Topic: UFC 180

UFC 180: Werdum vs. Hunt Discussion Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.14.2014 | 6:15 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 315 Points   |   Tied for 770th

The fighters are weighed in and we're good to go for Saturday night. 

UFC Fight Pass prelims kick off at 7pm ET followed by FS1 Prelims at 8pm then the PPV main card at 10pm. 

Enjoy!

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

UFC 180
  • Saturday 11.15.2014 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: Fox Sports 1
  • Name: UFC 180: Werdum vs. Hunt
  • Also Known As: The Ultimate Fighter Latin America Season 1 Finale
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Zuffa, LLC
  • Venue: Arena Ciudad de Mexico
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Mike Goldberg, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Attendance: 21,000
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 190,000 | TV Ratings: 664,000 avg. viewers (FS1 prelims, 771k peak)
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Fabrício Werdum   defeats   Mark Hunt   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee and Ground and Pound   2:27 Round 2 of 5, 7:27 Total Bout Page
Kelvin Gastelum   defeats   Jake Ellenberger   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:46 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ricardo Lamas   defeats   Dennis Bermudez   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   3:18 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Augusto Montaño   defeats   Chris Heatherly   via KO/TKO, Knees   4:50 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Hector Urbina   defeats   Edgar Garcia   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   3:38 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Yair Rodriguez   defeats   Leonardo Morales   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alejandro Perez   defeats   Jose Alberto Quiñonez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jessica Eye   defeats   Leslie Smith   via KO/TKO, Doctor Stoppage (ear)   1:30 Round 2 of 3, 6:30 Total Bout Page
Gabriel Benítez   defeats   Humberto Brown Morrison   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   0:30 Round 3 of 3, 10:30 Total Bout Page
Henry Briones   defeats   Guido Cannetti   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:44 Round 2 of 3, 6:44 Total Bout Page
Marco Beltran   defeats   Marlon Vera   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 17

Lopati
Lopati
  • Predictions:  18,574  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  13,352
  • Post Score: 179

11.16.2014 | 1:39 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 265 Points   |   Tied for 992nd

**** picking UFC. I **** the bed more on these ************* cards than any others!! 

"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. If one were to present the sportsman with the death of the animal as a gift he would refuse it." Jose Ortega y Gasset

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,515  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

11.16.2014 | 1:47 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 272nd

Shame Rogan cut Werdum off he was just getting ready to deliver his post fight interview in Chinese and Yiddish too :D

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

TheTnuggs
TheTnuggs
  • Predictions:  2,963  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  667
  • Post Score: 197

11.16.2014 | 4:39 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 664th

i dont know whats going on in this thread anymore but i agree with anik because hes Canadian

"As swift as wind, as silent as forest, as fierce as fire, as unshakeable as mountain"

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA
  • Predictions:  278  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  712
  • Post Score: 145

11.16.2014 | 9:19 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 328th

Man I have been saying Werdum beats Cain for a long time now. If the Werdum that fought last night shows up I think he loses. He didn't circle at all and constantly backed straight up. That will get him smothered against Cain. Although there is always the chance for that knee. Great finish for him.

Jessica Eye looked great....but dam that was nasty.
BlackMetalCarson
BlackMetalCarson
  • Predictions:  101  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 228

11.16.2014 | 5:55 PM ET

I personally believe after seeing that fight that Cain will beat Werdum. I saw that Werdum had trouble trying to submit Hunt. I wonder if that is more that Hunt's ground game has improved or if Werdum was just having a bad night. Either way, I see Cain defeating Werdum if/when they fight.

"If you assume that you have an edge here, or you’re gonna dominate me there…you better think again man, or I’m coming in your backyard and I’m gonna **** you up." - Carlos Condit

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA

11.16.2014 | 6:13 PM ET

I think it had more to do with Hunt not really moving while on the ground cause he didn't want to expose a limb. I was thinking how tough it would be to grapple a dude as thick as Hunt. I went from confident Werdum would win, to pretty nervous. Can't wait.

