Topic: UFC 173

Official UFC 173 Discussion Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

05.24.2014 | 1:54 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 1060th

I know you've missed me, my children, but I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide. 

Prelims kick off on UFC Fight Pass around 630pm ET followed by Prelims on FS1 at 8pm and the PPV main card at 10pm. 

Quite a good card, even if the headliner looks mildly underwhelming on paper. 

Enjoy!

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

UFC 173
  • Saturday 05.24.2014 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: Fox Sports 1
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
  • Enclosure: Cage
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $1,700,000
  • Attendance: 11,036
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 215,000 | TV Ratings: 697,000 avg. viewers (FS1 prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
T.J. Dillashaw   defeats   Renan Barão   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Punches   2:26 Round 5 of 5, 22:26 Total Bout Page
Daniel Cormier   defeats   Dan Henderson   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:53 Round 3 of 3, 13:53 Total Bout Page
Robbie Lawler   defeats   Jake Ellenberger   via KO/TKO, Knee and Punches   3:06 Round 3 of 3, 13:06 Total Bout Page
Takeya Mizugaki   defeats   Francisco Rivera Jr.   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
James Krause   defeats   Jamie Varner   via KO/TKO, Ankle Injury   5:00 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Michael Chiesa   defeats   Francisco Trinaldo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tony Ferguson   defeats   Katsunori Kikuno   via KO/TKO, Punch   4:06 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Chris Holdsworth   defeats   Chico Camus   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mitch Clarke   defeats   Al Iaquinta   via Submission, D'arce Choke   0:57 Round 2 of 3, 5:57 Total Bout Page
Vinc Pichel   defeats   Anthony Njokuani   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Sam Sicilia   defeats   Aaron Phillips   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jingliang Li   defeats   David Michaud   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 19

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

05.25.2014 | 1:48 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 628th

Dillashaw looked great tonight. His straight punches were on target all night and were hitting their target before Barao's hooks could land. As much as I can't believe he won (and as much as I didn't want him to win), I gotta give Dillashaw props for stepping his game up in a big way in the striking department since Bang has come on. Dillashaw was a beast tonight and if Barao doesn't make some changes, the same thing would happen in a rematch.

Some thoughts on Barao:
First, this was not a fluke. Barao fought like he has in previous fights and got dominated from bell to bell for 4+ rounds.
Second, listening to one's corner is typically a good idea. When Pederneiras was telling him to take Dillashaw down, he should've at least attempted this. Standing up wasn't working at all and he needed to do something to take the fight to a place where Dillashaw couldn't pick him apart from range. We know Barao's got skills on the ground, he shouldn't have been so enthralled with proving to everyone that he could out strike Dillashaw.
Third, it seems to me that Barao has fallen in love with his hooks (which is bad for him, because when he throws them he opens his stance and drops his hands) as of late. If I remember correctly, he wasn't really moving in with his jab (one of his best strikes) and rarely followed his combinations with leg kicks. Sometimes it might be best to go back to what got you where you are in the first place. He's been more willing to throw hooks without the rest of his weapons in his last 3 fights now, which is a real bad habit when you consistently fail to defend properly.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407

05.25.2014 | 2:55 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 960th

@zarog You are completely right. The same thing happened to Fedor. 

By the way, he wasn't listening to his corner because he probably couldn't think straight at that point. The dude was barely alive by round 3.

* Edited at 05.25.2014, 2:57 AM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

05.25.2014 | 3:13 AM ET

By the way guys, three of the 10 greatest upsets of all times happened in a two-weeks span. Barao/TJ, Wineland/Eduardo and Brooks/Chandler. All of those three were bigger upsets than Serra/GSP, odds-wise.

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

05.25.2014 | 4:48 AM ET

Predictions: 1 of 3 Winners, 0 Perfect, 50 Points   |   Tied for 1498th

TJ Dillashaw is the bomb man. He's such a cool little ******.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

cal1
cal1
  • Predictions:  22,053  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,001
  • Post Score: 251

05.25.2014 | 7:39 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 1328th

I lost every bet I made last night. Every dog I bet lost. Every favorite I bet lost. I'm awful. So close to hitting DC vs Hendo goes the distance but no. 2014 year of the huge upsets. 

"UFC 151 NEVER FORGET"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

05.25.2014 | 9:45 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 532nd

Cage Potato had this GIF as a way of explaining how the main event would go and it did....only in reverse:

and then this gem from the 5th rd: "Dillashaw dodges a series of punches like a damn white Anderson Silva." 

