Topic: UFC on FOX 30

UFC on FOX 30: Alvarez vs. Poirier 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,017
  • Post Score: 47

07.18.2018 | 3:31 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC on FOX 30
  • Saturday 07.28.2018 at 08:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: FOX | Prelims: Fox Sports 1
  • Name: UFC on FOX 30: Alvarez vs. Poirier 2
  • Also Known As: UFC Calgary
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: Scotiabank Saddledome
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Jon Anik
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $1,300,000
  • Attendance: 10,603
  • TV Ratings: 1.68M avg. viewers (2.34M peak, 939k FOX prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Dustin Poirier   defeats   Eddie Alvarez   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:05 Round 2 of 5, 9:05 Total Bout Page
José Aldo   defeats   Jeremy Stephens   via KO/TKO, Body Punch and Ground and Pound   4:19 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Joanna Jędrzejczyk   defeats   Tecia Torres   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alexander Hernandez   defeats   Olivier Aubin-Mercier   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jordan Mein   defeats   Alex Morono   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Hakeem Dawodu   defeats   Austin Arnett   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Islam Makhachev   defeats   Kajan Johnson   via Submission, Armbar   4:43 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ion Cutelaba   defeats   Gadzhimurad Antigulov   via KO/TKO, Punches and Elbows   4:25 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
John Makdessi   defeats   Ross Pearson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Katlyn Cerminara   defeats   Alexis Davis   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Dustin Ortiz   defeats   Matheus Nicolau   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Punches   3:49 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Nina Nunes   defeats   Randa Markos   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Devin Powell   defeats   Álvaro Herrera   via KO/TKO, Body Kicks   1:52 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses

TrollingThunderKO
TrollingThunderKO
  • Predictions:  458  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  33
  • Post Score: 61

07.23.2018 | 1:21 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1021st

Alvarez vs. Poirier II
Eddie Alvarez, TKO, R2
This is a phenomenal fight, and could go any which way. I think Poirier is better than ever, but in this particular matchup, assuming Alvarez is healthy he can take this fight in the later rounds.

Aldo vs. Stephens
José Aldo, DEC
Hard to gauge where Aldo will be after two wars with Holloway. Stephens has spooky power, which could cause Aldo serious trouble. Expect a leg kick war followed by gritty technical exchanges that will favor Stephens at range.

Jędrzejczyk vs. Torres
Joanna Jędrzejczyk, DEC
Torres has a shot here, but she would need to land a huge and overwhelming combo. I don't really see that happening.

Mein vs. Morono
Alex Morono, TKO, R2
Mein hasn't really made a show of bringing his skills together in a meaningful way. Morono may win this just on the grounds of being the less worn down fighter.

Dawodu vs. Arnett
Hakeem Dawodu, TKO, R1
Gosh, they really want Dawodu to get a win. That is interesting.

Markos vs. Ansaroff
Randa Markos, DEC
Bizarrely equivalent fighters. Markos has the advantage everywhere, but maybe Ansaroff has gotten her striking to the point where she would be able to hang and even surpass Markos in the middle and final round.

Powell vs. Herrera
Devin Powell, SUB, R3
Apparently they have taken a break from starting off the night strong. Ah well.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

07.23.2018 | 2:35 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 1338th

Torres is a solid fighter but she's got nothing for JJ. Easy 30-27 for Joanna.

Taking Stephens for the upset. I question Aldo's chin after 3 consecutive KO's.

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 2 days, 13 hours, and 51 minutes from now.
Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,822  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,007
  • Post Score: 207

07.23.2018 | 6:01 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 869th

Alvarez vs. Poirier II
Eddie Alvarez, TKO, R1
While Dustin had tons of success against Eddie early in their first fight, his chin and the fact that he's prone to brawl are too much of a liability for me still. I think he tags Eddie early, gets overzealous and put down.

Aldo vs. Stephens
José Aldo, TKO, R1
This fight will answer a lot of things regarding Aldo. I think he still has enough left in the tank to take a guy like Jeremy out, but he'll need to absolutely fight the perfect fight. Don't actually think he'll get a finish, but here's hoping

Mein vs. Morono
Alex Morono, DEC
I did not like what I saw from Jordan in his last two fights -- zero killer instinct. Don't think he'll get it done against a guy like Morono, who is versatile and puts the pressure on his opponents.