Welcome aboard BMC

* Edited at 11.16.2014, 6:13 PM ET *

BlackMetalCarson
BlackMetalCarson
  • Predictions:  101  |  52.5%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 228

11.16.2014 | 6:19 PM ET

Thank you good sir. I've been wondering about Cain/Werdum for awhile, honestly, Cain is my favorite HW ever, BUT Werdum is no slouch. I've said for a long time that Werdum cannot be underestimated and last night proved just that. I surely did not expect a TKO from Werdum. I was rooting for Hunt but great effort from both guys. Werdum was impressive last night and I will be on the edge of my seat when he fights Cain.

"If you assume that you have an edge here, or you’re gonna dominate me there…you better think again man, or I’m coming in your backyard and I’m gonna **** you up." - Carlos Condit

slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

11.16.2014 | 6:28 PM ET

Predictions: 2 of 4 Winners, 0 Perfect, 100 Points   |   Tied for 1187th

Hunt was never in danger on the ground because he had Werdum's head smashed into the cage. No room to create space from the bottom means you'll never get a sub. I thought it was really stupid Rogan kept talking like Hunt was about to get subbed with Werdum crammed between the mat and the cage. The altitude seemed like it was affecting Hunt badly to me, though. He looked tired as hell the whole way through the second. But yeah, I feel like Werdum would stand zero chance against Cain, to be honest.

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

theMMAmessiah
theMMAmessiah
  • Predictions:  7,993  |  66.5%
  • Forum Posts:  8,433
  • Post Score: 103

11.16.2014 | 6:50 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 553rd

You guys do realize you're talking about a guy who ran away from Overeem for 3 rounds, and got absolutely starched by JDS in seconds. Werdum has about as much chance against Cain Velasquez that Justin McCully has.
jaykool777
jaykool777
  • Predictions:  25,528  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  3,654
  • Post Score: 158

11.16.2014 | 8:15 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 473rd

Hunt got caught, prior to Hunt getting caught, Werdum looked like the same fighter that lost to Overeem, Arlovski, and JDS. When Werdum faces Cain, Cain is going to make very short work of Werdum. 3 reasons..............

#1. Werdum can't handle the pace that Cain sets. Cain doesn't just have good cardio for a HW, but damn good cardio as a mixed martial artist period. Werdum will not be able to keep with Cain.

#2. Unlike many fighters that Werdum has baited with falling to ground and acting hurt, Cain is far too patient and intelligent to chase Werdum directly to the ground. Case and point, look at what Cain did to Brock Lesnar and Big Nog. Against Lesnar, Cain didn't make the same mistake that Carwin did in the fight prior. Against Big Nog, he didn't make the same mistakes as Tim Sylvia.

#3. Watching what Hunt did to Werdum last night, Cain is a much more athletic and faster fighter than Hunt. You add the strength that Cain has, and I think that Werdum will not be able to hang with Cain anywhere the fight goes.

"Keep it punk rock!!!!"

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA

11.16.2014 | 8:32 PM ET

"Hunt got caught, prior to Hunt getting caught"

Mind = Blown

lol
ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

11.16.2014 | 10:06 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 412th

Just got the fight now... Wow! great fight, not entirely what I expected but that was awesome stuff from both guys.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

ED209
ED209
  • Predictions:  7,297  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  3,437
  • Post Score: 213

11.16.2014 | 10:17 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 412th

I think that Werdum has a chance at beating Cain. Not saying that I really think he will if and when they fight but he seems to be constantly improving and I would hold some hope and faith that he can sub Cain or even wear him down with his fancy kick boxing and pick him apart.

But realistically I doubt he stops the relentless take downs, but even though Cain made JDS his ***** standing and JDS is generally considered a way better striker I don't think he'd beat the balls off of Fabricio quite like that.

