Preliminary Card | Lightweight · 155 lbs | MMA
Paul Sass defeats Michael Johnson via Submission at 3:00 of Round 1
|11-0-0||Pro Record At Fight||9-5-0|
|Climbed to 12-0||Record After Fight||Fell to 9-6|
|+150 (Slight Underdog)||Betting Odds||-180 (Slight Favorite)|
|United Kingdom||Nationality||United States|
|Liverpool, England||Fighting out of||Boca Raton, Florida|
|23 years, 1 month, 3 weeks, 6 days||Age at Fight||25 years, 3 months, 3 weeks, 6 days|
|155.0 lbs (70.3 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||156.0 lbs (70.8 kgs)|
|6'0" (184cm)||Height||5'10" (178cm)|
|73.0" (185cm)||Reach||73.5" (187cm)|
|Next Generation UK||Gym||Hard Knocks 365|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC on Versus 6: Cruz vs. Johnson
- Date: Saturday 10.01.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
- Venue: Verizon Center
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Washington, D.C., United States
- Bout Billing: Preliminary Card (fight 5 of 10)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 155 lbs (70.3 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Prelims
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- Sass Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
- Johnson Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
Sass vs. Johnson Wiki Update Wiki
The fifth bout of UFC on Versus 6 featured Paul "Sassangle" Sass taking on Michael "The Menace" Johnson in a lightweight contest. Sass came into the fight undefeated at 11-0 with one of those victories in the UFC. Johnson, an Ultimate Fighter runner-up, entered the fight at 9-5 overall and 1-1 in the UFC.
Sass came out with a flying knee and tried to pull guard as soon as he got his hands on Johnson. Johnson saw it coming and was able to defend. Johnson landed a pair of good knees and was able to avoid all of Sass's takedown attempts with ease through the first 90 seconds. Sass feinted and threw a spinning elbow. Sass was finally able to get his hands around Johnson just enough to pull guard. Johnson almost slipped away but Sass grabbed his ankle and immediately attacked for a heel hook. After a minute-long struggle, Johnson had his knee seemingly injured by the submission and submitted.
Speaking with Joe Rogan in the post-fight interview, Sass commented, "I was trying to go for a triangle, but any submission I'll go for... It was hard to tap him... I didn't hear nothing [his knee popping] but I didn't want to let go."
Sass vs. Johnson Fight Predictions
Sass vs. Johnson Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- Few drinks in the walkabout with Gary then off on a mad one I think!
- 5 days, 2 hours, and 1 minute
- Lil surprise birthday meal for @MenaceStringer at bem brazil :)
- 4 days, 23 hours, and 32 minutes
- Dominos and COD n FIFA tonight with the lads and a few cheeky corona as well!
- 3 days, 21 hours, and 5 minutes
- finally home now thank god :) got bags back aswell. thanks for a good weekend @ufc and @kaobon_gaffa for everything!
- 2 days, 15 hours, and 6 minutes
- Thank you @microTechCEO for the great sponsorship I really appreciate it.I will be back stronger. You guys are awesome!!!
- 1 day, 21 hours, and 19 minutes
- what a night last night flight got canceled missed connection flight air line lost are bags now stuck in philadephia
- 1 day, 20 hours, and 58 minutes
- Like to thank all my coaches for there help @Kaobon_gaffa @UltimateSandC @Scanlock @MGWRESTLING lot of work went in for that fight!!!
- 21 hours and 58 minutes
- Would just like to thank all my team @Kaobon for all there help leading me up to this fight really appreciate it!
- 17 hours and 42 minutes
- Thanks very much for all the support everyone really appreciate it read every tweet from everyone and can't believe I trended world wide
- 8 hours and 6 minutes
- Thx 4 the support everyone. Sass is tough very disappointed but will come back stronger @ufc I promise that!! Great knockout @ANTHONYRUMBLE
- 7 hours and 6 minutes
- Thank you and big about out to @RyanLoco for the great video and pics of fight week. Ur awesome man!!!! No one better I'n the biz!!!
