Main Card | Heavyweight · 265 lbs | MMA
Brendan Schaub defeats Mirko Filipović via KO/TKO at 3:44 of Round 3
|7-1-0||Pro Record At Fight||27-8-2||Climbed to 8-1||Record After Fight||Fell to 27-9|
|-245 (Moderate Favorite)||Betting Odds||+205 (Moderate Underdog)|
|United States||Nationality||Croatia (Hrvatska)|
|Denver, Colorado||Fighting out of||Zagreb, Croatia|
|28 years, 1 day||Age at Fight||36 years, 6 months, 2 days|
|245.0 lbs (111.1 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||229.0 lbs (103.9 kgs)|
|6'4" (194cm)||Height||6'2" (188cm)|
|78.5" (199cm)||Reach||73.0" (185cm)|
|Gym||Cro Cop Squad Gym|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC 128: Shogun vs Jones
- Date: Saturday 03.19.2011 at 10:00 PM ET
- Referee: Herb Dean
- Venue: The Prudential Center
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Newark, New Jersey, United States
- Bout Billing: Main Card (fight 8 of 12)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 265 lbs (120.2 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- Schaub Total Disclosed Pay: $70,000
- Filipović Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
Schaub vs. Filipović Wiki Update Wiki
In the first bout to air on the pay per view portion of UFC 128, Mirko "Cro Crop" Filipovic took on Brendan Schaub. Schaub came into the bout 3-1 in previous UFC competition and on a three-fight win streak. The far more experienced Filipovic entered the fight 4-4 in his prior UFC bouts.
Schaub came forward and attacked first with a right high kick. Schaub continued to attack and landed a pair of uppercuts in the clinch, looking to bully the Croatian. The fighters dirty boxed in the clinch with Schaub pushing Filipovic against the fence until being broken apart and referee Herb Dean warning Schaub for strikes to the back of the head. Schaub landed a takedown, planting Cro Cop on his back. Cro Cop landed an upkick to the head and Schaub stood over until diving into guard. Schaub landed a series of right hands to the side of Filipovic's head, then Filipovic nicely escaped back up to his feet. Schaub pounded away to the midsection in the clinch and Filipovic landed an elbow at the end of the first.
Filipovic telegraphed a left high kick that Schaub mostly blocked to begin round two, and Schaub brought the fight to the ground and landed another bunch of right hands. An upkick from Cro Cop landed as Schaub had one knee down, prompting a warning from the referee and a stand-up. Schaub out-muscled Cro Cop in the clinch and landed knees to the body but the pace was not fast enough for the New Jersey crowd. Blood started to stream from Schaub's nose after a short elbow from Cro Cop. Dean separated the fighters and took a point away from Schaub for another punch to the back of the head. Filipovic stuffed Schaub's takedown attempts and landed another elbow in the clinch at the end of round two.
Filipovic hit Schaub with a low kick to the groin on the first strike of the third round and the fight was briefly paused to allow him to recover. Filipovic landed a nice jab and looked comfortable standing, yet a moment later Schaub took him down, and then took him down yet again after he scrambled back to his feet. Schaub passed to half-guard, Filipovic pushed him off and jumped back to his feet. A left high kick from Filipovic was blocked, and the choppy fight saw single strikes and then periods of clinch work. Midway through the third round, Mirko moved in to attack and Schaub perfectly timed a right hand that landed on the right side of Filipovic's head, dropping him straight to the mat. Filipovic's head bounced hard off the canvas and Schaub paused for a moment to see if the fight was over. Not having it stopped, Schaub landed one more punch for good measure for the impressive knockout.
Speaking to Joe Rogan in the post-fight interview, Schaub commented. "It was my birthday yesterday so a knockout bonus would be nice, think about it Dana and Lorenzo... I had to showcase my wrestling because Cro Cop is so dangerous... I wanted to get him to kick and he didn't kick that much, but it paid off in the end."
Schaub vs. Filipović Fight Predictions
Videos & Highlights
Predictions | Bas Rutten Video Breakdown of Schaub vs Cro Cop report dead link
Bas Rutten explains the types of attacks and combination that Brendan Schaub can employ against Mirko Filipovic in this HDNet Inside MMA video clip.
Schaub vs. Filipović Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- Haha! RT @DevoIsMe: @PhilMrWonderful is #sowonderful that he got @BrendanSchaub his liscense plates with one phone call to the DMV #ufc
- 5 days
- Haha! RT @DevoIsMe: @PhilMrWonderful is #sowonderful that he got @BrendanSchaub his liscense plates with one phone call to the DMV
- 5 days
- lady at dmv not happy..then me not having all my paper work to get my plates was awkward..ill be back lady!
- 5 days
- RT @FVSTR Hey @MCHammer @BrendanSchaub @FVSTR: $5.00 TOWARDS JAPAN'S EARTHQUA... http://bit.ly/e5n6LB @quakefeeds
- 4 days
- besides myself who is the only other UFC fighter to win the Cazadores spirit award more then once?? Hint..he has an assisstant
- 4 days
- Good morning everyone! Let's play a game ill ask one question..who ever gets it right ill pick randomly to win some autograph gear
- 4 days
- Thank u! See u soon RT @FVSTR: Hey @BrendanSchaub ,thank you so much for the awesome representation of FVSTR @UFC 128,great job,thanx RIc.
- 3 days
- Thanks for the support RT @jsal2384: @BrendanSchaub became a fan since your last fight love ya man
- 2 days
- Man you know its been a long training camp when I just realized my temp plates are two months expired..better get on that #whoops
- 8 days
- 8 days