Topic: Best Pound-for-Pound Men

This is a joke.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

TacomaTerror
TacomaTerror
  • Predictions:  149  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  480
  • Post Score: 59

12.15.2010 | 12:21 PM ET

I understand why people would assume GSP should be in the top slot. He has dominated recently, put up impressive as well.

Anderson Silva, is a monster. He has an incredible winning streak, and even with the shaky performance agains Chael, he pulled out a win. You should not bump GSP above him for beating Kosheck. I think GSP will be top five MMA fighters ever but he is not number one in this day and age.

That being said. Fedor should be much higher, and Aldo slightly lower. I know Aldo is a monster and the future King of any weight divison he can get his hands on.. but right now he has not faced competition except for perhaps Faber, and Brown near his level. Fedor, has lost one fluke of a fight in any recent memory. I bet without looking it up you could not name the other man whom had beaten him. After he dominates his competition then I belive he will rretire as one of the best.

" ."All praise is to Allah, I'll fight any man, any animal, if Jesus were here I'd fight him too." "

Responses Page 2

Yaspaa
Yaspaa
  • Predictions:  173  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,422
  • Post Score: 151

03.12.2011 | 5:30 AM ET

I have him higher because I think he's better, simple.

"I Get Better."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

03.12.2011 | 5:59 AM ET

Even if he is better that does not mean he has accomplished half the things shogun has... pretty good pound for pound list except jon jones.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Yaspaa
Yaspaa

03.12.2011 | 6:38 AM ET

The official P4P gives the list according to achievements etc, my personal one is just that, I honestly believe he's right up there now, I think he's amazing, he finishes too, only two decisions I think, I get tingles watching. He's like a custom made MMA guy.

"I Get Better."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,564
  • Post Score: 275

03.12.2011 | 7:26 AM ET

My *guess* is that a year or two from now Jon Jones will be up there on almost everyone's lists.  Then it's a question of how much you want to build your P4P list on past accomplishments vs fighting potential vs whatever.

Seems like I come in somewhere in between Yaspaa and thiagosilva. I've got Shogun at 4 P4P and Jones at 9 (pretty high), even though I expect Jones to win next weekend.

"I live, I die, I live again."

jerry5
jerry5
  • Predictions:  1,893  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  179
  • Post Score: 81

03.12.2011 | 8:10 AM ET

Fedor should not be in anyone's top 10 heavyweights. Frankly, I'm a bit frustrated that he's considered as good as he is when he hasn't had a significant fight since 2005. You could argue that Sylvia and Arlovski were significant, and at the time I might have agreed with you, however in retrospect, both of them have fought so poorly in the past 3 years, I'm baffled they were ever champions. Rounding out the rest of his record is a middleweight (Matt Lindland), Mark Coleman, Hong Man Choi, Brett Rogers, Mark Hunt and...Zuluzhino? Really? It was smart of Fedor not to jump to the UFC after affliction. He can't hang with Carwin, Velasquez, Mir, Lesnar, dos Santos... I think Roy Nelson would beat Fedor, to be totally honest.

Furthermore, why is everyone always surprised when Werdum wins. The guy is awesome. He's beaten Gonzaga (when he was still a contender, though following that his record is checkered at best), Overeem, and Antonio Silva. Seriously, those weren't 3 flukes, Werdum is a great fighter.

Don't consider age when determining whether a fighter will be P4P top ten next year. Randy Couture didn't ruin anything. People have different genetics and different body types along with different physical experiences in life. There's also a mental and strategic aspect to the sport that's commonly over looked. It is true there is a peak in your athletic career, however determining when that will occur is very difficult and all the factors listed above should be taken into consideration. In general, yes most fighters can't fight into their 40's, but some are capable of it.

I won't say anything negative to anyone for having BJ Penn in their top ten. But if you claim the P4P top ten is for accomplishments not potential, then I might. BJ is a great fighter, but right now he's 3-3-1 in past 7. I don't think the Matt Hughes fight had any significance for active competition in the Welterweight division. I also don't think Penn fought a draw with Fitch (I saw it 29-27).

Please don't say Silva is an unorthodox striker. (Unless you're talking southpaw). He is extremely traditional. All of his strikes are precise because they are time tested attacks that draw from a solid knowledge of boxing, muay thai, capoeira and tae kwon do. Comparing Jones and Silva is like comparing Rampage and Rashad. There are some similarities but they are just two completely different kinds of fighters. Besides I don't think Jones has a black belt in BJJ, and I'm pretty sure Silva can't wrestle like Jones.

"The young grow old, our pain and toys get bigger"

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

03.12.2011 | 8:18 AM ET

I'm looking forward to having Jon Jones on my pound-for-pound list, but right now I can't possibly justify putting him there as big a fan as I am.  I look at potential and accomplishments, but more so the accomplishments and where they're currently at. 
Jon Jones has beaten Bader, Vera, Bonnar, all guys who probably aren't even close to the top 50 pound-for-pound fighters so the fact that I have him in my top 15 seems generous as it is.  A win over Shogun will have him at number 5 for me.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

Yaspaa
Yaspaa

03.12.2011 | 8:29 AM ET

No, haha, I don't mean Silva's a southpaw, it's just nobody strikes like him in the same way, he's unique, and nobody strikes like Jones either, they stand out.

"I Get Better."

Babywads
Babywads
  • Predictions:  767  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  129
  • Post Score: 116

03.18.2011 | 12:41 PM ET

I have Jones at number 10 p4p but only til he beats Shogun!  Bonnar is a good fighter, Vera was number 9, and Bader was like number 7 LHW when he fought Jones.  Jones destroyed two top ten LHW fighters and he has the Greg Jackson advantage.  I personally believe that if he fought any other LHW he would win, because he is better.  The list is not p4p most accomplished, it's p4p best fighters.  Not belts, names they beat, or unbeaten streaks, but skill.
Yaspaa
Yaspaa

03.18.2011 | 1:14 PM ET

Bader was ranked 5 when he fought Jones and dropped to 7 after the loss. If Jones loses to Shogun he will drop out of my top 10.

"I Get Better."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

03.18.2011 | 2:39 PM ET

No way was Bader 5th he might of been 7th and this is from a Bader fan.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

03.18.2011 | 3:26 PM ET

Looks like a lot of people are jumping the gun on things. I try to never put the cart before the horse. If Jones beats Shogun then he will enter the P4P right now his best win is the #6 LHW in the world with 0 other top 10 wins. A win like that sneaks you into top 5 in your weight class but not in the top 10 p4p regardless of potential. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Yaspaa
Yaspaa

03.18.2011 | 3:27 PM ET

Incorrect, Bader was ranked 5. After the Jones fight, Jones was ranked higher so Bader's rank dropped to 7.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/rankings/light_heavyweight/detail/1770754

This shows current and previous rankings.

"I Get Better."

Bigj383
Bigj383

03.18.2011 | 3:39 PM ET

Either way it's only 1 top 5 wins still doesn't put him in the top p4p. and not above the top 5 guys with wins over #1 fighters. If Jones beats Shogun he makes the top 10 P4P not until then. 

Yaspaa
Yaspaa

03.18.2011 | 3:49 PM ET

It's a personal list of what I think right now, I think Bones is 3 at the moment, all my top 5 are dominant fighters. You can't tell me you think Rashad can take him, or that Fitch and Maynard are on the same level, He's a natural who will make no 1 at some point. If we all thought the same, it would a be a pretty boring experience.

"I Get Better."

Bigj383
Bigj383

03.18.2011 | 4:04 PM ET

Who I think would win in a fight doesn't matter. I'm picking Jon Jones to beat Shogun doesn't mean I think Jones should be ranked higher. Rashad has simply accomplished more with his wins over Liddell, Forrest, Rampage, and Silva hell even Bisping. Jones has Bader, Matyushenko, Vera, then guys like O'Brien and Gusmao. They both have wins over Bonnar. 

Yaspaa
Yaspaa

03.18.2011 | 4:08 PM ET

You think Jones will win but Shogun should be ranked higher? See I don't get that, Rashad didn't demolish any of those guys, they were all tough fights. The fastest car in the world with no wins is still the fastest car in the world. :)

"I Get Better."

Bigj383
Bigj383

03.18.2011 | 4:24 PM ET

Of course I think Shogun should be ranked higher he's accomplished more. I don't pretend I know for sure who will win. If I knew who would win every fight I would be $500 richer many times over. My picking rate is only 59% which means I think the wrong guy will win 41% of the time. I could get a higher % by cherry picking events but I pick any fight where the fighter has a record I can analyze with the exception of guys with less than a couple wins or no wins or fights between two unknown fighters with ridiculously bad records. I can't say I trust your picking abilities any better. 

If Jones loses your rankings look foolish or more of a list of your favorite fighters. If Jones wins I move him and my list still looks good. As far as the fastest car analogy, how do you knows it's the fastest unless it at least drives down the track. A car's speedometer could read 210 mph but unless it actually has driven that fast we can't assume it can. That is what Jones is right now, he's a car with a 210 speedometer but he's only gone up to 85. How do we know he's the fastest until he actually breaks the land speed record. 

