself for the other two rounds.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.23.2014 | 9:57 AM ET

When the UFC bought Pride and Strikeforce, I was elated.  Ecstatic.  But not now.  The UFC has become too powerful in its field.  When they cut people who shouldn't be cut, or refuse to hire people who are deserving, they ruin careers.  It's as simple as that.

I now realize it would be much healthier for MMA to have several organizations of comparable strength.  Healthier for the fighters, to be sure, and what's best for them is best for MMA.

To have one powerful, premium brand so much ahead of the rest is like having a National League without an American League.  Too much power corrupts.  Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This will evolve down the road and I hope I live to see it.  And cross-promotion will someday come to MMA, one way or another.  Money will make it happen.  You read it here first.

* Edited at 01.23.2014, 9:58 AM ET *

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

01.23.2014 | 10:14 AM ET

I disagree. The last thing I want is a bunch of organization with comparable strength. Then it will turn into boxing, where the best guys never fight and there always the "which champ is the best" debate.

* Edited at 01.23.2014, 10:16 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.23.2014 | 10:58 AM ET

the main idea is not to finish but to WIN. 

I agree that winning should be the main objective but pursuing the finish SHOULD be the plan of all fighters because every second you're in a fight is a chance for your opponent to win. Obviously this is not an either/or situation. Must be balance so you don't get "Pete Sell"ed to use one of the most famous cases.

MMA was born to determine which style or combination of styles won and beat the others. 
You forgot "in a real fight". That was the stated aim of the original UFC even though we know it was actually an exended infomercial for Gracie Jiu-Jitsu in particular and Brazilian jiu-jitsu in general. In a real fight means absolutely no rules. Now obviously you have to have rules but the more rules, the farther from a real fight, so winning by "points" is to be avoided. Winning a decision, especially when the opposition is just as tough/skilled as you, is usually more impressive than a quick KO or Sub. Usually. But coasting, not in the last round but as soon as you know you're better than the opponent is what I'm talking about.

I agree about Askren. The ONLY part of his fights that bored me were his opponents complete helplessness. I never thought he L'n'Ped. He constantly improved position and imo used his wrestling like Cain in that he wasn't mostly worried about the opponent getting back up because, to me, he seemed very confident in his ability to put them back down if he did. This is what I'm talking about with regards to GSP. Fitch, Guida (vs. Pettts anyway), etc. And Askren is still a "newbie" in MMA and his finishing rate has improved in his last few fights. I also thought Sherk got unfairly labeled as a L'n'Per because he was constantly improving his position & while his G'n'P hardly ever resulted in a finish, due to his physical limitations it was clearly his wisest strategy because he was at a huge reach & height disadvantage in almost all of his fights.

People focus waaaay too much on what Dana has to say. He's a promoter, which means he's a liar like all salesmen (or women :D). But I agree with him in that I'd rather watch a fighter lose excitingly than win in a boring fashion. Again not a cut & dried issue. For example, Edgar couldn't finish LWs either, but I consider his "point" style to have been necessary due to his always being the smaller fighter at LW and even now at FW. 

And I hope that my "GSP was the worst offender" comment did hurt in that it helped to you realize his wasted potential. He was (is?) a great fighter no doubt but could've been sooooooo much greater.

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

01.23.2014 | 11:25 AM ET

@Bill. This is what happens with all pro sports. You get a bunch of ****** organiza
tions that either fold or grow over time. Eventually to make things run smoothly, one wins out, and it's usually made up of all the people who worked to make the sport what it is (Sean Shelby, Scott Coker, etc) so you get the top people from all orgs runnings it.

Just a side note: People are (rightfully) complaining about the Fight Pass. It's not only the UFC, 

I have the NBA League Pass: it sucks ass sometimes. 

My roommate has NHL Center Ice: sucks ass sometimes. 

My friend has NFL ticket. Sucks ass sometimes (Although the NFL package seems to have the fewest flaws)

I'm talking about the online product, not the cable service.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.23.2014 | 5:02 PM ET

Anthony Pettis is now wanting to fight Benson Henderson for his come-back fight.  Hope the UFC doesn't veto it.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1934084-anthony-pettis-looking-to-return-in-5-months-doctor-says-thats-optimistic?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=mma

* Edited at 01.23.2014, 5:05 PM ET *

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

01.23.2014 | 5:08 PM ET

I don't really see anything that says he want's Henderson for his comeback, it only says he is picking him in this fight.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

amp112
amp112

01.23.2014 | 5:28 PM ET

If Henderson beats Thomson, that's a hard sell to put anyone else in. Maybe Melendez if he doesn't fight Khabib. I assume Grant is still out?
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.24.2014 | 9:27 AM ET

When Pettis defeated Henderson, Dana White said that there would not be a third fight between them.  How strange.  I felt that was inappropriate.

After all, White never said that Junior dos Santos would never have another shot against Velasquez, in an even more lopsided situation.  If Henderson puts together a winning run, how can they deny him?

amp112
amp112

01.24.2014 | 12:00 PM ET

He probably meant a rematch. Which wasn't deserved. Honestly, I would've liked to see Henderson have 3 wins before a rematch, but with all the injuries, you gotta go with what you got.
zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

01.24.2014 | 6:22 PM ET

If Henderson wins they'll match him with Khabib and give the shot to Melendez. A guess, but after Dana said yesterday that if Benson wins they'll take a look at what Gil's up for, I think that's a safe bet on what they'll plan since they can't get anyone else to fight Khabib. 

