Topic: UFC 298

UFC 298: Volkanovski vs. Topuria

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,234
  • Post Score: 47

11.07.2023 | 10:58 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 298
  • Saturday 02.17.2024 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Honda Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $7,260,000
  • Attendance: 18,186
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Ilia Topuria   defeats   Alexander Volkanovski   via KO/TKO, Right Hook   3:32 Round 2 of 5, 8:32 Total Bout Page
Robert Whittaker   defeats   Paulo Costa   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ian Machado Garry   defeats   Geoff Neal   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Merab Dvalishvili   defeats   Henry Cejudo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Anthony Hernandez   defeats   Roman Kopylov   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:23 Round 2 of 3, 8:23 Total Bout Page
Amanda Lemos   defeats   Mackenzie Dern   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Marcos Rogério de Lima   defeats   Junior Tafa   via KO/TKO, Leg Kicks to Ground and Pound   1:14 Round 2 of 3, 6:14 Total Bout Page
Rinya Nakamura   defeats   Carlos Vera   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mingyang Zhang   defeats   Brendson Ribeiro   via KO/TKO, Punches to Hammerfists   1:41 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Danny Barlow   defeats   Josh Quinlan   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:18 Round 3 of 3, 11:18 Total Bout Page
Oban Elliott   defeats   Val Woodburn   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Miranda Maverick   defeats   Andrea Lee   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 32

Oneyecrook
Oneyecrook
  • Predictions:  441  |  64.9%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 3

02.17.2024 | 10:17 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 2880th

Lemos looks like a zombie, if Dern gets a hold of her, its over. 
ntrsbob
ntrsbob
  • Predictions:  348  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  66
  • Post Score: 200

02.17.2024 | 10:43 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 1704th

I'm not understanding the narrative that Volk is washed. His last 2 fights were against the larger number 1 pound for pound. I think he won the first and the second he literally just showed up with no camp. 

The narrative of fighters over 35 that lost title fights in 2023 also means nothing as the list includes: Figgy(Moreno beat him before 35) Josh Emmett, Usman, Henry Cejudo in his first fight in 3 years. Volk to Islam and Colby in a fight that he had no business being in. The only fighter to me that had shock losses would be Usman and even he was winning that first fight until the head kick heard around the world. 

All the guys Illa beat Volk would chew up and spit out. I don't see Illa beating Holloway right now let alone 3 times. I need to see more out of Illa to see if he can hang with the big players in the division. Also need to see how Volk looks in this fight before we ship him off to a retirement home.

I say all that to say Volk gets a late finish.

Also like Lemos KO/TKO
Merab decision. The Machine I think keeps the fight standing as he won't want to go to ground with Henry and scores enough for the win.
Oneyecrook
Oneyecrook
  • Predictions:  441  |  64.9%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 3

02.17.2024 | 10:46 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 2880th

Rebiero
Dern
Cejudo
Dogs pick
Mothswords
Mothswords
  • Predictions:  2,554  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,341
  • Post Score: 149

02.17.2024 | 10:55 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 645 Points   |   Tied for 894th

Lemos was walking like a 75 year old at the faceoffs last night. She still looked dehydrated. That pick worries me. I'm feeling a 5-7 record for tonight 
Olieworstelaar69
Olieworstelaar69
  • Predictions:  77  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 100

02.17.2024 | 11:00 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 5524th

Nakamura vs. Vera
Rinya Nakamura, TKO, R1
ook

el_guapo
el_guapo
  • Predictions:  212  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  603
  • Post Score: 107

02.17.2024 | 11:11 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 665 Points   |   Tied for 672nd

@AyyLmaonnaise 
if that info on Cejudo is true, he is gonna have a rough time against Merab

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Alexander Volkanovski"

el_guapo
el_guapo
  • Predictions:  212  |  66.0%
  • Forum Posts:  603
  • Post Score: 107

02.17.2024 | 11:14 AM ET

I feel as if you gotta be near to 100% to withstand that kind of pressure

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. - Alexander Volkanovski"

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,071  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,045
  • Post Score: 137

02.17.2024 | 11:28 AM ET

obligatory

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 765 Points   |   Tied for 114th

Muhannad_Abstract
Muhannad_Abstract
  • Predictions:  4  |  50.0%
  • Post Score: -300

02.17.2024 | 11:35 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 2 of 4 Winners, 2 Perfect, 175 Points   |   Tied for 6509th

Volkanovski vs. Topuria
Ilia Topuria, TKO, R2
Alex is the better fighter, but his chin was soften a few months ago.

