Topic: UFC 285

UFC 285: Jones vs. Gane

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,035
  • Post Score: 47

10.24.2022 | 11:38 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 285
  • Saturday 03.04.2023 at 05:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $12,150,000
  • Attendance: 19,471
  • MMA Bouts: 14
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Jon Jones   defeats   Ciryl Gane   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   2:04 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Alexa Grasso   defeats   Valentina Shevchenko   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:34 Round 4 of 5, 19:34 Total Bout Page
Shavkat Rakhmonov   defeats   Geoff Neal   via Submission, Standing Rear Naked Choke   4:17 Round 3 of 3, 14:17 Total Bout Page
Mateusz Gamrot   defeats   Jalin Turner   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Bo Nickal   defeats   Jamie Pickett   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   2:54 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Cody Garbrandt   defeats   Trevin Jones   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Dricus Du Plessis   defeats   Derek Brunson   via KO/TKO, Corner Stoppage   4:59 Round 2 of 3, 9:59 Total Bout Page
Amanda Ribas   defeats   Viviane Araujo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Marc-André Barriault   defeats   Julian Marquez   via KO/TKO, Punches (standing TKO)   4:12 Round 2 of 3, 9:12 Total Bout Page
Ian Machado Garry   defeats   Kenan Song   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:22 Round 3 of 3, 14:22 Total Bout Page
Cameron Saaiman   defeats   Mana Martinez   via Decision, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tabatha Ricci   defeats   Jessica Penne   via Submission, Armbar   2:14 Round 2 of 3, 7:14 Total Bout Page
Farid Basharat   defeats   Da'Mon Blackshear   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Loik Radzhabov   defeats   Esteban Ribovics   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 51

RichOsama
RichOsama
  • Predictions:  1,806  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,196
  • Post Score: 47

03.04.2023 | 9:20 AM ET

Gliese

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 695 Points   |   Tied for 1964th

Bo inside the distance , better money. 
mezzor
mezzor
  • Predictions:  552  |  57.8%
  • Forum Posts:  571
  • Post Score: -181

03.04.2023 | 9:21 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 630 Points   |   Tied for 3097th

Bo in the first round best money
This user is suspended from posting until 3 months, 3 days, 21 hours, and 3 minutes from now.
gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,399  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,414
  • Post Score: 129

03.04.2023 | 9:26 AM ET

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 1393rd

Turner v Gamrot was the toughest one for me. Tape study says Gamrot's grappling should be too much for Turner but I just have a feeling Turner will have levelled up some. I think he really is extremely talented and built for the sport. I've been waffling about this one since the start, it was the first fight I capped on this card.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

gliese58i
gliese58i

03.04.2023 | 9:27 AM ET

Also yeah Bo props I have no qualms with if you can find something good go for it. Actually should look into what the lines are on those myself, haven't done so.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

Noxx
Noxx
  • Predictions:  967  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,082
  • Post Score: 158

03.04.2023 | 9:36 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 630 Points   |   Tied for 3097th

gliese58i  I was just about to comment on that fight. Since I just rewatched some fights of Turner. Turner had a very similar opponent in Frevola and had some real good moments in that fight. He may have lost that one, but rocked Frevola several times. You can clearly see that his takedown defence has gotten better since that fight. He also uses a lot of uppercuts and knees to avoid being taken down, which you could see in his fights against Riddell and Mullarkey. That being said; he's rather clueless when he does get taken down. 

Turner definitely has a chance to win this fight. Though I only see him winning by KO

* Edited at 03.04.2023, 9:42 AM ET *

"Learning is a gift, even when pain is your teacher"

Paddymconald97
Paddymconald97
  • Predictions:  662  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 150

03.04.2023 | 9:51 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 660 Points   |   Tied for 2558th

Penne vs. Ricci
Tabatha Ricci, DEC
I’m

Calfoth
Calfoth
  • Predictions:  3,074  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 174

03.04.2023 | 9:53 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 670 Points   |   Tied for 2361st

FIGHT DAY GENTLEMEN 

"POUND FOR POUND, HEADSHOT, DEAD - Leon Edwards "

AndresMontana
AndresMontana
  • Predictions:  2,846  |  73.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,209
  • Post Score: -6

03.04.2023 | 10:12 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 780 Points   |   Tied for 609th

Jones vs. Gane
Ciryl Gane, DEC
The Goat who is not fighting since 2020. The goat who went to Decision vs Reyes ( a guy who only throws the left hand to see what happens, 0 cardio, 0 grappling, 0 composure..) .The Goat who went to the Split Decision vs One Leg Thiago Santos. The GOAT in HIS DIVISION. THE GOAT is facing a guy who even in Jones prime would be a hard challenge. But if 3 years ago Jones in his weight class cant be dominant as he need for this fight, good luck rooting for Jones. The ppl is too emotional with thks fight, the ppl thought than Jones Will not fight again, and now are dreaming about Jones chances. But this is the moment of Gane, and this Will be the first L of Jon Jones🇫🇷😎🔐

