Topic: UFC 249

UFC 249: Ferguson vs. Gaethje

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,035
  • Post Score: 47

01.21.2020 | 10:37 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 249
  • Saturday 05.09.2020 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 700,000 | TV Ratings: 1.47M avg. viewers (ESPN prelims, 1.59M peak)
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Justin Gaethje   defeats   Tony Ferguson   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:39 Round 5 of 5, 23:39 Total Bout Page
Henry Cejudo   defeats   Dominick Cruz   via KO/TKO, Knee and Punches   4:58 Round 2 of 5, 9:58 Total Bout Page
Francis NGannou   defeats   Jairzinho Rozenstruik   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:20 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Calvin Kattar   defeats   Jeremy Stephens   via KO/TKO, Elbows to Ground and Pound   2:42 Round 2 of 3, 7:42 Total Bout Page
Greg Hardy   defeats   Yorgan De Castro   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Anthony Pettis   defeats   Donald Cerrone   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Aleksei Oleinik   defeats   Fabrício Werdum   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Carla Esparza   defeats   Michelle Waterson-Gomez   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Vicente Luque   defeats   Niko Price   via KO/TKO, Doctor Stoppage (eye Injury)   3:37 Round 3 of 3, 13:37 Total Bout Page
Bryce Mitchell   defeats   Charles Rosa   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ryan Spann   defeats   Sam Alvey   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 13

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,779  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,555
  • Post Score: 262

04.29.2020 | 4:54 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 2300th

@stcv @void Im picking Katter and Spann actually as their are the better fighter. Im picking Cerrone as i think he less faded then Pettis 

* Edited at 04.29.2020, 4:55 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,779  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,555
  • Post Score: 262

04.29.2020 | 9:18 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 2300th

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/4/29/21242115/dana-white-doubtful-on-seeing-khabib-nurmagomedov-vs-tony-ferguson-in-2020

**** u dana give us the fight we want. No Khabib vs Conor ******** where Conor will tap again and that coming from a Mcgregor fan.  Tony vs Khabib is the only fight we want 

* Edited at 04.29.2020, 9:18 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

bazik
bazik

04.30.2020 | 2:13 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 1176th

@dami So Gaethje will win?
DrGlaze
DrGlaze
  • Predictions:  18,699  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  872
  • Post Score: 188

04.30.2020 | 4:08 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 1985th

It’s good to see Spann being successful in the UFC, always enjoyed watching him on the regional circuit around here (Texas). He should take out Alvey no problem. Unless Alvey does his wait the whole fight to throw 2 punches, then I see it being a UD for Ryan.

"I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers. -Khalil Gibran "

Hippie
Hippie

04.30.2020 | 10:11 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 550 Points   |   Tied for 301st

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

04.30.2020 | 10:41 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 505th

im a huge Tony fan but he may run into a brick wall here sadly

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

04.30.2020 | 11:52 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 1334th

Weed tea ain't no ******* joke! Wow! 
Chessum1995
Chessum1995
  • Predictions:  1,571  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  43
  • Post Score: 365

04.30.2020 | 12:20 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 2606th

Ferguson vs. Gaethje
Tony Ferguson, SUB, R3
This is an extremely hard fight to call, there is a valid case to be made for either fighter to pick up the win here and both are as likely as the other. Tony Ferguson is an absolute savage! he is extremely entertaining to watch and very very hard to put away. Gaethje brings the pressure and has enough power to put anyone away, he is not called "the highlight" for no reason and ontop of that Ferguson is very hittable so should gaethje connect it is very plausable that ferguson could be faced with the same fate that so many others prior to him have when facing justin Gaethje. On ferguson`s side is his recovery speed and his unpredictablity in throwing punches and cutting elbows from all positions and angles. despite the fact that i can see the majority of this fight playing out on the feet until someone hits the floor it is worth mentioning that both men have impressive creditials on the ground despite gaethje not utilising it as much as he maybe should at times. Ferguson is incredibly dangerous off of his back with his variety of submissions and therefore this prehaps isnt the best time for gaethje to start relying on his wrestling background, not that i think he would anyway... i see this being a very back and forth fight with gaethje taking the early rounds and maybe even dropping ferguson in the first and ending it right there but should ferguson be able to recover as he previously always has (which i think he will) i would say he would be favoured the longer the fight goes. i can see ferguson busting gaethje`s face open as he has most of his opponents and i believe that should the fight get there rounds 3 and 4 will be huge rounds for potential fight ending sequences. i am going to predict that ferguson pulls off a submission late on in round 3 but in all honesty no matter how this fight ends i do not think anyone would be shocked. It really is either guy`s fight and could go either way.