Whittaker vs. Costa
Robert Whittaker, DEC
Rob is always better after a loss. He will destroy Costa's lead leg and will outlast him. Costa doesn't belong to the top five.

Neal vs. Machado Garry
Geoff Neal, TKO, R1
Please Neal!

Dvalishvili vs. Cejudo
Henry Cejudo, TKO, R2
Henry does well against predictable fighters. Merab shoots too much and Yan didn't take advantage. Henry might meet him with a knee.

GoatChael
GoatChael
  • Predictions:  316  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  184
  • Post Score: 154

02.17.2024 | 11:37 AM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 7 Perfect, 805 Points   |   Tied for 45th with 11 others

Another thing about Merab vs Cejudo that isn‘t talked about enough in my opinion is the different styles of wrestling. When people say Cejudo has the better wrestling they are technically right because in a wrestling match an olympic gold medaillist in Cejudo would definitely beat Merab. But MMA wrestling is different to greco-roman or freestyle wrestling and I think Merabs MMA wrestling isn‘t that far apart from Cejudo‘s if not maybe even.
ntrsbob
ntrsbob
  • Predictions:  348  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  66
  • Post Score: 200

02.17.2024 | 11:48 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 1704th

Val Woodburn KO RD 1

My dawg pick of the night. He had the balls to take the short notice against Bo. I remember watching that fight and thinking this dude is throwing bombs and was scared he was gonna catch Bo. I'll take a shot on this heavy hitter with a full camp.
Rumble1026
Rumble1026
  • Predictions:  3,185  |  70.2%
  • Forum Posts:  107
  • Post Score: 141

02.17.2024 | 11:50 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Dvalishvili vs. Cejudo
Merab Dvalishvili, DEC
Pace, Pressure, and pursuit is going to be the X factors here for Merab to get the victory here. Skill wise, Triple C has better weapons on the standup, but the inactivity has hindered his ability to get the finish. I don't feel that Merab will throw anything Cejudo can't handle. But I feel he will look the more conditioned and have the activity that sways the judges if this fight goes to a decision, which I think it will.

"What an excellent day for combat."

Rumble1026
Rumble1026

02.17.2024 | 12:01 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Neal vs. Machado Garry
Ian Machado Garry, DEC
Wouldn't mind seeing Garry humbled. Not sure if Neal is the one to get it done. I feel if anyone is going to challenge Garry, it' going to be with grappling. I am interested to see how Garry instantly reacts to Neal's power when he get ls hit. Neal doesn't need to get takedowns either he can land damage from the clinch. I expect Garry to be able to use his long rangy attack and frustrate Neal and get the decision.

lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,952  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,377
  • Post Score: 40

02.17.2024 | 12:30 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 7 Perfect, 715 Points   |   Tied for 291st

Volkanovski vs. Topuria
Alexander Volkanovski, DEC
ilia could make his mark early, but overextension is gonna leave him open if it's not flush landings and i gotta think volk is prepared to weather the r1 r2 storm and try to drag it into deep waters after.

Whittaker vs. Costa
Robert Whittaker, DEC
feeling like costa is gonna wait around for whittaker to engage him in the pocket and that may just never happen.

Neal vs. Machado Garry
Ian Machado Garry, DEC
i'd be okay being wrong here, but i think garry's volume will keep geoff from being the aggressor.

Dvalishvili vs. Cejudo
Merab Dvalishvili, DEC
a couple years ago, henry had enough of a striking advantage to take advantage of merab's tough-man defense, but with the retirement talk and merab's exposure to superior strikers over the past few years i think he has the tools to win on volume if the wrestling exchanges get neutralized. would love to see how that plays out on the mat though.

