Topic: UFC 202

UFC 202: Diaz vs. McGregor 2 Discussion Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

08.19.2016 | 3:28 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 650 Points   |   Tied for 104th

The fighters are weighed in and we're set for the first marquee event since UFC 200. 

Should be a fun one. 

Prelims kick off on UFC Fight Pass at 630pm ET before switching to FS1 at 8pm. PPV main card airs at 10pm.

Enjoy!

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

UFC 202
  • Saturday 08.20.2016 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: Fox Sports 1
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $7,692,010
  • Attendance: 15,539
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 1,600,000 | TV Ratings: 1.3M avg. viewers (FS1 prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Conor McGregor   defeats   Nate Diaz   via Decision, Majority   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Anthony Johnson   defeats   Glover Teixeira   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Donald Cerrone   defeats   Rick Story   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Punches   2:02 Round 2 of 3, 7:02 Total Bout Page
Mike Perry   defeats   Hyun Gyu Lim   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:38 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tim Means   defeats   Sabah Homasi   via KO/TKO, Punches   2:56 Round 2 of 3, 7:56 Total Bout Page
Cody Garbrandt   defeats   Takeya Mizugaki   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:48 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Raquel Pennington   defeats   Elizabeth Phillips   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Artem Lobov   defeats   Chris Avila   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Cortney Casey   defeats   Randa Markos   via Submission, Armbar   4:34 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Lorenz Larkin   defeats   Neil Magny   via KO/TKO, Elbows   4:08 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Colby Covington   defeats   Max Griffin   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   2:18 Round 3 of 3, 12:18 Total Bout Page
Marvin Vettori   defeats   Alberto Uda   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   4:30 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses Page 21

Rhino_Rocks
Rhino_Rocks
  • Predictions:  5,420  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  168
  • Post Score: 25

09.07.2016 | 6:24 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 300th

It's like wrestling where the near fall is the refs possible stoppage. 

"stick and move with a little pop pop bang and you'll be fine"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

09.07.2016 | 8:18 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 500th

You can't compare wreslting where there are specific point for specific manuvers and the ref hands out points for each thing it's like comparing apples to oranges.

Saying a KD where the fighter choses not to follow-up is the equivalent of a significant strike is really just ridiculous.

The main problem with MMA judging is the same problem that is with MMA reffing, human error. Just as refs **** up by missing fowls or stopping fights early or late, judges mess up because their job is subjective. They have guidlines that are open to interpretation. The commissions are looking to clear up some problems with the new unified rules that go into effect in Jan. But there will always be problems with judging because it is based on a completely subjective criteria.

If you added a rule where the ref signals the judges when he is about to stop it you would be on here complaining about how dare the ref not signal a near stoppage Conor was clearly on the verge of going out! Then be mad the ref signaled for each knockdown which should automatic.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Rhino_Rocks
Rhino_Rocks

09.07.2016 | 9:34 PM ET

I'm giving options to help the human error. you're OK with judges making their own decision on the browd rule set for scoring rounds.  We are using a boxing system of rules for a different sport. why not make some changes?  We classify takedowns winning rounds with small amount  of anything being done with them. Then we give nothing to submissions attempts.

* Edited at 09.07.2016, 9:35 PM ET *

Bigj383
Bigj383

09.07.2016 | 11:21 PM ET

We don't classify takedowns as winning rounds. They win round where nothing else has happened at it has become less and less of a factor. A takedown can't be ignored but how heavily it weighs on a round is greatly determined on what happened before the TD and after the TD. The fact TDs win round alone is such a myth especially today. If you get taken down and spend 3 minutes on your back just trying to stifle a top fighters attack you are going to lose. If you get taken down pop back to you and do nothing after getting back to your feet you are gonna lose.

The only suggestion I've really seen you guve is take a scenario where 2 of 3 people have to mess up for it to be detrimental is to make only have one person mess up to make it detrimental.

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

09.07.2016 | 11:40 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 353rd

@Rhino

You really need to start keeping up man, I was saying that the multiple KD's are a show of damage which out weights aggression and TD.  Seriously man keep up.

"here I come to save the day"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

09.08.2016 | 2:46 AM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 725 Points   |   13th Place

Also, people are talking as if Nate stalked him for 25 minutes. Watch the fight again people, it was Conor who brought the action for at least 60%-70% of the fight.

Watch rounds 1,2,4,5. Seriously, how can the "aggression" thing even be a debate as a judging decider when Nate literally wasn't the one who was the aggressor for the majority of the fight.

Conor started backing down, mid round 2 and was on his heels for most of round 3 (and he was throwing during that time too, just not the one controlling the octagon and the main one pushing the action). But in ALL of the other rounds Conor was the one holding the center of the octagon, he was the one throwing first, he was the one deciding where the fight went yet somehow people here are acting like it's accepted across the board that Nate was the aggressor and it was just not judged correctly.

