Topic: All-Time Greatest Fighters

Mine.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

09.05.2011 | 8:16 AM ET

believe it or not the last time anyone did this particular ranking was 5 months ago. put on the message boards that is.

Responses Page 3

CashBrewyn
CashBrewyn
  • Predictions:  21,572  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,045
  • Post Score: 212

09.05.2011 | 1:55 PM ET

I got Tate, Coenen and Kaufman in my favorites which is only 37 fighters..would like to trim it down a bit but all 3 would stay

"My hearts pumpin' the blood of Royce Gracie My thoughts dumpin' the slug and point straightly"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

09.05.2011 | 2:00 PM ET

@cash. you could add zoila "the warrior princess" frausto and rin nakai. i do applaud you for having three in your top 37. :- }
minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

09.05.2011 | 2:25 PM ET

@raiman, thanks for responding with a well thought out response. I agree with a lot of your points, Wanderlei did fight a lot of guys that didn't deserve to be in the ring with him. However, I do think for the most part he was fighting the best of the best (Arona, Rampage, Saku before he took so many beatings) and even fought some of the best heavyweights (Hunt, Cro Cop) and Chuck was in the UFC where he was fighting inferior (in my opinion) competition. His biggest wins over Ortiz and Couture are definitely big wins, but they are both stylistically good match ups for him. I think if he fought more strikers in the UFC, he would have lost a lot more. Wanderlei fought top notch wrestlers and strikers.

I do think they're very close, and the more I think about it maybe I should move Wanderlei down a bit, but I don't think Liddell should be any higher on my list. 

"We Are All One"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

09.05.2011 | 2:40 PM ET

@Raiman.. I dont know why I have Tito ahead of Chuck ha ha...

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Raiman1014
Raiman1014
  • Predictions:  164  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  28
  • Post Score: 229

09.05.2011 | 2:57 PM ET

@ Minotauro you have a well thought out rebuttal but your argument hinges on an assumption that If Chuck fought more strikers then he would have lost more fights. Which is definitely a possibility but an assumption none the less. I also believe Chuck beating champs so close to their title reigns isn't taken enough into account when measuring their careers.

I understand that you can point to Chuck having better match-ups but I didn't hear all that when Couture whooped his ass. And I could also point to Wand having fought guys to his stylistic advantage he throws wild punches in exchanges catching dudes in the pocket.

He went 1-1 against Arona both were split decisions IRC and I personally don't think that Mark Hunt is all that great a HW or MMA fighter really. That being said you're entitled to your opionion and I, mine. Either way they are probably the two greatest Light Heavyweight Fighters of All-Time. Too bad we didn't get to seem them in The 03 GP.

"Hell is other people"

minotauro11
minotauro11

09.05.2011 | 3:07 PM ET

Hunt is one of MMA's best strikers, and in a fight where you are out sized as much as Wanderlei was, it's so hard to get that fight to the ground. In my opinion a split decision loss to him is an accomplishment. 
You are right that my argument hinges on a what if, for the most part. But he did fight and lose to Page, who got destroyed by Shogun and Wand.
My timelines are off because it happened a long time ago but I don't think Chuck was ever number 1. 

"We Are All One"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

09.05.2011 | 3:16 PM ET

Guys guys guys we will never know so if you have one ranked ahead of the other its your own opinion.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

minotauro11
minotauro11

09.05.2011 | 3:16 PM ET

True, but it's fun to debate. 

"We Are All One"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

09.05.2011 | 3:20 PM ET

@minotauro.. Well Hendo knocked wandy out.. #woo

minotauro11
minotauro11

09.05.2011 | 3:34 PM ET

That's true. It's a tough thing to figure out. I mean, styles make fights. Just because one guy beat another doesn't mean he should be ranked higher (also he lost the first time). Wanderlei's reign of terror in pride was crazy, he handed out beatings. To me, MMA's best LHW is between Wanderlei, Shogun and Dan Henderson. I think Shogun's still too young to be considered for the best of all time lists though. I have Dan below Wanderlei right now though because Henderson's years in Pride are full of a lot of questionable decisions (the Busta and Ninja fights come to mind). If he stays relevant for a few more years (and I think he will considering how his recent run has been going) then he will probably pass up Wanderlei for me. 

When making these rankings, fighters' primes are most important to me, but adapting and staying relevant removed from their primes is important too. 

