Topic: UFC 162

UFC 162 General Discussion

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

2 Nyce
2 Nyce
  • Predictions:  19,158  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,852
  • Post Score: 214

03.08.2013 | 3:17 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 708th

Holy ****, I did not know they had this fight in the books.  I hope silva shows his age and weidman takes him out!!
UFC 162
  • Saturday 07.06.2013 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: FX
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $4,826,000
  • Attendance: 12,964
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 550,000 | TV Ratings: 1,363,000 viewers (FX Prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Chris Weidman   defeats   Anderson Silva   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:18 Round 2 of 5, 6:18 Total Bout Page
Frankie Edgar   defeats   Charles Oliveira   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tim Kennedy   defeats   Roger Gracie   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mark Muñoz   defeats   Tim Boetsch   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Cub Swanson   defeats   Dennis Siver   via KO/TKO, Punches   2:24 Round 3 of 3, 12:24 Total Bout Page
Andrew Craig   defeats   Chris Leben   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Norman Parke   defeats   Kazuki Tokudome   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Gabriel Gonzaga   defeats   Dave Herman   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:17 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Edson Barboza   defeats   Rafaello Oliveira   via KO/TKO, Leg Kicks   1:44 Round 2 of 3, 6:44 Total Bout Page
Brian Melancon   defeats   Seth Baczynski   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Mike Pierce   defeats   David Mitchell   via KO/TKO, Punches   2:55 Round 2 of 3, 7:55 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 30

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

07.07.2013 | 2:59 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 6 Perfect, 640 Points   |   Tied for 51st

As much as i love Vitor, it's ******* ridiculous that he has called for the Weidman fight on Twitter with the hashtag #NOREMATCH.

Seriously dude ***? you were calling for a rematch against Jones and Anderson if he won this fight.

I think he is legit losing it.

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 3:00 AM ET *

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

deep theory
deep theory
  • Predictions:  522  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  132
  • Post Score: 29

07.07.2013 | 2:59 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 767th

Anderson Silva some how managed to create a .gif more embarrassing than the Forrest Griffin one...got to give him credit for that

"You talk too much. Things will happen."

ifightbears
ifightbears
  • Predictions:  2,175  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  600
  • Post Score: 257

07.07.2013 | 3:00 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 6 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 188th

@Legacy I almost want to change my AV to yours for 6 months until you can change it back just so it doesn't go away lol.

"Wanna go to a club where people wee on each other?"

legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

07.07.2013 | 3:02 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1247th

go ahead man you have my blessing, lol

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

deep theory
deep theory

07.07.2013 | 3:03 AM ET

ive watched it hundreds of times already...enjoy

TAMANinja
TAMANinja
  • Predictions:  2,226  |  52.4%
  • Forum Posts:  597
  • Post Score: 303

07.07.2013 | 3:12 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 965th

It'll prob be discussed ad nauseum for quite awhile, but looking at the GIF I really think the short right backfist from Weidman really seems to have thrown off Silva's timing. I think he was looking for a right cross left hook combo but instead Weidman went all Bruce Lee and threw the fastest technique in the world after the right cross at an odd time when Silva had no where to go and then followed up w the left hook that finished it. 

Great fights, but odd night. Always ALWAYS root against Silva, but I wanted him to win tonight and then crush Jones. Looks like prob wont happen

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 3:13 AM ET *

deep theory
deep theory

07.07.2013 | 3:16 AM ET

I've been kickboxing less than a year and even I know to keep my hands up when I'm inside my opponents range

As probably the biggest AS fan on tapology (still wearing my Franklin 2 walkout gear), I can say with certainty he was being completely stupid, arrogant...and you can watch his heels, feet, and neck to see how off balance he was while trying that "Matrix" ****...

I was screaming at the TV for the Thai plum but it never came. Still sooo disappoint :(

ifightbears
ifightbears
  • Predictions:  2,175  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  600
  • Post Score: 257

07.07.2013 | 3:45 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 6 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 188th

Did you guys know Steven Seagal taught Weidman that left hook that caught Silva?  It's true.

"Wanna go to a club where people wee on each other?"

Idrownfish
Idrownfish
  • Predictions:  1,759  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,407
  • Post Score: 241

07.07.2013 | 3:51 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 395 Points   |   Tied for 1342nd

I think you guys should read this:

http://www.tapology.com/forum/fighters/anderson-silva-the-spider/484436-Anderson_Silva_minimizes_pressure_and_says___my_le?page=1

I posted it some days before the fight, and talked about how I didn't like Silva's passing the torch speech. He obviously didn't want to lose, but he seemed ready to.