Aggression, cage control are secondary judging criteria, something you give weight if there isn't a lot of action to go on and even if you do get to giving them weight because it was a close fight, in no way or form was that criteria a landslide win for Nate (most likely the opposite), so just drop it.

* Edited at 09.08.2016, 2:47 AM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Rhino_Rocks
Rhino_Rocks

09.08.2016 | 8:37 AM ET

@yossgold 
i know you dont think it was a close fight as others and conor won but when you look at how many more strikes nate attempted and landed how can you say conor controlled the fight???  I think conor fought a very good technical fight (24% leg kicks) with time and accuracy working great for him. if nate was not the aggressor how did he attempt 7 TD in the fight and all were against the cage.  **** he attempted more than 100 punches.  the secondary is a factor in close fights and i believe the fight was closer then others i dont think either guy won. i had some say full fight scoring is the best and if you do that then the fight was even closer. 

@franklin 
keep up with what??? you dont answer any of my questions. this debate started with the 2 rd a fight with 2 KD's where conor was scared to attempt a finish. then nate cornering him landing more punches and conor being saved by the bell. the 3 rd he stalled 

conor did knock him down 3 time 1 and 2 but nate was close to finishing the fight 2 times in the 2 and 5 and the 3 rd was the most dominated round to one side

Rhino_Rocks
Rhino_Rocks

09.08.2016 | 8:42 AM ET

@bigj youre full of **** if you dont think TDs are not a big factor in winning rounds from judges GSP defend a belt with the style 

Bigj383
Bigj383

09.08.2016 | 10:53 AM ET

GSP dominated fights. He didn't just score one TD to steal a round. He would take you down and keep you there control position, land GnP. Then even on the feet he would out strike his opponent. The only questionable decision GSP ever won was vs Johnny Hendricks.

Rhino_Rocks
Rhino_Rocks

09.08.2016 | 12:18 PM ET

he used td to dominate bc it is the best way to get the judges on your side

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,787
  • Post Score: 180

09.08.2016 | 1:34 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 545th

GSP didn't fight after the Serra KO, he just used his vastly superior and well-rounded skills to take the safest, easiest route to victory while pursuing the finish almost not at all. This is why, to me, he is the single most disappointing person in MMA history because he had all the tools to be THE GOAT but didn't use them. Then when the WW division's top fighters caught up to him and he had to actually fight, he quit.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

09.08.2016 | 1:43 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 590th

^^^^ Ding ding ding!

Couldn't agree more. I used to be the biggest fan of GSP. When I first started watching UFC he was right at the top of my list. But after that Serra KO he played it safe and now he isn't even im my top 50 haha. Can't blame the guy for going that route but definitely the main reason he is not one of my favorite fighters anymore.

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

09.08.2016 | 2:39 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 725 Points   |   13th Place

The same can be said about Aldo after the Hominick scare, only replace jabs and takedowns with leg kicks and only attacking in spurts before rounds are over. The only fights since he actually went for something we're when he saw KZ injured, Mendes and even then it was in the last minute of each round and in that fight he looked very beatable for the first time in forever and in the Conor fight (we all know how that ended).

The more guys have to lose, the more "perfect" their legacy is, the harder it gets to ask them to put themselves out there.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Rhino_Rocks
Rhino_Rocks

09.08.2016 | 3:22 PM ET

@poir420 @mulefloyd  we could see the same thing with conor with his gas tank problem he fought so technical. he didnt go to the ground with KDs he did throw power punches in the 1 rd but after that he was trying to land strikes for the score sheets.

@yossgold i agree aldo turned into the same style using his strength to ensure the win.  most people say to beat the champ you need to finish the champ. thats why i hate the scoring in MMA its not boxing its not wrestling or JJ its MMA we need a different system

Page 21

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 ceremonial weigh-in faceoff highlights video, photo gallery
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Declan Moody vs Anton Minenko
  • MMA Mania : Face Off! Nicolau Stares Down Perez At APEX!
  • UFC.com : UFC 5 Brings Gamers Closer To The Action Than Ever
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in results: 2 fighters miss weight
  • MMA Junkie : NAC withholds earnings from two UFC 300 winners; hearings scheduled
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Turned Down a Clash with Ketlen Vieira at UFC 303: ‘Stop Running and Sign the Contract’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results: Two fighters heavy – including 2.5-pound miss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 video: Matheus Nicolau, Alex Perez make weight in Las Vegas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Vieira claims she was offered Kayla Harrison for UFC 303: 'She has to stop running'
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference