Topic: Top Lightweights - 155 lbs.

let's discuss our LW rankings

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

gunn4206
gunn4206
  • Predictions:  38,829  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  7,834
  • Post Score: 249

07.12.2013 | 7:06 PM ET

alright bill hopefully this should work for you ...

"RIP Bill Burgess , RIP CthuluJones"

Responses Page 8

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

10.24.2013 | 11:00 PM ET

Now we gotta talk about Cerrone at number 6 homie......xD @Ben

* Edited at 10.24.2013, 11:02 PM ET *

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

10.24.2013 | 11:23 PM ET

@buffalo ben If you are honestly sincere about what you just said, I will be unbiased with our future interactions on this site. You do come across as ridiculously pretentious because of your need to correct everything but if you seriously want to just learn more about the sport, so be it.

Alright then, I'll educate you Buffalo Ben instead of calling your idea idiotic. The reason why Diego Sanchez being ranked in the top 10 is absurd is solely because of his record.

Diego Sanchez is 3-2 in the lightweight division, with his only wins coming off an absolute robbery versus Takanori Gomi, a razor-close split decision against Clay Guida (one of the greatest fights of all-time mind you) and a solid decision win over Joe Stevenson who, at the time, was a solid fighter to have a win over.

Diego's two losses come to Gilbert Melendez, a fight in which he was significantly dominated in sans the third round knockdown, and BJ Penn in what was one of the most abominable beatdowns ever laid in lightweight history.

This is a classic case of seeing value in his losses rather than his wins. Because Diego has arguably lost to the best lightweight on the planet at the time he faced them, it makes him look stronger. However, his ranking should be determined by the quality of his wins rather than his losses.

Mike Pierce is another example of a fighter who people ranked highly not because of his wins (which were against decent opposition at best) but because of his amazing showings in his losses to three former number one contenders, in which he arguably won two of those fights.

Diego Sanchez's numbers simply do not make a case for him being ranked in the top 10 of the lightweight division. It would literally make no sense.

This is also coming from a huge Diego Sanchez fan.

* Edited at 10.24.2013, 11:23 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.24.2013 | 11:31 PM ET

You are right about Diego Sanchez ¨This is a classic case of seeing value in his losses rather than his wins.¨ That´s teh missing link in my interpretation of Diego. I am no longer confussed about the subject. 

I am being sincere about all of this. I am an extremely analytical person, which doesn´t mean that i´m inteligent, just, i guess you could say, obsessed with details. Im glad we understand each other better because honestly i think i think you have a lot to offer as far as your insight into mma. 

Full disclosure, i often find you incredibly anoying as well, but you already knew that. 

* Edited at 10.24.2013, 11:34 PM ET *

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

10.25.2013 | 2:40 AM ET

@bennie boy You are doing just fine.  

@Nomad You are pretty weird and very disrespectful.  I have not insulted you yet you insult me.  I have picked 247 fights and have a 70.4 success rate.  In all weight divisions.  Is that alright with you?

You don't like my old Norman Rockwell photo of me and an old girlfriend?  And you think MY avatar is strange?  Have you seen some of the ones posted here?  They make strange obsolete.  And not Jewish by the way.  Not that there is anything wrong with being Jewish!  Was raised a nice Catholic kid and have had to unlearn all the lies.

@more to bennie boy  PLEASE don't grovel before an immature 18-year old who thinks they are the smartest person in the room.  He isn't.  He tries way to hard to impress and some of his assertions are just plain wrong.

To tell the house that we shouldn't consider the quality of a fighter's losses is stupid, stupid, stupid.

A man might fight better in losing than winning.  Happens all the time.  That's why sometimes a man's stock will actually go up following a loss.  Cases in point: Griffin vs. Bonnar 1, Gustafsson vs. Jones, Sanchez vs. Melendez, Condit vs. GSP.  And that doesn't include those fights when fighters were robbed by bad judging, such as Gomi vs. Sanchez, Kampmann vs. Sanchez, Vera vs. Couture.

As far as I'm concerned, and I'm sure the house will concur, you're every bit as good a judge of MMA as AnikM, and a far, far more mature man.  And if you require evidence, just look at his Top 10 LWs.  Cerrone?  No Nurmagomedov.  

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Kpro
Kpro
  • Predictions:  11,208  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,927
  • Post Score: 255

10.25.2013 | 3:43 AM ET

Khabib & RDA round out my top dozen.  Both need a top 10 win to move into the elite tier but have beaten everyone put in front of them, so hopefully they each get a top 10 opponent next.

EDIT: Cal1 shows me how closely I've followed the last few months.  Khabib Sambo's his way into the top 10.