Shevchenko vs. Grasso
Valentina Shevchenko, TKO, R3
Master of Muay Thai, Taekwon-do, Boxing, Judo, Kickboxing vs a Boxer who fights in her backheels. Awesome. 💃💃💃🇰🇬🇰🇬🇰🇬🔐

Neal vs. Rakhmonov
Shavkat Rakhmonov, TKO, R3
Geoffrey is goin to move a lot, trying to counter being explosive and thats it. The constant pressure of Rakhmonov Will be the key in the 1st round. In the second round well see a Geoffrey more tired and Rakhmonov Will be able to take fight to the clinch and the grounf easier. In the 3rd round is where I see Shavkat finishing the fight. We didnt see the full potential of Rakhmonov yet, he has a huge pace and grappling wayyyy better than this bum, and in this round 1000% well have the finish of the NOMAD🇰🇿🐴🔐

Gamrot vs. Turner
Mateusz Gamrot, DEC
The most intriging fight of the card BY FAR. Would Gamrot set the takedowns better this time? Would Gamrot control the fight on the ground instead scrambling to the dead ? And Would be Turner aware enough to the distance and having the clinch and wrestling fundamentals to keep the fight standing?? Turner even not facing somebody like Gamrot he has power, knees, he switch stances, he is a fookin nightmare for a wrestler, anyway Gamrot has the cardio and wrestling enough ( based in the Frevola fight ) to keep the fight where he needs. Anyway, the problem with Gamrot is how he sets the takedowns, he is too anxious and goes inmediately for the takedown without boxing before of fainting. And he is too anxious too cause in fact he doesnt need this fight at all and he cames in short notice. I get it, he is confident in his chances. But losing this fighr Would be a huge step back in his career. Anyway I think he should win this fight.

Pickett vs. Nickal
Bo Nickal, SUB, R1
UFC didnt have Ike Villanueva avalaible?

Garbrandt vs. Jones
Cody Garbrandt, DEC
No interested

Brunson vs. Du Plessis
Dricus Du Plessis, TKO, R2
BUMSON VS BUMPLESISS. BUMSON too slow and 0 cardio to follow his path of victoria. BUM PLESSIS is still more explosive than BUMSON even being tired and his strikes Will be damaging against BUMSON who has a **** of chin. ko 2nd round 😎🇿🇦

Araujo vs. Ribas
Viviane Araujo, TKO, R2
Araujo is pretty well rounded ( only issue is the cardio, thats why she cant mix strikes and takedowns during 25 minutes vs Grass ) and Araujo needs to keep the pressure and keep rhe fight standing, the path of the victory of Ribas is trying to gass out Araujo but Ribas likes to lead her head to the punches of the opponent, so this is why Im predicting a TKO for Araujo, cause she has power she is well rounded and Ribas has 0 defense in that aspect.

Marquez vs. Barriault
Marc-André Barriault, DEC
A guy who runs a podcast with a Granny ****star vs a Canadian guy who trains in Kill Cliff

Machado Garry vs. Song
Ian Machado Garry, TKO, R1
If Garry let the hands and kicks fly, this Would be a 10 secon finish. Anyway Garry is a guy who take his time, Kenan is not the worst fighter by skills who Garry faced in UFC, but he is the WORST FIGHTER AS FIGHTER, cause he doesnt pressure like Gabe Green or Dorian Weeks, he is not a dog..

Martinez vs. Saaiman
Cameron Saaiman, TKO, R3
Mana Martínez has the one punch chance, but thats it, he is an absolutely BUM. No pressure, no volume, same strikes, no grappling. In the other side you have the south african kid who has balls of the size of Dana White Head, he has constant pressure, power in the hands, great compusure for a guy of his age, and cardio for days, thats why Im prediccting a late tko

Penne vs. Ricci
Tabatha Ricci, DEC
Ricci broke Brandan Olivas heart & she will broke Jessica " The Dog " Penne too. This Will be a pretty similar fight for Ricci like the fight vs Viana and even easier.

