Topic: UFC 296

UFC 296: Edwards vs. Covington

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,284
  • Post Score: 47

06.01.2023 | 10:16 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 296
  • Saturday 12.16.2023 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $9,300,000
  • Attendance: 19,039
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Leon Edwards   defeats   Colby Covington   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Alexandre Pantoja   defeats   Brandon Royval   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Shavkat Rakhmonov   defeats   Stephen Thompson   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:56 Round 2 of 3, 9:56 Total Bout Page
Paddy Pimblett   defeats   Tony Ferguson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Josh Emmett   defeats   Bryce Mitchell   via KO/TKO, Overhand Right   1:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Alonzo Menifield   defeats   Dustin Jacoby   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Irene Aldana   defeats   Karol Rosa   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Cody Garbrandt   defeats   Brian Kelleher   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   3:42 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ariane Lipski   defeats   Casey O'Neill   via Submission, Armbar   1:18 Round 2 of 3, 6:18 Total Bout Page
Tagir Ulanbekov   defeats   Cody Durden   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:25 Round 2 of 3, 9:25 Total Bout Page
Andre Fili   defeats   Lucas Almeida   via KO/TKO, Right Hook to Ground Strikes   3:32 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Shamil Gaziev   defeats   Martin Buday   via KO/TKO, Elbows and Punches (standing TKO)   0:56 Round 2 of 3, 5:56 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 17

Black Belt Bets
Black Belt Bets
  • Predictions:  38  |  86.8%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: -20

12.10.2023 | 9:18 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 42nd with 2 others

Garry will lose to the first decent grappler he fights, mark my words. Even when Magny was clinching him against the cage he was doing that weird thing with his arm, hanging it over the cage wall. Fish out of water.
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 7 months, 1 day, 21 hours, and 58 minutes from now.
Black Belt Bets
Black Belt Bets
  • Predictions:  38  |  86.8%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: -20

12.10.2023 | 9:19 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 725 Points   |   Tied for 42nd with 2 others

@Parlay Boss 
Garry will never touch the title while Shavkat is in the picture.

* Edited at 12.10.2023, 9:19 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 7 months, 1 day, 21 hours, and 58 minutes from now.
DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,804  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,581
  • Post Score: 261

12.10.2023 | 9:22 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 4379th

Got to mention Vicente  Ko is a very likely outcome because Garry been dropped or wobble in a few of his fights and Vicente can punch, even still Ian Garry still should win, I donā€™t like Garry and find him annoying, but I respect the talent and beside getting dinked, he wins

* Edited at 12.10.2023, 9:26 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

DaWarBoss
DaWarBoss
  • Predictions:  442  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  344
  • Post Score: 57

12.10.2023 | 9:45 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 3727th

Garry has so much on his mind right now, that it actually matters, I think it is a big problem for him.

I also think he is the kind of man that works better on the darker side of things.

He's not here to win, he's not here to take over. He's here to beat the brains out of, brain surgery survivor Vicente Luque.

Behind every good man, is a good woman... Behind every bad man...
CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,163  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,625
  • Post Score: 108

12.10.2023 | 9:49 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 570 Points   |   Tied for 1191st

@DaWarBoss 

Holy **** tell the doc to up the dosage. Taratara 

* Edited at 12.10.2023, 9:57 PM ET *

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

DaWarBoss
DaWarBoss

12.10.2023 | 11:05 PM ET

@CrimsonChinGuru 
Unfortunately for both of us, I am just a guy who made an account, maybe a year ago now. I will keep saying my thoughts. Shouting at a wall of people is better than shouting at a wall. Also would you like to go on meds? Chill out babe, you can chill if you just try.

I am loyal, I am on team Tartara. But you and I have no problems.
CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru

12.10.2023 | 11:11 PM ET

@DaWarBoss 

Naw you just yapping nonsense and your typing reads out like Taratara's nonsensical ramblings .  "HE is the kind of man who works better on the darker side of things." šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤”

*Ian Garry proceeds to private all his social media for getting a lil backlash for being a CUCK.*

Idc go ahead keep saying whatever you want doesn't mean I'm not gonna bully you. + I'm not your "babe" ya freak.

