Topic: Best Pound-for-Pound Men

Where do you put Aldo and GSP now?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

BeastMaster
BeastMaster
  • Predictions:  1,958  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,029
  • Post Score: 180

05.01.2011 | 10:35 AM ET

I put him at two just because if you compare Silva and GSP last fight Silva won more impressively. But I think he will come back up.What do you guys thin about Ellenberger Vs. Condit?

"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; but if someone lays a hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

Responses

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

05.01.2011 | 10:41 AM ET

I have to let it all sink in.  GSP is #2 imo and I think last night showed it.  Not just his performance, but you can tell he doesn't really have an interest in 185, which is fine, but Anderson has fought from 170 all the way up to 205 and had success.  That is the P4P king. 

Aldo.. I am not sure.  I'm waiting to see if anything comes out on why he gassed so bad.  He was nothing like that in the fight with Faber.  Ellenberger needs a step up in competition.  How about Rory vs. Jake?  Condit is lined up to fight already.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.01.2011 | 11:56 AM ET

I need to change my list, for some reason I have Jones ahead of Aldo, I feel like that was an accident. If Aldo had an impressive performance against Hominick, I would have put him above GSP, but that ring rust got to him. If he finishes Mendes I'll rank him above GSP, especially if St. Pierre keeps barely jabbing his way to decisions. Aldo is a fighter, GSP is an athlete.

"We Are All One"

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

05.01.2011 | 12:40 PM ET

GSP stays at #2. Jon Jones is just so great that it's hard to not put him top. I know he relies on being a big LHW, but I still think he's that good. GSP is above Melendez, Edgar, Maynard because he's more proven. All of these wrestlers are above Anderson because I think they'd beat him were they the same size. While I don't think BJ would beat Anderson were they the same size, he has much better TDD and therefore does better against the wrestlers, so he's ranked higher.

I think Aldo is around #12-14. I've previously had Mendes above Aldo in FW and P4P rankings due to the fact that I think he'd do well against him and others in the division. Right now I have him ranked lower though.

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.01.2011 | 12:46 PM ET

I understand what you are saying, but I don't understand why that type of stance/way of thinking is taken when judging P4P rankings.  Anderson Silva has beaten every wrestler he has ever faced.  Some people would have Bisping at #1 then b/c they might think he'd "do well against fill in the blank".  ya know? 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

giosanti
giosanti
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  340
  • Post Score: 131

05.01.2011 | 12:57 PM ET

I base rankings on how I think the fighters would do in future fights, rather than just by what they've done in past fights. What they've done in past fights is just an indication of how they would do in future fights. For example, Anderson Silva was easily taken down every single round against Chael Sonnen. Dan Henderson also had success in his R1 against Anderson. These things make me think that more successful MMA wrestlers would beat him.

Don't really understand what you're saying about Bisping. If someone thought that Bisping would beat GSP, Anderson, Edgar, Melendez, Bones, Maynard, Penn, Shields, Fitch, etc were they the same size, then yes he should be ranked #1 P4P. But to think that you'd have to be stupid.

"I'm what counts out here. You only exist out here because of me."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.01.2011 | 1:27 PM ET

lol.. you'd be surprised how many "stupid" people are out there.  I do understand what you are saying.. i do.  But, though Anderson's weakness was exploited, he still found a way to win.  The best at anything find ways to win, even when losing.  It is interesting to see how people rank P4P rankings, isn't it?  I'd like to hear more from other posters on what they think and how they rank this list.

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

05.01.2011 | 2:02 PM ET

I can't update mine from the phone. But not much has changed.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

Piercerdan
Piercerdan
  • Predictions:  22,701  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,987
  • Post Score: 212

05.01.2011 | 4:07 PM ET

I have jose aldo behind bj penn because altho he did great last night but he did look human 

"Fact: knowledge or info based on real occurrences, opinion: a belief held with confidence not substantiated by proof."

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

05.01.2011 | 4:34 PM ET

i don't have any reason to move either of them. @gio you say you have Anderson so low because of how he'd do against wrestlers but you have Cain ranked lower than him? You realize Cain took down Brock and stuffed brocks takedown. Cain p4p is the best wrestler in the ufc.

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

Heroak
Heroak
  • Predictions:  2,369  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,182
  • Post Score: 154

05.01.2011 | 4:36 PM ET

oh an my list is only accurate by my opinion 1-5. 6-10 I just threw in there. I need to update that part.

"Tell her I'm rich, and I'm good looking, and I have, uh, a ******'s wit."

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.01.2011 | 5:20 PM ET

1. anderson silva 2. jon jones 3. nick diaz 4. gsp 5. jose aldo
just five. gsp falls b/c of that performance vs shields and i'm putting diaz in front of him b/c i am biased and i like my fighters to be entertaining and finishers. the canadian fans were booing gsp. 11 of those 12 fights were either good or great. then gsp has to ruin everything. still one of the best ufc events ever.
wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

05.01.2011 | 5:22 PM ET

i guess i have to update my p4p fighters. after five i just picked fighters i liked.
DV8ed Septum
DV8ed Septum
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  559
  • Post Score: 142

05.01.2011 | 9:12 PM ET

Giosanti! Your percentage has fallen, i will catch you soon man you're slippin'. JBJ at #1 P4P? really? I see you're buying the hype, hook line and sinker. Maybe you're right but seems a bit premature to put him ahead of Silva and GSP to me, his pedigree is still developing and i still question how he'll react the first time he suffers a massive cut or a broken face or massive cranial hematoma (hominick style). Until he braves the dark waters he's got an asteric next to his name in my book. Curious to hear your/anybody response(not to hijack the thread)

"Grrr."