Hernandez vs. Kopylov
Anthony Hernandez, SUB, R2
kopylov figures to have the striking advantage, but i'm not sure fluffy will allow him the space.

Lemos vs. Dern
Amanda Lemos, DEC
this fight will come down to how wild lemos lets herself get. i'll say she understands the dangerzone in front of her and takes a boxing approach.

Rogério de Lima vs. Tafa
Marcos Rogério de Lima, DEC
the nimbler tafa can definitely catch de lima early, but the extreme short notice will probably play a factor in terms of cardio if he can't consistently use his footwork to stop pezao from crashing forward into clinch range.

Nakamura vs. Vera
Rinya Nakamura, TKO, R2
late notice and bad stylistic matchup for vera, he's gonna have to keep mobile and land something significant early to stop rinya's forward pressure and avoid the clinch. just not sure i see it happening.

Zhang vs. Ribeiro
Brendson Ribeiro, TKO, R1
zhang is coming off what seems like a quality win, but previous competition has been questionable. ribeiro has at least been fighting guys with experience and positive records so i'll take a chance here.

Quinlan vs. Barlow
Danny Barlow, TKO, R1
not sure what to make of either, but i don't really weight the witt win very high so i'll just take barlow. he's the rangier fighter, coming off a ko win, and his last opponent had been fighting guys with positive records.

Woodburn vs. Elliott
Oban Elliott, DEC
val's best wins are over a 40 year old man on a losing streak and a guy who was fighting rookies, even at a more natural weight of 170 i'm gonna have to see a lot from him before having any confidence.

Lee vs. Maverick
Miranda Maverick, DEC
andrea probably has a big striking advantage so it's gonna be a question of how often maverick can take her down. if it's just once or twice then andrea could pull ahead on volume, but miranda has only lost via decision and lee has lost the last 6 decisions she has been to. enough of an edge for me.

BNASTY
BNASTY
  • Predictions:  243  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  27
  • Post Score: -307

02.17.2024 | 12:40 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 2633rd

Volkanovski vs. Topuria
Alexander Volkanovski, TKO, R4
I'M SORRY BUT ILIA IS GONNA HAVE TO SHOW ME FIRST. VOLK IS STILL VOLK UNTIL HE AINT IN MY BOOK, I SEE ILIA NOSE BROKEN IN THE FIRST, WRESTLING IN THE SECOND, BEAT ON IN THE THIRD FINISHED IN THE FOURTH AND THE LEGEND GROWS. ALSO VOLK BEAT ISLAM IN THE FIRST FIGHT.

Whittaker vs. Costa
Paulo Costa, TKO, R2
PLEASE COSTA CAN WE PUT AN END TO WHITTAKER. POSSIBLE CLUB AND SUB FROM COSTA.

Neal vs. Machado Garry
Geoff Neal, TKO, R2
IAN IS GONNA BE ON HIS BIKE AND WIN THIS FIGHT, THE PICK IS ON PRINCIPLE. I'M NEVER PICKING A GUY WHO TOOK HIS GIRLS LAST NAME IN MARRIAGE, CAN'T DO IT.

Dvalishvili vs. Cejudo
Merab Dvalishvili, DEC
I THINK HENRY IS GONNA WIN THIS FIGHT

Hernandez vs. Kopylov
Anthony Hernandez, TKO, R3
FLUFFY SHOULD WIN BECAUSE ROMAN GOT SUBBED BY ROBERSON AFTER AN EYE POKE IN THE 3RD ROUND. FLUFFY IS GONNA CLOSE THE DISTANCE AND DO WHAT HE DOES.

Lemos vs. Dern
Amanda Lemos, TKO, R1
LEMOS PUNCHES LIKE A MAN DUH AND DERN HOLDS HER HEAD UP LIKE THE CHICKS ON PH WHO AINT NEVER SCARED OF A FACIAL. ALL THAT SAID DERN CAN STILL GET THE DUB IF SHE CAN AVOID THE MONEY SHOT.