"We Are All One"

Raiman1014
Raiman1014

09.05.2011 | 3:36 PM ET

When did Mark Hunt suddenly becomes one of the best MMA strikers? Being a K-1 GP winner doesn't mean you're one of the best MMA strikers, it means you're a good kickboxer. BTW he advanced to the GP after Sefo was injured so he really didn't even earn his spot. Dude has lost 6 of his last 7 fights with a career record of 6-7. Being a good MMA striker also entails being able to stop/get up from takedowns and/or defend submissions in order for you to set-up your strikes. Chuck Liddell was one of the best MMA strikers. He was able to stop and get up from takedowns 'member? You 'memeber. Yes he did lose to Page and Shogun but if memory serves me didn't Page recently KO Wand? So that MMATH is a little flawed.

Oh and 9/5/11 is when Chuck was number 1. By this guy! So mark that on your timeline.

"Hell is other people"

Raiman1014
Raiman1014

09.05.2011 | 3:40 PM ET

@Minotaruo "Just because one guy beat another doesn't mean he should be ranked higher" What? You just won this argument with that comment. I really have no rebuttal whatsoever. Good day sir.

"Hell is other people"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

09.05.2011 | 3:49 PM ET

@mino.. I wasnt really talking about who should be ranked higher I just said that because it makes me happy ha ha ha

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

09.05.2011 | 3:49 PM ET

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

09.05.2011 | 4:55 PM ET

My list makes more sense than wolfmans

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794

09.05.2011 | 4:58 PM ET

@heroak.. WHAT THE ****???? Not quite at least some of the fighters on wolfs list are good fighters.. haha

RWLawman
RWLawman
  • Predictions:  2,583  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,053
  • Post Score: 173

09.05.2011 | 4:59 PM ET

Pretty sure he re-created his list to be sarcastic. Hahah.

" "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." - Khalil Gibran "

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

09.05.2011 | 5:01 PM ET

thiago just proved that sarcasm hasnt been invented in Ireland yet lol

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

minotauro11
minotauro11

09.05.2011 | 5:03 PM ET

"When did Mark Hunt suddenly becomes one of the best MMA strikers?" 

I'd say out striking Cro Cop, Wanderlei and Fedor solidifies you as one of MMA's best strikers. I didn't mean he's one of MMA's best fighters who is a striker. I just mean he's one of the best strikers. And when you outweigh a striker by about 50 pounds it isn't like they can take you down... which is what made that a competitive fight. Yeah he would be impotent (I think that's the right word) on the feet against a great wrestler like Velasquez, but fighting someone who can't take him down, he's one of MMA's best strikers. 

And the Wanderlei that got knocked out was way out of his prime. When Wand was in his prime he ran through Rampage twice. 

"What? You just won this argument with that comment. I really have no rebuttal whatsoever. Good day sir."

I'm confused, are you being facetious (sp?)? This isn't the best example but Daiju Takase beat Anderson Silva, and Anderson is the consensus number one, and Takase isn't top 100. 

"We Are All One"

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

09.05.2011 | 5:04 PM ET

@heroak. valesquez looks real good vs all that equipment. however: equipment does not hit back. JDS with fourth round tko and the new UFC Heavyweight Champion of the world. :- }

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Craig Jones Announces Brand New 3 Million Dollar BJJ Tournament
  • UFC.com : UFC Welcomes Anker As Its Official Charging Partner In The Middle East And Africa
  • Jits Magazine : Mo Jassim Announces Women’s Absolute Division For ADCC 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Miserable, Mean, And We Can’t Stand Her
  • MMA Mania : PFL Salt Lake City Fight Card Revealed!
  • MMA Junkie : Bogdan Guskov proud to be first Uzbekistan fighter to enter UFC rankings: 'This is my history'
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Sides with Jamahal Hill in UFC 300 KO Controversy: ‘He’s Got a Point Here’
  • MMA Junkie : Victor Henry quotes Kim Kardashian after UFC on ESPN 55 bounce back from groin-shot no contest
  • MMA Mania : ‘PFL Is Not Making A Lot Of Money’
  • MMA Mania : ‘He Literally Is Always In Trouble’
  • MMAFighting.com : Beneil Dariush announced as 2024 Forrest Griffin Community Award recipient
  • UFC.com : Five Caio Borralho Fights To Watch Before UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson Will Be Sanctioned as a Professional Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Tatiana Suarez confident she could impose her will against Zhang Weili: 'My grappling is very, very good'
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘UFC 301 countdown’ video
  • MMA Mania : Sorry, Bobby! ‘Baddy’ Vs. Moicano ‘Would Be Very, Very Funny’
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Hernandez out of UFC 302 fight with Roman Dolidze
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 15-Month-Old Son
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Shares Heartbreaking Message Following the Tragic Death of His 18-Month-Old Son