Topic: UFC 299

UFC 299: O'Malley vs. Vera 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,122
  • Post Score: 47

11.07.2023 | 11:12 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 299
  • Saturday 03.09.2024 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Kaseya Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $14,142,904
  • Attendance: 19,165
  • MMA Bouts: 14
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Sean O'Malley   defeats   Marlon Vera   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Dustin Poirier   defeats   Benoit Saint-Denis   via KO/TKO, Right Hook   2:32 Round 2 of 5, 7:32 Total Bout Page
Michael Page   defeats   Kevin Holland   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jack Della Maddalena   defeats   Gilbert Burns   via KO/TKO, Knee to Ground Strikes   3:43 Round 3 of 3, 13:43 Total Bout Page
Petr Yan   defeats   Yadong Song   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Curtis Blaydes   defeats   Jailton Almeida   via KO/TKO, Hammerfists   0:36 Round 2 of 3, 5:36 Total Bout Page
Maycee Barber   defeats   Katlyn Cerminara   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds Bout Page
Mateusz Gamrot   defeats   Rafael dos Anjos   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Kyler Phillips   defeats   Pedro Munhoz   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Philipe Lins   defeats   Ion Cutelaba   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Michel Pereira   defeats   Michał Oleksiejczuk   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:01 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Robelis Despaigne   defeats   Josh Parisian   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   0:18 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Asu Almabaev   defeats   CJ Vergara   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Joanne Wood   defeats   Maryna Moroz   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 22

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,399  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,423
  • Post Score: 129

03.04.2024 | 1:27 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 7 Perfect, 730 Points   |   Tied for 777th

What a robbery guys

Media is 50/50, fans has the contested 2nd round 55/45 for Vera. Incredible, never seen a worse decision. Clearly a robbery. /s

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

grayerman
grayerman
  • Predictions:  805  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  547
  • Post Score: 59

03.04.2024 | 1:36 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 6539th

Formulate your own opinion challenge

"Winter is coming."

grayerman
grayerman
  • Predictions:  805  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  547
  • Post Score: 59

03.04.2024 | 2:31 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 6539th

Holland vs. Page
Kevin Holland, SUB, R2
something something Come and take it.

"Winter is coming."

GreenTeaEnthusiast
GreenTeaEnthusiast

03.04.2024 | 3:58 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 780 Points   |   Tied for 326th

O'Malley vs. Vera II
Sean O'Malley, TKO, R3
The golden goose. This fight has serious implications if O'Malley wins, because it could be setting the table for a champ vs. champ showdown versus Topuria in Europe - a monstrous way to kick open the doors to MMA viewership in Spain. On to the prediction. I'm riding with O'Malley here, which is 180 from me riding with Vera in the first fight (though I wasn't on Tap back then). Vera is much like Petr Yan in the sense that he bides his time to read his opponents and select his shots. We saw this in action against Munhoz when he discovered the jab and stepping left hook to be money-making tools, and he spammed them tactically en route to an eyebrow-raising decision. Problem is, not only will the early rounds be hell against O'Malley, but much like The Sandman, he's very much a puzzle of a striker to peruse, poised with different angles, seamless stance switches, and about the prettiest counter game in the UFC. Fighting O'Malley is akin to walking on eggshells. If you're not careful enough, you're bound to slip and pay a CTE price for it. While I do see Chito being able to amass some success with conventional stance boxing and the occassional low-kick — which he'll heavily employ but to varying degrees of effectiveness — I simply can't visualize him standing and trading with O'Malley, and coming away from it successfully. He's not skilled enough a grappler to put on a show with genius setups, so that's virtually ruled out. At the end of the day, O'Malley takes this comfortably. I even have a sneaking suspicion that some special iron is in the fire. Watch out for O'Malley's planting, back-stepping right hand. I'll go out on a limb and say it sweeps Vera out of consciousness.

Poirier vs. Saint-Denis
Dustin Poirier, TKO, R4
I forgot just how ******* stacked this card is. It's amongst the best on paper in all my seven years of watching this sport. BSD is surfing all the momentum right now, and Poirier is in the ever-difficult veteran spot of bouncing back from a cold KO. Recovery ability is a major point of interest after being "sent to the stratosphere" this late in his career. I also find it interesting to hear Poirier talk about how this "might be it" for him, though I won't put too much stock into it because historically, Poirier has always been a down to Earth man, and as such, I don't see that hindering him mentally. While momentum is absolutely a crucial determinant in a fight's outcome, I can't help but feel that this is too much, too soon for BSD. I'm fully on the train and agree that there will come a day where he challenges for a title, but it's just not that time yet. BSD's best bet here is to make this a dirty, dirty scrap, but I can't even back him in that. He has, admittedly, evolved a ton from the ZDS beatdown, but for what it's worth, I see the same stylistic openings in his last few fights that make him a prime spot for a DP showcase. For one, he fights a lot in boxing range, and he tends to be a little bit passive in controlling fights against more active strikers; the issue with that is DP can get ahead of him early in the fight, and when that happens, it's pretty much a wrap. It would be nice to see BSD produce a spectacle after calling his shots like Ilia did, but this will wind up being another case of the seasoned veteran cleaning up the apprentice. It's just too much at the moment.