Rogério de Lima vs. Tafa
Junior Tafa, TKO, R2
I LIKE THE TAFA BROTHERS SO I'M GONNA ROCK WITH THEM ALMOST ANY FIGHT THEY HAVE. JUNIOR IS LEGIT, GLORY KICKBOXING REPRESENT.

Nakamura vs. Vera
Rinya Nakamura, TKO, R1
YUP NAKAMURA IS GONNA DO VERA DIRTY BUT I'M HAPPY VERA GETS A CHANCE IN THE UFC. I WOULD TAKE HIM OVER KATONA ANY DAY, BUT THIS KID IS LEGIT. I SEE AN OVER SWING BY VERA TO GET SOME SPACE THEN A RETURN FIRE SHOT INTO A TAKEDOWN INTO GROUND AND POUND.

Zhang vs. Ribeiro
Mingyang Zhang, TKO, R1
BOTH OF THESE DUDES ARE BANGERS BOTH BLOCK PUNCHES WITH THEIR FACE ZHANG THROWS STRAIGHT AND CLOSES DISTANCE SO THOSE HOOKS WON'T BE THERE FOR RIBEIRO. EXCITING FIGHT.

Quinlan vs. Barlow
Danny Barlow, TKO, R2
JOSH IS ON THE SAUCE AND HE KINDA SUCKS REGARDLESS. I THINK THEY NEED TO CHECK DANNYS GLOVES BECAUSE THE LOOK ON PEOPLES FACES WHEN HE HITS THEM SEEMS SUS. DANNY FOR THE KNOCKOUT IN THE SECOND SO I CAN HIT MY 2/3 FAN DUEL BET BUT THAT STRAIGHT LEFT IS LIKE A MELATONIN OVERDOSE WHENEVER HITS PEOPLE WITH IT.

Woodburn vs. Elliott
Oban Elliott, DEC
I REALLY SEE VAL WINNING THIS FIGHT, ELLIOT IS FERNIE AT WELTER WEIGHT. LOOKS GOOD IN THE FIRST ROUND THEN THE BUM KICKS IN. CHAEL IS AT THE FIGHT SO HE BETTER WIN OR JUST GET CUT.

Lee vs. Maverick
Miranda Maverick, DEC
THE JUDGES DON'T LIKE EITHER OF THESE GIRLS BUT I THINK THEY LIKE MAVERICK MORE. AS LONG AS MAVERICK ISN'T ON HER FEET FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME THEN SHE'LL WILL WIN. BY EXTENDED TIME I MEAN 2 MINUTES, HER STRIKING IS TRASH AND LEE IS A BANGER HATE TO SEE HER GET KNOCKED OUT IN THE FIRST.

Rumble1026
Rumble1026

02.17.2024 | 12:48 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Whittaker vs. Costa
Robert Whittaker, DEC
This matchup would have intrigued me more a couple years ago but still a fun scrap. Both fighters are relatively young compared to their MMA tenure. Whittaker has used a technical striking approach mixed in with grappling to find success. Costa relied mainly on landing power shots and constant pressure to crumble his opponents. Both have had their share of setbacks as of late. Whittakers chin hasn't held up too great as of late which raises concern regarding the power of Costa. Costa for as powerful as he is, has decent volume, but hasn't translated into a stoppage since 2018 against Uriah Hall. He seemed to land heavy on Rockhold but a little confused how to find his way to the finish. Both fighters seemed to reach their peak in terms of technical growth. I really haven't seen Costa's ground game ever evolve. Costa just seems too one dimensional at this point. I think Whittaker can use his footwork and pace to stifle Costa, stop Costa from gaining any momentum. Bobby Knuckles in a close one here.

jefferson99
jefferson99
  • Predictions:  1,964  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  53
  • Post Score: -4

02.17.2024 | 12:50 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 7 Perfect, 780 Points   |   Tied for 83rd

Volkanovski vs. Topuria
Alexander Volkanovski, DEC
Esta pode muito bem ser uma das lutas mais difíceis de todos os tempos no peso-pena para Volkanovski.

jefferson99
jefferson99

02.17.2024 | 12:52 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Whittaker vs. Costa
Robert Whittaker, DEC
Whittaker tem as ferramentas de ataque para levar a melhor sobre a abordagem de força bruta de Costa ao longo de três rounds, para assim ganhar uma vitória na decisão.