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

01.24.2014 | 6:30 PM ET

That's ridiculous if Habeeb fights Bendo and has to take that long between fights when he is healthy and ready to fight. The LW division is shook. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.25.2014 | 9:15 AM ET

@mule Thanks for a great sparring session.  Seldom do I enjoy sparring with someone who has such profound opposite core MMA values as me.  But you found a way to make it excellent.  I had a better time disagreeing with you than agreeing with some others!  Ironic but true.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.26.2014 | 2:22 AM ET

I agree with zarog.  Now that Henderson defeated Thomson, they will probably give Melendez the next title shot and match Henderson with Khabid Nurmagomedov.

It was unfortunate Thomson broke his right hand, but that's part of the fight game.  

mmafan2013
mmafan2013
  • Predictions:  106  |  69.8%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: -220

01.26.2014 | 3:17 AM ET

element knows

josh is talking about retirement and at the age of 35  i dont see him having to many more fights if any :(

"Element Knows"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.26.2014 | 11:34 AM ET

Just wow. Last night was the perfect example of so much of what is wrong with MMA as it is currently scored and judged. Close fight. Deserved SD (which should be Benson's official new nickname) but when they read the scores and the 3rd & deciding score was announced as 49-46, I raised my hand and said yes because I KNEW it had to be Josh because there was NO WAY Henderson won 4 rounds. Should've known better. Benson has mastered the art of playing to the judges. All of his strikes are intended/designed to LOOK impressive rather than finish. This seems so obvious to me. Rewatch the fight and see who disengages and moves away from STRIKING exchanges (not circles away from the cage to avoid clinch exchanges). 

Excerpts from the revised unified rules:

Summary of Changes: 

1.Effective Defense Removed as a criteria: 

Effective Defense will no longer be considered a requirement for the following 
reasons: 

1. The committee believes that offensive actions should be the only criteria 
used to score MMA matches. Offensive fighters are fighters which carry 
the fight and push the action, and make the fight happen. 

2. Defense is its own reward. A fighter who chooses to avoid using defensive 
actions will invariably suffer the consequences. For example if a fighter 
decides that they do not want to block or avoid a strike, protect 
themselves from a submission, or avoid a throw or takedown then they will 
suffer the results of those offensive actions being used against them. The 
only role defensive action plays is to keep a fighter in the fight longer so 
that they can attempt to score using offensive actions. 

3. Having two fighters avoid offensive actions and rely solely on defense 
goes against the basic primary consideration of any combative sport: To 
score using offense. 

“Effective striking” is judged by determining the impact of legal strikes landed 
by a contestant and the number of such legal strikes. Heavier strikes that have a 
visible impact on the opponent will be given more weight than the number of 
strikes landed. These assessments include causing an opponent to appear 
stunned from a legal blow, causing the opponent to stagger, appearance of a cut 
or bruise from a legal strike and causing the opponent to show pain. Cumulative 
impact on a fighter will also be weighed. If neither fighter shows an advantage in 
impact of strikes, the number of strikes will determine the most effective striker. 

“Effective grappling” is judged by considering the amount of successful 
executions of a legal takedown, reversals and submission attempts. Examples of 
factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, 
passing the guard to a dominant position,

. A round is to be scored as a 10-8 Round when a contestant wins by a large 
margin,

A round is to be scored as a 10-7 Round when a contestant totally dominates 

Timtek
Timtek
  • Predictions:  463  |  74.9%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 165

01.26.2014 | 5:54 PM ET

Someone's gonna have to step up and fight Khabib. TJ Grant or Bendo maybe? Most guy's don't want to tangle with him and I don't blame them. The UFC is going to have to keep the division moving forward regardless of the champ's injury.  

"I'm like a stepping razor don't you watch my size I'm dangerous. -P. Tosh"

mmafan2013
mmafan2013
  • Predictions:  106  |  69.8%
  • Forum Posts:  447
  • Post Score: -220

01.26.2014 | 7:35 PM ET

benson will get khabib i think

"Element Knows"

Page 13

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Volk: BMF Belt Makes Another ‘Blessed’ Fight ‘Worth Getting Out Of Bed For’
  • MMA Junkie : Grant Dawson draws rebound inspiration from teammate Dustin Poirier ahead of UFC 302
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Why would he be scared of Benavidez?’: Lampley says Canelo not afraid of a challenge
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Why would he be scared of David Benavidez?’: Jim Lampley says Canelo not afraid of a challenge
  • MMA Mania : Saint Denis Vs. Tsarukyan ‘Would Be Perfect’
  • Jits Magazine : Alex Pereira Challenges Anthony Smith To $50,000 Grappling Match, Smith Accepts
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Veteran Raphael Assuncao Spits At 10th Planet Black Belt After Disqualification Win
  • Jits Magazine : Big Names Hit The Mats At IBJJF Atlanta Spring Open 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! O’Malley Wants Sleepy Time For Mac
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Sleep Sean O’Malley’
  • MMA Mania : ‘My D—k Didn’t Get Hard!’ Brown Couldn’t ‘Get Fired Up’ About Fight Offer
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Snaps Back at ‘Sugar’d Up’ Conor McGregor Over Past PED Usage: ‘When Your Idols Turn to Rivals’
  • Middle Easy : Ian Garry Promises to ‘Slap the Mouth Off’ Colby Covingtong Within One Round: ‘Sign the F*cking Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo opens as big underdog for potential Sean O’Malley title fight
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Roasted Over Fighter Pay, Slams ‘Liberal F*cks’ Netflix During the Streaming Giant’s Tom Brady Special
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Felt I Can’t Say No’
  • MMAFighting.com : Heather Hardy reveals career likely over due to ‘too much brain damage’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 medical suspensions: Four fighters receive 180 days but not Jack Shore for leg wound
  • MMA Junkie : Weekend boxing review: Canelo Alvarez gave vintage performance. Is David Benavidez next?