TheWhitestMamba
TheWhitestMamba
  • Predictions:  89  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 300

07.23.2018 | 12:30 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 4 of 5 Winners, 3 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 1536th

Alvarez vs. Poirier II
Dustin Poirier, TKO, R2
Fight could go either way, but I liked Poirier’s performance over Gaethje a little more than done Alvarez’s. Look for one of these guys to land big shot early

Aldo vs. Stephens
Jeremy Stephens, TKO, R1
This all depends on the Jose Aldo that shows up to fight. If we get vintage aldo, I don’t think Stephens will be able to maintain his power while repeatedly being on the receiving end of Aldo’s leg kicks. Unfortunately, I don’t think that Jose Aldo shows up. The Holloway fights were grueling matches, and Aldo had already been through countless wars. Stephens by early KO.

Jędrzejczyk vs. Torres
Joanna Jędrzejczyk, DEC
Tecia absolutely could take this one, but Joanna is still an incredible talent. I see the formerly champ returning to form and lighting up Tecia Torres on the feet.

Dawodu vs. Arnett
Hakeem Dawodu, TKO, R1
Sacrifice fight.

"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,561
  • Post Score: 275

07.23.2018 | 3:07 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 705 Points   |   Tied for 50th with 7 others

Aldo vs. Stephens
José Aldo, DEC
In a 5-rounder I think I'd go with Stephens to outlast Aldo. But with just 3 rounds I feel like Aldo should have enough of a gas tank to take a decision.

"I live, I die, I live again."

KRNage
KRNage
  • Predictions:  380  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  18
  • Post Score: 17

07.23.2018 | 6:11 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 683rd

Markos vs. Ansaroff
Nina Ansaroff, DEC
Randa Markos | Safe to say, she's not a very technical striker. Her game is to clinch and ground and pound. Her grappling looks kinda sloppy, but her top control and g&p looks legit. It seems like a fighter with great footwork, slips and combos could giver her a lot of trouble. Nina Ansaroff | Striking is kinda on point. Good combinations, slips and knees in the clinch. Durable. Solid TDD. Some TDs and good top game. Looked helpless on her back vs. Kish, but lit Kish tf up on the feet before she got taken down. ----------Verdict | Markos likes to come forward and just throw wild combinations. She'll trade in the pocket. But her goal is to get top control and g&p. That's not going to be a great strategy vs Ansaroff. Kish gave Ansaroff trouble because Kish hits hard and was able to outmuscle her, but she still had to work her ass off to get takedowns. Markos can't do that, IMO. I think the most likely outcome is Ansaroff by either KO/TKO or high volume unanimous decision.

KRNage
KRNage

07.23.2018 | 7:16 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Ortiz vs. Nicolau
Dustin Ortiz, DEC
Dustin Ortiz | I think we all know what Dustin's plan's gonna be. Mix it up on the feet not more than he has to in order to set up a high volume TD and ground and pound game. He's got some punching power. --------------------------------------------Matheus Nicolau | Looks he has good footwork and distance. Good counter striking. Fairly decent TDD.---------------------------------Verdict | It's tough to predict Nicolau having the grappling chops to deal with what Ortiz is likely to bring. Seems like he has OK cardio. But Ortiz will be relentless for 3 rounds, and he has the kind of style that really wears guys out. I think Ortiz grinds out a TD and g&p decision here.

KRNage
KRNage

07.23.2018 | 10:17 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Davis vs. Chookagian
Alexis Davis, DEC
ALEXIS DAVIS | Wants to clinch and go to ground. Absorbs a lot of shots. Not much head movement or footwork. Striking is sloppy. Has TDs. Good top game. Active guard.-----------------------------------------------KATLYN CHOOKAGIAN | Solid footwork. Good boxing and kicks. TDD looks weak. No TDs really. -------------------------------------VERDICT | This fight should play out with Alexis Davis moving forward, taking shots on the way in and trading in the pocket to get clinch and TDs. Chookagian will need to keep distance pick Davis apart with good footwork, punch and kick combos, slowing Davis down with leg kicks and defending TDs. I see this fight spending a lot of time with Davis pressing Chookagian against the cage, using TDs to ground and pound and look for submissions. Most likely outcome, IMO is Alexis Davis by decision. I just don't think Chookagian will be able to maintain her range and score enough to win.

