Topic: Top Featherweights - 145 lbs.

Early 2011 FW Rankings: What Say You?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

01.26.2011 | 12:09 PM ET

I am having a really tough time justifying my current rankings list, even to myself. Mark Hominick has looked great lately, but he still has a semi-recent loss to Josh Grispi. Grispi, for his part, just lost to the previously unranked Dustin Poirier. Additionally, the previously low-ranked Diego Nunes took out Mike Brown, who I had at No. 3, and then Brown went ahead and lost to Rani Yahya. To top it off, Manny Gamburyan hasn't been active at all in the division, and his only impressive win is over Brown, who is obviously slipping lately. Overall, I'm starting to believe guys like Hioki and Mendes are true top three featherweights, but they haven't proved it to me yet.

Thoughts?

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Responses Page 2

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.02.2011 | 12:00 PM ET

I agree with Gregory, I have to rely on the objective decision of the judges for the results. When we start interjecting personal opinions on the results we run too great a risk for a more subjective situation. Then it turns into excuses more than anything. There are so many decisions people disagree with and more often than not it's because the fighter they favor lost. Fighters get finished and people make excuses as well. GSP gets knocked out by Serra but we shouldn't rank Serra because he's Serra and the fight was a fluke. Werdum beats Fedor but in some peoples mind Fedor is still P4P ranked higher than Werdum though they fight in the same weight-class. 

Always go with results of the fights rather than your opinion of the result. Only take into account what happens in MMA not a person's ability in another sport. If a fight is a fluke it will work itself out in the long run. Rankings are meant to be fluid, they should be changing all the time. Upsets throw off the thinking of people who are use to things a certain way. Just because it's an upset doesn't make it a fluke and 1 top 10 win can be worth more than a dozen record padding cans. The FW division was tough because the perceived top FWs were spread out among a bunch of different Orgs. As the UFC brings more and more fighters we will get a clearer idea of where people belong.  

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

LynxGuy
LynxGuy
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 138

02.02.2011 | 12:05 PM ET

Featherweight rankings are kind of hard to determine right now.  Personally I haven't see enough featherweight fights to have a proper ranking so my top 10 is pretty biased and uneducated.  I know I should have Dustin Poirier somewhere in there instead of Cub Swanson.  Grispi shouldn't be that high up after his last fight either, though he's still top 10 material.

"Don't be scared, homie." - Nick Diaz

thabestevah
thabestevah
  • Predictions:  199  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  55
  • Post Score: 27

02.02.2011 | 12:41 PM ET

@skelliher trust me, I am quite aware of Grispi's win over Hominick. You can't base your entire ranking system around one fight though. 
The fact is that when you beat one guy in a new weight class and haven't done anything in another weight class to prove your a top fighter there is no way you spring board to the top 5 by beating a guy who is 22 years old and had no time to prepare for you. Grispi still in the bottom half of the top ten would make sense, Poirier top 5 doesn't. I have Grispi at 12 right now and think Poirier is ranked only one spot ahead of him despite beating him. It was a fight that had odd circumstances and moving a guy from unranked having never fought in the division to top 5 off of one fight against an ill prepared 22 year old just doesn't make sense to me.
 I still think the best way to determine who is better is actual fights between guys, so Poirer does move just ahead of Grispi, but Grispi takes a nice fall from around the 5 or so spot he had to about the 10-15 spot and Poirier stays in that same area with him. 

"It's not about whether you win or lose... Well, unless your the guy who lost."

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Mania : Hunt Files To Unseal All Docs In UFC-Lesnar Lawsuit
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall signed with PFL for Claressa Shields rematch: 'The goal is to make a build-up'
  • MMA Mania : NAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopez?!
  • MMA Junkie : Raw video: Max Holloway's BMF-ness, Conor's first belt and more UFC legendary moments – without commentary
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Amanda Ribas details recent stalker encounter: ‘He was telling people I was his wife’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video
  • Jits Magazine : ADCC Announces Date And Location For Amateur World Championship 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Haney Requests Garcia Rematch Because ‘Weight Played A Role’ In Defeat
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill Brutally Honest On UFC 300 Regrets, Who Should Be Next For Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Return Of The Bare Knuckle King
  • MMA Mania : PFL MENA Inaugural Event Set For May 10 In Riyadh
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive – Jamahal Hill Talks ‘Crazy’ BMF Title Clash at UFC 300, Comments on Ryan Garcia’s Epic Troll Job
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Michael Chandler not to underestimate Conor McGregor: 'Can't be drunk on your own ego'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Prograis says karma caught up to Haney in Garcia fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘What goes around comes around’: Regis Prograis says karma caught up to Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Stop Running!’ Vieira Claims Harrison Declined UFC 303 Fight Offer
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Jamahal Hill On Fighting Khalil Rountree So Soon At UFC 303, Rejecting A Main Event
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva explains how fast UFC rise was actually deceivingly long