Topic:

Most Well Rounded Fighters

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

rayallen0
rayallen0
  • Predictions:  1,004  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  145
  • Post Score: 58

06.26.2012 | 8:40 PM ET

Liked this topic and thought it would be good for discussion.

how in the hell Faber outranks Nick or Nate Diaz is beyond me 

Responses Page 2

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,162  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

06.27.2012 | 3:08 PM ET

@Anik Yeah I could see with the TRT stuff...I also really don't like GSP anymore because of his fans so I get it. Hendo is just such a Legend...I love him.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

06.27.2012 | 3:28 PM ET

not only the TRT stuff but people just overrate his skills and his status in MMA in general.

"الله أكبرl"

Swickotine
Swickotine
  • Predictions:  18,162  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  11,851
  • Post Score: 223

06.27.2012 | 3:33 PM ET

His status...he KO'd Fedor and beat Shogun in FOTY. He should be where he's at right now.

"I'm bi-polar...nice jab, mean hook."

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

06.27.2012 | 4:25 PM ET

He has power for sure... great wrestling.. definitely a legend... but top10 most well rounded?  His chin allowed him to win more than a few fights.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

06.27.2012 | 5:13 PM ET

ANik your hate of Hendo clearly clouds your judgement on Hendo's skill.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

TraeBlack
TraeBlack
  • Predictions:  20,845  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8,701
  • Post Score: 173

06.27.2012 | 5:16 PM ET

Lets be real here, Hendo is not in the top 10 for most well rounded fighters. He has a nice right hand, and a body lock takedown that can take just about anybody down, and thats about it. Basically he has a good right hand, and a good chin, not even close to being top 10 well rounded

"3HUNNA"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

06.27.2012 | 5:22 PM ET

Lets see...

Olympic caliber wrestler.. Check
Good Striking... Check
Devastating Power... Check
Good Submission Defence.... Check
Good Chin... Check
Smart fighter.. Check
Durability and Heart... Check
Good Clinch... Check

Traeblack your oversimplification just shows how you judgement is clearly clouded as well.

* Edited at 06.27.2012, 5:22 PM ET *

TraeBlack
TraeBlack

06.27.2012 | 5:27 PM ET

no, im just telling the truth, Hendo is not in the top 10 for most well rounded fighters, anybody that thinks so is silly

"3HUNNA"

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz

06.27.2012 | 5:27 PM ET

yes.. silly.

TraeBlack
TraeBlack

06.27.2012 | 5:29 PM ET

he isnt even top 10 on this site from what the rankings show....

"3HUNNA"

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

06.27.2012 | 7:42 PM ET

Hendo may have the skills to be on this list but he doesn't use them in his fights.

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

blitzkrieg
blitzkrieg
  • Predictions:  4,528  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,449
  • Post Score: 285

06.27.2012 | 8:22 PM ET

lol @ Sonnen making an appearance. wth TS?

"@AndySalasMMA"

rayallen0
rayallen0
  • Predictions:  1,004  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  145
  • Post Score: 58

06.27.2012 | 9:49 PM ET

Chael has ******* great boxing and is by far the best wrestler in his division. Well-rounder to me is about being the perfect mix and fearing the fight where ever it goes. Not some guy who is average at everything and has no stand out feature.

I looked at it as, fighters who no matter where they are, can still win the fight. 

Hendo & Sonnen don't have the BJJ (sonnen especially, though I think he trained it a lot after the first fight) but they can reverse the situation and stay on top for the rest of the fight with amazing control and can deal a lot of punishment from anywhere including the guard. 

If the Diaz bro's gets taken down i usually fear more for the opponent on top than them. 

* Edited at 06.28.2012, 2:46 AM ET *

MQuestionable
MQuestionable
  • Predictions:  7,456  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,603
  • Post Score: 284

06.28.2012 | 12:12 AM ET

@Franklin880088 " Chael is one of the most one demensional people there is in the UFC. When has chael ever won by anything but wrestling in the ufc?"

Well, he did choke out Brian Stann with an arm triangle, a jiu-jitsu technique...
Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

06.28.2012 | 1:38 PM ET

"How does his cardio have questions around it?"
Did you watch the bispen fight? Which Sonnen clearly was gassed.  He cannot keep that pace he sets and it clearly showed in his fight with bispen. That was 3 rounds mind you.

