Preliminary Card | Lightweight · 155 lbs | MMA
TJ Grant defeats Shane Roller via Submission at 2:12 of Round 3
|16-5-0||Pro Record At Fight||10-4-0|
|Climbed to 17-5||Record After Fight||Fell to 10-5|
|+155 (Slight Underdog)||Betting Odds||-185 (Slight Favorite)|
|Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia||Fighting out of||Tulsa, Oklahoma|
|27 years, 7 months, 5 days||Age at Fight||32 years, 2 months, 3 days|
|155.0 lbs (70.3 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||156.0 lbs (70.8 kgs)|
|5'11" (180cm)||Height||5'10" (178cm)|
|72.5" (184cm)||Reach||72.0" (183cm)|
|Fit Plus MMA||Gym||Team Takedown|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC on Versus 6: Cruz vs. Johnson
- Date: Saturday 10.01.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
- Referee: Fernando Yamasaki
- Venue: Verizon Center
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Washington, D.C., United States
- Bout Billing: Preliminary Card (fight 3 of 10)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 155 lbs (70.3 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Prelims
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- Roller Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
- Grant Total Disclosed Pay: None Disclosed
Roller vs. Grant Wiki Update Wiki
The third fight of UFC on Versus 6 featured TJ Grant taking on Shane Roller in a lightweight contest. The bout was Grant's first at lightweight, and he entered the match at 3-3 in the UFC and 16-5 overall. Roller came into the fight at 1-1 in the UFC, but at 7-3 with Zuffa-owned WEC bouts included, and an overall MMA record of 10-4.
Grant landed a takedown and had side control early in the fight. Roller executed a great sweep to top position and began working a one-arm choke from half-guard. Grant scrambled out after some good submission defense and was on top in Roller's guard. Grant passed to side mount and finished out the round on top with Roller tied up eating punches.
Grant threw a high kick while Roller came out looking for an uppercut in round two. Roller at a knee as he shot in for a takedown but was able to complete the move. Grant immediately wall-walked up to standing but ate an uppercut. Both fighters swung for the fences, Grant shot in for a takedown, and Roller tied on a guillotine choke on the way down. The submission looked dangerous but Grant worked his way out and utilized slick grappling to counter Roller's own impressive technique on the ground. Roller made his way to top position and attacked twice for a guillotine. Grant showed brilliant technique in taking Roller's back in the final seconds, transitioning to an armbar, and looked to have Roller in deep trouble when the horn sounded. An excellent grappling battle.
A minute into the fourth round, Grant connected with a solid right hand. Roller responded with an elbow and a shot in for a takedown. Grant defended with good defense against the fence. Grant dropped down for a guillotine, Roller barely snuck his head out, but immediately was caught in an armbar. Roller had his hands connected defending, but referee Fernando Yamasaki called off the fight, perhaps in error.
The bout was ended at 2:12 of the second round, officially due to verbal tapout from an armbar, with TJ Grant the winner. Speaking to Joe Rogan in the post-fight interview, Grant commented, "He was in there and he yelled out ahhhh in pain, and we're told we can't do that before the fight otherwise they'll stop it... I knew I had a short window there [for the armbar]... honestly it was the best cut I've ever had, I was eating clean and I only had to cut a pound the day of the weigh-ins."
Rogan also spoke with Roller, who commented, "I don't know... we ended up in the armbar, I was trying to defend it... I moaned but I didn't yell... I don't know."
Roller vs. Grant Fight Predictions
Roller vs. Grant Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- Feeling great, big win and a belly full of food! only thing that will top this is the Jets vs Ravens live tomorrow night in Baltimore! #UFC
- 10 hours
- Just told that the first fight will b bt 6:00 and 6:30 ET. Just giving u all the update.
- 1 hour
- Here's a pic of my fight shorts for tonight's fight. Thx for the sponsors @EckoMMA @Fightribbon @centurymma http://t.co/s8c8YG0m
- 2 hours
- Gonna try to do something sweet to get my fight aired on VS tonight. You can always check it out live on Facebook fights startn@ 4:40CT @UFC
- 4 hours
- Hour and a half til weigh-ins, just chillin bout to get all the commission stuff done. Down to weight, feeling good.
- 1 day
- Finished up a lil workout earlier w @chopperfeist & @steventhewarman Weight is good & feeling strong!
- 2 days
- Went touring around DC w @chopperfeist checking out all the monuments, etc. Wasn't too excited bout it, but it turned out to b sweet! @ufc
- 3 days
- U guys follow my good friend @chopperfeist he's new to twitter 2nite. He's my main trainin partner, undefeated pro fighter, & my corner man!
- 4 days
- RT Tickets on sale NOW - Sharif "The Lion" Bogere vs Francisco Contreras Oct 7th at Texas Station Casino - IN VEGAS
- 4 days
- Just landed in DC. Was on the same flight as @thugjitsumaster He had a big green purse for his carry-on.
- 4 days
- At the airport headed to DC. for @UFC on VS6. Feeling great! Ready to get back in the cage.
- 4 days
- just finished last training session before I head off to washington tomorrow! Feeling great after some #POSTRX thanks to @RIVALUS !!
- 5 days