Topic:

Most Well Rounded Fighters

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

rayallen0
rayallen0
  • Predictions:  1,004  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  145
  • Post Score: 58

06.26.2012 | 8:40 PM ET

Liked this topic and thought it would be good for discussion.

how in the hell Faber outranks Nick or Nate Diaz is beyond me 

Responses

WilsonFisk
WilsonFisk
  • Predictions:  191  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  108
  • Post Score: 58

06.27.2012 | 9:48 AM ET

Diaz bro's are all about boxing + bjj.

Faber does it all.

"MUAY THAI - JUDO - BJJ - WRESTLING - BOXING"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

06.27.2012 | 10:09 AM ET

I think Henderson, the Diaz and Sonnen they should not be there, Sonnen and Hendo lack BJJ skills and the Diaz know **** about wrestling

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

dielegende23
dielegende23
  • Predictions:  20,935  |  71.6%
  • Forum Posts:  7,907
  • Post Score: 268

06.27.2012 | 10:20 AM ET

" I feel like Davy Crockett on the walls of the Alamo, swinging Old Betsy as the enemy swarmed in with bayonets. Sheesh. Listen you young punks....." - Bill Burgess

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

06.27.2012 | 10:30 AM ET

If you really think about it, there aren't many fighters that truly  have complete games.

Good hands, kicks, knees, elbows, clinch, takedown offense and defense, a good top game, and a good bottom game....  Very few fighters can claim to have it all.

* Edited at 06.27.2012, 10:32 AM ET *

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

06.27.2012 | 11:48 AM ET

You should just call this the GSP category. Pretty hard to argue against him. Take his 2 fights with Josh Koscheck for example. First fight he outwrestled the NCAA champ for 3 rounds; second fight he out-boxed him to 5 rounds. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

06.27.2012 | 12:46 PM ET

"Liked this topic and thought it would be good for discussion.

how in the hell Faber outranks Nick or Nate Diaz is beyond me "

How the hell you have Chael Sonnen on your top 10 list is beyond me. Please explain this to me.....

"here I come to save the day"

SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

06.27.2012 | 12:53 PM ET

Well maybe the fact Chael showed pretty damn good boxing in his fight with Anderson Silva and has since worked pretty hard on his BJJ bringing in Vinny Magalhaes and Neil Melanson to help that area of his game.

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

06.27.2012 | 12:58 PM ET

"Well maybe the fact Chael showed pretty damn good boxing in his fight with Anderson Silva and has since worked pretty hard on his BJJ bringing in Vinny Magalhaes and Neil Melanson to help that area of his game. "

Bexause SIlva was worried about the take down and even then his boxing was nothing to talk home about. Please when has Chael shown elite level boxing?  Im sorry but how does training with BJJ which every single fighter does now make Chael a high level BJJ?  I am sorry but these are pretty dam weak arguements.

Lets for example look at Rich Franklin. Rich is a much better striker then Chael, has better cardio and is much better at BJJ. Chael a better wrestler. How on earth does cheal make the list when fighters like rich, forrest, condit ect don't. It absurd. Chael is one of the most one demensional people there is in the UFC. When has chael ever won by anything but wrestling in the ufc?  Oh wait how has chael lost in the ufc? all by submission interesting no? 

Cearly chael screams top ten most well rounded lol

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

06.27.2012 | 1:03 PM ET

Where did I say he was an elite boxer or was an elite BJJ player?

barry
barry
  • Predictions:  1,157  |  57.0%
  • Forum Posts:  123
  • Post Score: 82

06.27.2012 | 1:06 PM ET

forrest well rounded,yeassss now

"im going to beat u into a living death-KEN SHAMROCK ..i am not a car, i do not rust-gsp"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

06.27.2012 | 1:07 PM ET

"Where did I say he was an elite boxer or was an elite BJJ player? "

By pretending he top 10 most well round fighters, which you just tried to argue. That implies he high level in all area's.
Which he not.

SoccerKick
SoccerKick

06.27.2012 | 1:14 PM ET

I didn't see my ranking for this how do you know where I have Chael...My post was more of an idea of how someone could put him in the top 10...Most MMA fighters aren't masters of every discipline out there so being pretty damn good in certain disciplines is a good sign of being well rounded

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

06.27.2012 | 1:36 PM ET

Interesting ranking, I'm gonna make it. Like Mr. Kelliher said, this should be called the GSP ranking because he is the only true well-rounded fighter on the planet.

1. GSP for obvious reasons, if he doesn't know how to do something he'll learn it in a week. 
2. Fedor had great takedowns (the best practitioner of Sambo on the planet), an excellent grappling game and technically sound boxing that people considered sloppy, but it really wasn't.
3. Jose Aldo's striking is arguably the best in MMA today, while he doesn't possess the accuracy and creativity of Anderson's striking he definitely makes up for it with his power and the speed in which he throws his strikes. He so happens to have the best takedown defense in MMA and from what I've heard, his jiu-jitsu is killer but we haven't seen it yet BECAUSE of his Liddell-esqe TDD.
4. BJ Penn combines his world class jiu-jitsu with his excellent wrestling (both defensive AND offensive wrestling, as seen in the Jon Fitch fight) and some of the best boxing in MMA history.
5. Benson Henderson's an excellent wrestler with great striking, his speed and footwork allow him to best some of the greatest lightweight fighters ever, the most obvious one being his win against Frankie Edgar. But what sets Benson apart from other fighters is his ability to toughen out through the best of submissions. The man might be the closest thing we've seen to unsubmittable in MMA (not in BJJ contests of course).
6. Jon Jones is the future of the sport and he combines his amazing unorthodox wrestling (again, both offensively and defensively) with his unorthodox submissions (not jiu-jitsu exactly, his submission wins are via wrestling chokes but they're still very excellent) and his unorthodox striking. Everything about Jones is unorthodox but extremely effective, the proof being his record and his soon-to-be four straight title defenses. The reason why he's lower on my list compared to other people's lists is because of his striking which is great but can tend to be sloppy.
7 & 8. Joseph Benavidez and Urijah Faber are pretty much interchangeable, they possess some great striking with a good combination of speed and power, Division I wrestling and excellent submissions, primarily the trademark Alpha Male wrestling chokes.
9. Rory MacDonald is all about power, he's got powerful striking (vs Pyle), powerful GnP (vs Mills) and powerful wrestling (vs Nate Diaz). He's also shown some great jiu-jitsu (vs Mike Guymon) but the reason why he's lower on this list is because of the questionable competition he's faced in the UFC but he's been impressive nonetheless.
10. Dominick Cruz has the best striking and wrestling in the bantamweight division. He doesn't possess power but he more than makes up for it with the best footwork in MMA history, a granite chin and unorthodox but excellent striking. The combos he rattles off with the speed that they're thrown is just beautiful to watch and mix that with his ability to beautifully mix up his takedowns (the knee-tap he does is the sickest wrestling move in MMA) with his striking is what sets him apart from the rest. He's got excellent takedown defense and whenever he does get taken down, he instantly pops right back up. The reason why he's low on this list is because of his jiu-jitsu/submission prowess that he's never shown in the octagon, mostly because of his excellent defensive wrestling.

CALL THAT SPAM KALIBO! 

"الله أكبرl"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,350  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

06.27.2012 | 2:20 PM ET

@anik almost the exact same! 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Anik
Anik

06.27.2012 | 2:26 PM ET

@MikeLovesTacos XD holy **** you're right lol, other than Ben Henderson and BJ Penn being switched around, we have the exact same list.

"الله أكبرl"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

06.27.2012 | 2:40 PM ET

"I didn't see my ranking for this how do you know where I have Chael...My post was more of an idea of how someone could put him in the top 10...Most MMA fighters aren't masters of every discipline out there so being pretty damn good in certain disciplines is a good sign of being well rounded"

If you dont believe it then why are you argueing that he is?  Except Chael is not  pretty dam good in most area when compared to his peers. Which is my entire point. He not well rounded. His boxing skills are lacking, his submissions skills are lacking, his submission defense is lacking his striking defenses is lacking. His cardio has question marks around it. So please explain to me how being just a great wrestler translates into him being top 10 most rounded fighters?

Chael is like the dam poster boy for being one dimensional.

* Edited at 06.27.2012, 2:42 PM ET *

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

06.27.2012 | 2:42 PM ET

How does his cardio have questions around it? his striking looked good against Okami, Bisping, Silva. He did an easy 5 rounds with silva. He has good standup, amazing wrestler, h has submissions, is good in the clinch, and is smart. sounds well rounded to me.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

Anik
Anik

06.27.2012 | 2:49 PM ET

@Franklin880088 Chael Sonnen isn't the poster boy of one-dimensional, that's just stupid.

That's my favorite fighters list. Notice Anderson's spot.

That's my ****list aka the 10 fighters I hate the most. Notice Chael Sonnen's spot.

Your bias is clouding your judgement. Chael Sonnen isn't one dimensional, far from it actually. Excellent cardio, great striking (striking isn't just about punches and kicks, things like footwork, striking intelligence and chin come into account) and the 2nd best wrestling in all of MMA. His ground game is questionable which is why he's not on my list but he is far from one dimensional, that comment is just asinine. 

I can't even get over you saying his striking defense is lacking. Your comment wins the stupidest of the day.

"الله أكبرl"

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,137  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

06.27.2012 | 3:02 PM ET

@Anik I agree...Chael is very well-rounded, and his boxing is very underrated.

But how the hell is your most hated fighter Hendo?...he's never been anything less than a humble ******* savage.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Anik
Anik

06.27.2012 | 3:06 PM ET

Because I hate his fans with a burning passion. There is nothing that angers me more than Old Man TRT fans talking about how great Seabiscuit is.

"الله أكبرl"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry knocks out Thiago Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Darren Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Absolutely savage’: Conor McGregor, other pros react to Mike Perry’s 60-second knockout at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Junkie : Social media reacts to Mike Perry's 60-second finish of Thiago Alves at BKFC: KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry vs. Thiago Alves full fight video highlights
  • Middle Easy : Mike Perry Smashes Thiago Alves in 60 Seconds – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Lorenzo Hunt suffers gruesome arm injury after Mick Terrill drops him in first round
  • Middle Easy : Lorenzo Hunt Suffers Horrific Elbow Injury in Opening Round Against Mick Terrill – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 live blog: Mike Perry vs. Thiago Alves
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Disappointed Ben Rothwell claims quick injury TKO win over Todd Duffee
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Ben Rothwell bulldozes through Todd Duffee in 43 seconds
  • Middle Easy : Ben Rothwell Scores Awkward 43-Second TKO Over Todd Duffee – BKFC KnuckleMania IV Results (Highlights)
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Alfredo Angulo, Jeremiah Riggs have 93-second instant classic at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMA Mania : Big Ben Scores 43-Second Phantom Punch KO
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor becomes part owner of BKFC: 'Welcome to the big leagues'
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor becomes part owner of BKFC
  • Bad Left Hook : Ramirez survives scare to outwork Barthelemy, Ortiz destroys Dulorme: Highlights
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 2024 post-fight bonus winners: Inside the numbers
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 post-fight show: Reaction to Alex Perez, Bogdan Guskov’s knockout wins
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! Perez Banks $50K For Wild Main Event KO
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 bonuses: 4 fighters awarded for thrilling knockouts