Holland vs. Page
Michael Page, DEC
I hesitate to pick a winner here. Holland is one unpredictable ************, and he fights to entertain. That tends to resist his success in the Octagon a lot. Where Holland's scrappy unorthodox spider style falls off for me is that, when faced with other unpredictable or technical strikers, he freezes up. Page is not only the far more technical of the pair, but he's also got real stunning power. I firmly believe he could one-shot Holland, and once he feels that power, this will become another weird Holland fight where MVP coasts to a 29-28.

Burns vs. Maddalena
Jack Della Maddalena, TKO, R3
In no world do I understand JDM's fight against Holland being a split. As far as I remember, that was a 30-27 in his favor. While his lack of visual appeal in point fights may cost him later on in a truly close fight, I don't think it will here. Maddalena is everything that causes Burns to burn up. Long, sniperlike straight punches with a sound defensive foundation. Although, yes, Burns can get in close and work JDM to the ground, it just doesn't feel practical that that would happen. Again, momentum is huge, and it is all the way on JDM's side here. Burns just does not do well in fights against technical boxers who can stay calm amidst his blitzes. Jack will punish him with that jab and put him away late in the first.

Yan vs. Song
Petr Yan, DEC
Do or die moment for Yan. What a fall from grace it'd be if he loses this one. Fortunately though, MMA works in patterns, and this fight takes the form of the veteran, who appears to be out of the shark tank, coming back and proving his worth. Rob Font-esque. Yan is a remarkable striker, and Song shares many technical similarities with him. For one, they're both strictly fundamental boxers, mixing and matching different elements of the sweet science for highly creative and effective output. They're also both extremely cerebral individuals in the cage - both masters at adjusting on-the-fly so long as they get the breathing room to do so. The way you beat Yan is similar to the way you beat Song: start fast, get ahead, and stifle late efforts. My picking Petr Yan just comes down to the fact that he's done this at a higher level for quite a bit longer, and that veteran mentality is absolutely colossal here. If Song was a little bit more seasoned at this level, he'd be quicker at reading into Yan's boxing, and he'd honestly produce a highlight out of him. Still, Yan is the better functional striker as it stands, and he should put on a show here. Amazing fight.

HLMMA
HLMMA
  • Predictions:  93  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  22
  • Post Score: 82

03.04.2024 | 4:23 AM ET

@MarioSuperSmash 
probably has bigger than drake hawg too. Big daddy MEAT MISSILE 
SANGRES
SANGRES
  • Predictions:  137  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  325
  • Post Score: 64

03.04.2024 | 5:43 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 640 Points   |   Tied for 2261st

Waiter! Waiter! More prediction comments please!🍽️🍽️

"Every animal has a different bite" - Benjamin Esparza

Diebartdie26
Diebartdie26
  • Predictions:  193  |  65.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 0

03.04.2024 | 6:59 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 4727th

@CrimsonChinGuru 
uummmm last time I checked a leg was a BODY part
Honori55
Honori55
  • Predictions:  13  |  53.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 0

03.04.2024 | 7:34 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 6107th

Poirier vs. Saint-Denis
Dustin Poirier, DEC
what a absolute war it's coming up 😑👌

BANJOSANDWITCH
BANJOSANDWITCH
  • Predictions:  3,878  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  45
  • Post Score: -100

03.04.2024 | 7:45 AM ET

JOIN THE GOATS

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 690 Points   |   Tied for 1312th

"never had a silver medal it has always been beskar or nothing GOAT STATUS ACTIVE"

TARTARA
TARTARA
  • Predictions:  53,954  |  69.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,186
  • Post Score: 65

03.04.2024 | 8:04 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 5352nd

There is no reason to promote your channel, especially in a public game !

https://www.tapology.com/fantasy/75193

https://www.tapology.com/fantasy/75199

"KURZHAAR - Tomorrow Never Comes Until It's Too Late"

DevinM34
DevinM34
  • Predictions:  414  |  66.2%
  • Forum Posts:  868
  • Post Score: 160

03.04.2024 | 8:32 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 655 Points   |   Tied for 2023rd

Blaydes vs. Almeida
Curtis Blaydes, TKO, R2
This one is tough to call. Both of these guys have some of the best wrestling/grappling in the division. I'm pretty much taking Curtis here because of the size difference. I know Almeida has taken down and dominated big guys in the past, but none of them had the wrestling chops that Blaydes does. Taking Curtis by ground and pound finish, but I'm not confident in that pick. We're going to learn a lot about Almeida in this fight.