Yaspaa
Yaspaa

03.19.2011 | 7:24 AM ET

You analyse the car's engine, aerodynamics, gearbox, BHP, torque, tyres, then you know how fast it goes. All you have to do is look at Jones and tell he is something really special. If he loses I won't feel foolish in the slightest, I'm 36 years old, why would I feel foolish if I'm wrong about a fighter? It's MMA, anything can and does happen. If he loses I'll move him and my list will still look good??? 

If Shogun wins, I'll be over the moon for him, surprised, but over the moon all the same. It's my list, my own, why does it bother you so much, it's not like it's official or anything. Maynard is a smaller version of Bader who got owned by Jones and can't even beat a guy half his size, Why is he on your list. I can play this too you know.

"I Get Better."

zerohours
zerohours
  • Predictions:  499  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  180
  • Post Score: 41

03.19.2011 | 1:27 PM ET

@ Yaspa - ahmen brother, It sucks that people are taken other peoples PERSONAL rankings to seriously! we'll see tonight who the better man is between Shogun and Bones and afterwards the only thing the fans can do is move on and focus their attention on the next fight.

"Even though my spanish is rusty, yo my English is Olde, 40 down, grab yourself an ice cold Colt 45 feelin alive drunk as **** in the daylight ready to die"

Bigj383
Bigj383

03.19.2011 | 2:00 PM ET

@Yaspaa, you can analyse the engine all you want but you get it on the road you really don't know you are guessing. You can put all it together and think it will do a 9 second quarter and it ends at 10.1 despite what you thought. You really don't know until it gets on the track. Part of the purpose of the site is to discuss rankings and everyones ranking contributes to the consensus. I used the term putting the cart before the horse earlier. You are putting Jones where he is based on potential. It's the same for people who put Alistair in the top 5 with his best win being Bret Rogers. It's your opinion yes but I'm trying to figure what you base your opinion on. But if you can gain ranking without proving it why don't we just give Jones the title now since we already know he's better than Shogun. Why don't fighters just take opponents they can destroy because looking good against lower ranked opponents seems to be more important that actually beating high ranked fighters. 
Now that you have Jones the #1 LHW and top 3 P4P if Shogun wins will you go around saying Shogun beat the #1 LHW in the world and a top 3 P4P fighters. Going with what zerohours said, tonight we are going to see who the better man is. Over the past few years Shogun has put in his time he put in his due he has multiple wins against top ranked opponents and deserves the ranking. Jones is an exciting prospect but hasn't put in the time and doesn't have the wins to justify such a ranking. I find it disrespectful to fighters like Shogun to let Jones pass him up based on little more than a feeling. Shogun is sitting here saying I've beat Rampage, Lil Nog, Arona, Overeem x2, Chuck Liddell, and the former #1 Machida and all Jones had to do do a few flashy moves and look good beating Bader to pass me in the rankings. 

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Submission Hunter Pro 90 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Topuria’s Goal? Highest Salary In All Of Sports
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Odds, Props, Parlays And Picks
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Vs. Potieria Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, April 30: Alex Perez joins top 15 at flyweight after upset KO
  • MMA Mania : ‘Holloway Is The Guy’
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie's Knockout of the Month for April: Max Holloway's buzzer-beater BMF finish a unanimous winner
  • MMA Mania : Prochazka To 185? ‘I Hope He Doesn’t’
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Confident Conor McGregor is a ‘Better Fighter’ Than Michael Chandler
  • MMA Junkie : Steve Erceg was eating KFC when he received call to fight for title at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia fight card
  • UFC.com : José Aldo’s Career UFC Career Highlights
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja Was ‘Very Mad’ With Strickland: ‘Shut Your Mouth’
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal reveals he made $5 million to save UFC 251 headliner vs. Kamaru Usman
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 2: ‘Let’s see who is going to get the belt first’
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker hopes Jiri Prochazka steers clear of UFC middleweight move because 'then we're enemies'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch stock car racing champ take UFC 301 prospect for 120 mph ride
  • MMA Mania : Welterweight ‘Do Bronx’?! ‘That Will Lead To Money, History, And Legacy’
  • MMA Junkie : Tom Aspinall says UFC 304 start time 'just not fair' for U.K. fans
  • Middle Easy : Charles Oliveira Insists He Did Enough To Beat Arman Tsarukyan At UFC 300: ‘It’s Very Complex’