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.01.2011 | 9:16 PM ET

I agree with you Septum.  You can't put someone who has never defended a championship belt ahead of someone who holds the record for title defenses and someone who hadn't lost a round in over 3 years.  The asteric stays in my book as well.  What Jon has is unlimited potential.  Lets see if he can tap it first. 

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

05.01.2011 | 9:33 PM ET

i USED to think the spyda was number 2...gsp slipped alot yesterday to me....which is odd, cuz he won...BUT, losing TWO rounds of kickboxing to JAKE SHIELDS is troubling...he didn't handle adversity well..at all.

actually believe nick diaz is the perfect fighter to beat gsp...PERFECT...

2nd is jon jones, more because i see the mess of potential he has and his potential..along with how badly shogun got DETSROYED, just like everyone else...bad dude

jose aldo fell a little too, only because mark hominick was winning standup in 2nd round (aldo's specialty btw) and because he gassed...BAD! and again, its weird..he WON, but im VERY...unimpressed.

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.01.2011 | 9:37 PM ET

Jose faught his heart out.  I didn't think GSP lost those two rounds... maybe the 5th.  If things were measured by potential, I'd of been judged to be a millionaire at the time I was accepted into college.  Lets just say that didn't happen :)  Gotta prove your worth imo :)

minotauro11
minotauro11
  • Predictions:  2,483  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4,493
  • Post Score: 148

05.01.2011 | 9:59 PM ET

I agree with Kalibo on this one. Aldo had a tough fight due to the injuries, weight cut or the lay off, but he fought through it, and won. BJ Penn should not be ranked above him, there is no logical argument for it. He has no wins in his last 3 fights.

Also, anyone who thinks Anderson isn't number one or number two is crazy. He hasn't lost in the UFC, and just because he had a tough fight with Chael, people think he'll lose to wrestlers. He beat Dan ******* Henderson in the second round. He beat Sonnen. And he will beat Okami. 3 great wrestlers. Edgar, Shields, Melendez (are you ******* kidding?), Maynard, would all get ****** up by Silva. They have to get into his range to get a takedown, and when they shoot, he will blast them with a knee. Watch the Carlos Newton fight. 

Jones shouldn't be too high because he wins based on pure athleticism and size, size shouldn't be considered if we're talking about "Pound for pound". 

Anyone who has Diaz ranked top 5 are wrong too. I hate to be that frank, but it's true. Wait until he fights some decent competition to even use him in the same sentence as Aldo, Silva or GSP. He can't wrestle, and his BJJ is so over rated. Every solid wrestler will destroy him, the same thing that is happening to Nate will happen to Nick. People need to open their eyes and see that.

/rant

"We Are All One"

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

05.01.2011 | 10:02 PM ET

lol @kalibo

gsp won those rounds MOSTLY because it was pre-concieved that if it was standing, gsp was winning...admitingly, i haven't seen a replay of it yet..but thinking back it feels like gsp didn't do good in the standup post eye injury...but either way those were horribly boring rounds and at the same time i NEVER saw shields attempt one of those "funky" takedowns in the last couple rounds..not sound strategy...but wat can u do...

btw...with ur rankings how is bj penn higher than Jones? i understand prove urself...he HAS tho...Destroyed shogun, bader, janitor, hamill, vera, bonner....never ONCE being in danger...that speaks VOLUMES! while he's young, i still think he's GREAT

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Kalibo
Kalibo

05.01.2011 | 10:07 PM ET

My whole rankings need to be updated.  Only reason I had BJ high was b/c he has fought at LW, WW, MW and LHW with success.  I know he hasn't been great lately and maybe I need to re-evaluate a few of my rankings based on the last few months, but atleast BJ had the balls to fight at all the weight classes.  Anderson and GSP are the unquestioned one and two imo.  I'll update my rankings this week and we can re-visit my updated thoughts ;)

slapedurmomsace
slapedurmomsace
  • Predictions:  879  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  62
  • Post Score: 47

05.01.2011 | 10:18 PM ET

I had GSP and Aldo 2 and 3 respectively. I don't see any reason to change that yet. If either or give another performance like they just did (though GSP had an eye problem, Aldo gassed) and Cain destroys Junior/Brock Cain will move up in my books. Also may have to move Edgar up with a win againest Maynard. We shall see.

"Jackson the JRT..the original Rampage!!"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : ADCC Announces Date And Location For Amateur World Championship 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long
  • MMA Junkie : Marlon Vera calls out Petr Yan for November showdown after he previously 'declined,' Yan fires back
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Strongman Hall Breaks Pereira Punch Record ... Kind Of
  • MMAFighting.com : Coach Rafael Cordeiro: Beneil Dariush took time off after repeated head trauma in 2023
  • UFC.com : It’s Not Just Winning For Victor Henry, It’s How He Wins
  • MMA Junkie : Title or not, Jamahal Hill says Alex Pereira rematch has to happen
  • MMA Mania : Video: Hill Praises Pereira’s ‘Gritty’ UFC 300 Ref Block
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Mike Perry, Thiago Alves engage in tense faceoff ahead of BKFC KnuckleMania IV showdown
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference faceoffs featuring UFC vets Mike Perry, Thiago Alves