* Edited at 04.30.2020, 12:24 PM ET *

BradThom717
BradThom717
  • Predictions:  9,455  |  68.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,387
  • Post Score: 271

04.30.2020 | 2:17 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 387th

Am I the only one that feels extremely guilty choosing either side to back in this Ferguson/Gaethje fight? They're both my favorite Lightweight's ever, and easily both in my top 3 regardless of weight class. I literally have them 1.A and 1.B - because I can't decide. I literally feel like my 2 best buds are about to scrap & I'm gonna have to choose a side. I often flip-flop my picks, but c'mon.... This is outta control. 

But ... If I had to make a decision RIGHT NOW. Gaethje by KO, late R1 - early R2. Tony gets hit wayyy tooo much

"**** Fentanyl & **** Opiates too..."

loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

04.30.2020 | 2:30 PM ET

Predictions: 0 of 0 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 3531st

Haha. I’m with you Brad. What’s not to love  about both these fighters. I’m not a big “pound for pound” debate guy for the most part. That said, these guys gotta be two of the pure warrior “just bleed” guys in any weight class. The fact they fight like that and stay successful is not easy. I agree stylistically this is a bad fight for Ferg. The early hittability factor is a hard to ignore but Ferg is 36 and I really want to see him get what he’s IMO deserved. That Khabib fight must happen!

Not more fan of one guy more than the other really but I’m going Ferg for not giving up on my dream of the Khabib fight, while they’re both on top and before Ferg loses that step. It happens fast and we’ve already agreed on him taking  damage too willingly. Can happen to JG too but I think he’s gotta but more time on the clock. 

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,287  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,291
  • Post Score: 136

04.30.2020 | 3:13 PM ET

What I want..

Predictions: 1 of 8 Winners, 0 Perfect, 65 Points   |   Tied for 3501st

So this is a competitive card no doubt "if ferguson wins I'd like to see him move up or move on.
Ufc has ****** him too many times either try for another belt as clearly he isnt getting his chance which he earned.
Or see what bellator or one is paying he could easily wreck multiple divisions there.
On the other hand "*if*" justin wins obviously we all want to see him rip khabib in half which he has much better chance of doing due to his weak striking and zero size advantage.
But thats just me Ive been watching ferguson since the reality show where he was wrecking welts.
And UFC since vhs they tend to screw over people often with no plain reasons. 

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

void
void
  • Predictions:  416  |  64.9%
  • Forum Posts:  96
  • Post Score: 293

04.30.2020 | 4:33 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2958th

Cerrone vs. Pettis II
Anthony Pettis, TKO, R3
With a beaten down and aging Cowboy and a big time showcase spot (ESPN main event) with lots of eyes on this card, being that it's the only thing in sports happening right now, I think this is prime timing for a crazy showtime knockout. If Pettis can read Cowboy's timing I expect him to start getting flippy in the second and third. Throw a few head kicks as bait then tornado kick to the body tko would be crazy.