* Edited at 12.10.2023, 11:14 PM ET *

Lithiumwow
Lithiumwow
  • Predictions:  256  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 25

12.10.2023 | 11:26 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 2223rd

Emmett vs. Mitchell
Josh Emmett, DEC
cause religion can only take you so far.

"I 'm beacon of knowledge blazing across black sea of ignorance."

DaWarBoss
DaWarBoss

12.10.2023 | 11:31 PM ET

@CrimsonChinGuru 
If you look at my record and believe I know nothing, you are doing a disservice to yourself, peace wins all war my brother. 
depmode33
depmode33
  • Predictions:  248  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,383
  • Post Score: 183

12.11.2023 | 1:35 AM ET

Its a must win for Colby.  His idol will be sitting front row.  The credibility of his persona relies on him winning this fight or his schtick will be done for.  If he does win, I see Trump wrapping the belt over his waist.
weeit
weeit
  • Predictions:  290  |  69.0%
  • Forum Posts:  442
  • Post Score: 29

12.11.2023 | 1:35 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 3359th

Pantoja vs Royval fight of the night 
CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru

12.11.2023 | 1:57 AM ET

@DaWarBoss 

Don't get too big of a head, you have less than 250 fights predicted. You got a lot to learn lil guy

* Edited at 12.11.2023, 1:57 AM ET *

MarioSuperSmash
MarioSuperSmash
  • Predictions:  2,240  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  330
  • Post Score: 38

12.11.2023 | 2:28 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 3423rd

Luque vs. Machado Garry
Ian Machado Garry, DEC
This fight screams like it's going to be Garry staying on the outside picking and poking at him with calf kicks and the jab. Garry is too good and smart to fight stupid IMO. This fight has stinker written all over it

"Eat Sleep Gamble on fights šŸ‘ŠšŸæšŸ‘ŠšŸæšŸ‘ŠšŸæ"

PiggyBank
PiggyBank
  • Predictions:  1,252  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  722
  • Post Score: 258

12.11.2023 | 2:40 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 1418th

"i "Pick ā› Up Truck" all the events on Tapology ! | empty walls of Tapology.... | I don't give a flying F16... | keep ****posting about me... | Get Your Mind Out Of The Gutter... | Lā˜»L | @TARTARABLESS | just let me know... !?"

UFC_1
UFC_1
  • Predictions:  1,163  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  372
  • Post Score: 62

12.11.2023 | 2:52 AM ET

@PiggyBank 
i want have right bet every fight of this
UFC_1
UFC_1
  • Predictions:  1,163  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  372
  • Post Score: 62

12.11.2023 | 2:57 AM ET

Fights *Just Watch / No Bet*

Paddy Pimblett  VS Manuel Torres
Ian Machado Garry VS Jack Della Maddalena

* Edited at 12.11.2023, 3:04 AM ET *

unreformed
unreformed
  • Predictions:  720  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  50
  • Post Score: 178

12.11.2023 | 3:16 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 315 Points   |   Tied for 5290th

Edwards vs. Covington
Leon Edwards, TKO, R3
I know edwards was losing the second fight against usman and if it wasnā€™t for that headkick he likely never becomes champion but if he could overcome usman twice I canā€™t see him not beating a worse version of usman in colby. I see rocky finding a tko after getting into a groove either in the second or third round and ending covingtonā€™s dreams of being champion.

Pantoja vs. Royval II
Brandon Royval, TKO, R2
This is another fight similar to the luque pick where the correct pick and the more likely winner is definitely pantoja but royval seems to be a naturally gifted fighter. I think heā€™s going to catch pantoja early in another huge upset to end the year of the underdog.

Rakhmonov vs. Thompson
Shavkat Rakhmonov, SUB, R2
Shavkat is who we thought khamzat would be in the welterweight division. I fully expect him to be the champion come next year.

