Topic: Top Lightweights - 155 lbs.

let's discuss our LW rankings

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  39,188  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

07.12.2013 | 7:06 PM ET

alright bill hopefully this should work for you ...

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

Responses Page 12

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

01.17.2014 | 2:10 PM ET

Here's my ****. I probably have RDA higher than most, but I think his wins in the UFC have been more impressive than Thomsons one win.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 16 hours, and 9 minutes from now.
Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

01.17.2014 | 2:42 PM ET

Let's talk about some wild cards.  Does anyone think BJ Penn will return to LW?  Will Eddie Alvarez opt to come to the UFC after he finishes his Bellator stint.  His contract will allow him to go, unlike before.

Jose Aldo says he'll move up someday?  

Do any of these ring any bells for anyone in the house?  Will they push 3 current occupants in the Top 10 out the door?

* Edited at 01.17.2014, 3:08 PM ET *

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

01.17.2014 | 2:47 PM ET

Highly doubt BJ could affect the top 10 now. Alvarez maybe and Aldo almost certainly. Personally if Aldo were magically put in the LW division right now I'd rank him 2nd and think he'd have the best chance to beat Pettis. I still think Pettis would win but he's one of my 3 favorite fighters :)

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

curtwag84
curtwag84
  • Predictions:  13,940  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,695
  • Post Score: 273

01.17.2014 | 2:50 PM ET

If Penn wins I think he stays at FW and tries for a shot at Aldo. If he loses I think he will finally hang it up.

Eddie will be in the UFC as soon as Bellator allows him to be in the UFC. My only worry is Dana said something about him needing to beat Chandler in order for the UFC to be interested. I think they will take him either way because they dont hate him like Askren but he would have to take a pay cut from what UFC offered him the first time.

Aldo and Eddie would both be top 10 in LW.

"I'd like to take this chance, to appologize. To absolutely nobody. -Connor McGreGOAT"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.17.2014 | 3:06 PM ET

I think BJ vs. Jose Aldo would be terribly exciting.  BJ is a master at checking kicks.  I fear his cardio might not be up to a 5-round war.  But if he's lean and in top shape, he should last 3 rounds.

I realize that the UFC will not offer Eddie Alvarez the same huge terms they did the first time.  I think Hector Lombard sabotaged any chance for that.  

If BJ defeats Aldo, I think he'd opt to stay at FW for a while, depending on the difficulties of the weight cut.  Maybe if BJ hired that dietician guy he might stabilize at 145 but I doubt it.  If he beat Aldo and defends the 145 strap maybe twice, I think he'd naturally think in terms of moving back to LW.  At least that my humble opinion.  

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

01.17.2014 | 3:17 PM ET

Talk of BJ becoming a UFC champion again is quite premature. He's old, worn, past his prime and has lost a lot at the  of his career, cried and retired. Also has awful work ethics. He  didn't look all ripped at Nova Uniao, I wouldn't bet on him surprising us.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

01.17.2014 | 3:36 PM ET

BJ Penn has never retired. In the interview with Joe after the Diaz fight, he said he was 'done', but literally like 3 days later he said that he wasn't retiring. He has never retired, so I'm sure when BJ says "I'm retiring", he will mean it.

Also* **** my top 10 rankings, haven't edited this in like.. a year and I don't plan on doing so.

* Edited at 01.17.2014, 3:36 PM ET *

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.17.2014 | 4:30 PM ET

Bill, you say BJ is a master at checking kicks. When did he ever do that? I don't remember any of his opponents even trying a kick so I was just wondering where you got that from.

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

01.17.2014 | 4:49 PM ET

There was this

But other than that, I don't really remember him checking kicks.
mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.17.2014 | 6:17 PM ET

Thanks amp. Was that the 1st fight?

ProdigyKid14
ProdigyKid14
  • Predictions:  8,848  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,902
  • Post Score: 195

01.17.2014 | 6:19 PM ET

Looks like their first fight. Now that I think of it, I don't remember BJ fighting a whole lot of guys that throw kicks.

"I fight em all. Men, women, children, ******** people, it doesn't matter. If you hit me, we're gonna fight. -Charles Bennett"

JustynOfOsiris
JustynOfOsiris
  • Predictions:  4,334  |  57.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,239
  • Post Score: 122

01.17.2014 | 6:53 PM ET

"Is reality really realistic?"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.22.2014 | 9:43 AM ET

Khabib Nurmagomedov has called out both Gilbert Melendez and Nate Diaz.  Neither one resulted in a fight, for some reason, even though the UFC tried hard to arrange it.

Meanwhile Michael Johnson has called out Kahbib.  Khabib has so far not responded.  

I hope that Anthony Pettis renews his challenge to Nate Diaz.  I predict that Benson Henderson beats Josh Thomson and earns himself a top contender status.

I'm going to go WAY out on a limb here with a prediction.  I predict that this time next year, Benson Henderson will have found a way to reclaim his LW title.  Benson is as resourceful as the cunning Odysseus.  You heard it here first.

* Edited at 01.22.2014, 9:44 AM ET *

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.22.2014 | 9:55 AM ET

Another grinder who doesn't finish and seems content to win decisions :(

At least you're consistent Bill :)

I think everyone still underrates Pettis because Guida was willing to sit in his guard, defend subs, and not go for anything. I think Pettis is champ for at least 2 more years. Too hard to predict after that but the only top 10 LW who I think can beat him within that timeframe is Gilbert.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.22.2014 | 11:04 AM ET

Grinding out a win is the hardest thing to do.  KOs are much easier.

Henderson has only lost to Pettis and Pettis has only lost to Guida.

Henderson has beaten much more impressive opponents.  Melendez, Diaz, Edgar (twice), Guida, Miller.  In the WEC, Henderson beat Cerrone (twice) and Jamie Varner.