"This ain't no sport, do not call our....... sport, a sport" -Darren "The Elkins" Till

SolarCowboy
SolarCowboy
  • Predictions:  2,085  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  157
  • Post Score: 164

04.30.2020 | 6:17 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2958th

Werdum vs. Oleinik
Fabrício Werdum
Might be dog or pass

Esparza vs. Waterson
Michelle Waterson, DEC
in the air. Good odds on Michelle.

Souza vs. Hall
Ronaldo Souza, SUB, R3
Souza wins inside the distance.

Luque vs. Price
Vicente Luque, TKO, R2
It's a rematch. Luque won dominantly last time and will do it again.

"Complicated Human in Search of Simplicity"

MMAFORTUNETELLER
MMAFORTUNETELLER
  • Predictions:  32  |  56.3%
  • Forum Posts:  165
  • Post Score: -526

05.01.2020 | 11:20 AM ET

THE TELLER TALKS 249

This user is suspended from posting until 3 weeks, 5 days, 18 hours, and 40 minutes from now.
Pasena
Pasena
  • Predictions:  26  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 100

05.01.2020 | 4:26 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1064th

Ferguson vs. Gaethje
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R2
Justin backflips off Tony's corpse

Cejudo vs. Cruz
Henry Cejudo, SUB, R3
RNC

Spann vs. Alvey
Ryan Spann, TKO, R1
Who da ****

KO2019
KO2019
  • Predictions:  3,517  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  370
  • Post Score: 198

05.01.2020 | 5:32 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 912th

Ferguson vs. Gaethje
Tony Ferguson, TKO, R3
EZ 4 Cucuy

Esparza vs. Waterson
Carla Esparza, DEC
no way this sloppy dwarf beat Esparza

"They're All On Steroids Bro!"

kaiguy99
kaiguy99
  • Predictions:  366  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  13
  • Post Score: 223

05.01.2020 | 7:17 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 670 Points   |   Tied for 18th with 3 others

Ferguson vs. Gaethje
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R2
Tony gets rocked but always recovers amazingly well... But gaethje has something magic in those gloves. He puts people OUT. Ferguson submission threat will be his only shot if he can break Gaethje's takedown defense.

Cejudo vs. Cruz
Henry Cejudo, TKO, R3
Re-watched the Moraes fight. Cejudo has a damn chin and a lot of power. He's not afraid to take damage to get to the inside. If he does this he might be able to off a KO on Dom's battle-worn body. This is such a 50/50 fight though... Cruz has the best allusiveness in the game.

Stephens vs. Kattar
Calvin Kattar, DEC
cleaner boxing, higher output from Kattar. A body shot to Stephens could end the fight early.

Souza vs. Hall
Uriah Hall, TKO, R2
Im afraid Jacare's best days might be behind him based on his last fights. Hall will light him up on the feet unless Jacare can secure a takedown

Luque vs. Price
Vicente Luque, TKO, R2
Niko is so unpredictable that you never know, but Luque is my boy and his boxing is too clean. Last time they fought Luque took advantage of Niko's recklessness with some crisp boxing

Thuesen408
Thuesen408
  • Predictions:  2,707  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  286
  • Post Score: 273

05.02.2020 | 12:22 AM ET

Fighting during a pandemic...

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 76th

It is the best interest for fighters to get a quick finish and get the **** out of dodge with cash. I expect some crazy brawls and a lack of technical game plans.

"Blood alone moves the wheels of history!"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

05.02.2020 | 3:08 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 2189th

Rosa vs. Mitchell
Bryce Mitchell, DEC
Picking decision because of Rosa's experience & toughness but the youth and improving skill of Mitchell make a late finish a more than slightly possible

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

05.02.2020 | 4:33 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 2189th

Ferguson vs. Gaethje
Tony Ferguson, SUB, R3
Nah, just don't see it. Yes Justin has power and did fight a little more strategically in his last 3 but Tony's "hittabilility" is being blown way out of proportion imo. Lando caught him with a kick while Pettis has a much rangier fighting style than Justin and those are the only 2 that even affected Tony. But I'm very biased so don't listen to me.