KRNage
KRNage

07.23.2018 | 10:40 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Makdessi vs. Pearson
John Makdessi, DEC
Not too much to say here, IMO. Pearson may try a few takedowns, but I doubt this fight plays out anywhere but on the feet. Both these guys are decision machines. I give Makdessi the edge in output and accuracy, I think he'll be able to put together two rounds and point out a dec.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

07.24.2018 | 3:45 AM ET

Makdessi should win but Pearson could easily pull of the upset, especially since it is probably going to decision. Granted he's lost 4 of his last 5, but only one of those was by stoppage, and that list includes Masvidal, Hooker, ray and brooks. No slouches there.

Makdessi has lost 3 of his last 5, and those losses include cerrone. medieros and Vannata.

Pearson's last win is better than Makdessi's. Hirota was on a six win streak before losing by decision to volkanovski who is on a 15 win streak.  Makdessi's last win Abel Trujillo, who is...Abel Trujillo.

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 2 days, 13 hours, and 51 minutes from now.
KRNage
KRNage

07.24.2018 | 9:11 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Antigulov vs. Cutelaba
Gadzhimurad Antigulov, DEC
-----------------------------------------------------------BREAKDOWN---------------------------------------------------------||| GADZHIMURAD ANTIGULOV ||| Good striking and distance. Doesn't take a lot of damage. Decent TDs. Relentless grappler. Constant pressure against the cage. Won't stay idle on his back. Reverses, sweeps, and passes. ---------------------------------||| ION CUTELABA ||| Fast, explosive striking. Takes a lot of damage. Durable. Solid TDD. Good TDs and top game. Gassed by the end of the 1st vs. Cirkunov, and gassed by 1 min. into the 2nd. vs. Cannonier. ---------------------------------PREIDICTION------------------------------------- Cutelaba has serious KO power. Has a lot of weapons. He's a big powerful guy with good TDD and he wants to finish. Until he gets tired. Then he just falls apart. Antigulov, on the other hand, has a pretty good gas tank. He's going to keep coming and coming. He has some KOs in his record, but I highly doubt he KOs Cutelaba here. There are two outcomes I wouldn't be surprised by in this one. ION CUTELABA by first round KO/TKO. Or Antigulov by split decision after Cutelaba tires in the 2nd and spends a lot of time in the 2nd and 3rd either against the cage or on his back defending ground and pound. I'm picking Antigulov by Dec.

KRNage
KRNage

07.24.2018 | 3:28 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Makhachev vs. Johnson
Islam Makhachev, DEC
KAJAN JOHNSON - - Sharp kicks. Good footwork and distance. Low volume. Not much TD. TDD looks ok. -----------------ISLAM MAKHACHEV - - High volume grappler. Heavy hands, but not really a footwork and angle kind of guy. Uses his hands to close the distance and clinch and TD. ---------------------Prediction - - Hard to see it going any other way than Makhachev putting relentless pressure and imposing his will which will be TD and control. Makhachev by Dec.

KRNage
KRNage

07.24.2018 | 5:52 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Dawodu vs. Arnett
Hakeem Dawodu, TKO, R2
HAKEEM DAWODO - - Good power combinations. Hittable. Pretty durable. TDD is OK, but scrambles pretty well. -----------------------Austin Arnett - - Good footwork and combinations. Moves forward. TD looks weakish, TDD? ------------Prediciton - - Tough one to call. Dawodu's going to head hunt and Arnett is hittable. Dawodu will probably do more damage in the exchanges though. Arnett might get lit up on the feet and end up on the bottom in grappling exchanges. I like Dawodu via KO/TKO.

