Topic: UFC 177

UFC 177: The Worst Card Ever?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

08.29.2014 | 7:20 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 8 Winners, 0 Perfect, 330 Points   |   Tied for 363rd

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead

- your next stop, UFC 177!

So, given all the injuries and lack of depth the card had to begin with I find myself asking if this is the worst UFC card ever, at least during the Zuffa owned UFC era. I'm not asking if it's the worst PPV in the Zuffa owned era, because the answer to that is obviously yes. Is this the worst card they've produced in over a decade? I say yes.

* Edited at 08.29.2014, 7:21 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 7 hours, and 37 minutes from now.
UFC 177
  • Saturday 08.30.2014 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: Fox Sports 1
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: Sleep Train Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $700,000
  • Attendance: 11,100
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 125,000 | TV Ratings: 436,000 avg. viewers (FS1 prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 8
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
T.J. Dillashaw   defeats   Joe Soto   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Punches   2:20 Round 5 of 5, 22:20 Total Bout Page
Tony Ferguson   defeats   Danny Castillo   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Bethe Correia   defeats   Shayna Baszler   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:56 Round 2 of 3, 6:56 Total Bout Page
Diego Ferreira   defeats   Ramsey Nijem   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:53 Round 2 of 3, 6:53 Total Bout Page
Yancy Medeiros   defeats   Damon Jackson   via Submission, Reverse Bulldog Choke   1:54 Round 2 of 3, 6:54 Total Bout Page
Derek Brunson   defeats   Lorenz Larkin   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Anthony Hamilton   defeats   Ruan Potts   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:17 Round 2 of 3, 9:17 Total Bout Page
Chris Wade   defeats   Cain Carrizosa   via Submission, Arm-In Guillotine Choke   1:12 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

08.29.2014 | 8:01 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 8 Winners, 2 Perfect, 480 Points   |   8th Place

I`m not going to go back and look at all the events, but I`m fairly certain there have been worse events. It is pretty bad, though.  Bisping-Le was way better than this card and it was on Fight Pass.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

JeremyBrigham81
JeremyBrigham81
  • Predictions:  25,137  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  819
  • Post Score: 248

08.29.2014 | 9:16 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 8 Winners, 1 Perfect, 305 Points   |   Tied for 462nd

I think it is the worst card since Zuffa took over , they should make it free on fightpass after all these injuries. The only fight I'm even really interested in is Larkin Vs Brunson 
CONDIT729
CONDIT729
  • Predictions:  4,116  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,500
  • Post Score: 165

08.29.2014 | 9:21 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 8 Winners, 0 Perfect, 280 Points   |   Tied for 618th

This card is beyond awful Joe Soto has never even fought in the UFC and is getting a title shot. This is an embarrassment to the sport of MMA. UFC 177 will be lucky to get 5,000 PPV buys.

"I'm coming in your backyard and I'm gonna **** you up" -Carlos Condit

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,565
  • Post Score: 275

08.29.2014 | 9:26 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 8 Winners, 1 Perfect, 330 Points   |   Tied for 394th

I think it's the worst pay per view I can think of, in terms of being compelling from a pre-fight point of view.  Of course the UFC will trot out the argument that the cards you least expect can be the most exciting.  But that's not even remotely the same thing.

"I live, I die, I live again."

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

08.29.2014 | 9:37 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 8 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 577th

It's unfortunate for Dillashaw after making a name for himself in a big way and then having a huge rematch (even if a lot of fans thought it was a bad idea, it's a huge fight) to lose it and be stuck on what is being considered the worst card ever lol. I mean after the dominating upset win to become champ he had crazy marketability, still does... but he's stuck headlining this as his first defense.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

08.29.2014 | 9:58 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 8 Winners, 0 Perfect, 330 Points   |   Tied for 363rd

I not even pay the five dollar cover at the bar I usually go to.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Video – Alex Pereira Takes Down UFC Hall of Famer Daniel Cormier During Backstage Scuffle
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Backs Ilia Topuria’s BMF Title Demands for Max Holloway Fight: ‘He’s Right!’
  • Bad Left Hook : PREDICTIONS: Who wins Canelo vs Munguia?
  • MMA Junkie : Gilbert Burns would love to rematch Kamaru Usman: 'I was very emotional in that first fight'
  • MMA Mania : Smith Claims UFC Fans Are ‘Stupid’
  • UFC.com : Paul Craig Is Bringing 'Everything And The Kitchen Sink' To UFC 301
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA and boxing action May 3-4
  • UFC.com : Caio Borralho: “Pressure Is A Privilege”
  • MMA Mania : Aldo Vs. Martinez Betting Odds, Breakdown, Prediction
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith won’t be anyone’s stepping stone in UFC: ‘We’re going to f*cking put that to bed now’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ Fed ‘Cannibal’ Liver Shot That ‘Put Him Down’
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor a better fighter than Michael Chandler but not a better competitor
  • MMA Mania : ‘They Want Me To Go To Rio And Take A Loss’
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney releases statement on Ryan Garcia’s positive drug tests: ‘People die in this sport’
  • UFC.com : ALEXANDRE PANTOJA: HOMECOMING KING
  • Jits Magazine : Diogo Reis Reveals Striking Training And Hints At MMA Debut
  • MMA Junkie : Ex-UFC signee Sean Loeffler sentenced to prison for domestic violence
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Justin Gaethje: Rematch with Max Holloway would be ‘dream fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : P4P Top 10: Haney tumbles out, top stars take spotlight in May
  • Jits Magazine : WWE Superstar MVP Promoted To BJJ Black Belt