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.25.2014 | 11:47 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 616th

@zarog Barao avoided leg kicks because he didn't want Dillashaw to take him down, which is reasonable. The major problem with this fight was that Dillashaw was dictating where the fight was happening. Barao should have been more aggressive and by making Dillashaw back up he'd be able to punctuate all of his combinations with leg kicks. In that scenario, Dillashaw wouldn't have been able to shoot for a double leg ('cause he'd be moving backwards) and if he did, Barao would have been able to easily stuff him.

In retrospect, I think that would have been the key to Barao's victory but I'd be lying if I didn't see Barao winning the fight from a rear naked choke after a quick scramble following some takedown attempt by Dillashaw. If there's one thing Barao is a beast at, it's his lightning-fast grappling.
@Idrownfish Dafuqq, none of those fights beat Serra/GSP oddswise.

Dude, Serra/GSP oddswise (from what I've seen) was like +1000 for Serra, whereas Dillashaw, Brooks and Eduardo were at +600.

"الله أكبرl"

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

05.25.2014 | 11:53 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 886th

Also, in hindsight, GSP/Serra was an actual upset (as in the lesser fighter winning) while as Dillashaw, Brooks and Eduardo were just "misperceptions" of those guys' actual talent level ... so even if they were considered dogs before the fight I don't know if upset is the right word ... but maybe that's just me playing around with the semantics of the definition of 'upset' ...

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

Anik
Anik
  • Predictions:  6,592  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17,508
  • Post Score: 160

05.25.2014 | 12:08 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 616th

I think the Eduardo fight was an actual upset to be honest.

"الله أكبرl"

yossgold
yossgold

05.25.2014 | 12:16 PM ET

I think I read somewhere that he's sort of a striking coach at Nova Uniao or Blackhouse (or both) so I wasn't surprised and was actually thinking about picking him ... if Eddie Wineland hadn't looked good against Barao in the 1st round of their fight I would have, so I think that may be people not knowing exactly how good he really is ... also, I think the size of the moment counts into how big the upset is too ... title fight upset > FS2 prelim opener ;)

* Edited at 05.25.2014, 12:16 PM ET *

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

yossgold
yossgold

05.25.2014 | 12:17 PM ET

By the way, not saying any of them aren't upsets ... they were all big upsets and I picked every one of them wrong, just, if we're picking the biggest upset, I still have GSP/Serra based on the parameters I listed.

* Edited at 05.25.2014, 12:18 PM ET *

flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,740  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,782
  • Post Score: 273

05.25.2014 | 12:41 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 628th

Biggest upset of all time? My man Houston Alexander coming in and doing this to the Techno Viking

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

Outrageous
Outrageous
  • Predictions:  15,465  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  246
  • Post Score: 215

05.25.2014 | 12:54 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 753rd

So, I want to preface this by saying that don't want to take anything away from T.J. Dillashaw (although the need for this disclaimer means that I kind of am I guess), but I have to say that I am a bit puzzled by a lot of the reactions and post-fight analysis following last night's main event.

I think that if Dillashaw had gotten the stoppage in the first round, a lot of people would just say (perhaps unfairly) that this was just a Serra/GSP situation where Barao got caught and is still the better fighter, but since Dillashaw went on to dominate Barao for several rounds after that, it seems like most people are instead convinced that Dillashaw established himself as a significantly better fighter.

Well, that logic has some superficial appeal, but it seems to implicitly assume that Barao was able to recover from that punch and continue fighting like he normally does.  Well, to my eyes, Renan Barao did not look remotely like himself after the first round.  So, props to Dillashaw for landing such a damaging punch that took so much out of Barao and led to him winning the fight, but I'm not convinced he deserves all the extra credit for continuing to style on Barao for another four rounds or so.

I'm not necessarily saying I'd pick Barao in a rematch (nor do I think an instant rematch is warranted).  But to the extent that people are really getting hyped up about Dillashaw or down on Barao based on the period of the fight between when Barao was dropped in the first and ultimately finished in the fifth, I have to respectfully disagree.  I just don't think that portion of the fight was a very reliable barometer of either man.

"Fungahhh!"