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

07.24.2018 | 10:58 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 275 Points   |   Tied for 1544th

I think torres, stephens and alvarez all win huge fights here. The best fotn for sure in there.
Alvarez has his back against the wall contract wise. Could make for a dangerous eddie.
PuertoRicanThunder
PuertoRicanThunder
  • Predictions:  6,463  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 100

07.24.2018 | 11:50 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1021st

Alvarez vs. Poirier II
Dustin Poirier, DEC
MANNNNN, the first one was such a banger, Dustin was lighting him up early, but Eddie came back like a beast. A shame the way it ended with an illegal knee. So close to call, but I gotta take Dustin by a close decison, might even be split. I think hes got the better boxing

Aldo vs. Stephens
José Aldo, DEC
Aldo is my favorite and I'm never picking against him. I'm a little scared but I think he gets it done

Jędrzejczyk vs. Torres
Joanna Jędrzejczyk, DEC
I dont think Tecia can weather the storm Joanna posses, but idk. Rose might have broke her

Hernandez vs. Aubin-Mercier
Olivier Aubin-Mercier, SUB, R2
I haven't seen enough from Hernandez to tell me he can survive the judo and jiu jitsu of Aubin-Mercier. That being said, I won't be shocked if Hernandez knocks him out

Mein vs. Morono
Alex Morono, DEC
Crossroads fight. Winner goes on the up trend, loser is one fight away from being cut probably. I like Morono, but its 50/50. Mein is just never consistent enough

Dawodu vs. Arnett
Hakeem Dawodu, TKO, R2
Arnett is way too hittable. Hakeem by KO

Makdessi vs. Pearson
John Makdessi, TKO, R2
Crossroads fight part 2. I like Makdessi here tho. He looked great vs Trujillio and I expect it to continue

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

07.25.2018 | 1:57 AM ET

I'm surprised the bookies have Alvarez at + 135. Little bit of value there.
KRNage
KRNage

07.25.2018 | 8:00 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Mein vs. Morono
Jordan Mein, TKO, R2
Jordan Mein: Solid footwork, distance and movement. Fast with good power and combinations. Good kicks. Good body work. Has good TDs.-------------Alex Morono: Good footwork, distance, and movement. Can get a little wild with wide looping shots, but generally low volume counter puncher. No TDs. TDD looks weak. ------------Prediciton: These guys are relatively comparable on the feet. Mein will be the longer, rangier, leaner, bigger guy though. The TDs are going to be there for Mein. I think he gets the KO/TKO

KRNage
KRNage

07.25.2018 | 10:50 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Hernandez vs. Aubin-Mercier
Alexander Hernandez, TKO, R1
ALEXANDER HERNANDEZ: Powerful, aggressive, and explosive. Tough to say how good this kid actually is. You see a lot of guys with crazy win streaks outside the UFC and end up being mediocre on the big state. This guy smoked Daruish in UFC debut. There is only about 2 minutes of tape on him completely steamrolling his opponents. Lots of finishes, but also Unanimous decisions which means he doesn't lose many rounds. -----------------OLIVIER AUBIN-MERCIER: One of the most underrated fighters on the roster, IMO. High-level, High-output grappling game. Hits hard enough to have to worry about his hands. Good leg kicks. Pretty durable, but got dropped by Dober. However, he was lighting Dober up on the feet for the whole fight before that one good shot. ----------------Prediction: Olivier Aubin-Mercier is solid all around. But something about Hernandez just tells me he's something special. I'm going Hernandez by KO/TKO

KRNage
KRNage

07.25.2018 | 11:19 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Jędrzejczyk vs. Torres
Joanna Jędrzejczyk, DEC
Really hard to see this going any other way other than JJ laying a high-volume beat down on Torres. Especially since this is only 3 rounds. Torres is solid enough I guess. But she hasn't faced the level of striking JJ is going to bring. I think JJ by Dec.

KRNage
KRNage

07.25.2018 | 12:52 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Aldo vs. Stephens
José Aldo, DEC
This one is very close. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Aldo's chin just yet. Conor's a lightweight and caught him perfectly, but he took a lot of damage from Halloway in both fights before he got put away. I think Aldo has a good style for this one though. His jabs, leg kicks and movement should be enough to avoid getting KOd and point out a decision.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC champion Sean O'Malley on delay for Merab Dvalishvili title bout: 'I'm not fighting out of the country'
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Mania : Hunt Files To Unseal All Docs In UFC-Lesnar Lawsuit
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall signed with PFL for Claressa Shields rematch: 'The goal is to make a build-up'
  • MMA Mania : NAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopez?!
  • MMA Junkie : Raw video: Max Holloway's BMF-ness, Conor's first belt and more UFC legendary moments – without commentary
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Amanda Ribas details recent stalker encounter: ‘He was telling people I was his wife’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Announces Date And Location For Amateur World Championship 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event