Topic: UFC 158

UFC 158 General Discussion

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

03.08.2013 | 2:57 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 637th

This is going to be a decision filled card I believe.  I'm positive GSP will win via Decision, but I hope Nick get KOTN in the first.  Every other fight on the main card could go either way depending on which version of the fighters appear that night.

* Edited at 03.08.2013, 2:59 PM ET *

UFC 158
  • Saturday 03.16.2013 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: FX
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: Bell Centre
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $3,710,000
  • Attendance: 20,145
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 950,000 | TV Ratings: 1.58M viewers (FX Prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Georges St-Pierre   defeats   Nick Diaz   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Johny Hendricks   defeats   Carlos Condit   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jake Ellenberger   defeats   Nate Marquardt   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:00 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Chris Camozzi   defeats   Nick Ring   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mike Ricci   defeats   Colin Fletcher   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Patrick Cote   defeats   Bobby Voelker   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Darren Elkins   defeats   Antonio Carvalho   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:06 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jordan Mein   defeats   Dan Miller   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:14 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
John Makdessi   defeats   Daron Cruickshank   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Rick Story   defeats   Quinn Mulhern   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:05 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
T.J. Dillashaw   defeats   Issei Tamura   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Punches   0:26 Round 2 of 3, 5:26 Total Bout Page
George Roop   defeats   Reuben Duran   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 46

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

03.17.2013 | 3:07 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 374th

Gotta admit. That was a good performance by GSP. Wish he would have tried harder for a finish. Diaz is hard to put away, but I still think he could have at least made a better effort.
Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

03.17.2013 | 3:47 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 511th

Few notes seeing as I was not on the Ology of tap tonight....

- Yes, Jordan Mein sounds incredibly 'Canadian" That stereotype comes from the "bros" who have a mixture of European English and southern American English. Also, to my BJJ friends, that is what you call ARMBAR defence. That was damn textbook.

- People need to relax on Yves Levigne. he is typically a good ref. It was pretty bizarre how Rocked Carvahlo was and then popped back up somehow - Levigne clearly already made the decision when Carvalho fell like a ton a bring.

-Greg - Boston Piza in Canada is a chain restaurant that is not particularly centralized around pizza. The name is deceiving. 

-GSP" I have been a fan, AND, Defending GSP since he started decisioning everyone in 2008. However, I'm getting tired of his same old schtick. He throws a jab, maybe a double jab, keeps his distance, wait for the opponents commitment, and goes for the takedown. Once on the ground, even though he is a blackbelt in BJJ, will almost never go for the submission (except Hardy, but Hardy is a fool on the ground). How many times did he have Diaz's back, or in side control and go for absolutely nothing.  If GSP wants to be considered the best fighter ever, if he wants to be loved, if he wants ot leave a legacy, fighting safe will get him nowhere. He repeats the same formula every fight - how else can you defend him? While I understand Diaz has a major obligation to defend the takedowns, GSP does nothing on the gorund. I really dont understand how he has the most significant strikes in the UFC. I dont know what is considered a significant strike. But for a guy who has the most 'significant strikes', he sure doesn't hurt people very often. He told people he can talk all he wants but "tomorrow I will walk th walk" thats all BS, he did nothing different.

- While COndit came to 'fight', its MMA and you need to be able to defend the Takedown. That doesn't even account for the fact he got TAGGED on the feet and if it weren't for his inherent chin, he might not have been able to fight the latter rounds. Unlike GSP, at least COndit went for it on the feet.

- As well. The fact Legz went 12/12 is...impressive. Take note to the people who try and debate that the best pickers are the ones who have 64% and have a ridiculous amount of picks. thats how you pick a ******* card. beating over a thousand people where the matches are actually known and close.

* Edited at 03.17.2013, 3:54 AM ET *

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

amp112
amp112

03.17.2013 | 4:53 AM ET

GSP will never be considered to be the greatest fighter ever because fighters like Fedor, Silva, and Jones all dominated while finishing their opponents.