* Edited at 10.25.2013, 9:06 AM ET *

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

10.25.2013 | 8:06 AM ET

Pat Healy was a top 10 win for Khabib Kbro. Healy choked out your #10

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

ladylover213
ladylover213
  • Predictions:  5,411  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  392
  • Post Score: 48

10.25.2013 | 8:30 AM ET

i didnt read the previous comments but i havent posted in a very long time and ive always enjoyed the ranking threads so heres mine.
cnt wait to here from anik on this lmao its been awhile

"Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.25.2013 | 10:01 AM ET

T.J. Grant is ahead of Pettis b/c imo he would beat him but is being kept down by the lil man. (dfw) The man does not think he can  sell any ppv's with Grant fighting. Chandler is #1 b/c he dominates his opponents and we all know there is a major Bellator bias on here. So it is written, so it shall come to pass.
Kpro
Kpro

10.25.2013 | 10:11 AM ET

I think TJ Grant would sell, look at the numbers the going-on-a-half-decade-less-exciting-version-of-GSP pulls.  Canada buys PPV's headlined by Canadian fighters.  You want **** PPV buys, book Brazilian headliners not named Anderson (yes, that means all of Nova Uniao).  It's TJ that has pulled out of two straight title fights.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

10.25.2013 | 10:15 AM ET

Wolf!  My partner!  Always a pleasure to run and howl with the pack!  Any chance I can persuade you to swap out Cerrone and Tibau for Melendez and Maynard?

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.25.2013 | 10:18 AM ET

You really believe he pulled out of two title fights? That is the ufc's version. I have not heard Grant talk even once about it. The guy was knocking out fighters left and right. It's his only chance at a decent payday to fight for the title. Why would he not take it? Because you believe everything DFW says.

P.S. I'm always with you BB and we are like brothers since I know we both grew up catholic. I got to stand my ground on the LW rankings though. I'm  happy you" de-followed " the teenybopper. Lol.

* Edited at 10.25.2013, 10:21 AM ET *

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.25.2013 | 10:20 AM ET

Strange that Pettis is defending his belt against Josh Thomson instead of TJ Grant.

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Kpro
Kpro

10.25.2013 | 10:20 AM ET

I've been in jail for months, I have no clue what happened, heh.  I'll take your word, not DFW's.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

bklettke
bklettke
  • Predictions:  2,109  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,761
  • Post Score: 117

10.25.2013 | 10:21 AM ET

Uncle Dana has nothing to do with the TJ Grant situation. If that's the case, then i'd assume you had Rashad Evans as better than Jon Jones before they fought.... the scenario was much like TJs....

I think TJ is dangerous, but a win over a broken Gray Maynard (thanks Frankie Edgard!) doesn't make him better than Pettis, Melendez, or Benson.

TJ will either fall into his title shot like Pettis eventually did, or he'll fight one more fight to get his title shot. The fight that makes the most sense for the next challenger right now is with Gil anyways.

bklettke
bklettke

10.25.2013 | 10:22 AM ET

I'd suggest doing some google searches Wolf, he's talked about his concussion from rolling in BJJ several times
wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.25.2013 | 10:24 AM ET

Josh Thompson won one fight in the ufc and is fighting Pettis for the belt and you don't think Grant deserves a shot after all his wins. Pleaassse. It's all about the Benjamins and you know it.
Kpro
Kpro

10.25.2013 | 10:28 AM ET

TJ would outsell Thomson fighting Pettis even though he doesn't "seem" as marketable.  Having a country behind you does wonders.

"I Stab Waterbeds!"

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

10.25.2013 | 10:30 AM ET

@Bill, why would I have a problem with your pick percentages or numbers? I was just saying a member for over 2 years with 4,439 posts yet only 247 picks? Odd, the fact that you brought up your 70% when I didn't as some sort of defense makes me think you cherry pick the **** out of fights so you can feel a lil establishes about having a high pick % though. 

Also, I just want to apologize all that I said was distasteful of me. You do seem to speak on here condescendingly though, you might want to give that a little thought...For real yo. Also you look like a jew so I just assumed from all the jokes it wasn't a coincidence and having a picture of a past relationship decades ago as an avatar on an Mixed Martial Arts forum? Yeah yours is weirder than everyone elses, nothing wrong with that though, old man.

Also nothing wrong with jews...I mean, no more wrong than anyone else... עם אוהב את האח שלי.

* Edited at 10.25.2013, 10:36 AM ET *

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

bklettke
bklettke

10.25.2013 | 10:34 AM ET

Never once did i say Grant doesn't deserve his title shot, he earned it and was in line.... then he got KTFO training for a fight and isn't recovering as well as he expected. Like i said, do some google searches and read his interviews, i believe mmajunkie did one with him after he backed out of 164 where he clearly defines that taking care of his brain/mental health/longevity is much more important to him than pushing thru TBI for a title shot. Opinions are one thing, facts are another.
BlackSwan
BlackSwan
  • Predictions:  6,229  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  165
  • Post Score: 105

10.25.2013 | 10:51 AM ET

When I look at the official consensus rankings, I have to disagree with having Gray Maynard and Nate Diaz in the top 10.

Page 8

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’