- 3 hours and 17 minutes
- @SugaRashadEvans lol thank you my son. I have no choice but to bow to that one. good one
- 3 hours and 25 minutes
- Even @Nandos_Official in Washington thrigging great Nothing better to fill up on after a weigh inn http://t.co/JOBjNDZ8
- 17 hours and 53 minutes
- Like to thank my sponcers for my @ufc fight tomorrow @PhDNutritionUK @HAYABUSA_MMA and #lexaniwheels
- 20 hours and 51 minutes
- Just took all my @PhDNutritionUK supplements for after my weigh ins feeling good :)
- 20 hours and 57 minutes
- @Young__Assassin right on playa!! Gonna smash this cat and keep it rolling!!! How u feeling??
- 1 day, 5 hours, and 16 minutes
- Walking to meet the peeps @RyanLoco @RodneyASM on the countries smallest sidewalk http://t.co/TVClsMyM
- 2 days, 7 hours, and 40 minutes
- Up early to go climb the Lincoln memorial and to meet @RodneyASM & @RyanLoco thx for waiting up! Black man can't get no justice
- 2 days, 8 hours, and 18 minutes
- Weathers hot lad roasting. Yea stayed away from pancakes n sweets got about 12 pound or so to go do that tomorrow
- 2 days, 20 hours, and 40 minutes
- Killer elite dope ass movie I think of myself as a "MFWIC" @RyanLoco now onto a workout then some call of duty #Blackzilians
- 2 days, 20 hours, and 46 minutes
- “@tstull_tweets: per @FollowTheMenace 's request, Washington D.C. has changed its name to "Washington M.J." for the weekend.” u r damn good!
- 2 days, 22 hours, and 39 minutes
- Training tapout at it's best @RodneyASM is the best guy to train to tapout with. He's ready to train @ufc @RyanLoco ? http://t.co/b7cELPOx
- 3 days, 1 hour, and 27 minutes
- Had some sticky fingers @ufc missing these lol!! @RodneyASM had to carry them since he's international known bag man!!! http://t.co/DXIqWm4b
- 3 days, 1 hour, and 35 minutes
- “@ESKonMMA: Episode 8 of The Next Big Thing Podcast with Michael Johnson (@FollowTheMenace) on @HeavyMMA. http://t.co/8TxU2MhQ” great time!!
- 3 days, 2 hours, and 50 minutes
- Hanging with bag carrier grape APE @RodneyASM tapout at it's finest oh yea & can't forget the homie @RyanLoco #Blackzilians
- 3 days, 5 hours, and 19 minutes
- “@RyanLoco: YOU DON'T KNOW HIM @FollowTheMenace @UFC http://t.co/yM3DmsHN” this guy trains @ufc with @RodneyASM
- 3 days, 20 hours, and 54 minutes
- “@RyanLoco: Look at @FollowTheMenace getting fired up to fight for the @UFC...by sniffing strangers http://t.co/HtCejVP8” she started it!!!
- 4 days and 26 minutes
- “@USMAN84kg: LMBO... @FollowTheMenace "we got a bunch of killers in this gym" (in my MJ voice) lol... @Imperialathletics” helluva voice
- 4 days and 26 minutes
- Better get my ass to Washington DC fighting Saturday ;-) UFC versus 6
- 4 days, 10 hours, and 16 minutes
- @NEWBREED04 @ufc @vsmma will do bro. Congrats on the win the other week!
- 5 days, 6 hours, and 36 minutes
- About time it's FIGHT WEEK thank you!!!!! 5 days till @ufc @VsMMA 6 goes down. #Blackzilians I'n the nations capital. OH YEA!!!!
- 5 days, 6 hours, and 52 minutes
- Wow!!!! @ufc what a horrible display of cardio!!! Ben was sleep walking and mark couldn't finish him
- 6 days, 17 hours, and 39 minutes
- Great Saturday morning workout!!! So ready for @VsMMA 6 @ufc card. One week away baby!!!!!
- 1 week, 2 hours, and 39 minutes