This is fighting. The whole point of fighting is to finish your opponent. Fighters with a high finish percentage will always be given a higher ranking than those who simply control their opponents, no matter how one sided the fight is.

Another thing, right now, MMA is still in its infancy. In 60 years, when the conversation for GOAT comes up, GSP will most definitely drop in the rankings because fans in 60 years will really only look at a fighter's highlight reel.

I'm a huge basketball fan. When the conversation for best big man comes up, I go with Russell, Abdul-Jabbar, or Chamberlain. They played way before my time. It would be unrealistic to watch every single one of their games, so I watch the highlight reels and maybe archived games.

UFC fans in the future will not watch every single one of GSP's fights. When they see reels of Silva, Jones and Fedor submitting and KOing fighters in spectacular fashion, they will get a leg up in talks for GOAT.
edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

03.17.2013 | 6:01 AM ET

@amp112 I would rank GSP above Fedor and up there with Anderson as the best fighter of all time. There's no other fighters as dominant as them 2.

Saying fans won't remember him as one of the best fighters of all time due to lack of finishes is foolish.

You just sound like a sour Diaz fan because GSP just dominated him.

When you look at a lot of HL videos for example on YouTube, they're not all constructed of KO's and subs. so that pretty much negates your point.

Then again, this is a diff. debate for another time.
mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,502  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,792
  • Post Score: 180

03.17.2013 | 12:57 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 1032nd

Hope they don't cut Duran but won't be surprised. 

Just read thread and couldn't believe that, in referring to the bs decision in the Voelker/Cote fight, there was no use of the phrase "Montreal Screw Job"

Terrible stoppage by Yves in the Carvalho fight but great sportsmanship shown by Pato.

Ellenberger, Condit, & Hendricks almost made this card worth a PPV but everyone who was complaining about the 1st 2 fights being on the PPV was dead on.

Biggest stock up: Jordan Mein

Biggest loser: Yves Lavigne

Next Biggest losers: Mulhern, Tamura, Duran, Miller, Fletcher, Ricci, Camozzi, Ring, Marquardt

Hendricks didn't l'n'p, he got up and let Carlos up more times than he got up and his tds also interrupted Carlos' striking rhythm. That was probably their most important function in this fight. The reason Condit won the standup portion of the fight was because of his aggression & combinations. w/o said aggression, the fight would've been much closer on the feet and Hendricks wouldn't have needed to take him down as often but since he was being so aggressive in order to "outscore" Johny, he left himself much more vulnerable to tds. 

Agree with the idea of Condit/Diaz II

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

amp112
amp112

03.17.2013 | 4:10 PM ET

That's the honest truth of it. The intricacies of an athletes game are lost over time. People remember stats and highlight reels.

The only way I would ever rank GSP over Silva is if they fought and GSP won. Fedor had a storied career, Jon Jones is an animal, and I think by the time GSP and Aldo retire, Aldo will be consensusly ranked higher.

Not saying GSP is not one of the all time greatest. Just saying he'll never be considered THE greatest.
legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

03.17.2013 | 6:35 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 1300th

just finished watching the fights, as usual the prelims were more fun to watch than the main card fights.
I was sad that Nate got KO'd but it was a good fight, Condit and Hendricks stole the night, I didn't like the way Hendricks won, but it is what it is, my respect goes to Carlos. Diaz did ok, I think he showed he is one of the best strikers out there, Only Shields have landed as much or more than him and only a few fighters have put as much damage as he did to GSP and he spent half of the fight on his back!, what I was surprised about Diaz is his lack of agressiveness during the figth, maybe had to do with GSP TD's I dunno, I was surprised with GSP cardio he looked tired by the 3rd round, Nick showed his great cardio and prove the ones who thought his cardio wasn't that good wrong, and he did it inspite of his 1 year layoff.