Cejudo vs. Cruz
Dominick Cruz, DEC
Very intriguing fight that I probably will not enjoy. Really dislike Cejudo and while I'm not the biggest fan of most of Cruz's fights, I definitely see a clear path to a win for him IF he's still physically capable via distance management and seamless transitions between striking and grappling but the Garbrandt fight worries me.

N'Gannou vs. Rozenstruik
Jairzinho Rozenstruik, TKO, R1
I just hope it doesn't end with the first clean connection. Will Francis revert to his Lewis shell once he tastes Jair's power? Has Jair ever felt anything like N'Gannou's? If he hasn't and reacts like Francis did......no, don't want to think like that. Can Francis fight strategically from the outside? I predict Rozenstruik's skill to overcome the reach advantage.

Stephens vs. Kattar
Calvin Kattar, DEC
I think this fight is much closer than either the odds or especially the pick% indicate but I'll still side with the majority

Hardy vs. De Castro
Yorgan De Castro, TKO, R1
Yeah he survived Volkov who didn't want to engage in close but Yorgan will have to so now we get to actually see how Hardy's chin holds up because despite the height and reach advantage I don't think Hardy's capable of keeping the distance. But it is a HW fight so.....more popcorn please

Cerrone vs. Pettis II
Anthony Pettis, TKO, R1
Popcorn fight

Werdum vs. Oleinik
Fabrício Werdum, TKO, R2
While this is probably the best chance Alexey will ever have with Werdum coming off the layoff and I at least hope for some interesting grappling exchanges, subs against high level grapplers (in MMA) are rare, neither guy has ever been subbed, there's still levels to this ****, and Fabricio's always been on a higher one. But I can still hope.

Esparza vs. Waterson
Carla Esparza, DEC
I would LOVE to be wrong about this pick

Luque vs. Price
Vicente Luque, SUB, R2
Obviously still a great fight but why? They already fought, the outcome doesn't seem likely to be different, and WW is one of, if not the, deepest divisions.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Page 13

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 winner Don'Tale Mayes wants quick return on hometown Louisville card
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Ryan Garcia shows Colby Covington left hooks after Donald Trump meetup in Florida
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: Swedish fighter delivers incredible faceplant knockout in pro debut
  • MMA Junkie : GLORY Kickboxing vet Jhonata Diniz ready for 'big names' at heavyweight after UFC on ESPN 55 win
  • MMA Mania : Video: Garcia Striking Tips Open Colby’s Third Eye
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Perez on UFC main event knockout: ‘My friends always call me pillow hands, so now they can’t’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Says Dustin Poirier Is A ‘Tough Fight’, Wants Arman Tsarukyan Next
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alex Perez after UFC on ESPN 55 upset win?
  • MMAFighting.com : WATCH: UFC vet Hunter Azure flattens opponent with brutal one-punch knockout
  • Middle Easy : Video: Ryan Garcia Gives UFC Star Colby Covington Quick Striking Tutorial
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry thanks Conor McGregor for becoming BKFC owner: 'He's done remarkable things'
  • MMA Mania : ‘Thank You, Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler reacts to Conor McGregor becoming part owner of BKFC
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 post-event facts: Ryan Spann's struggles continue
  • Middle Easy : Mike Perry Reacts To Conor McGregor’s BKFC Ownership: ‘Nobody Moved That Needle Like Him’
  • MMA Junkie : Uros Medic knows Ian Machado Garry won't fight him but in his 'humble opinion,' would knock him out
  • MMAFighting.com : David Feldman explains how Conor McGregor became BKFC co-owner, how Dana White may react
  • MMA Mania : BKFC, The Morning After: It’s Finally Time For Perry Vs. Till
  • MMA Junkie : Alex Perez content UFC on ESPN 55 served as reminder: 'Honestly, I haven't changed'
  • Jits Magazine : BJJ Stars 12 Full Results And Review