About Anderson Silva being Anderson Silva and then getting caught: sorry, that wasn't him. Anderson NEVER showboated that much, not even in a match he had no chance of losing (Bonnar). In fact, he NEVER showboated significantly in difficult matches (Belfort, Henderson, Franklin), He was flatfooted, off-balance, defensively absent and overconfident. That is not the striking god we know and love.

By the way, Jack Slack was right about one thing: left-right combinations had a greater chance of catching Silva than anything else, if for some reason you had to strike with him.

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 3:53 AM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

MMATycoon
MMATycoon
  • Predictions:  7,154  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 227

07.07.2013 | 3:58 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 965th

^ ^ agree completely. And I recall your comments about the torch passing.

"www.mmatycoon.com"

willendorfs
willendorfs
  • Predictions:  735  |  56.9%
  • Forum Posts:  498
  • Post Score: 300

07.07.2013 | 4:28 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 520 Points   |   Tied for 560th

All the stuff in the media saying Anderson wanted to lose. I can see why people would think that but I think Silva has been fighting like a man with nothing to lose lately, second Sonnen match and Bonnar match. He fought the way he wanted to fight and he got caught. I think he has come into his fights lately thinking " Hey **** it I have the most title defenses in the sport, i'm the P4P greatest, the goat, and i have money, if I win great another one in the books, if I lose oh well I have had my time and everything and more I could hope for." 

Great victory for Weidman, embarrassing loss for Silva. I don't want to sound like a Silva nuthugger, but I think he will want to fight Weidman again, I think he will want to erase that loss, he will come in focused and I think he will win. Then a rubber match then two superfights with GSP and Jones. 

Forgot to mention that Chris Weidman celebration was pretty badass as was the belt going around his waist.

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 4:30 AM ET *

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

07.07.2013 | 5:19 AM ET

The old king is dead. Long live the king.

He is still quite obviously the greatest of all time, but man, how disappointed I am with Anderson's loss. I could envision him losing: it would be in an epic match against one of the best fighters of the world. An out-of-prime but still amazing Anderson would fight like hell, give him his best (maybe even showboat  little), but ultimately fall. His corner would understand that his time had come, and he would bow to the new champion as a sign of the passing of the torch. He would give a lengthy post-fight speech about the importance of martial arts, then walk away from the octagon as a living legend, to the cheers of everyone present. Dana White wouldn't be sad. No one would be, in fact, as we all would understand that time comes for everyone, and that we all had a blast while it lasted. Anderson would be at the press conference for one last time, and most questions would be predictably directed towards him. In the end, he would go back to his family, and, since that seems to be his ultimate goal, begin his new life as a martial arts instructor/spiritual guide for as many children as he could.

Instead, we saw... Well, look at my signature. The fact that defeating Anderson was achieved with a subpar combination only made things worse. Well, I hope that at least the last part comes true, he still deserves that, despite today's fight. I would like him to take the rematch with Weidman, tho.

By the way, cut the crap: it wasn't a wrestler who finally defeated Anderson Silva, it was Chris Weidman. As I said, long live the king.

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 5:24 AM ET *

"Let's just say if we fought again I wouldn't need to keep my hands up." - Luke Rockhold on Michael Bisping's punching power

House Sparrow
House Sparrow
  • Predictions:  3,528  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  409
  • Post Score: 263

07.07.2013 | 5:27 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 1116th

Oh god, I still feel sick to my stomach about this. It's been so long he's been the title holder. I first started watching MMA around the time he beat Leben. It feels bad, like losing a girlfriend, or a pet dying. I might just be a weird guy, but I am saddened on this day. It just doesn't feel right.

"“In order to see birds it is necessary to become a part of the silence.” ― Robert Lynd"

Idrownfish
Idrownfish

07.07.2013 | 5:43 AM ET

Nope, you are not weird. I felt a huge adrenalin dump when the fight ended, and I am still feeling a little bit sick. Thankfully, the UFC doesn't treat different cases as equals, and will acknowledge the magnitude of this event by listing Chris Weidman as an interim champion and Anderson Silva as the champion for a while (maybe a week or so?). I am not exactly sure of what the UFC means by doing that, but for some reason it feels adequate. I took a screenshot of the UFC's official rankings while they still list Anderson as champion =P

barochoc
barochoc
  • Predictions:  808  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  18
  • Post Score: 139

07.07.2013 | 8:47 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 1171st

That's brilliant & so true. I was expecting a Silva KO/TKO in R3 myself but took my imaginary hat off to Weidman after he dropped The Spider. It was one of the most mixed & strangest tug-of-war feelings I've ever had!

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 8:59 AM ET *

"Better to burn out than to fade away!"