Cerminara vs. Barber
Maycee Barber, DEC
Barber looks like she took that leap in her last fight. I think she's starting to hit her stride and is ready to make a run towards a title shot. Katlyn is a tough vet, but I think Barber guts it out here and keeps the momentum going.

Gamrot vs. dos Anjos
Mateusz Gamrot, DEC
Pretty easy fight to pick here. We've seen a prime RDA struggle with pressure wrestlers in the past. Here we have a 39 year old RDA going against one of the best wrestlers in the division. Gamrot dominates in this one

Munhoz vs. Phillips
Kyler Phillips, DEC
Both of those guys use a lot of movement in the cage and are tough to hit. Munhoz is a tough vet, but at 37 he's not getting any younger. Phillips is a legit prospect who has loads of potential and is just now hitting his prime. Give me the younger guy in a close technical battle.

Pereira vs. Oleksiejczuk
Michel Pereira, DEC
This should be a fun one. Oleksiejczuk loves to march forward and throw everything at you. Pereira's style is tailor made for that and he should be able to use his freak athleticism to skate around the outside and point his way to a victory. I think Pereira gets it done here and continues his climb at 185.

* Edited at 03.04.2024, 9:27 AM ET *

"My balls was hot"

Baiteke Fay
Baiteke Fay
  • Predictions:  3  |  100.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: -400

03.04.2024 | 9:02 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 3 of 3 Winners, 0 Perfect, 150 Points   |   Tied for 7092nd

O'Malley vs. Vera II
Sean O'Malley
win by TKO

Poirier vs. Saint-Denis
Dustin Poirier
win by tko

Yan vs. Song
Petr Yan
win by decision

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,058  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,991
  • Post Score: 138

03.04.2024 | 9:50 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 4018th

Phillips vs. Munhoz is going to be really interesting. Whoever get's their kicking game going first is taking that one. If Munhoz is able to land some good kicks early, he could be live here. Kyler's style relies on so much dynamic movement and his kicks are a big part of his offense as well. Kyler will have a nice reach advantage (he almost always does; arms are crazy long) and he can always go to the wrestling to mix it up if need be. One thing I will say about Phillips though is that while he shoots really good takedowns, he's not the best at holding guys down. 

As I'm looking into Munhoz, I'm realizing he absorbed an unusually high number of strikes from Vera for a 3 round fight. As a matter a fact, it was far and away the most significant strikes Vera landed in 15 minutes in his entire UFC career. He nearly landed the same amount of strikes on Munhoz (141) as he did on Font (159), with the latter being a 5 round fight. I highlight this because Chito is obviously now a title challenger, deserved or not, and despite two judges saying Vera won every round, a majority of the media scored the fight for Munhoz. 

Phillips without question skilled enough to win here but something about Munhoz being a bigger dog (+205) than he was against Vera (+155) just isn't sitting right with me. 
Pflynn8
Pflynn8
  • Predictions:  121  |  52.1%
  • Forum Posts:  54
  • Post Score: 170

03.04.2024 | 10:09 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 600 Points   |   Tied for 3176th

Honestly surprised to see so many people picking Page. Holland should win unless he fights stupid
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,128  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

03.04.2024 | 10:12 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 2870th

I also think Holland win but Page may push him againts the face for 3 round and win.

"Never go down without a fight"

Ledecompte
Ledecompte
  • Predictions:  746  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  28
  • Post Score: 57

03.04.2024 | 10:13 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 824th

O'Malley vs. Vera II
Sean O'Malley, TKO, R2
OMalley by counter Left

Poirier vs. Saint-Denis
Benoit Saint-Denis, TKO, R2
St-Denis by headkick Gathje style, Porier retires.

Holland vs. Page
Michael Page, TKO, R3
Please MVP knock him out then throw a pokeball or sum **** would make my year

Burns vs. Maddalena
Gilbert Burns, SUB, R2
Durinho by fraud check

Yan vs. Song
Petr Yan, DEC
Please Yan im begging here dont lose again

Blaydes vs. Almeida
Jailton Almeida, SUB, R1
Almeida even though hes half the size

Cerminara vs. Barber
Maycee Barber, DEC
Barber by 10 year age gap, should make a good break to go cook dinner.

