Main Card | Lightweight · 155 lbs | MMA
Matt Wiman defeats Mac Danzig via 3 Round Decision
|13-6-0||Pro Record At Fight||20-8-1|
|Climbed to 14-6||Record After Fight||Fell to 20-9|
|-225 (Moderate Favorite)||Betting Odds||+185 (Slight Underdog)|
|United States||Nationality||United States|
|Portland, Oregon||Fighting out of||Los Angeles, California|
|28 years, 1 week, 5 days||Age at Fight||31 years, 8 months, 4 weeks, 1 day|
|156.0 lbs (70.8 kgs)||Weigh-In Result||155.0 lbs (70.3 kgs)|
|5'10" (178cm)||Height||5'8" (173cm)|
|67.0" (170cm)||Reach||70.0" (178cm)|
|Tulsa Top Team||Gym||Danzig MMA|
- Bout Information
- Event: UFC on Versus 6: Cruz vs. Johnson
- Date: Saturday 10.01.2011 at 09:00 PM ET
- Referee: Fernando Yamasaki
- Venue: Verizon Center
- Enclosure: Octagon
- Location: Washington, D.C., United States
- Bout Billing: Main Card (fight 7 of 10)
- Pro/Am: Professional
- Weight: 155 lbs (70.3 kg)
- TV Commentary: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
- Broadcast: Aired Live on Main Card
- Post-Fight Interviewer: Joe Rogan
- Danzig Total Disclosed Pay: $65,000
- Wiman Total Disclosed Pay: $65,000
Danzig vs. Wiman II Wiki Update Wiki
The seventh bout of UFC on Versus 6 and the first to air on the Versus-televised main card featured Mac Danzig seeking revenge against Matt Wiman in a revenge of their 2010 matchup. In that bout, Wiman won via controversial submission victory early in the first round, with Danzig apparently not tapping out. The fighters were intended to rematch just a few months after that bout at UFC Fight Night 22, but it was delayed due to a Danzig injury. Danzig came into the rematch with a 20-8-1 overall record and was 4-4 in the UFC. Wiman was 13-6 overall in MMA and 7-4 in the UFC.
The fighters clinched in the center of the cage until Danzig forced the action against the fence. Wiman landed a takedown and worked from within Danzig's guard against the fence. Danzig was crafty in looking for a standing guillotine and the fighters broke free after a burst of striking in close. Wiman landed a solid elbow in the clinch, tied up into the clinch again in the center of the cage, and kept attacking with elbows inside. Danzig landed a series of nice punches to the body but it was Wiman who did more damage with a knee fired in return to Danzig's midsection. Blood began to trickle from Danzig's nose.
Wiman opened the second round with a right hand to the body and a low kick. A well-timed takedown from Danzig but after a few moments working in Wiman's guard found himself in trouble from a triangle choke. Wiman transitioned to an armbar and had Danzig in serious danger. Danzig escaped, defended a kimura, and lost top position when Wiman backed his way up the fence to his feet. Wiman pressed the action, dove forward for a missed takedown, and ate a swift punch from Danzig.
Neither fighter held a clear advantage in the fight heading into the third and final round. Elbows from Wiman found their mark in the clinch and showed their effects on Danzig's face. With both fighters getting tired and yet still throwing bombs back and forth in the clinch, the bout appeared to have fight-of-the-night potential. Danzig took Wiman's back standing, slid off, and was on the bottom with Wiman in half-guard. Wiman unloaded with some mean ground and pound, leaving grotesque swelling on Danzig's face. Danzig fought his way up with 30 seconds remaining. Wiman shot in for a final takedown, exposed his neck in the struggle and was caught in a guillotine in the final couple of seconds as the horn sounded to end the intense matchup.
The judges scored the bout 29-28 unanimously in favor of "Handsome" Matt Wiman. Speaking with Joe Rogan in the post-fight interview, Wiman commented, "The judges didn't see it the same way before [in prior decisions], and I'm glad I got it this time... You've got to [be concerned about decisions] based on what you've seen before, you never know."
Danzig vs. Wiman II Fight Predictions
Danzig vs. Wiman II Fighter Tweets
If fighters from this bout were talking on Twitter before or after the fight, this is where you can find it. Below are all the Tweets we've recorded near the date of the bout.
- Anyone want to #OccupyWholeFoods with me?.. (namely, the frozen dessert section?)
- 4 days and 5 minutes
- There is SO much corporate & political propaganda woven into all the recent protests covered by the media... #NothingNewReally
- 3 days, 21 hours, and 12 minutes
- After 3 days of post-fight binge eating, I think a water fast is in order ... :-/
- 3 days, 7 hours, and 27 minutes
- Last but not least: huge thanks to my boxing coach, @mastermitter Gil Martinez. went above and beyond as always. A true friend.
