Preliminary Card | Middleweight · 185 lbs | MMA
Tim Boetsch defeats Kendall Grove via 3 Round Decision
|12-4-0||Pro Record At Fight||12-8-0|
|Climbed to 13-4||Record After Fight||Fell to 12-9|
|+115 (Near Even)||Betting Odds||-140 (Slight Favorite)|
|United States||Nationality||United States|
|Sunbury, Pennsylvania||Fighting out of||Maui, Hawaii|
|30 years, 4 months||Age at Fight||28 years, 6 months, 2 days|
|186.0 lbs (84.4 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||185.0 lbs (83.9 kgs)|
|6'0" (183cm)||Height||6'6" (199cm)|
|74.0" (188cm)||Reach||79.0" (201cm)|
|Barbarian Combat Sports||Gym||Straight Rootless Jiu Jitsu|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC 130: Rampage vs Hamill
- Date: Saturday 05.28.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
- Referee: Steve Mazzagatti
- Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
- Bout Billing: Preliminary Card (fight 4 of 10)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 185 lbs (83.9 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Prelims
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- Grove Total Disclosed Pay: $28,000
- Boetsch Total Disclosed Pay: $36,000
Grove vs. Boetsch Wiki Update Wiki
The first UFC 130 bout to air on the Spike TV preliminary broadcast featured Kendall "Da Spyder" Grove taking on Tim "The Barbarian" Boetsch. Grove came into the bout 7-5 in previous UFC competition, while Boetsch was 3-3 in prior UFC fights. The bout was Boetsch's first at 185 pounds.
Grove came out flicking his long jab early, but was then taken down by Boetsch who shot in for a single leg and wrestled Grove to the mat. Boetsch stood up and allowed Grove to get back to his feet. Boetsch again scored with a takedown, changing levels for a double-leg and landing in side control. Grove regained guard off of his back and set up an armbar attempt, yet Boetsch escaped and stood up again. Kendall Grove was effective in the clinch for the next minute, landing strikes in close and keeping Boetsch on the defensive. The close round ended with Grove landing with a flurry.
The second round ended up in the clinch again before long, where Grove appeared to have an advantage in the striking technique. Boetsch landed a nice takedown and delivered strikes from half guard and then side control. Grove turtled up and stood to his feet only to be wrestled back down again with some damage beginning to appear on his face. Grove again made his way to standing again, yet Boetsch was relentless in his grappling and had it on the mat once more. Grove stood and Boetsch landed a nice low kick to end the round.
Tim Boetsch moved forward and pushed Grove against the fence early in the third. Boetsch landed a beautiful trip takedown and nailed Grove in the midsection with a couple of big knees. Grove escaped to his feet for a few moments until Boetsch shot in for a successful single leg takedown. Grove worked for a submission momentarily, Boetsch escaped and looked to be in comfortable position to win as the fight wound down. Grove desperately looked for an opening off of his back, couldn't get anything going, and ended up the fight getting muscled around on the mat.
All three judges scored the fight 30-27 in favor of the winner, Tim Boetsch. Speaking to Joe Rogan in the post-fight interview, Boetsch commented, "Phil Davis really affirmed my thoughts on dropping to middleweight, and I felt really good and strong in there... I'm definitely looking to make a run, big thanks to Kendall, he's a very tough opponent."
Grove vs. Boetsch Fight Predictions
Grove vs. Boetsch Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- Woke up at 187lb,going to airport to pick up my two baby's. Like ice cube said today is a good day
- 1 day
- Check this video out -- UFC 130's Tim Boetsch on Dropping to Middleweight, Kendall Grove's Limbs... http://t.co/shFhya1 via @youtube
- 2 days
- New spyder t-shirts for sale hit me up at MGM grand in Vegas tomorrow and Friday at weigh inns
- 3 days
- From Maui to Vegas. Can't wait Saturday night live on spike TV at the MGM grand Da spyders back in action
- 5 days