Topic: UFC 136

UFC 136 250,000 ppv buys

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

10.20.2011 | 11:51 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 824th

Thats so bad for 2 title fights and the return on Chael Sonnen...I know I didn't buy this card and went to the bar, maybe most people were watching from their local bars instead of home for this one!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/10/20/2502006/dave-meltzer-ufc-136-did-250000-pay-per-view-buys

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

UFC 136
  • Saturday 10.08.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: Spike TV
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: Toyota Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $2,230,000
  • Attendance: 16,164
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 225,000 | TV Ratings: 1.0M viewers (Spike Prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Frankie Edgar   defeats   Gray Maynard   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:54 Round 4 of 5, 18:54 Total Bout Page
José Aldo   defeats   Kenny Florian   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Chael Sonnen   defeats   Brian Stann   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   3:51 Round 2 of 3, 8:51 Total Bout Page
Nam Phan   defeats   Leonard Garcia   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Joe Lauzon   defeats   Melvin Guillard   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   0:47 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Demian Maia   defeats   Jorge Santiago   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Anthony Pettis   defeats   Jeremy Stephens   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Stipe Miocic   defeats   Joey Beltran   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Darren Elkins   defeats   Tiequan Zhang   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Aaron Simpson   defeats   Eric Schafer   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mike Massenzio   defeats   Steve Cantwell   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 3

redkayak
redkayak

10.20.2011 | 8:22 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 8 Winners, 1 Perfect, 225 Points   |   Tied for 1058th

sales tax

Most sales taxes are collected from the buyer by the seller, who remits the tax to a government agency. Sales taxes are commonly charged on sales of goods, but many sales taxes are also charged on sales of services. Advantages that a sales tax generally has over other forms of taxation are that it is difficult to avoid, and simple to calculate and collect.

"If you can't feed your baby then don't have a baby and don't think maybe if you can't feed your baby.-MJ"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,577
  • Post Score: 275

10.20.2011 | 8:23 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 550 Points   |   Tied for 73rd

"I think the ufc would still be very profitable even if ppv ended today."

No, given the UFC's costs of doing business, they would go bankrupt unless they radically changed everything they do.

"I live, I die, I live again."

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

10.20.2011 | 8:24 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 41st with 31 others

Stealing is wrong.
Downloading is not stealing.  Stealing is taking something that doesn't belong to you.  Downloading is accepting something someone is willing to share with you.

* Edited at 10.20.2011, 8:25 PM ET *

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Gregory
Gregory

10.20.2011 | 8:25 PM ET

What exactly is your point, redkayak, other than illustrating that you don't understand the basics of economics?

No offense, but... time to quite while you're ahead.

As side note, if you every look at a cable bill, you'll see that there's tax on it. 

redkayak
redkayak

10.20.2011 | 8:26 PM ET

and sharing is the right thing to do. how would your guys mother feel if she knew you didn't want to share?

"If you can't feed your baby then don't have a baby and don't think maybe if you can't feed your baby.-MJ"

Gregory
Gregory

10.20.2011 | 8:27 PM ET

@jody  unfortunately the legal systems of both the U.S. and Canada would not agree with your very righteous viewpoint.

Gregory
Gregory

10.20.2011 | 8:27 PM ET

@redkayak now that is a thumbs-up worthy post... haha good one :)

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

10.20.2011 | 8:29 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 168th

@trevpicks You may not like the comparison of shoplifting to downloading but it's the same thing. Stealing a car is grand theft and it's stealing a $15,000+ item rather than a $50 item that is a UFC PPV. Just because the UFC may change their model in the future doesn't make it ok to steal it today. Maybe when sponsors are willing to pay the UFC a billion dollar a year contract to air shows on network TV until the model changes you are still stealing. I don't think less of you if you download but I think people have to admit to themselves that they are stealing. The only reason you can do this is because there are people out there who actually pay for the product. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

redkayak
redkayak

10.20.2011 | 8:30 PM ET

gregory gregory gregory

your defensive tactics are normal,good job.

edit: lol now i feel kinda bad for my satire comment.

* Edited at 10.20.2011, 8:49 PM ET *

Gregory
Gregory

10.20.2011 | 8:31 PM ET

"I don't think less of you if you download but I think people have to admit to themselves that they are stealing. The only reason you can do this is because there are people out there who actually pay for the product."

Bingo.

jodybanman
jodybanman

10.20.2011 | 8:32 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 41st with 31 others

The government can try to close Pandora's box, but it's too late.  I really disagree with any law that prevents someone from sharing something that they paid for with whomever they please.  I wish I could afford some lobbyists to back up my point of view.

Because ultimately, it is sharing, and there is nothing wrong with it.  

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Gregory
Gregory

10.20.2011 | 8:38 PM ET

The government can try to close Pandora's box, but it's too late. 

That's not the point. It's still illegal even if the government can't stop it.  Smoking weed is illegal too.

I really disagree with any law that prevents someone from sharing something that they paid for with whomever they please.  I wish I could afford some lobbyists to back up my point of view.

Even if you disagree with it, it is the law.  In a democracy people vote for elected officials who then enact legislation.  If you want to change the law, how about running for office?

Because ultimately, it is sharing, and there is nothing wrong with it. 