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

05.25.2014 | 1:02 PM ET

That giant post says

"Maybe that initial punch Dillashaw dropped.Barao with led to Dillashaws performances in each.round following and that Barao never recovered from it "

There's quite a few things I can argue but it's a logical opinion and theory.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

05.25.2014 | 1:08 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 532nd

While that's certainly possible Outrageous, I think ur wrong and I think too many are making excuses like "Barao wasn't himself". What I saw was an improved TJ who executed a great gameplan that revolved around his strength - speed. I'm anything but a TJ fan but I'd pick him in a rematch. Maybe he was still rocked for the remainder of the fight but what I saw was a hesitant rather than a slow Barao. He only looked slow because TJ was so fast. That's my opinion but an Assuncao rematch or a Cruz fight before an almost inevitable rematch with Barao will tell us more.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

05.25.2014 | 1:08 PM ET

@AnikM I double-checked that. The peak line for Serra as the underdog was +800 at Bovada, and by fight time he was +700. Eduardo closed at +750, Dillashaw closed at +765 and Will Brooks closed at +800, making all of those fights a greater upset than Serra/GSP. By the way, Dillashaw/Barao was the single greatest upset in the history of the UFC.

yossgold
yossgold

05.25.2014 | 1:42 PM ET

@Outrageous, I'd generally agree with you, but in this case you could see Barao baffled by TJ and getting tagged by him (very similarly to how the whole fight played out) even before that punch.

I agree with you that the punch had an impact, both physically and even more so mentally, it made Barao lose confidence and hesitate, but isn't that part of being the better fighter on the night? Isn't part of what makes Barao so good the fact that other fighters hesitate once they "feel" him or because they know what he's capable of?

Since the fight did actually last almost 5 rounds, you can factor in anything you want, but the better fighter had enough time to recover and if he didn't (physically or mentally), he wasn't the better fighter (since conditioning and the ability to recover from both physical and mental blocks are parameters in gauging who the better fighter is - at least on the night, I'm not declaring TJ as the p4p #1 just yet, I'll let Dana do that next time TJ's headlining a card).

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

05.25.2014 | 2:28 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 214th

If Barao and Dillashaw rematch I will be very curious how Tapology will pick it. Will Barao get 3/4 of the predictions or will it be pretty much a split?

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

yossgold
yossgold

05.25.2014 | 2:38 PM ET

I guess it depends on how they both do in their next fights ... if the same TJ shows up and Renan devours his next opponent (which will probably me Mizugaki, so he most likely will) I think it'll be pretty much even.

amp112
amp112
  • Predictions:  37,156  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  5,588
  • Post Score: 208

05.25.2014 | 2:40 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 157th

I'm pretty sure I would pick Barao. However, because TJ dominated for so long, I'm less inclined to pick Barao over him than say Silva over Weidman in their rematch.

If the fight ended in the first like it almost did, a lot of us would be saying "can TJ do that again". IMO it's a lot harder to beat someone for 5 rounds than it is to hit em with a single shot.

Page 19

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : McGregor’s High-Profile Backup? On One Condition ...
  • Middle Easy : ‘Big’ John McCarthy Weighs In on Jimmy Smith’s Claim That Everyone ‘F*cking Hated’ Ronda Rousey
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Haney to take’: Hearn reacts to Garcia’s failed drug test
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Devin Haney to take’: Eddie Hearn reacts to Ryan Garcia’s failed drug test
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: 'Nasty bastard' Alexandre Pantoja has no weak areas, beats Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 poster released featuring Makhachev vs. Poirier, Strickland vs. Costa
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya ‘Definitely Going To Sue For Defamation’ After Canelo Spat
  • Bad Left Hook : Ennis vs Crowley official for July 13 in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Jaron Ennis vs Cody Crowley official for July 13th in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Hughie Fury joins May 11 McCaskill vs Price show
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker confident he'll handle Khamzat Chimaev's wrestling in UFC Saudi Arabia showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant eviscerates ‘piece of sh*t’ Dillon Danis in fiery response to accusations 
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t think you can get into Canelo’s head’: Former Golden Boy matchmaker on Oscar beef
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski calls Jose Aldo featherweight GOAT ahead of UFC 301: 'He's how a champion should be'
  • MMA Mania : ‘12 Gauge’ Unloads On ‘Piece Of S—t’ Danis After Alleged Affair Claims
  • MMAFighting.com : Ronda Rousey writing script for her own Netflix biopic, no longer expected to star in film
  • MMAFighting.com : Oscar De La Hoya ‘definitely going to sue’ Canelo Alvarez for defamation after explosive claims
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 4: Jose Aldo, Alexandre Pantoja hang with soccer legend
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith insists there's no personal beef with UFC champ Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : ‘Beast’ Mode! Khamzat Now Training With ‘MVP’