- 3 days, 7 hours, and 4 minutes
- Big thanks to my sponsors from this fight. Check them out: @westcoastauth @jacoclothing SE solutions Volant.com
- 3 days, 7 hours, and 1 minute
- Looking forward, one more big thank-you to everyone showing me love... I've read all the messages and I really appreciate each of them.
- 3 days, 7 hours, and 34 seconds
- spending time with my little girl is the best antidepressant in the world. thank god I have her...
- 3 days, 6 hours, and 46 minutes
- Just landed in LA... Very tired & can't wait to see my little girl... Thanks again for all the support. You guys are amazing fans. :)
- 22 hours and 9 minutes
- RT @ufc: Check out these guys, hanging out fotn style @macdanzigmma http://t.co/oHxkCDtR
- 22 hours and 7 minutes
- My homie @Jusallahmma came to see me at the hospital. #realfriend http://t.co/CYqQm6tf
- 9 hours and 42 minutes
- @kennyflorian thanks Kenny!... Much appreciated... Could have fought smarter, but that's the way it goes..
- 8 hours and 11 minutes
- RT @_NealeDWalsch: Your life is out in front of you. What you've done is what you've done. You can't change that. But you can move forward.
- 8 hours and 5 minutes
- ER waiting rooms are the WORST!... Thanks again to all of u for the overwhelming support!... It's getting me thru the night. I will be back!
- 8 hours and 5 minutes
- Thank You: each and every person who has sent me positive messages here on twitter... I truly appreciate the support from all of you :)
- 6 hours and 30 minutes
- RT @_NealeDWalsch: There is only one purpose for all of life, and that is for you to experience the fullest glory of Who You Really Are.
- 5 hours and 5 minutes
- Thank you all for the many positive messages... I really appreciate it!
- 5 hours and 5 minutes
- Less than 2 hrs till I step on scale... Weight cut was smooth... I feel good! Let's do it!
- 1 day, 1 hour, and 43 minutes
- Alright tweeters... I'm gonna call it a night.. No food or water for me for the next 16 hours... I'll see you guys at weigh-ins :)
- 1 day, 15 hours, and 16 minutes
- RT @standemup: StandThemUp Exclusive: UFC Lightweight Mac Danzig http://t.co/vq7mquH2 @macdanzigmma @ufc #mma
- 1 day, 23 hours, and 27 minutes
- RT @KarynBryant: Hear MacDanzig talk about fighting Matt Wiman at #UFCLive6, the bloody Jim Miller fight+winning TUF http://t.co/ZnOcBdVJ
- 2 days, 4 hours, and 26 minutes
- Alright everyone... Time for bed... Tomorrow is the last day before weigh-ins... Have a video interview early. Have a good night :)
- 2 days, 15 hours, and 33 minutes
- RT @tgerbasi: Perfect Timing - Mac Danzig Finally Figures It Out - http://t.co/QBbyP8vv @UFC #UFC #MMA @macdanzigmma
- 2 days, 23 hours, and 45 minutes
- To Reduce Bear-People Conflict...Remove the People http://t.co/YMxXbWBP
- 3 days and 18 minutes
- Riding from the airport with @AMAFightClub and @spaniardmma good company.
- 3 days, 21 hours, and 59 minutes
- "@GreenzTweet: Can you recommend any books/sources on raw/vegan diet for athletes? " The Thrive Diet by @Brendan_Brazier
- 4 days, 1 hour, and 22 minutes
- I always leave packing till the last-minute... Up too late for this early AM flight... Ready for some sleep in the way to DC. :)
- 4 days, 6 hours, and 28 minutes
- RT @ufc: New @MMAinterviews feature on @macdanzigmma on his rematch vs. Wiman this weekend http://t.co/ffYlFWY8
- 4 days, 12 hours, and 15 minutes
- Awesome. Everyone should check out this clothing line- @soulxattire RT @SoulXAttire: @macdanzigmma How did your hoodie fit?
- 4 days, 12 hours, and 15 minutes
- RT @Jusallahmma: Jedi Mind Tricks Elaborate On Stoupe Departure, Beats Were Submitted http://t.co/xiR8KnVV via @hiphopdx
- 4 days, 12 hours, and 19 minutes
- RT @ratjew: @joerogan get @macdanzigmma on the podcast already!!
- 6 days, 15 hours, and 43 minutes
- Day off today!No eating cuz of the weight-cut, but i spent some time hiking with my girl. Nice change of pace http://t.co/5j7RHPYL
- 6 days, 21 hours, and 29 minutes
- This training camp is pretty much in the books!. Now, it's off to LA to spend some time with my little girl b4 I head out to DC 4 the fight
- 1 week, 1 day, 2 hours, and 22 minutes
- @GabeRuediger go during the off months (oct-April)... Otherwise you'll end up in a very beautiful packed tourist trap.
- 1 week, 1 day, 22 hours, and 26 minutes
- Awesome. RT @MindyR: This is a pretty typical day at my job - and I promise I'm better at counting in real life: http://t.co/TFrYkQhv
- 1 week, 1 day, 22 hours, and 36 minutes