Ferguson vs. Pimblett
Paddy Pimblett, DEC
It hurts to pick against el cucuy as heā€™s the reason i fell in love with mma and the ufc as a promotion but I canā€™t pick him here. Yes paddy is overrated and lost his last fight but tony should not be fighting anymore. I will be rooting for tony but i donā€™t see him winning. Regardless of the outcome i hope he hangs them up for good.

Luque vs. Machado Garry
Vicente Luque, TKO, R1
After this fight was announced and leading up to it i was very confident in garry despite how unlikable he is. However with everything going on in his personal life and all the drama surrounding him and his wife and family, I can see it affecting him especially with how young he is. Garry is the right pick to make in this matchup but iā€™m taking luque here to pull off a huge upset, wonā€™t be the first time iā€™m wrong and certainly wonā€™t be the last.

Emmett vs. Mitchell
Bryce Mitchell, DEC
Torn on this fight primarily due to the short notice factor. Weā€™ve seen enough from both fighters to know what to expect. I was originally siding with emmett because i thought he could keep it on the feet and either outstrike thug nasty to a decision or possibly tko him. But he has taken an absurd amount of damage between kattar, rodriguez and topuria not to mention his age. i honestly wouldnā€™t be surprised if mitchell can hold his own and even find some success on the feet and i do expect him to find a takedown or two to secure the victory.

Aldana vs. Rosa
Irene Aldana, DEC
I like aldana here to bounce back and get back into the win column and possibly title contention now that nunes is gone.

Garbrandt vs. Kelleher
Brian Kelleher, TKO, R1
This is another fight where the odds to me seem absurd. I get that cody is an ex champ and in his prime was that guy but his chin and durability are so questionable especially as time is not stopping and heā€™s only getting older. Iā€™m cheering for him but I have a bad feeling kelleher catches him and if he does I hope cody considers calling it a career, we donā€™t need another marlon moraes situation.

O'Neill vs. Lipski
Casey O'Neill, DEC
Arguably the worst fight of the card yet on paper this should still be a fun striking matchup. I went back and forth on this one but iā€™m siding with the king over the queen.

Menifield vs. Jacoby
Dustin Jacoby, TKO, R3
I like jacoby here for various reasons. I think technically speaking he is far and above the better striker, his experience and strength of schedule, his fight iq, his chin and durability which are important against a guy as powerful as menifield. All in all the only advantage I see menifield having is his power but I think jacoby will be too elusive and ultimately frustrate menifield by picking at him and ultimately finding a finish as the fight progresses.

Ulanbekov vs. Durden
Cody Durden, DEC
I have doubted durden long enough. He may not be the flashiest but heā€™s the embodiment of wrestling and itā€™s grind heavy culture. His pace, heart and willpower to win has impressed me and made me a big fan. Heā€™s obviously putting in a ton of work and iā€™m happy heā€™s getting a shot at a pretty big name in ulanbekov.

Fili vs. Almeida
Andre Fili, DEC
Fun fight between two very skilled strikers but outside of a knockout on almeidaā€™s end I canā€™t see him getting the better of fili. The experience and strength of level isnā€™t even comparable and although a fun fight I think itā€™s a bit of a mismatch. I can see fili mixing it up and winning a fairly dominant decision possibly a submission? I get that pat sabitini is a phenomenal grappler but he made almeida look like a white belt in his last fight.

Gaziev vs. Buday
Shamil Gaziev, TKO, R1
First of all Buday looked amazing in his last fight, HOWEVER, I personally do not think parisian is very good and most likely not ufc caliber. The recency bias of his last fight along with the fact that he is the more proven fighter within the ufc is like why he is the favorite odds. I watched all of gazievā€™s past fights leading up to his contender series bout and was honestly very impressed especially the win over kornilov. Iā€™m very surprised gaziev is the underdog here but I can sort of understand why. That being said I see gaziev dominating wherever this fight goes either by a knockout on the feet or some vicious ground and pound if he takes buday down.

Brown vs. Salikhov
Muslim Salikhov, TKO, R3
Although brown is a very good fighter the same can be said for salikhov and the odds do not reflect that. Brown definitely has the age advantage and length to point fight to a decision, however the power difference is what I see affecting the outcome of this fight. I think salikhov will catch rudeboy with something and finish the fight. Very close fight and great match making to open the final ppv of the year.