Gamrot vs. dos Anjos
Mateusz Gamrot, DEC
RDA good enough to make it a dec

Munhoz vs. Phillips
Kyler Phillips, DEC
Going with the flow on this one

Pereira vs. Oleksiejczuk
Michel Pereira, TKO, R2
periera by some ********

Lins vs. Cutelaba
Philipe Lins, TKO, R2
Lins by Cutelaba being dog****

Despaigne vs. Parisian
Robelis Despaigne, TKO, R1
RIP Parisian, his grandchildren gonna feel that headkick

Vergara vs. Almabaev
Asu Almabaev, SUB, R1
Eastern European with the weird name by RNC, Rd 1

Wood vs. Moroz
Joanne Wood, DEC
Cheeky nap before we get started dont mind if I do.

"Better to burn out than to fade away"

el_guapo
el_guapo
  • Predictions:  198  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  557
  • Post Score: 106

03.04.2024 | 10:14 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 665 Points   |   Tied for 1767th

@Pflynn8 
which is pretty often to be fair.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Alexander Volkanovski"

VicStrk
VicStrk
  • Predictions:  3,073  |  69.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,435
  • Post Score: 221

03.04.2024 | 10:24 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 7 Perfect, 600 Points   |   Tied for 3327th

Can anyone explain to me the Robelis Despaigne hype ? Cuz I just don't get it. The dude is 35 years old and has four Pro fights against bad competition and no amateur career.

I understand that he has a lot of power (only round 1 KOs so far) and he will most likely kill Josh Parisian but does he have a future in the heavyweight division? My guess would be he doesn't. 

The division is very shallow tho, so if the UFC likes him and give good match-ups he could be ranked I guess.

"This is a rat race...but I’m not a rat. I’m a f*ckin’ turtle, ninja turtle. So which one is your favorite? I like Michelangelo....next question - Tony Ferguson"

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,058  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,991
  • Post Score: 138

03.04.2024 | 10:36 AM ET

@Vic

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 4018th

I think when you word it that way and say "he's only got 4 pro fights and no amateur career" you're kind of under-selling the fact that he's a lifelong martial artist who's won Olympic medals. He's been seriously grappling for close to 5 years now. Parisian actually is a very logical first test because one of then only things this guy needs to figure out is how to clinch fight and not get held against the cage. As long as he can figure out how to consistently keep space between him and his opponents, he's going to rack up wins easily. This guy touches people and they just crumble. 

He's going to coast into the rankings at heavyweight on athleticism alone. His age is kind of irrelevant. He clearly does not have the genes of a normal 35 year old athlete. 

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,017  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,111
  • Post Score: 88

03.04.2024 | 10:42 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 630 Points   |   Tied for 2539th

@vckstrk he’s built like an nba player, moves like a flyweight, hits like a Mack truck. Hes also a Cuban Olympian which means he’s built differently from your normal human 

@foppa not a grappler, his background is taekwando 

* Edited at 03.04.2024, 10:50 AM ET *

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

Page 22

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Thinks Justin Gaethje Is ‘One Win Away’ From Getting A Title Shot Despite UFC 300 KO Loss
  • Middle Easy : Manel Kape Says He’s ‘Undefeated In The Streets’, Could Beat Israel Adesanya In A Street Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m looking to upset the world’: Valenzuela geared up to pull off win over Pitbull
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m looking to upset the world’: Jose Valenzuela geared up to pull off upset over Isaac ‘Pitbull’ Cruz
  • MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria vows to surpass Cristiano Ronaldo as highest-paid athlete in 2025: 'I have no doubt, really'
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Aljamain Sterling, Beneil Dariush, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Steve Erceg expects ‘bottles to be thrown at me’ following win over Alexandre Pantoja at UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : Ali Alqaisi vs. Samuel Bark featherweight title fight headlines UAE Warriors 50
  • Middle Easy : Alexandre Pantoja Tells Sean Strickland To ‘Shut Your Mouth’, Claims He ‘Smashed’ Sean O’Malley In Sparring And ‘Suga’ Has The Video
  • MMA Mania : Canelo Vs Munguia Fight Card, PPV Start Time
  • MMA Junkie : David Feldman: Conor McGregor a BKFC minority owner, 'but he has a lot of say in this company'
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker ‘Very Confident’ His Grappling Skills Are Better Than Khamzat Chimaev, Reveals Gameplan For ‘Borz’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘The world is waiting for it’: Usyk’s promoter hopes Fury takes precautions for May 18 showdown
  • MMA Mania : Izzy Beware! Manel Kape ‘Undefeated In The Streets’
  • UFC.com : Significant Stats | UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown rips boxing promoters refusing to follow UFC’s lead: ‘They’re still stuck in the 1990s’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 roundtable: Is Alexandre Pantoja ripe for an upset?
  • MMA Mania : Petrino Vs. Smith Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 pre-event facts: Jose Aldo still holds records after retirement layoff
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja ‘Smashed’ O’Malley In Old Training Footage