Topic: UFC 299

UFC 299: O'Malley vs. Vera 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,202
  • Post Score: 47

11.07.2023 | 11:12 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 299
  • Saturday 03.09.2024 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Kaseya Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $14,142,904
  • Attendance: 19,165
  • MMA Bouts: 14
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Sean O'Malley   defeats   Marlon Vera   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Dustin Poirier   defeats   Benoit Saint-Denis   via KO/TKO, Right Hook   2:32 Round 2 of 5, 7:32 Total Bout Page
Michael Page   defeats   Kevin Holland   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jack Della Maddalena   defeats   Gilbert Burns   via KO/TKO, Knee to Ground Strikes   3:43 Round 3 of 3, 13:43 Total Bout Page
Petr Yan   defeats   Yadong Song   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Curtis Blaydes   defeats   Jailton Almeida   via KO/TKO, Hammerfists   0:36 Round 2 of 3, 5:36 Total Bout Page
Maycee Barber   defeats   Katlyn Cerminara   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mateusz Gamrot   defeats   Rafael dos Anjos   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Kyler Phillips   defeats   Pedro Munhoz   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Philipe Lins   defeats   Ion Cutelaba   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Michel Pereira   defeats   Michał Oleksiejczuk   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:01 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Robelis Despaigne   defeats   Josh Parisian   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   0:18 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Asu Almabaev   defeats   CJ Vergara   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Joanne Wood   defeats   Maryna Moroz   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 31

pashaboyer
pashaboyer
  • Predictions:  156  |  52.6%
  • Forum Posts:  376
  • Post Score: -3

03.06.2024 | 5:16 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 6040th

@foppa420 
I strongly suggest you watch Pages whole fight, (bare knuckle fight) if you see how open Page leaves himself, and I just don’t think it’s gonna go well for him if Holland touches the chin.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, wasn’t the last time Holland that close with odds being the favorite, he dominated? 🤔 

* Edited at 03.06.2024, 5:19 PM ET *

pashaboyer
pashaboyer

03.06.2024 | 5:20 PM ET

@jeffferson 
take Yan. He was -140 at opening odds for a reason. Let’s gooo!! 🔥 
hom3r95
hom3r95
  • Predictions:  253  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 120

03.06.2024 | 5:42 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 0 of 1 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 7272nd

Blaydes vs. Almeida
Jailton Almeida, SUB, R2
Almeida has 7 fights in the UFC. I know one is DWCS but it still counts because its the same production. Blaydes has looked good against

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,412  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,513
  • Post Score: 128

03.06.2024 | 6:05 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 7 Perfect, 730 Points   |   Tied for 777th

Took a stab at CJ +450 even though the UFC is trying to set up Almabayev here.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

UFC5isbad
UFC5isbad
  • Predictions:  39  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: -100

03.06.2024 | 6:09 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 7 Perfect, 715 Points   |   Tied for 954th

CJ gonna win just you wait
Liakizm
Liakizm
  • Predictions:  389  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 50

03.06.2024 | 6:19 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 640 Points   |   Tied for 2323rd

O'Malley vs. Vera II
Sean O'Malley, DEC
The battle of the finisher vs the guy that's never been finished.

Liakizm
Liakizm
  • Predictions:  389  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 50

03.06.2024 | 6:35 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 640 Points   |   Tied for 2323rd

Poirier vs. Saint-Denis
Benoit Saint-Denis, SUB, R4
going with BSD SUB based on age and momentum, dustins coming off a knockout. dustin still has a chance to win this but I think he gets caught and bsd follows him to the ground and gets a choke

Holland vs. Page
Michael Page, DEC
this fight is a 50/50 to me. my decision stems from MVP has better foot work. so i think he will slightly out point holland. but holland has fought way better competition and has youth and range in his favor.

Burns vs. Maddalena
Gilbert Burns, SUB, R3
this one is risky because i think JDM has crisp boxing but i think burns toughness comes in handy and he can use his superior grappling to tire out jdm and find the submission late in the fight

Yan vs. Song
Petr Yan, DEC
even though momentum is on the side of song,i do not feel that petr is done. i think he can do more damage if he can defend the takedowns of song.

Blaydes vs. Almeida
Jailton Almeida, TKO, R2
this fight is 50/50. but i can see almeida getting on top and getting the gnp finish.

Cerminara vs. Barber
Maycee Barber, DEC
strictly picked because of the youth advantage.

antcav
antcav
  • Predictions:  350  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  11
  • Post Score: 0

03.06.2024 | 7:50 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 3542nd

O'Malley vs. Vera II
Sean O'Malley
O'Malley is coming off a TKO victory to one of the greatest bantamweights ever in his prime, while Chito is coming off of arguably a robbery to an older fighter. A lot of Chito's wins have either been robberies or later round finishes against not the best of competition. I think the only reason they are giving Chito a title fight is because they think O'Malley loses the belt against Merab or Umar, and they want him to remain champ as long as possible. O'Malley wins a boring decision.

Poirier vs. Saint-Denis
Benoit Saint-Denis
BSD is the younger and fresher fighter and is coming off of a head kick KO victory, while Poirier is sadly passed his prime and his coming off of a head kick KO loss. Prime Poirier I pick every day of the week, but this isn't prime Poirier. I expect BSD to be too much for this version of Poirier, and to finish him well before the championship rounds.

Holland vs. Page
Michael Page
Similar to when Chandler came to the UFC, I believe that they think this is a fight that Page should be able to win. I like Holland a lot, but would he have had the same success if we was in Bellator? I expect an exciting fight that goes the distance, and for Page to win 29-28 across the board.

Burns vs. Maddalena
Gilbert Burns
Typically when we have these "changing of the guard" fights, the new school fighter wins when they have been dominating and/or the older fighter is coming off of a bad KO loss. If Burns is still who he has been in the past, I think he fraud checks JDM. JDM struggled his last two fights and this is a big step up. The only way I see Burns losing is if he is not fully recovered from his shoulder surgery. I'm expecting JDM to be fraud checked similar to Gaethje/Fiziev, Belal/Brady, Beneil/Gamrot, Volkov/Romanov, Yanez/Font, Hermansson/Pyfer etc.

Yan vs. Song
Petr Yan
Similar to Burns/JDM, I expect Yan to be able to handle Yadong easily enough. Let's not forget that Yan went toe to toe with Aljo twice and beat Sandhagen fairly easily. He also was robbed against O'Malley. Losing to Merab/Aljo/O'Malley is nothing to be ashamed of. Yadong is not the same type of fighter as Merab, and I expect Yan to get back on track against a fighter that is a level below him.

Blaydes vs. Almeida
Jailton Almeida
At first I was going to side with Blaydes. He's going to be the much bigger and heavier fighter and Almeida has yet to face a huge wrestler. Blaydes has some KO power as well. However, the more I think about it, Almeida is the much fresher and quicker fighter. I'm sure he's strong enough to take Blaydes down (who also hasn't really ever faced a wrestler). Although Lewis isn't a wrestler, he's still a monster and Jailton was able to win 50-44 against him even with the size disadvantage. I know Blaydes is a tremendous wrestler, but I think Jailton's jiu jitsu will negate that. Blaydes is also coming off of yet another KO loss. I wouldn't be shocked either way, but I can just imagine Almeida wowing us with how he can handle Blaydes on the ground, and maybe even submit him. 

Cerminara vs. Barber
Katlyn Cerminara
Although she lost, Cerminara looked pretty good against Fiorot, who is a future champ in my opinion. Cerminara has time and time again been counted out against less than fighters, and she usually proves everyone wrong. Her losses are to Fiorot, Andrade, Shevchenko, etc. On the other hand, Barber (like Chito) keeps winning by robbery, such as the Maverick and Lee fights. Barber definitely has momentum after finishing Ribas, but I can't pick against Cerminara while she's fighting someone that is on Andrea Lee's level. I do want to note that Cerminara had 2 miscarriages since her last fight. Hopefully this doesn't effect her mentally (or physically, as she's stated how she was 170 pounds after the second miscarriage.) 

Gamrot vs. dos Anjos
Mateusz Gamrot
RDA is surprisingly not that bad for his age and experience, but Gamrot should be too much for him. I also don't like that RDA is coming back down in weight. While he has had more success at lightweight, this weight cut has to be getting harder and harder as he gets older. Gamrot is one of my 3 locks of the card.

Munhoz vs. Phillips
Pedro Munhoz
I do think Kyler is very good, however, his best win is against Song Yadong when he was 23. I don't think he beats him now. The Paiva loss isn't great and he hasn't been dominating guys he should be, like Barcelos, if he wants to be on Munhoz level. Munhoz, on the other hand, has proven that he hasn't fell off at all. He won the first round against O'Malley before the eye poke, and he arguarbly was robbed by Chito, who is now fighting for the belt. It's always tough picking an older fighter, but I need to see the regression before assuming it occured.

Pereira vs. Oleksiejczuk
Michel Pereira
I feel like everybody forgot about how highly they thought of Pereira before his layoff. His last fight he looked a little more poised, and was still able to finish a pretty good fighter in Petroski in the first. Oleksiejczuk is an exciting fighter as well, but Pereira should get the finish. I'm staying away from betting this one, but it could arguably be one of the most exciting fights on the card.

Lins vs. Cutelaba
Ion Cutelaba
Lins has looked very good at LHW, but Ion should be able to get this done. I feel like his stock lowered after he lost to Spann and Walker. He had no business being favorites against them. However, when Cutelaba is against an opponent of the following tier, which I believe Lins is, he typically is able to get the finish which I think he does here. This should be another exciting fight.

Despaigne vs. Parisian
Robelis Despaigne
This is clearly a showcase fight for Despaigne. Parisian is bottom of the barrel. It's not really going to prove if Despaigne is the real deal or not, but he should get the first round KO. He's not MMA experienced, but let's not forget his background in Tae Kwon Do. He knows how to fight. This is another lock of the card.

Vergara vs. Almabaev
Asu Almabaev
This fight is also a lock. Similar to the Despaigne fight, we're not going to learn much because Vergara isn't that good. Look for Almabaev to put on a grappling clinic in a boring fight.

Wood vs. Moroz
Joanne Wood
I think Wood is a pretty good fighter. Not a title contender, but she's experienced enough to beat fighters that I don't believe are that good. I wouldn't bet, since this is Wood's retirement fight, so who knows where her head will be at. However, I have to side with Wood on this one.
DevinM34
DevinM34
  • Predictions:  427  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  868
  • Post Score: 160

03.06.2024 | 8:26 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 655 Points   |   Tied for 2023rd

O'Malley vs. Vera II
Sean O'Malley, DEC
I don't put any stock in that first fight. That was many years ago and although Chito did earn that win by kicking the nerve, the odds of that happening again are worse than getting struck by lightning twice. I do think Chito's style presents O'Malley with some problems, ESPECIALLY in a 5 round fight where Chito has time to get going. O'Malley loves to work his jab and Chito has one of the best guards in the UFC. He always keeps his hands up and rarely ever takes damage. O'Malley is going to outwork him with volume 100%, but if Chito throws back and Sean's face starts to wear damage while Chito's face is squeaky clean then things can start to get interesting. This is pretty much a lock to go the distance to me and damage can heavily sway a judge, as it should. I am taking Sean here though. He's just a level above Chito in my opinion, and should be able to use his footwork and boxing to outpoint Chito to a pretty boring decision.

Poirier vs. Saint-Denis
Dustin Poirier, TKO, R4
I think this is too much too soon for BSD. I get Poirier just got head kick KO'ed and he's 35 years old, but this dude has been one of the elites at 155 for years now. And now he's this big of an underdog against someone who's best win is against Frevola? This to me looks a lot like an incoming fraud check. BSD is one of those prospects that throws everything he has at you early to try to get you out of there and we see all the time that that style doesn't usually work when you start fighting guys at the top. I know BSD is dangerous and he could definitely get Poirier out of their early, but Poirier has thrived in chaos his entire career. If he can weather the storm I think we're going to see the tide start to turn. Poirier will smell the blood in the water, turn up the pressure, get BSD leaning against the cage, and melt him with his boxing combinations for the TKO victory.

* Edited at 03.06.2024, 9:32 PM ET *

"My balls was hot"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,792  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,562
  • Post Score: 262

03.06.2024 | 10:56 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 7 Perfect, 700 Points   |   Tied for 1169th

Just thinking about it now, Does Curtis Blaydes have knees anymore??? Last 5 or so fights he barely been wresling, And one thing about wresling is that it’s bad on your knees, especially for a big boy like Blaydes, I wouldn’t be surprise if he knees are done and that why he not shotting anymore. Not just because he fell in love with his hands

Kinda similar to what happen to Kamuru

* Edited at 03.06.2024, 10:58 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,412  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,513
  • Post Score: 128

03.06.2024 | 11:25 PM ET

@DamienHandel420

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 7 Perfect, 730 Points   |   Tied for 777th

Idk Duck. He really seems bothered by people's perception of him being a boring wrestler if you listen to interviews with him.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

broccoliman
broccoliman
  • Predictions:  1,179  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  101
  • Post Score: 160

03.06.2024 | 11:44 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 730 Points   |   Tied for 777th

“fraud check” has to be one of the most misused terms in the MMA community
pashaboyer
pashaboyer

03.07.2024 | 12:32 AM ET

Blayeds is losing this fight…. Just can’t trust him anymore.
BoneDoinWork
BoneDoinWork
  • Predictions:  1,805  |  58.7%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 43

03.07.2024 | 12:38 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 550 Points   |   Tied for 4248th

O'Malley vs. Vera II
Sean O'Malley, DEC
SOURCE A

Poirier vs. Saint-Denis
Dustin Poirier, DEC
SOURCE d

OleBuffalo
OleBuffalo
  • Predictions:  113  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 233

03.07.2024 | 1:36 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 4 of 5 Winners, 3 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 6807th

Despaigne vs. Parisian
Robelis Despaigne, TKO, R1
Seems like this fight is meant to get Rogelio some hype and expect him to blast Parisian into orbit

Vergara vs. Almabaev
Asu Almabaev, SUB, R2
Prob sub, possibly decision

grayerman
grayerman
  • Predictions:  818  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  562
  • Post Score: 60

03.07.2024 | 2:16 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 6539th

@broccoliman 
for real, these goofs need to stop with the fraud checks and gatekeepers

"Winter is coming."

grayerman
grayerman
  • Predictions:  818  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  562
  • Post Score: 60

03.07.2024 | 2:48 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 6539th

Yan vs. Song
Yadong Song, TKO, R3
I like Song because of his recent activity level and Yan has been to many decisions as of late.

"Winter is coming."

pashaboyer
pashaboyer

03.07.2024 | 3:20 AM ET

@dianabanana 
just flat lines Yan right? Lol
IceOrc
IceOrc
  • Predictions:  3,961  |  73.5%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 106

03.07.2024 | 4:22 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 3807th

jeffferson
jeffferson
  • Predictions:  487  |  72.5%
  • Forum Posts:  785
  • Post Score: 148

03.07.2024 | 5:26 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 8 Perfect, 765 Points   |   Tied for 478th

@dianabanana 
thanks for the indepth breakdown, bro. Very smart reasons to pick Song for that.😂

* Edited at 03.07.2024, 5:38 AM ET *

"Train by day, Joe Rogan podcast by night" - Nick Diaz

Page 31

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Alex Pereira Challenges Anthony Smith To $50,000 Grappling Match, Smith Accepts
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Veteran Raphael Assuncao Spits At 10th Planet Black Belt After Disqualification Win
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! O’Malley Wants Sleepy Time For Mac
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Sleep Sean O’Malley’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • MMA Mania : ‘My D—k Didn’t Get Hard!’ Brown Couldn’t ‘Get Fired Up’ About Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Snaps Back at ‘Sugar’d Up’ Conor McGregor Over Past PED Usage: ‘When Your Idols Turn to Rivals’
  • Middle Easy : Ian Garry Promises to ‘Slap the Mouth Off’ Colby Covingtong Within One Round: ‘Sign the F*cking Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo opens as big underdog for potential Sean O’Malley title fight
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Roasted Over Fighter Pay, Slams ‘Liberal F*cks’ Netflix During the Streaming Giant’s Tom Brady Special
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Felt I Can’t Say No’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 medical suspensions: Four fighters receive 180 days but not Jack Shore for leg wound
  • MMAFighting.com : Heather Hardy reveals career likely over due to ‘too much brain damage’
  • MMA Junkie : Weekend boxing review: Canelo Alvarez gave vintage performance. Is David Benavidez next?
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier thinks Islam Makhachev is underestimating him ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall In The Dark While Jones ‘Is Playing Games Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 medical suspensions: 3 winners potentially out 6 months
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo vs. Sean O’Malley? ‘Very Possible Chance’ Outlandish Title Fight Happens, Says Outspoken UFC Star
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Brown explains how UFC 300 snub finalized retirement decision, says BKFC signing 'not out of the question'
  • MMA Mania : Covington Knows Garry Is A ‘Terrible Stylistic Matchup’