"his striking looked good against Okami, Bisping, Silva."

He pretty much jsut wrestled Okami and Silva. his striking hardly played a role. it was far from impressive. He just out wrestled both of them. Your very much exaggerrating Sonnen striking. Also sonnen has fully admitted that he does not think he could take Okami in are match and talsk about how Okami beat him up in training.

It looked good in the bispen fight? You should go re watch that fight. Bispen completely domianted Sonnen on the feet, if that had gone another round Sonnen was done for.

"He did an easy 5 rounds with silva."
Where he had 17 times the testirome of a normal person. Notice how you forget the mention that massive detail.

"He has good standup, amazing wrestler, h has submissions, is good in the clinch, and is smart. sounds well rounded to me."

Excvept his standup is not good. Please comapre that with the rest of the division. His standup is not good. it okay, but it nothing beyond the average fighter in the division. ir order to be most well rounded he need to be much better then simply average.  Submissions are good? Stop your making me laugh. he been subbed countless times. And he has like one sub in like 30 fights. You do understand by your stance every single fighter in the middle wieght division would be top 10 most well rounded right? Or did you forget every fighter has submissions, has standup and can wrestle.  Your arguement is down right silly.

?That's my ****list aka the 10 fighters I hate the most. Notice Chael Sonnen's spot."

I dont care who you like or dislike. It has almost no bearing on your arguements being accurate. I not sure why you think that matters at all. The fact you dislike chael does not make your arguements right. thats just down right silly

"Your bias is clouding your judgement. Chael Sonnen isn't one dimensional, far from it actually."

? oh please, get off your high horse. I stated Chael would be a threat to anderson title back when he was a low level WEC fighter. Which Skellher can back up. So this idea thatI have some bias agianst Chael is laughable.

" Excellent cardio,"
Yea this is an exaggerration. It decent, excellent is quite the stretch. there  are many fighters even in his own division who have superior stamina to him. Your clearly basing your opinion off his single fight with anderson. Quess what. he had 17 times the normal male testerone. That is why his stamina looked so good. Good watch his other fights, he gets tired numerous times in 3 rounders.  Bispen fight for one he was utterly exhausted by the 3rd round, as well as in his fight with Nate.

"great striking (striking isn't just about punches and kicks, things like footwork, striking intelligence and chin come into account)"

He not a great strike this is a down right lie.  Please back up such an absurd claim. His striking no better then the average fighter in the division. He has a good chin, so what, that says nothing about his striking skill. his foot work is not good at all. Good foot work is what Bispen/franklin do.  Please Chael would not even make top 10 strikers in the middle weight division. Great striking my ass.

" and the 2nd best wrestling in all of MMA. His ground game is questionable which is why he's not on my list but he is far from one dimensional, that comment is just asinine. "

Really how is that asinine? Please explain to me how he not one demension> he wins almost every single fight he in due to wrestling. He wins every fight the same way and fights every fight the same way. he takes people down and controlls them. that all he does. That what being one demensional is. He just happens to be so good at that one thing no one can stop him from doiung it.

"I can't even get over you saying his striking defense is lacking. Your comment wins the stupidest of the day."

Your an idiot, so i could care less what you think constitutes as the stupidest comment of the day. because honestly you talk out your back end 90% of the time.  Yes i said his striking defence is lacking which is why he gets beat up in almost ever one of his fight.  Both Nate M and Bispen lit CHeal up all day when they were striking. Please explain to me where Chael awesome strikign defenses where in thoses fights champ?

"here I come to save the day"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

06.28.2012 | 1:44 PM ET

"Chael has ******* great boxing "
No he not. He decent. But his striking skill is really nothing to talk home about.  His fights with both Nate M and Bispen clearly show he simply not a high level striker.

"and is by far the best wrestler in his division."
yes he is, which is what wins him ever one of his fights.

"Well-rounder to me is about being the perfect mix and fearing the fight where ever it goes. Not some guy who is average at everything and has no stand out feature."

I assume you mean not fearing. But chael does fear being on his back and does fear standing. Which is why he constantly goes for take down and top control. because he not good at thoses other area's. Chael not GSP. GSP is well rounded. Chael uses one skill he just extremely good at it.

