Topic: UFC 296

UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,349
  • Post Score: 47

06.01.2023 | 10:16 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 296
  • Saturday 12.16.2023 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $9,300,000
  • Attendance: 19,039
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Leon Edwards   defeats   Colby Covington   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Alexandre Pantoja   defeats   Brandon Royval   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Shavkat Rakhmonov   defeats   Stephen Thompson   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:56 Round 2 of 3, 9:56 Total Bout Page
Paddy Pimblett   defeats   Tony Ferguson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Josh Emmett   defeats   Bryce Mitchell   via KO/TKO, Overhand Right   1:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Alonzo Menifield   defeats   Dustin Jacoby   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Irene Aldana   defeats   Karol Rosa   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Cody Garbrandt   defeats   Brian Kelleher   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   3:42 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ariane Lipski   defeats   Casey O'Neill   via Submission, Armbar   1:18 Round 2 of 3, 6:18 Total Bout Page
Tagir Ulanbekov   defeats   Cody Durden   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:25 Round 2 of 3, 9:25 Total Bout Page
Andre Fili   defeats   Lucas Almeida   via KO/TKO, Right Hook to Ground Strikes   3:32 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Shamil Gaziev   defeats   Martin Buday   via KO/TKO, Elbows and Punches (standing TKO)   0:56 Round 2 of 3, 5:56 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 23

LilBro123
LilBro123
  • Predictions:  227  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  331
  • Post Score: 24

12.13.2023 | 9:09 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 380 Points   |   Tied for 4655th

The UFC needs to do something on these overweight middleweights infesting the division.  Gaziev is a embarrassing example lmao. 
shaqalicious023
shaqalicious023
  • Predictions:  494  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  123
  • Post Score: 76

12.13.2023 | 9:17 AM ET

Analysis and predictions video for Balkan fans

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,083  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,083
  • Post Score: 137

12.13.2023 | 9:46 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 600 Points   |   Tied for 765th

Buday has shown great toughness and durability so far but he's going to have a rough first 3-4 minutes with Gaziev, who has absolute nukes in both his hands.

I'm not sure I subscribe to the idea Gaziev has bad cardio. He won his only fight that went the distance*** and its not like Buday is some model athlete with marathon runner cardio either. 

* Edited at 12.13.2023, 11:27 AM ET *

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,276  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32,372
  • Post Score: 89

12.13.2023 | 10:33 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 2636th

Have you seen his fight in ares? He death gassed after about 2 minutes. He won the fight by being the better fighter (also beating kornilov is better than any of buday’s wins) but he was exhausted & was getting sniped on the feet and made some bad wrestling mistakes on the mat. Even in some of his finishes he is getting tired; look at his fight vs ponarmaev for example. He got dropped bad and went through a round of hell & managed to have just enough to get a finish. But he was exhausted. 

I agree that budays cardio sucks but he has at least shown an ability to consistently go 15 minutes, even if he’s tired. Once Gaziev gets tired he starts making so many mistakes 

* Edited at 12.13.2023, 10:34 AM ET *

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

foppa420
foppa420

12.13.2023 | 11:33 AM ET

@ayy

I did see that fight and actually agree with your assessment. My overall point is just that, although it's as small a sample size as you can have, Gaziev was able to win his only fight that went the distance (even if it wasn't pretty). 

There aren't many of them, but this is actually a decent unranked heavyweight fight. Again, I think Buday will have to walk through literal hell for about 4 minutes if he wants to win this fight. It get's a bit easier after that, but it's still no walk in the park. 

The part I'm stuck on is if he can even get past that initial onslaught. Gaziev seriously hits so ******* hard it's not even funny. 
gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,424  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  10,663
  • Post Score: 128

12.13.2023 | 11:34 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 3971st

I'm wary of some of the fights of Gaziev that I watched because clearly both him and his opponent was on the sauce since in later fights he had lost like 50 lbs of muscle lol.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

12.13.2023 | 11:49 AM ET

@foppa yeah that’s kind of where I’m at. Gaziev has a lot of exploitable holes but the dudes power is insane for a heavyweight. Obviously all heavyweights hit hard but it’s pretty rare to see someone one punching everyone they face. Watching buday get lit up by that jobber on dwcs was extremely concerning, especially since buday has a track record of blocking punches with his chin. There is no way he can take a clean shot from Gaziev on the chin

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

12.13.2023 | 11:56 AM ET

@gilese was that the ponarmaev fight? That dude is built like a grizzly bear. 6”6 and roided to the gills 

foppa420
foppa420

12.13.2023 | 12:01 PM ET

@ayy

I'm assuming Buday being so hittable is why this matchup was made. Barring some kind of injury/issue, I imagine Gaziev is going to be on that Saudi Arabia Fight Night card in March no matter what. However, the UFC would probably love for him to be going into that event with some momentum. I think they gave him a very winnable fight here while also giving him an opponent that will elevate his stock.

