Main Card | Featherweight · 145 lbs | MMA
Erik Koch defeats Francisco Rivera Jr. via KO/TKO at 1:36 of Round 1
|10-1-0||Pro Record At Fight||5-0-0|
|Climbed to 11-1||Record After Fight||Fell to 5-1|
|-475 (Heavy Favorite)||Betting Odds||+340 (Moderate Underdog)|
|United States||Nationality||United States|
|Milwaukee, Wisconsin||Fighting out of||Buena Park, California|
|22 years, 1 month, 1 week||Age at Fight||29 years, 1 month, 3 days|
|146.0 lbs (66.2 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||146.0 lbs (66.2 kgs)|
|5'10" (178cm)||Height||5'8" (173cm)|
|71.5" (182cm)||Reach||70.0" (178cm)|
|Hybrid Faction||Gym||CSW Training Center|
- Bout Information
- Event: WEC 52: Faber vs. Mizugaki
- Date: Thursday 11.11.2010 at 09:00 PM ET
- Referee: Steve Mazzagatti
- Venue: The Pearl at the Palms Casino Resort
- Enclosure: Cage
- Location: Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
- Bout Billing: Main Card (fight 9 of 11)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 145 lbs (65.8 kg)
- TV Commentary: Todd Harris, Stephan Bonnar
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Craig Hummer
- Koch Total Disclosed Pay: $18,000
- Rivera Jr. Total Disclosed Pay: $4,000
Koch vs. Rivera Jr. Wiki Update Wiki
Duke Roufus-trained up-and-comer Erik Koch earned the evening's Knockout of the Night bonus ($10,000) and a healthy dose of buzz for himself with a picture-perfect head kick finish of Francisco Rivera only 96 seconds into the first round of their WEC 52 contest.
Rivera had nearly everything going against him the night of the fight, which he took both gamely and opportunistically on only two weeks notice. Koch's previously scheduled opponent, the top contender Josh Grispi, was pulled from the card following Dana White's announcement of the integration of the WEC with the UFC only weeks beforehand, in order for Grispi to face champ Jose Aldo on a major UFC card. Not only was Rivera a late replacement, he was forced to face Koch, a southpaw with a reach advantage.
Koch, the taller and lankier of the two fighters, opened the bout with a group of punishing leg kicks to the midsection. Before Rivera could look to adjust his gameplan, Koch switched upstairs with the very next kick, a textbook shin to the jawline at full power that sent Rivera hurtling to the canvas. Rivera was conscious, but unable to muster his faculties as Koch quickly spun past his legs and dropped the concluding hammerfists. Rivera went fetal as veteran referee Steve Mazzagatti waved off the bout at the 1:36 mark of the first.
Koch's head kick was the biggest knockout of WEC 52, but not its quickest, for Dustin Poirier's KO/TKO of Zach Micklewright on the undercard was only 56 seconds. The win was only Koch's second KO/TKO finish, as against seven submissions to that point in his career. An amped-up Koch after the fight praised Duke Roufus and Koch's new roomate, Anthony Pettis, for his stellar piece of striking craftsmanship. For Rivera, it was the first defeat of his professional career.
Koch vs. Rivera Jr. Fight Predictions
Videos & Highlights
Interview | Erik Koch pre-fight interview with fight! Magazine report dead link
Eric Koch says he is a whiter version of Anthony Pettis prior to his WEC 52 fight against Francisco Rivera.
Koch vs. Rivera Jr. Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- Just got done with "these burpees suck" and let me tell you they SUCKED! Lol
- 1 week, 5 hours, and 11 minutes
- Been a busy morning trying to get things done! Now off to do my anvil workout! Lol and it's a rough one today.
- 1 week, 6 hours, and 46 minutes
- Just got done with my run and sat in the sauna with @showtimepettis goin home to get some sleep then up at 10 for pads with the master duke!
- 1 week, 20 hours, and 15 minutes
- Just got done with some meetings now going o do a little run and hit the sauna alittle bit.
- 1 week, 21 hours, and 49 minutes
- NEWBREED shirt! http://www.qualitymmagear.com/Erik-Koch-p/new%20breed.htm
- 1 week, 1 day, 3 hours, and 21 minutes
- Just got done with the anvil workout! Gettin alien!!!! Love it and hate it at the same time lmao!
- 1 week, 1 day, 5 hours, and 41 minutes
- Time to hit my anvil workout man my life is boring lol
- 1 week, 1 day, 8 hours, and 10 minutes
- Up had my bowl of oatmeal had a talk with my strength and conditioning coach. Now ready to start the day with duke hittin pads!
- 1 week, 1 day, 11 hours, and 26 minutes
- Leons milwaulkee wisconsin! Look so good! Marcus is a lucky man! http://yfrog.com/66m23j
- 1 week, 1 day, 23 hours, and 26 minutes