"I looked at it as, fighters who no matter where they are, can still win the fight."

Except chael can't win fights standing or off his back and never has. 

"Hendo & Sonnen don't have the BJJ (sonnen especially, though I think he trained it a lot after the first fight) but they can reverse the situation and stay on top for the rest of the fight with amazing control and can deal a lot of punishment from anywhere including the guard. "

Not sure how this helps your point of them being well rounded. Also Hendo is not sonnen. Hendo has shown to have crazy knock out power and the ability to take out high level striker via striking with them.  You do understand that Hendo is way more well rounded then chael right?

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

06.28.2012 | 1:48 PM ET

"@Franklin880088 " Chael is one of the most one demensional people there is in the UFC. When has chael ever won by anything but wrestling in the ufc?"

Well, he did choke out Brian Stann with an arm triangle, a jiu-jitsu technique..."

When he secured using his dominate wrestling from the top. He did not simply pull out some arm bar. He dominated with control/wrestling. Then was able to secure form top postion an arm triangle. Again almost of which was exicuted via his wrestling.  And Stann is not well rounded at all and has been subbed 3 times in the UFC out of like 7 fights. 

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

06.28.2012 | 1:52 PM ET

I am not saying Chael not a good fighter he a great fighter, but it because of his dominate wrestling not because of being well rounded. If you took away his wrestling, he be at best an average fighter. This is not underrating Chael, it simply stating the truth. Chael relies almost exclusively on his wrestling to win all of his fights. The fact he been subbed so many times frankly spells out the fact he not well rounded. Horn subbed him 3 times. Jeremy horn.........

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

06.28.2012 | 3:18 PM ET

@Nik Lust My hate stems from his skills, they were born OUT of the overrating of his skills which is why they're not biased because without the overrating, the hate isn't as prominent.

Olympic caliber wrestler...MMA wrestling is a different sport from Greco-Roman wrestling
Good Striking...No. His striking is very average. His striking skills are revolved around his...
Devastating Power... Check
Good Submission Defence.... Check proof? his record sure doesn't suggest it.
Good Chin... Check
Smart fighter.. Check Again, can't just call a dude a smart fighter without proving it.
Durability and Heart... Check
Good Clinch... Check

@Swickotine When i said status, I mean his fans who call him the GOAT...which is absurd on so many levels.

btw I'm not gonna continue debating with @Franklin880088 for obvious reasons.

* Edited at 06.28.2012, 3:21 PM ET *

"الله أكبرl"

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

06.28.2012 | 3:24 PM ET

Franklin, your statements regarding Jeremy Horn show how new to the sport you are.  

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Flavio Almeida Promoted To 6th Degree BJJ Black Belt
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Asia And Oceania Trials 2024 Full Results And Review
  • MMAFighting.com : Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. George Kambosos full fight video highlights
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis post-fight show: Reaction to Lewis’ big finish, Buckley’s win and McGregor callout
  • Bad Left Hook : Vasiliy Lomachenko stops George Kambosos to win IBF belt
  • MMA Mania : Liver Shot KO! Lomachenko Styles On Kambosos For Masterclass Win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Is This Guy For Real?!?’
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White praises Joaquin Buckley's UFC on ESPN 56 win, but shuts down his Conor McGregor request
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch Lomachenko vs. Kambosos ring announcer completely bungle co-main event fight result
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch ring announcer completely bungle fight result for Lomachenko vs. Kambosos co-main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Lomachenko vs Kambosos: Live updates and results
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 2024 post-fight bonus winners: Inside the numbers
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 bonuses: 12-second winner is a $50K no-brainer
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC St. Louis bonuses: Trey Waters, Billy Goff take home Fight of the Night following epic war
  • MMA Mania : OUCH! Rebecki Shares Photo Of His Mangled Face
  • MMA Mania : Bonuses! ‘Black Jag’ Banks $50K For 12 Seconds Of Work
  • UFC.com : Bonus Coverage | UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Balls got hot again’: Pros react to Derrick Lewis knocking out Rodrigo Nascimento at UFC St. Louis
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis scores vicious knockout, moons crowd at UFC St. Louis 
  • MMA Mania : Hot Balls Highlights! Lewis Delivers Vicious KO Before Mooning Crowd