Final fightcard score 7.5/10

* Edited at 03.17.2013, 6:51 PM ET *

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

03.17.2013 | 7:39 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 5 Winners, 1 Perfect, 225 Points   |   Tied for 1480th

Whew!  OK.  Now its over.  Our amazing WW tournament is now behind us.

I'm so glad the GSP / Diaz fight is behind us.  Another routine win for GSP.  Nick now takes his place in the GSP-defeated club.  I hope to see Nick fights the other contenders now.

Ellenberger and Story and Hendricks were the big winners.  Condit lost but lost in a great way.  He went done to a narrow loss with both fists blazing.  The way you want if you must go down.

After his win, I see no hope for a GSP vs. Anderson Silva fight now.  Now with how he looked against Diaz.  

For me the fun will be in how the WWs play out in the coming months.  And so much more!

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

03.17.2013 | 7:50 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 5 Winners, 1 Perfect, 225 Points   |   Tied for 1480th

So now I expect the UFC to schedule the GSP vs. Hendricks fight for this summer.  I had originally expected GSP to move up and take the Silva fight this fall.  But now I don't think that fight will happen.

After Hendricks, I think 2 potential candidates are Ellenberger and Maia.  Presuming they don't lose.  

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

new nola
new nola
  • Predictions:  24  |  54.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 400

03.19.2013 | 9:55 AM ET

The Diaz let down

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 1300th

Not only in the fight itself but the press conference before and comments after. No humility no poise no respect thats what i take away about Diaz as a person now. Huge let down. Sorry i was ever a fan of yours Diaz. :(
edwinx1903
edwinx1903
  • Predictions:  1,280  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,039
  • Post Score: 245

03.19.2013 | 10:44 AM ET

@new nola, I'm not sure if you're being serious or not, but that's common Nick Diaz practice, so I don't get why you're letdown by his trash talk.
theLastEmperor
theLastEmperor
  • Predictions:  1,404  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  130
  • Post Score: 129

04.08.2013 | 5:35 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 637th

"Pain is temporary Pride is Forever"

mike187
mike187
  • Predictions:  5,660  |  64.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,260
  • Post Score: 239

04.08.2013 | 5:53 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 511th

Strange that you would re-open this thread weeks later and not add anything.

"He told me he was going to **** me, but was disappointed in himself when he could not get hard."

Page 46

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Adames vs Gausha and Puello vs Russell reportedly set for June 15
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Don’t Care About The Title. I Just Want To Fight Jones’
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Required To Reveal Earnings From Proper No. Twelve Sale
  • MMA Junkie : MMA Junkie Radio #3461: Daniel Cormier and Austin O'Connor interviews, UFC preview, more
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia extend partnership for another event, sponsorship deal
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley aims for 'viral moment' in St. Louis homecoming fight at UFC on ESPN 56
  • MMA Mania : Dolidze Vs. Pereira Added To UFC Louisville
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC heavyweight Tai Tuivasa to appear on The Amazing Race Australia
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jared Cannonier Was Offered Paulo Costa At UFC 301, Admits Next Fight ‘Wasn’t What I Wanted’
  • MMA Mania : Jones: ‘Intern’ Champ Aspinall ‘Just As Selfish’ To Wait For Undisputed Title Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: Kambosos expects to end Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is retirement for him’: George Kambosos expects to end Vasiliy Lomachenko’s career with KO
  • Middle Easy : Stipe Miocic Reveals Timeline For Jon Jones Fight as ‘Bones’ Doubles Down on Ducking Tom Aspinall
  • UFC.com : Road To UFC Season 3 Matchups
  • MMA Junkie : Jared Cannonier vs. Nassourdine Imavov headlines UFC Fight Night in Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev predicts guillotine choke will lead to Dustin Poirier's downfall at UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis thought Popeyes was key to longevity, believes he’s in his prime ahead of UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 1 star Art ‘One Glove’ Jimmerson dies at 60
  • MMA Junkie : Jon Jones steadfast in Stipe Miocic fight over unifying UFC titles: 'I’m in the middle of a pretty clear decision'