It's your opinion that nothing is wrong with it. But it's a fact that it's illegal.

trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  86,713  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 433rd

@bigj383 i understand what your saying and i should be in prison for life then with no possibility for parole for the past 5 years of media i have watched without paying, in fact the entire north american population should be except for some tapology members lol. Also the person streaming and uploading stuff is all the law cares about and its hard to convict all the people running sites.
redkayak
redkayak

i saw pandora and thought what the hell is happening to pandora.com lol.

i think it is pretty much side by side with downloading and people watching it at a bar.i understand that the bars pay more for that to happen but the customer isn't paying for it.

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

10.20.2011 | 8:40 PM ET

I have been suggesting lower PPV prices before and was told that the UFC knows what it's doing.  They may know a lot, but they don't know everything.  

1. The no-names, even if they put on great fights, are not driving the PPV up.  They can be put on Free TV and get MUCH better exposure to build their names/reputations up.  The regular PPV are overly long.  All we really need are the name guys, and for a LOWER PRICE, which would increase the PPV buys.  To say blithely that that would decrase the total take may or may not be accurate.  Depends HOW MUCH lower the price is.  

2. I read a Fox executive saying that they intend to OWN Friday Nights.  I hope they follow through with that and program MMA.  They may have been referring to their overall sports programming.

For the 4 weeks coming up, 3 will be PPVs.  That will come to $135. for the 30 day period.  Not everyone will have that kind of money, even if we want them all.  

I think that the low PPV for UFC 136 proves that demand is a lot less inflexible than anyone believed.  I agree that fans prefer the WW, MW, LHW & HWs.  But even then, if injuries hit, the cards could suffer in buys.  To maintain a rigid $45. price tag irregardless of card quality is ignorant marketing at its finest.  When most companies are scrambling to survive in these brutal economic times & offering discounts, couponing, 2 for 1 offers, and various other strategies, for the UFC to continue to pretend that its demand is stable, solid and inflexible is a strategy begging to lose money.

The UFC would have everything to gain by experimenting with a lower price when cards are lacking in big-name drawing power.  Who's so bold to say that they might not have pulled in 500,000 with a $30. price tag?  Not even the UFC can know how many they might have sold, since they have not tried it.  

To those who insist the UFC knows everything about marketing, UFC 136 proves otherwise.  I'm not saying I know either.  I'm just more open to trying new things.  And I think they should be, too.     

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

Gregory
Gregory

10.20.2011 | 8:42 PM ET

By the way, I hope you guys realize that I enjoy having all of you on here discussing and debating. 

redkayak
redkayak

10.20.2011 | 8:42 PM ET

smoking weed is more stoppable than stopping streams and downloading. the hippie state even said no.

jodybanman
jodybanman

10.20.2011 | 8:45 PM ET

I haven't stolen anything since I was a kid.  I am a solid citizen, I pay my taxes, I follow the golden rule.

Some laws were made to be broken.  There's only so much I will allow the government to control.  

When the law infringes on personal freedom, **** the law.

Gregory
Gregory

10.20.2011 | 8:46 PM ET

"Also the person streaming and uploading stuff is all the law cares about and its hard to convict all the people running sites."

Laws don't care about anything. Laws are just words on paper. 

The employees of the UFC are who care about it.

Gregory
Gregory

10.20.2011 | 8:50 PM ET

I haven't stolen anything since I was a kid.

Some laws were made to be broken.  There's only so much I will allow the government to control.  

So you admit that you are breaking the laws that you don't agree with?  Isn't that stealing? 

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 58 results: Tatsuro Taira's back takedown leads to Alex Perez knee injury
  • Middle Easy : Tatsuro Taira Trips Up Alex Perez For Knee Injury TKO – UFC Vegas 93 Results (Results)
  • MMA Junkie : 'That kid's good': Social media reacts to Tatsuro Taira's injury TKO win over Alex Perez at UFC on ESPN 58
  • Middle Easy : Gervonta ‘Tank’ Davis Overcomes Slow Start, KO’s Frank Martin in Round 8 – Davis vs. Martin Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Man is a killer’: Pros react to Gervonta Davis’ brutal knockout of Frank Martin
  • MMAFighting.com : Gervonta ‘Tank’ Davis flattens Frank Martin with brutal knockout in 8th round 
  • Bad Left Hook : UPSET! Liam Paro wins unanimous decision over Subriel Matias to claim IBF title
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! ‘Tank’ Backflips Off Ropes After Monstrous KO
  • MMAFighting.com : Gervonta Davis vs. Frank Martin full fight video highlights
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva, Chael Sonnen fight to a draw in lackluster boxing exhibition
  • MMA Mania : Silva Vs. Sonnen 3 Highlights, Twitter Reaction
  • Bad Left Hook : Gervonta ‘Tank’ Davis knocks out Frank Martin in eighth round: Highlights
  • Middle Easy : Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen Fight to a Draw in Lackluster Boxing Bout – Silva vs. Sonnen Results (Highlights)
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen fight to draw in bizarre boxing exhibition
  • MMAFighting.com : Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen full fight video highlights
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 58 video: Brady Hiestand slaps on tight choke for comeback third-round finish
  • MMAFighting.com : David Benavidez cruises to lopsided victory over Oleksandr Gvozdyk in light heavyweight debut
  • Bad Left Hook : David Benavidez wins 175 lb debut against Oleksandr Gvozdyk: Highlights
  • Bad Left Hook : Tank Davis vs Frank Martin: Live updates and results
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Bellator champ Cris Cyborg scores KO in latest boxing match