Neal vs. Machado Garry
Ian Machado Garry, DEC
Garry vai se utilizar bem da envergadura enquanto se afasta das bombas de seu oponente para vencer nos pontos.

jefferson99
jefferson99

02.17.2024 | 1:03 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Dvalishvili vs. Cejudo
Merab Dvalishvili, DEC
Merab vai estabelecer um ritmo que será muito difícil para um lutador de 37 anos com apenas uma luta nos últimos quatro anos acompanhar.

Hernandez vs. Kopylov
Anthony Hernandez, TKO, R2
O ritmo, a pressão e as constantes ameaças de quedas de Hernández podem ser um verdadeiro espinho na carne de Kopylov.

Lemos vs. Dern
Amanda Lemos, TKO, R1
No final, Dern cai para 1-2 no UFC contra Amanda, depois de ser atingida por alguma mão direita.

Rogério de Lima vs. Tafa
Marcos Rogério de Lima, TKO, R1
Em suma, de Lima empurra Tafa para o chão nos minutos iniciais e o nocauteia a partir daí.

Nakamura vs. Vera
Rinya Nakamura, DEC
Nakamura pressiona Vera contra a grade ou o tritura com quedas para uma vitória fácil.

Zhang vs. Ribeiro
Mingyang Zhang, TKO, R1
Zhang acerta uma mão direita nos minutos iniciais.

Quinlan vs. Barlow
Danny Barlow, DEC
No final, Barlow usa a trocação para alcançar uma vitória dominante.

Woodburn vs. Elliott
Oban Elliott, DEC
Em suma, Elliott o supera por uma vitória unilateral.

Lee vs. Maverick
Miranda Maverick, DEC
Maverick usa sua luta agarrada para alcançar sua segunda vitória consecutiva.

Propikz
Propikz
  • Predictions:  29  |  41.4%
  • Post Score: -400

02.17.2024 | 1:07 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 215 Points   |   Tied for 6317th

Lee vs. Maverick
Andrea Lee, DEC
Money and underdogs. Good luck everyone. Volkanovski returns.

Page 32

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Women’s Under 65kg Division Fills Up With All Invites Announced For ADCC 2024
  • UFC.com : Joaquin Buckley And His Return To St. Louis
  • Bad Left Hook : Sims signs with Golden Boy Promotions
  • MMA Junkie : Benoit Saint Denis: Islam Makhachev favored at UFC 302, but 'nobody can give Dustin Poirier no chance'
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal boxing match moving to new date and location
  • MMAFighting.com : Derrick Lewis redeems himself with first pitch at Cardinals game
  • UFC.com : Where We Stand: Flyweight Division | May 2024
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champ Alex Pereira donates $100,000 in response to Brazil floods, plans additional $20,000
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC Vegas 92 Fight Card, ESPN+ Lineup
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith explains why he declined new fight offer immediately after UFC 301 win
  • MMAFighting.com : MMA community rallies after unprecedented floods leave hundreds of cities underwater in Brazil
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia’s Latest Drug Test Result Clears Him Of Nandrolone Use For Devin Haney Fight
  • MMA Junkie : NYSAC executive director Kim Sumbler resigns from position
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Terrance McKinney, Alexandre Pantoja, UFC 301 Recap
  • MMA Mania : Running Makhachev Demolishes Punch Machine
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul Vows To ‘End’ Mike Tyson: ‘One Of Us Has To Die’
  • MMA Junkie : Jan Blachowicz campaigns for rematch with UFC champ Alex Pereira: 'He knocked out everybody – not me'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Every serious boxing fan will be watching in awe’: Bob Arum targets Lomachenko vs Stevenson this fall
  • Middle Easy : Movsar Evloev Says Dana White Criticized His UFC 297 Performance But Was Watching NFL During The Fight
  • MMAFighting.com : ESPN+ subscribers drop again ahead of UFC broadcast deal negotiations