Basharat vs. Blackshear
Farid Basharat, DEC
1st Round: Basharat picking apart this guy, moving , striking in & out. 2nd Round: Same thing but Black**** even more tired & with no hopes in the fight. 3rd round: Blackshear so tired and hopeless. This is the round where we could see a finish in the clinch or ground and pound by Basharat. But I think this Will be a decision for Basharat 30-27 or 30-26 AND STILL UNDEFEATED🇦🇫🔐

Radzhabov vs. Ribovics
Loik Radzhabov, DEC
Strong wrestler and veteran PFL Warrior vs A guy who cames from Samurai Fight House, promotion with the level of the Kimbo Slice backyard fights

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 4 months, 4 weeks, 1 day, 23 hours, and 22 minutes from now.
FallenAngel
FallenAngel
  • Predictions:  5,789  |  70.8%
  • Forum Posts:  283
  • Post Score: 128

03.04.2023 | 10:20 AM ET

UFC 285: Jones vs. Gane | Full Card Fight Picks in 3 Minutes

Predictions: 11 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 780 Points   |   Tied for 609th

"Every second is a gift"

Andrew1047
Andrew1047
  • Predictions:  4,255  |  82.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,813
  • Post Score: -82

03.04.2023 | 10:24 AM ET

Small Stakes

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 770 Points   |   Tied for 712th

24.0 odds parlay for tonight if anyone is interested, only leg i'm a bit unsure of is Radzhabov/Ribovics ITD

* Edited at 03.04.2023, 10:49 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 3 days, 4 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
gordon81
gordon81
  • Predictions:  71  |  47.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: -200

03.04.2023 | 10:45 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 10 Winners, 2 Perfect, 330 Points   |   Tied for 5457th

Jones vs. Gane
Jon Jones, SUB, R3
Jones has a tough challenge, but his reach and unpredictability will be to his favour - on top of the pressure of fighting a legend that ciryl would have watched and may of even admired. Success for Gane requires the fight to stay on the feet and maintaining control of the octagon.

Shevchenko vs. Grasso
Valentina Shevchenko, TKO
Valentina's last fight was very close but regardless of the result of the fight, it proves Valentina is human and does make mistakes. Alexa has worked on her cardio and hopefully has worked on her submissions and wrestling as this is the clear path of victory for her.

Neal vs. Rakhmonov
Geoff Neal, TKO, R2
I doubted geoff too many times - but today i expect him to severe the Kazakhstani his first lost in explosive fashion.

Garbrandt vs. Jones
Trevin Jones, TKO, R2
cody no chin

ThePavlov
ThePavlov
  • Predictions:  2,140  |  67.9%
  • Forum Posts:  17
  • Post Score: 29

03.04.2023 | 10:51 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 4 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 4068th

Omni
Omni
  • Predictions:  2,066  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 0

03.04.2023 | 10:54 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 13 of 14 Winners, 6 Perfect, 880 Points   |   Tied for 70th

Radzhabov vs. Ribovics
Loik Radzhabov, DEC
Okay

Mothswords
Mothswords
  • Predictions:  2,541  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,296
  • Post Score: 151

03.04.2023 | 10:56 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 14 Winners, 2 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 4821st

ITS FIGHT DAY GENTLEMAN! We got great prospects, many top 10 fights, hot women, & the return of Jon Jones against his toughest opponent yet. Time to play RDR2 for the next 6 hours to make the time fly by. Good luck to everyones parlays!
gliese58i
gliese58i

03.04.2023 | 10:58 AM ET

@Noxx

I actually think he won that fight vs Frevola and that's been my stance on it from when it aired to whenever I rewatched it. I think he clearly outdamaged Frevola who had a lot of control, a lesser scoring criteria.
Turner has for sure improved a lot since then but Gamrot is also a lot better than Frevola.

I think the reason why I ultimately stuck with Gamrot as the pick is Turner has to improve on two dimensions since last we saw him, his grappling and his cardio. If it was just one thing I think I'd be on the dog here. I still like Turner's chances because I'm not as high on Gamrot as most people are but I have to lean Gamrot still.

Staha
Staha
  • Predictions:  95  |  69.5%
  • Forum Posts:  192
  • Post Score: 16

03.04.2023 | 11:09 AM ET

Parlay

Predictions: 4 of 5 Winners, 0 Perfect, 215 Points   |   Tied for 5671st

What y'all think about a Basharat, Saimaan, Araujo, Ian Garry, Shavkat and Bo Nickel parlay 
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 5 days, 4 hours, and 36 minutes from now.
Cheddiemac
Cheddiemac
  • Predictions:  1,866  |  68.4%
  • Forum Posts:  171
  • Post Score: 124

03.04.2023 | 11:19 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 665 Points   |   Tied for 2475th

Not been hyped for a card like this in a long time can just tell we all gonna have a very profitable night

My most confident picks are:

Garry ITD
Bo nickal ITD
Shevchenko fight o1.5 rounds
Basharat by decision 
Du plessis Fight does not go the distance 
Jon Jones fight o1.5 rounds
Marquez fight does not go distance

My lesser confident picks are:
Gamrot to win
Rakhmanov fight o1.5 rounds
Saaiman by finish
Garbrandt 
Jon jones to win

All that’s left to do now is wait but let’s this money you ******s

gliese58i
gliese58i

03.04.2023 | 11:25 AM ET

Bo ITD is -700. Don't know about putting my neck on that one lol.

stuthehistoryguy
stuthehistoryguy
  • Predictions:  10,397  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  737
  • Post Score: 316

03.04.2023 | 11:30 AM ET

Andres Montana

Predictions: 8 of 14 Winners, 3 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 4671st

Andres, I agree with you almost completely on the Jones fight. In his prime at 205, Bones was one of the four guys you could call the MMA GOAT with a straight face. He was absolutely dominant, nearly unbeatable in all phases of the game. His last run of fights were less than impressive. He was fighting "not to lose", and by all appearances it was just a matter of time before some good light-heavy (not necessarily a great one) knocked him off. Then he took three years off, ostensibly to train and put on "good weight". Now he's facing one of the sharpest heavyweights in the game. The physical advantages (height, arguably strength) that characterized his dominance at 205 pounds just won't exist against Gane - with the exception of reach, which will be less pronounced than it was against most of his previous dance partners. This is literally the toughest test he's had from an objective standpoint - guys like Cormier and Machida may have been better p4p fighters, but they weren't heavyweights when he fought them. The guy who squeaked out victories against Santos and Reyes shouldn't be the favorite against Gane, especially after three years of sabbatical.

Granted, I see the opposite viewpoint when breaking this fight down by skillset. Gane was outwrestled by Frances, so it stands to reason that Jones should be able to own him and grind out a decision on the ground if nothing else. Also, we remember how GSP (his peer in the group of four guys mentioned above) was arguably a better fighter after his time away from active competition, and Jones has been training with Cejudo, who has emerged as one of the best guys in the field. One difference, however, is that GSP was arguably the most driven athlete in the history of the sport in terms of training and focus, whereas Jones is...not, to put it charitably. Let us also recall that Frances, non-wrestler that he was, matched decorated mat warrior Miocic on the ground as well, and Gane's matchup against the scariest man in the sport shouldn't be used as a benchmark as to how he will perform against a blown up light heavyweight. 

And then there's the question of cardio. and how Jones will do carrying an extra 40 pounds.

So I'm picking Gane.

"I'm not on your side. I'm not on his side. I'm on the side or being right. - Richard Harrison Sr"

Andrew1047
Andrew1047
  • Predictions:  4,255  |  82.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,813
  • Post Score: -82

03.04.2023 | 11:34 AM ET

Predictions: 12 of 14 Winners, 5 Perfect, 770 Points   |   Tied for 712th

If god damn Dennis Tiuliulin finished Pickett then Bo Nickal sure as hell will. 

* Edited at 03.04.2023, 11:35 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 7 months, 3 days, 4 hours, and 13 minutes from now.

Page 51

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : BKFC, The Morning After: It’s Finally Time For Perry Vs. Till
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez content UFC on ESPN 55 served as reminder: 'Honestly, I haven't changed'
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Duffee, Hunt Suffer TKO Injuries At KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry on fiery Darren Till callout: ‘He’s talking his sh*t but he ain’t doing nothing’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Program total passes $25 million
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC on ESPN 55 with rare Mumford & Sons, Led Zeppelin, Eminem Curse
  • MMA Mania : Biggest Winners, Loser From UFC Vegas 91
  • MMA Mania : ‘Platinum’ Got Paid! (KnuckleMania 4 Salaries Revealed)
  • MMA Mania : Charly Arnolt Makes Short-Notice UFC History
  • MMA Mania : Charly Arnolt Makes UFC history
  • Bad Left Hook : Boxing streaming and TV schedule for May 2-4
  • Jits Magazine : Demetrious ‘Mighty Mouse’ Johnson Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 video: Bryce Hall, Taylor Holder heated exchange leads to insane crowd fight
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 salaries: Mike Perry leads event payroll with 6-figure purse
  • MMA Mania : McGregor Is A Part Owner Of BKFC
  • MMA Mania : Highlights! Perry Steamrolls Alves With Quick TKO
  • MMA Junkie : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 results: Mike Perry makes quick work of Thiago Alves, goes ballistic afterward
  • MMAFighting.com : Perry knocks out Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry knocks out Thiago Alves in 60 seconds, calls out ‘fat f*cking b*tch’ Darren Till at BFKC KnuckleMania 4