2kTweeK
2kTweeK
  • Predictions:  6,520  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,103
  • Post Score: 141

07.07.2013 | 9:08 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 413th

Anderson shoots to the top of my ****list for handing over his title without a fight, he would of easily beat Weidman if he didnt act like a clown
SoccerKick
SoccerKick
  • Predictions:  32,055  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13,504
  • Post Score: 186

07.07.2013 | 9:55 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 595 Points   |   Tied for 157th

I will say this Tapology thank you for not being in the group saying Anderson threw the fight! 

* Edited at 07.07.2013, 9:55 AM ET *

"I'm too old to be run by the fears of dumb people "

vazio
vazio
  • Predictions:  17,518  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,205
  • Post Score: 225

07.07.2013 | 10:15 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 681st

@HouseSparrow that's exactly how I feel... I was in total denial, looking at the screen saying to no one "he's just joking, right? he can't be KOed out cold like that... this is all a big joke... RIGHT?" it took me a good five minutes to realize the fight was really over. still feeling sick about this, what a terrible way to end the Silva era.
ICEMAN23
ICEMAN23
  • Predictions:  2,885  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  123
  • Post Score: 77

07.07.2013 | 10:31 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 1494th

Totally feel the same way @HouseSparrow. I woke up this morning with a bad taste this morning. All i could think about was the fight. I feel cheated, i feel disgusted, i really dont know how i should feel. If Weidman would really beat Silva, I would b fine with that. But Silva just let him win. Like he could give a **** less. Im so pissed
StickmanAndrw
StickmanAndrw
  • Predictions:  5,405  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,146
  • Post Score: 141

07.07.2013 | 10:38 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 791st

Simply craziness.  I think that's all we can say after this.  I think most of us knew Weidman had the talent to someday be a champion, most of us didn't expect it to be last night!  

As far as Silva showboating, here's my take.   Silva's done this showboating thing for years, to get into his opponent's head and get them to make a mistake.  It's worked for years.  However, to Weidman's credit, he didn't fall for it and just kept on doing his thing.  It finally gets to the point where Silva himself is getting frustrated and keeps trying more and more to get into Weidman's head.  Obviously, we all know the result.  

I say the increased showboating might more be Silva trying Plan A over and over again and getting more and more frustrated that it wasn't working.  

Still though, what a sad way for his title reign to end.  It always seems that the greatest fighters fall eventually, and it always happens way sooner than we expected or hoped.  Chuck Liddell's fall was sudden, Fedor's was sudden, and Silva suddenly is no longer champion and who knows how he's gonna come back from this, if he does at all.  Sadly, this is how it works in MMA, the end of a era always comes too quickly and abruptly.

That being said, serious props to Weidman!  He just did what nobody's ever done (and possibly ever will do again), knocking out the greatest striker in MMA history!  Oh, and now he's a champion, that's cool too!

"I can't think of anything witty to say at the moment..."

Page 30

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Dana White Set To Roast Tom Brady On Netflix
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja ready to claim ‘King of Rio’ title if Jose Aldo retires
  • MMA Junkie : Tim Welch reveals his side of Sean O'Malley's sparring session with Alexandre Pantoja
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia live stream online
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Stream: Highlights, Results And More!
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: There's no respect for 'smaller dudes' Conor McGregor, Max Holloway if it weren't for Jose Aldo
  • MMA Mania : How To Stream Canelo Vs. Munguia PPV Card
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira blasts ‘scared’ UFC middleweights for refusing fights, done calling out opponents
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 'Embedded,' No. 6: 'I suspect we're going to piss off a lot of Brazil'
  • MMA Mania : Preview: Canelo Vs. Munguia Full Fight Breakdown
  • Middle Easy : Ronda Rousey Agrees To Write Script For Netflix Film Based On Her Memoirs
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith dismisses online trolls ahead of UFC 301: ‘Fans are stupid’
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown announces his MMA retirement: ‘Not doing it again, I’m out’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 MMA retirement tracker: A list of those who hung up the gloves
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Brown, owner of second-most knockouts in UFC history, announces MMA retirement
  • Middle Easy : Alex Pereira Responds To Jon Jones’ Callout, Says Bout With ‘Bones’ Will Be ‘Biggest Fight Of His Career’
  • MMA Junkie : Stephen A. Smith 'disgusted' by Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson being sanctioned as a professional boxing bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Jonathan Martinez already beat two of his UFC heroes, Jose Aldo is next: ‘He had his chance’
  • MMA Mania : Cha-Ching! Canelo Expected To Earn Massive Cinco De Mayo Payday
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301: Alexandre Pantoja vs. Steve Erceg live stream watch party at 9:45 p.m. ET