It most definitely hasn't been pretty so far, but at the end of the day, Buday is 4-0 in the UFC. His only career loss is to a pretty good fighter. It's a solid head for Gaziev's record if he can get it done. 
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

12.13.2023 | 12:03 PM ET

Well when this first got put together buday was ranked number 15. UFC knows Gaziev is good enough that he will touch the rankings (with heavyweight being so trash and all) so they wanted to throw him in the deep end without giving him a very difficult matchup 

I will say tho, despite being the obvious A side I am absolutely baffled why he opened underdog. I can’t remember the last time a hyped Russian prospect went from -600 on dwcs to an underdog in their debut

* Edited at 12.13.2023, 12:04 PM ET *

Black Belt Bets
Black Belt Bets
  • Predictions:  38  |  86.8%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: -20

12.13.2023 | 1:05 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 42nd with 2 others

Goggins is going to be one of Tony's corner men lol
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 7 months, 6 hours, and 44 minutes from now.
MongolianMurderer
MongolianMurderer
  • Predictions:  553  |  59.1%
  • Forum Posts:  140
  • Post Score: 91

12.13.2023 | 1:38 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 620 Points   |   Tied for 515th

Edwards vs. Covington
Leon Edwards, DEC
honestly this fight is going to be boring Leon is going to get the better of colby for thr whole fight except for maybe round 5 but i think colby will find 0 success in this fight and leon will win a unanimous decision

Pantoja vs. Royval II
Brandon Royval, TKO, R2
so something tells me this is FOTN and they both go at it right from the start but i think pantoja will gas slightly faster then royval and get caught clean on the chin with a elbow from royval then get hit with fast shots on the ground to stop the fight

Rakhmonov vs. Thompson
Shavkat Rakhmonov, SUB, R2
Dominance here we see shavkat strike with wonderboy for a round then shoot and get RNC

Ferguson vs. Pimblett
Paddy Pimblett, SUB, R2
poor tony why would u go to hell with goggins seriously why paddy is alot of bad things but one things is paddys durability and conditioning i also beliveve tony is even more sloppy then paddy by this point expect tony to just drop the ball after the first round like hes been doing

Luque vs. Machado Garry
Ian Machado Garry, TKO, R3
THE CUCKOLD MR GARRY honestly what a great scrap and before luques head exploded i probably wouldve picked but looking at his last few he was super gunshy agaisnt belal got beat to a bloody pulp against geoff and grappled his way through 5 rounds with rda hes not the fighter we once knew and because of this i think we see him get rocked badly in the third with luque up against the fence taking too many shots and having the ref step in

Emmett vs. Mitchell
Josh Emmett, TKO, R3
call me crazy but who has worked emmett on the mat before i cant ever recall a time he was getting dragged to deep waters bryce is too one dimensional against a guy who has pretty decent wrestling himself and add in the fact that emmett is a walking tank this could go very bad for bryce

Aldana vs. Rosa
Irene Aldana, TKO, R2
wow i get why people dont like aldana i dont necceserailly rate her highly but rosa couldnt finish a 2 year old aldana will find her shot after a very boring first round

Garbrandt vs. Kelleher
Cody Garbrandt, DEC
kelleher hits very hard but is old and slow the only way cody loses this fight is by literally letting brian ko him i know codys a idiot but i dont think that much of an idiot should win a unanimous decision

O'Neill vs. Lipski
Casey O'Neill, TKO, R2
its wmma but Casey is still good she just had a big test after a long layoff Lipski on the other hand is not some crazy new and improved fighter shes just been fighting lower level women casey will shoot get a takedown find the full mount and punch her way to a ground and pound ko win

Menifield vs. Jacoby
Dustin Jacoby, DEC
Alonzo got koed by OSP hes such a sloppy fighter but built like a monster Jacoby is a clean striker with good enough TDD to either find Alonzos chin early or weather the first round storm and chop away with leg kicks and clean jabs to pick up a Unanimous Decision win

Ulanbekov vs. Durden
Tagir Ulanbekov, DEC
boring ass fight but tagir has the better wrestling and durden puts himself in positions where he can get subbed

Fili vs. Almeida
Lucas Almeida, TKO, R3
why the **** is everyone so confident in Fili dude has no chin and only has good striking cause of his reach Lucas is smaller but a finisher expect him to put Fili away late with a left hook or guillotine

Gaziev vs. Buday
Shamil Gaziev, TKO, R1
two awful heavyweights but heres the difference would the ufc rather promote the heavyweight who has pillow hands or the guy sleeping people in the first round ill take gaziev by punches

Brown vs. Salikhov
Randy Brown, DEC
Muslim is too short and too old to stop randy from picking him apart at range randy brown by unanimous decision

Sidomavicius
Sidomavicius
  • Predictions:  1,074  |  70.2%
  • Forum Posts:  336
  • Post Score: 179

12.13.2023 | 2:00 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 2813th

Aldana vs. Rosa
Irene Aldana, DEC
Irene Aldana coming back from that beatdown by Nunes. I think she just got overwhelmed by the moment. Rosa is a decision fighter in the UFC. Solid, not outstanding anywhere. I like that Aldana trains with Loopy and the man with the beautiful hair now lol. Irene has good striking and i see her doing much more damage than Rosa, and at the end of the day that’s the main criteria for judging these days. I see either a late finish for Aldana, or a comfortable decision. With Nunes gone from the division, i think if Aldana wins, shes right back in there.