DaWarBoss
DaWarBoss

12.11.2023 | 3:41 AM ET

@CrimsonChinGuru 
Ok Chinpokomon, that is a fair point. But you know what has to happen next. Challenge me to a duel.

I will accept.

* Edited at 12.11.2023, 3:51 AM ET *

boya_UFC
boya_UFC
  • Predictions:  614  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 8

12.11.2023 | 4:35 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 1916th

Edwards vs. Covington
Leon Edwards, DEC
Colby -2 Usman but Leon +2 Easy prediction

Pantoja vs. Royval II
Alexandre Pantoja, DEC
Pantoja won "Brandon" last fight and will win "Brandon" this fight

Rakhmonov vs. Thompson
Shavkat Rakhmonov, DEC
Rakhmonov too much for Wonderboy

Ledecompte
Ledecompte
  • Predictions:  771  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  29
  • Post Score: 38

12.11.2023 | 6:59 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 1418th

Edwards vs. Covington
Colby Covington, DEC
Snoozefest pt 3 or Headshot pt 2

Rakhmonov vs. Thompson
Shavkat Rakhmonov, SUB, R3
Wonderboys good but he isnt that guy. Shavkats that guy.

Ferguson vs. Pimblett
Paddy Pimblett, SUB, R2
This is gonna hurt me to watch

Luque vs. Machado Garry
Ian Machado Garry, TKO, R3
If Garry makes it past the Press Conference

Emmett vs. Mitchell
Bryce Mitchell, DEC
Snoozefest again

Garbrandt vs. Kelleher
Cody Garbrandt, TKO, R1
Depends which Cody Garbrandt we get

Ulanbekov vs. Durden
Tagir Ulanbekov, DEC
Snoozefest

Fili vs. Almeida
Andre Fili, DEC
Fili by Great Nickname

Gaziev vs. Buday
Shamil Gaziev, TKO, R1
gaziev looks like a monster

"Better to burn out than to fade away"

Page 17

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC on ESPN 56: Derrick Lewis magic returns and Dana White criticism of main card winner
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ex-Bellator title challenger Alejandra Lara bloodies opponent in first-round TKO win
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley shifts to Gilbert Burns after unrealistic Conor McGregor callout: 'I'm definitely not going to get that'
  • MMA Mania : Lewis Ready To ā€˜Dibble Dabbleā€™ In WWE, On One Condition...
  • MMAFighting.com : Deontay Wilder concerned for Mike Tyson in Jake Paul fight: ā€˜God forbid he gets hurtā€™
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Derrick Lewis after UFC on ESPN 56 knockout win?
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor closes door on wrestling, potential MMA career after becoming Oklahoma State coach
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champ Andrei Arlovski added to Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler card at UFC 303
  • Middle Easy : Derrick Lewis Plans To ā€˜Dibble Dabbleā€™ In WWE While Fighting For UFC
  • MMA Junkie : Bryce Mitchell down with Sean Woodson's UFC St. Louis callout: 'I need some money'
  • MMAFighting.com : Mateusz Rebecki reveals gruesome aftermath of stoppage loss to Diego Ferreira in new hospital photo
  • MMA Mania : ā€˜We Gotta Get Out Of The Apexā€™
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC 302 Fight Card, PPV Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Dana White says UFC plans to hit road more in 2024: 'We've got to get out of the Apex'
  • MMAFighting.com : One-time WBC title challenger Artur Szpilka has wild walkout at KSW 94, then gets iced in 14 seconds
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Confirms Jon Jones Will Face Stipe Miocic Not Alex Pereira, Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler Sets New Record In Gate Sales
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Joaquin Buckley after UFC on ESPN 56 win?
  • Bad Left Hook : Grading the Fury vs Usyk PPV undercard
  • MMA Mania : Khabibā€™s Next Opponent: The Russian Tax Service?
  • MMAFighting.com : Ben Askren: If Alex Pereira fights Jon Jones, ā€˜thereā€™s a chance itā€™s over in like two and a half minutesā€™