Topic: UFC 236

UFC 236: Holloway vs. Poirier 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,216
  • Post Score: 47

12.30.2018 | 11:50 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 236
  • Saturday 04.13.2019 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: State Farm Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $1,908,721
  • Attendance: 14,297
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 100,000 | TV Ratings: 893,000 avg. viewers (ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Dustin Poirier   defeats   Max Holloway   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Israel Adesanya   defeats   Kelvin Gastelum   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Khalil Rountree Jr.   defeats   Eryk Anders   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Dwight Grant   defeats   Alan Jouban   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nikita Krylov   defeats   Ovince St. Preux   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:30 Round 2 of 3, 7:30 Total Bout Page
Matt Frevola   defeats   Jalin Turner   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alexandre Pantoja   defeats   Wilson Reis   via KO/TKO, Punches   2:58 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Max Griffin   defeats   Zelim Imadaev   via Decision, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Khalid Taha   defeats   Boston Salmon   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:25 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Belal Muhammad   defeats   Curtis Millender   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Montel Jackson   defeats   Andre Soukhamthath   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Poliana Botelho   defeats   Lauren Mueller   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Brandon Davis   defeats   Randy Costa   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:12 Round 2 of 3, 6:12 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 5

JAGUARX007
JAGUARX007
  • Predictions:  7,929  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  336
  • Post Score: 173

04.05.2019 | 11:52 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 38th with 8 others

Yeah, so?? Учим русский короче.. Хабиб сначала выхвотит от Конора а потом и от Порье..

* Edited at 04.05.2019, 11:54 PM ET *

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.06.2019 | 12:14 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 1070th

Reis vs Pantoja

Reis, submission R2.

Pantoja has a lot of potential, but Reis AKA mini Yoel is too much for him at the stage of things. Reis will take him down and control him there virtually at will. Whether or not he gets a sub or not remains to be seen, he may just win a decsion, or possibly hit a TKO in the third.
confidence: 70%.

Grant vs Jouban

Grant, KO/TKO round 1.

This is a bad fight for Jouban, who is a slow starter and doesn't have the best hands or striking defense, and Grant is a big, fast puncher. This will probably be another head on the mantle for Grant who is proving to be one of the most dangerous finishers in the division.

Confidence: 70%.

Griffin vs Imadaev

Griffin, dec.

Very hard one to pick. Max has certainly laid some eggs in his last few outings, but he's also fought much stiffer competition. Imadaev has a lot of can crushes in his meager 8 fights inside the cage. That stated, he's finished almost everyone that's been put in front of him. I have to go with Griffin, because Imadaev is a striker, not a wrestleboxer which seem to give Max the most problems. I think Griffin beat Alves, albeit by a bee's ****.

Confidence: 50%.

Rountree vs Anders

Khalil rountree, KO/TKO R2.

Another tough one to call. I'm mostly taking rountree because I officially departed the Anders train after that absolutely pathetic performance against the ring *****. Rountree is the more aggressive fighter, and since both of them have the fight IQ of your average Christmas ham, I'll take Khail by committing more and either landing something, or winning by decision. 

confidence: 55%.

Muhammad vs Millender

Millender, KO/TKO R1.

I think Curtis is going to catch Belal before he can execute his wrestling attacks. It's that simple.If that doesn't happen, Millender will get GNP'ed to death or subbed.

confidence: 30%

Turner vs Frevola

Turner, decision.

The definition of a coin toss. Frevola is the more intelligent fighter, turner is the better striker. I have no idea who wins this. I'll take turner I guess.

confidence: 20%

Salmon vs Taha

This is a good fight. This is a really, really ******* good fight that will absolutely be violent and end in a finish. They're both about equal in terms of power, Taha is probably a wee bit more slick, but Salmon is better at finding openings. He's got the better conditioning and has an iron chin. I think he wins by KO/TKO here. Someone is going to, anyway.

Confidence: 65%.

* Edited at 04.06.2019, 12:23 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 10 months, 4 weeks, 5 hours, and 55 minutes from now.
TheBushin
TheBushin
  • Predictions:  45  |  53.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 100

04.06.2019 | 12:29 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 0 of 1 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 2606th

Holloway vs. Poirier II
Max Holloway, DEC
holloway will win but dustin will never be KOed

Detroit Superstar
Detroit Superstar
  • Predictions:  11,385  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,331
  • Post Score: 161

04.06.2019 | 1:35 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 8 Winners, 2 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 1979th

I apologize Bruce for you thinking I was testing your intelligence or making a dumb rebuttal. That was not my intention but I can see how you may have read into I guess it was a misunderstanding with the lenghty layoff that Max Holloway had prior to his nice performance against Ortega. As you mentioned you already knew that providing the fight happens as planned it'll be  his 2nd fight in 14 months. I hope for a great fight, no controversial decisions or injuries. Besides that we have 2 of the most active fighters in the game. Holloway averaging a fight every 4.3 months and Poirier averaging a fight roughly every 4.5 months. It'll be interesting to see this rematch at 155lbs. Max is on a crazy winning streak and Poirier is a different animal at 155lbs. 

My bad for the misunderstanding. I'm not here to take jabs at you. Like i said i apologize if I offended you. 

Off to finish the last One Championship card. I'm about half way thru. Pretty nice show they did on TNT cable with less taking and more fighting. 

* Edited at 04.06.2019, 1:37 AM ET *

Detroit Superstar
Detroit Superstar
  • Predictions:  11,385  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,331
  • Post Score: 161

04.06.2019 | 1:45 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 8 Winners, 2 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 1979th

Imadaev, What's the deal with him? He's got a nice record but his competition hasn't been that great. 

I would say the 3 hardest fights to pick are;
1. Salmon vs Taha
2. Griffin vs Imadaev
3. OSP vs Krylov

Salmon should definitely be undefeated. Biggest robbery I've ever witnessed was his Zac Riley Loss. Compete garbage decision. Taha is pretty solid in his own right. Could see that going either way imo. Favoring Taha slightly.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

04.06.2019 | 1:50 AM ET

@Detroit true that my bro, the Zac Riley decision was utter horse ****. Shouldn't have even been a split.

Imadaev is good. Heavy hands, plenty tough. Not sure he's got enough for Griffin though assuming Max turns up. If we get the Griffin that fought Perry he will romp it in and probably win by KO/TKO. He's taken a **** in his last couple though.

* Edited at 04.06.2019, 1:51 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 10 months, 4 weeks, 5 hours, and 55 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

04.06.2019 | 3:40 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 460th

I apologize as well. 

I'm 100% in agreement that Max is a pretty odd, tough match-up for Zelims debut. Really need the face-off to see if Zelim is feeling the UFC pressure, if not, he could very well clip Max early & often. Otherwise, Griffin will probably take over late IMO anyway. Zelim is exciting & has natural power, but as we all know, Griffin has the better experience. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 4 days, 19 hours, and 10 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

04.06.2019 | 3:41 AM ET

OSP vs Krylov II
*shrugs* 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 4 days, 19 hours, and 10 minutes from now.
AtoZsportsinv
AtoZsportsinv
  • Predictions:  1,447  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 183

04.07.2019 | 8:45 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 3 of 5 Winners, 2 Perfect, 200 Points   |   Tied for 2258th

Gastelum vs. Adesanya
Kelvin Gastelum, DEC
This fight comes down to one thing. Distance & pace. Who dictates the distance and pace wins this fight. I give the edge to Gastelum here. This fight goes deep into the championship rounds. I think the judges will be needed and Gastelum gets a very close decision win.

"Aiming to be professional sports handicapper"

AtoZsportsinv
AtoZsportsinv

04.07.2019 | 9:00 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Jackson vs. Soukhamthath
Montel Jackson, DEC
Jackson should win this fight but -400 is way to high of odds. This is not an easy fight for Montel. One he should and probably win but not one you can load up on at the betting window at -400

MarioSuperSmash
MarioSuperSmash
  • Predictions:  2,228  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  328
  • Post Score: 38

04.08.2019 | 3:00 PM ET

@AtoZsportsinv I disagree completely. Adesanya has shown that he can go 5 hard rounds maintaining his very elite skill set and distance management and kelvin has also shown us as the fight goes on he slows down. kelvin imo has to win in those first 2 rounds otherwise Adesanya will pick him apart rounds 3-5 

"Eat Sleep Gamble on fights 👊🏿👊🏿👊🏿"

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

04.08.2019 | 5:38 PM ET

AtoZsportsinv
AtoZsportsinv

04.09.2019 | 11:35 AM ET

@NokSukowMMA519 Gastelum has done 5 hard rounds with Magny and done 3 hard rounds with guys like Souza and Hall. Grappling heavy fights take way more out of fighters then stand up striking bouts. Adesanya has been able to set pace and not be forced to work very hard in his fights. The one 5 round fight he had vs. Tavares was stroll through the park. Gastelum is going to push him and grapple. It will be the late rounds that go to Kelvin not Isreal. Adesanya better get out of there early or pace work against him and he will fade and get taken down and beat up. 

MarioSuperSmash
MarioSuperSmash
  • Predictions:  2,228  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  328
  • Post Score: 38

04.09.2019 | 7:25 PM ET

@AtoZsportsinv Kelvin slowed down big time in that R3 vs Jacare and he also slowed down when he fought weidman. cardio definitely goes to Adesanya also worth noting kelvin will get tired when he keeps eating adesanya's jabs and straight punches especially with that 8.5 inch reach advantage he has and his very elite distance skills.... in the end I'll take my 66% UFC predictions rate over your 61% any day of the week. #BigBankTakeLittleBank 💰💰💰😎

* Edited at 04.09.2019, 7:30 PM ET *

"Eat Sleep Gamble on fights 👊🏿👊🏿👊🏿"

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

04.09.2019 | 9:55 PM ET

Gastelum vs Adesanya

Essentially everything about this fight centers around two things:

a) Can Adesanya stay on his feet
b) can Gastelum bunch Adesanya up and use his fast pocket striking to beat him up and/or KO him.

Everything else is pretty much commentary. On the first point, Gastelum actually doesn't have amazing TD accuracy. It's only 50%, which isn't ****-melting awesome by any stretch of the imagination. Now consider that Adesanya has a TDD rate of 85%, the fact that he's a good dancer, very mobile, and this paints a clearer picture of the probability of Adesanya getting taken down enough for this to be a deciding factor in this fight. Kelvin may get him down once or twice, but he'll spend a lot of energy trying to do it, for little to no reward.

On point b, Adesanya is a much, much better and more diverse striker than Gastelum is or ever will be. Gastelum does one thing well, and that's hit like a mack truck in the phone booth as he is planted heavily as an ancient redwood. He has very fast short combinations, but they are predictable, and He cannot strike moving backwards, and cannot strike off the balls of his feet. I fully expect Adesanya to basically eat him up standing in every situation that isn't very intimate range, making Kelvin chase him, hit a lot of air, and punch himself out for not much effect.

I think Gastelum has a puncher's chance in this, and not much more. To win, he needs to march Adesanya to the fence, and stick to him like **** to a blanket, mixing in single legs with dirty boxing. Whenever Adesanya gets space, he'll absolutely dominate the fight. Kelvin has got to force firefights by getting Israel out of the center using pressure wrestling and grappling, and take advantage of them heavily when they emerge. If he doesn't, he'll get teeped and kicked to bits. His best strategy is to go nuts right out the gate, try and take three, and coast or survive in the last two.

And I expect Kelvin to follow that game plan until he tires out, either at the end of the third or the opening/middle of the fourth. I don't think he can keep up the pace required to win, and will get finished in a state of depletion. Which will suck, because I like Kelvin but really he has no business with the real cats at 185, and because he's a fat ****** he can't drop down.

Adesanya KO/TKO R4.

* Edited at 04.10.2019, 12:33 AM ET *

BradThom717
BradThom717
  • Predictions:  9,468  |  68.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,387
  • Post Score: 271

04.10.2019 | 5:07 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 720th

Holloway vs. Poirier II
Max Holloway, TKO, R4
I think this was the "next best rematch at 155lbs" for Max, but it's still a great fight.. Annnd I like Poirier. A lot more at Lightweight too. He got his title shot the old fashioned way of letting his work do the talking. But Maaaan, Max is something special. He's a step above being in the prime, And I expect the trend to keep rolling...

Gastelum vs. Adesanya
Israel Adesanya, DEC
I think this fight was made solely because of that *** moment Gastelum should forever be ashamed for of doing that interview with a belt that he wore all night claiming that Whittaker forfeited the belt and he was new champ. And Israel even told him to put the belt down after beating the Anderson Silva with jelly rolls version.. Annnd the UFC looooves them their interim-interim titles...

Anders vs. Rountree
Eryk Anders, TKO, R2
I have secretly been praying to the fight gods for this fight. Coz I honestly thought it'd guarantee a prime candidate not for fight of the year, but round. If it goes down like it does in my mind, they fight to a double death KO. I reallyyyy hope I didn't just jinx this ****

Jouban vs. Grant
Alan Jouban, DEC
Dwight Grant looks ****** hilarious... Between his bugly eyes and the torso that never fully grew... Idk man...

Reis vs. Pantoja
Alexandre Pantoja, DEC
I always thought Pantōja was good... ever since that season of TUF. But lately, he's looked great! Definitely hitting his stride... You could say the exact opposite for Wilson Reis

Salmon vs. Taha
Boston Salmon, DEC
ARE WE FINALLY GONNA GET TO SEE BOSTON SALMON INSIDE THE UFC OCTAGON, FIGHTING!?

Muhammad vs. Millender
Curtis Millender, DEC
Welp. Elízeu Zaleski laid out the blueprint on completely starching Millender. Do I see Belal doing that? No, not really. And considering how much of a beating that man Muhammad can take, I dnt ever see him getting finished here. Millender by decision

Botelho vs. Mueller
Poliana Botelho, DEC
Crazy how life works sometimes,.. I think Botelho went from almost certain defeat to almost certain victory. Of course, it's the fight game and anything can and will happen. But I'm not sold on the idea that Lauren Mueller is UFC ready, already.

Costa vs. Davis
Brandon Davis, DEC
Is this the Joe Lauzon trained kid everybody keeps telling me about?? At 4 pro fights.... Then again, that Aaron Pico kid only has 4 or 5 fights too

"**** Fentanyl & **** Opiates too..."

phillip53
phillip53
  • Predictions:  45,863  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,398
  • Post Score: 305

04.10.2019 | 6:30 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 252nd

im sticking with  poirier, i think he has too much power for max. it might take him 3 or 4 rounds to land a clean hard shot, but he will and when he does max is going to realize lightweight is a big difference form featherw

ive changed my pick on gastelum/adasanya. after much reflection and some more research im going kelvin to catch israel with a hard left hand sometime in round 3 or 4.

anders/roundtree, this could be round of the year if it lasts that long. im sticking with eryk.

grant catches the slow starting joban early or he prolly loses. grant ko round 1.

pantoja/reis ill take the fresher, younger fighter not much confidence on this one.

boston salmon probably has the best boxing pedigree in the ufc right now. this has to be my most confident pick of the night. doesnt go the distance, salmon ko round 2 or 3.

muhammad/millender, no confidence on this one either but i'll take muhammad by decision.

jackson/soukhamthath, jackson prolly wins but the line is way screwy. 

bothelo/mueller, both of these girls were pretty hyped and both laid an egg last time out. bothello is the better looking so i'll take her by decision.

davis/costa, gotta take the experience here, fighting the beer vendor from the venue doesnt count for much, davis for the win.

* Edited at 04.10.2019, 6:35 AM ET *

"you dont need religion to have morals. if you can't tell right from wrong you lack empathy and humanity, not religion."

jacomalfoy1
jacomalfoy1
  • Predictions:  26,378  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  270
  • Post Score: 187

04.10.2019 | 8:27 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 1341st

Holloway vs. Poirier II
Max Holloway, KO/TKO, R3
Dustin and Max literally have the same exact striking style, except Max inexplicably does it better. He touches and touches and touches until you just fall down. Poirier hits much harder, but I don't think he'll beat Max at his own game. Chances are he takes too much damage and falls down.

Gastelum vs. Adesanya
Israel Adesanya, DEC
I knew this kid was special from his first UFC fight, his style is just so hard to beat. Kelvin would literally have to run after him to land a punch, and that **** would look just like Bader vs. Machida. I think Israel plays it safe and sticks him with 1-2's through the full 5, staying away from the takedown.

Costa vs. Davis
Randy Costa, DEC
Alas, the last of the Alan Belcher trained fighters that will likely ever be in the UFC. Brandon Davis is the striking coach at Belcher's gym, but have you noticed that he can't ******* strike? The dude has no boxing fundamentals, no wonder Jason Knight doesn't know how to block a punch. He'll be lucky if he doesn't get clipped, but I'll say he loses a clear decision.

"USA in this hoe"

Scotty1039
Scotty1039
  • Predictions:  3,531  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 114

04.10.2019 | 12:40 PM ET

UFC 236

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 867th

IMO, Max will do to Poirier what he did to Ortega (Dr. Stoppage), Max will keep the fight upright and he will box, kick and elbow until the ref calls over the doctor for a merciful stoppage! 

The preceding fights (all confirmed) look to me like a very good if not the best card in a long while.

Check out my picks attached.

My record 62.32%
foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,061  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

04.10.2019 | 6:26 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 330 Points   |   1280th Place

Gastelum vs. Adesanya
Israel Adesanya, DEC
9" reach advantage for Adesanya is going to give Gastelum some issues I think.

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : ‘Problem-Solving’ Cory Sandhagen Reveals One Weakness He Sees In Unbeaten Umar Nurmagomedov
  • UFC.com : Rankings Report | Week of May 6, 2024
  • Bad Left Hook : Jermall Charlo charged with DWI and fleeing after crashing Lamborghini
  • UFC.com : Last Time In St. Louis
  • UFC.com : Billy Goff Is Willing To Take The Risks
  • MMA Mania : White Accused Of Betting On NFL During Boring Bout
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry unsure Darren Till fight happens, teases interest in Caleb Plant: ‘Bring it on, motherf*ckers’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 commentary team, broadcast plans set: Laura Sanko joins booth for second time in 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Payton Talbott draws Yanis Ghemmouri at UFC 303 on June 29
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Sound & Pound — Will Lewis Turn Back Another Prospect?
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Jon Jones 'smart' for going after Alex Pereira over Tom Aspinall
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja dreams of fight against flyweight ‘GOAT’ Demetrious Johnson
  • MMA Mania : Brain Damage Forces Hardy From BKFC 61
  • MMA Junkie : Heather Hardy suffering from effects of 'too much brain damage,' indicates fighting career is over
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC champ Dricus du Plessis perform as Wildebeest on The Masked Singer
  • Middle Easy : Patchy Mix Declares Himself As ‘Best Bantamweight On The Planet’, Says He’d ‘Sleep’ Sean O’Malley And Petr Yan
  • MMA Mania : ‘One Of Us Has To Die’
  • UFC.com : Rodrigo Nascimento Out To Prove He Belongs
  • MMA Junkie : Dustin Poirier explains how Islam Makhachev 'more of a threat' than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Reaction to Cory Sandhagen vs. Umar Nurmagomedov booking, fallout of UFC 301