"Kindness is a universal language regardless of age, nationality or religion” — Sir Alex Ferguson"

oskartomaszrr
oskartomaszrr
  • Predictions:  237  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 233

12.13.2023 | 2:34 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 620 Points   |   Tied for 515th

Ferguson vs. Pimblett
Tony Ferguson, TKO, R2
It's Tony Time.

Dstone
Dstone
  • Predictions:  470  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  170
  • Post Score: 71

12.13.2023 | 2:46 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 4379th

Really hyped for this card but if we dont get an upset on the main card it will be an auto L 
May the mma gods bless us 🙏

"ZAZAAAAA"

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,424  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  10,663
  • Post Score: 128

12.13.2023 | 2:52 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 3971st

People overrate Buday a bit. He had a lot of hype when he first arrived and then people didn't adjust their expectations after he had a few stinkers in the UFC.
I don't think Gaziev has done anything to inspire confidence though, overall a low level fight.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

Black Belt Bets
Black Belt Bets
  • Predictions:  38  |  86.8%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: -20

12.13.2023 | 2:57 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 42nd with 2 others

The way Gaziev got his back taken like 15 seconds into his DWCS fight was pathetic, he isn't a lock but hopefully beats Bumday
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 7 months, 6 hours, and 44 minutes from now.
Dixgo514
Dixgo514
  • Predictions:  5,274  |  80.0%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 197

12.13.2023 | 3:04 PM ET

UFC 296 Predictions

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 2700th

Randy Brown Dec
Irene Aldana Dec
Bryce Mitchell Dec
Ian Machado Dec
Paddy Pimblett Sub or Dec
Shavkat Rakhmonov KO/TKO Round 2
Alexandre Pantoja Sub or Dec
Colby Covington Dec

"Egyptians, Greeks, Samurais, American boxers turned martial arts in science... I am the the next stage"

Dstone
Dstone

12.13.2023 | 3:14 PM ET

I dont know why i was downvoted on my opinion on muslim as a better combat more experienced he has over 190 kickboxing matches and the kung fu background i know he didnt look all that good but dude is a gatekeeper if not better then randy idno wouldnt suprise me he finds the ko as he has very accurate striking as in JDM

"ZAZAAAAA"

Dstone
Dstone

12.13.2023 | 3:15 PM ET

I know its sanda KB but he was pulling in gold for many years in the olympics

"ZAZAAAAA"

Page 23

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : New Rankings! Lewis Returns To Heavyweight Top 10
  • MMA Junkie : With Colby Covington 'running,' Ian Machado Garry reveals slew of names offered by UFC
  • MMA Mania : ‘Poatan’ Gets New Job At Topps Hobby Shop
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: Tyson Fury vs Oleksandr Usyk preview, Lomachenko, more
  • MMAFighting.com : Report: Devin Haney’s attorney calls for Ryan Garcia disqualification in NYSAC letter, Garcia responds
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC announces return to Paris on Sept. 28
  • MMA Junkie : UFC announces return to Paris on September 28
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown recounts wild story of nearly getting stabbed in jail: ‘It almost backfired very badly’
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4 Full Preview
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White says UFC card at Sphere will be one and done: 'Nobody will ever be able to pull this off again'
  • MMA Mania : Sorry, Tampa! UFC Heads To Denver With Namajunas Vs. Barber
  • UFC.com : UFC RETURNS TO PARIS FOR THIRD-CONSECUTIVE YEAR ON SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28
  • MMA Junkie : Dominick Cruz addresses Jose Aldo fight not coming together for UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Aljamain Sterling ‘would bet my life savings’ against Sean O’Malley in rematch: ‘It was an off-night’
  • MMA Mania : MVP, Buckley ... Brady? ‘I’ve Said, ‘Yes!!!’
  • MMA Mania : MVP, Buckley, Brady? ‘I’ve Said Yes’
  • Jits Magazine : Fight 2 Win 253 Full Results And Review
  • Jits Magazine : Three-Time NCAA Champion Jason Nolf To Make Professional Grappling Debut
  • MMA Junkie : UFC books Tracy Cortez vs. Miranda Maverick for summer showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Maycee Barber vs. Rose Namajunas targeted for UFC Fight Night headliner on July 13