Pettis has beaten Henderson (twice), Cerrone, Lauzon, Stephens.

I'm not a big fan of MMA math, but anyone who discounts Henderson from regaining his title is selling him short.

* Edited at 01.22.2014, 11:06 AM ET *

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.22.2014 | 11:22 AM ET

I completely disagree with your 1st statement Bill. That's your opinion but hardly a fact.

There's more to MMA than just the UFC. Henderson has lost twice to Pettis as well as this: 
Loss | Submission | Choke Rocky Johnson Battlequest 5 2007.03.31

Rocky Johnson has a career record of 20-13 and to be fair he beat Benson in his 10th fight which was Bendo's 3rd but btw he lost his 5th & 6th fights to Leonard Garcia (10th fight) and Josh Thomson (13th fight) respectively while Pettis has lost decisions to Guida and Bart Palazewski. 

Now I'm definitely not saying Henderson CAN'T get his title back, I just gave my differing opinion that he won't for at least 2 years because I believe in Pettis assuming he can stay healthy. Btw, Bartimus' record going into the bout with Pettis (which was Showtime's 10th): 32-13 so I think we can forgive both for losing to more experienced fighters early in their career but once again Benson was finished while Anthony lost via SD.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.22.2014 | 11:31 AM ET

While I give your opinions all the respect in the world, Mule, look at the quality of opponents that they have each beaten.  Also, staying healthy is an important part of MMA.

I think Benson is much more motivated to regain the title now.  He has beaten Gilbert Melendez and Frankie Edgar twice.  While I like and admire Pettis, I just can't see him holding onto the belt with Benson hot on his trail.

But only time will tell.  Really enjoy sparring with you, Mule.  You spar with respect and insight.  We can agree to disagree as allies.

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

01.22.2014 | 11:49 AM ET

Thank you. Ditto.  Just one more point. While I agree that Benson's list of wins is more impressive, if you consider very close decisions as draws, which I do, his list suffers greatly (loses both Frankie wins and Gilbert) and people forget how competitive the Guida fight was. Pettis' win over Stephens also falls into this category. If he beats Thomson, I think he's in a much better position than either Rich Franklin or JDS because the WEC fight was very close and you could consider the UFC title win somewhat fluky (although I obviously disagree). I would say it would put him closer to Faber territory especially if he beats a couple more top 10ish LWs.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess

01.22.2014 | 5:17 PM ET

Looks like we're destined to remain on opposite sides of a great divide.  

I think Henderson is under-appreciated and doesn't get the respect he deserves, mostly from the hardcores.

The hard-cores prefer the exciting strikers who finish.  But connoisseurs of fine combat fighting prefer the intricacies of grinding, smothering and all-around polish.  Like GSP, Jon Fitch and Benson Henderson.

Of course, there is no definitive right and wrong with respect to better or worse.  It's a matter of personal preference just like with food, music, arts, movies, TV programming, and culture in general.

The UFC obviously agrees with you, Mule.  I suspect that when Henderson lost to Pettis, they were elated that a non-finisher lost to a flashy guy.  Just like when GSP went against Dana White FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME, DANA RIPPED HIM A NEW ******* ON TV, ON THE RECORD, FOR PUBLICATION.  

* Edited at 01.22.2014, 5:18 PM ET *

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

01.22.2014 | 5:34 PM ET

Hard to say the future of the LW division. Aldo could move up, Pettis hasn't been able to stay healthy at all (basically only Dominick Cruz has had worse luck), Alvarez could be coming to the UFC (potentially Gaethje at some point as well), and the division is kinda strange in that people in the top 25 are all over the place in terms of age. Benson, Melendez, Alvarez, Thomson, Cerrone, Sanchez, Miller, Maynard, Wiman, Guillard, and Castillo are all 30+. At the same time Pettis, Chandler, Nurmagomedov, Green, Johnson, Brooks, Khabilov, Gaethje, Jury, Barboza, Chiesa, and Rickels are all probably at least 1 year away from hitting their physical primes. Then you have the group of guys that are right in the midst of their primes with Grant, dos Anjos, Lauzon, Masvidal, and Diaz. To predict anything 1-2 years out in this division is a total crapshoot.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Page 12

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘People die, this isn’t a joking matter’: Devin Haney on Garcia’s failed drug test
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: People Die In This Sport
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Tests Positive for Banned Substance Ahead of Haney Fight, Denies Any Wrongdoing
  • MMA Mania : Cursed? Not Even Poatan Could Save UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Submission of the Month for April: One former UFC champ makes another tap for the first time
  • MMA Mania : ‘Big Lies!’ Garcia Reportedly Tests Positive For PEDs, Boxer Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Paul Hughes explains choosing PFL over UFC offer: 'I deserve to get compensated'
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned substance in Devin Haney fight, Garcia responds
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘These are people that are trying to attack me’: Garcia claims fake news on positive PED report
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Will Jose Aldo and Alexandre Pantoja give Brazil something to cheer about at UFC 301?
  • MMA Junkie : Reports: Ryan Garcia tested positive for PEDs in upset win over Devin Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Report: Ryan Garcia tests positive for banned PED
  • MMA Mania : Topuria Denies Refusal Of Volk, Holloway Responds To ‘B—ching Motherf—ker’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Steve Erceg aware of unusual title shot opportunity, still feels pressure to win
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 fight card: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • UFC.com : UFC Championship Fights That Have Happened In Rio de Janeiro
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira takes down Daniel Cormier in UFC 301 hallway tussle
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Alex Pereira forces Daniel Cormier to plead for help with takedown: 'Stop this guy'
  • Middle Easy : Canelo Alvarez and Oscar De La Hoya Nearly Throw Hands in Heated Press Conference Confrontation
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 3: ‘I could fight right now’