"30-26 Tim Boetsch"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.16.2014 | 11:32 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 370 Points   |   Tied for 527th

it is much different than with dos Santos because he was afraid of being taken down Werdum will not be

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

p4pgoat
p4pgoat
  • Predictions:  4,888  |  62.9%
  • Forum Posts:  3,908
  • Post Score: 143

11.16.2014 | 11:33 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 210th

Not only is Werdum not afraid of being taken down he probably prefers it!

"We are all human, it's time to prove it."

CthulhuJones
CthulhuJones
  • Predictions:  40,133  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,674
  • Post Score: 286

11.17.2014 | 12:29 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 455 Points   |   Tied for 107th

Mark Hunt took him down and hung out is in his guard for the majority of the first round and was never once in danger of being subbed. I don't think Werdum wants Cain on top of him in the least personally.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 5 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 2 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
legacyofmisfortune
legacyofmisfortune
  • Predictions:  14,159  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,349
  • Post Score: 240

11.17.2014 | 12:50 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 520 Points   |   Tied for 20th with 1 other

Just fonoshed watching the card, great set of fights, there was a better MMA level than I expected from the Mexican/latin guys, they put on a good show, hats off to them the crowd seemed happy and they behave  in a decent manner so i guess that's good.  Werdum look like **** all the first round, he looked a bit mor relaxed in the second rd, that worked for him, Hunt looked tired I believe  that if the fight had been someplace else (lees altitude) he probably would've take it. Gastelum and Eye stole the night, both put on amazing performances. Although Gastelum still has some holes he definitely looks like contender material.

the card was better than I expected, the crowd looked happy that's a win for the UFC, well done.

"he is going to the hospital, and im going to the after party, ha ha ha" Nate Diaz

AllHailKrull
AllHailKrull
  • Predictions:  1,522  |  61.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,672
  • Post Score: 180

11.17.2014 | 7:19 AM ET

Predictions: 1 of 4 Winners, 0 Perfect, 50 Points   |   Tied for 1245th

Werdum's turn around is the greatest in the history of MMA. especially as a BJJ guy, no jui jitsu guy or anyone his age has ever evolved like him.

He still has serious flaws against Cain though.

His striking is great against slow and immobile fighters but he abandons any of it once someone pressures him and comes forward. he goes for the takedown or simply puts his head down. Hunts usual gameplan of slowly stalking and then eventually exploding with a leaping left hook folloed by a right straight/overhand shut the striking down of Fabricio outside of a few leg kicks.

His jui jitsu isn't god tier like his fans have you believe either. he couldn't sub a badly gassed Browne and did nothing against Hunt or Overeem in his guard. but he subbed Fedor so that must mean he automatically locks up a sub once it hits the ground. 

Cain is going to be in his face constantly, punching it and Werdum will resort to buttscooting. I'd bet the life of my family that Cain absolutely crushes him.

Werdum is pretty much in the same position as JDS, except instead of being the definitive #2 guy, he's the #3 guy.

"People say ‘oh, so you should retire.’ Yeah, you want me to retire so you won’t get knocked out. - Vitor Belfort"

FantasyMMA
FantasyMMA

11.17.2014 | 8:15 AM ET

@AllHailKrull

I agree with that striking assessment. I have seen Werdum circle, but in the Hunt fight he abandoned everything good about his striking and if he does that with Cain he is in a world of trouble.

As for his BJJ though it is the best in the division. Does he sub everyone he goes to the ground with instantly? Nope. But that is not what true BJJ is about anyway. The biggest strength of his BJJ game is that no one can do anything against him on the ground. He submitted Fedor but didn't submit Browne or Hunt. This isn't because Browne and Hunt are better than Fedor but because they didn't try much against him and just kind of sat there trying to not get submitted. Fedor went on the attack and paid the price. I really wonder how well Cain will do. He is a monster on the ground so it will be interesting.

The key to me will be if Werdum remembers to circle or not. If he doesn't then Cain should walk through him. If he remembers to circle and not brawl with Cain then Werdum gets the advantage. Can't wait.
slamdistraction
slamdistraction
  • Predictions:  702  |  61.0%
  • Forum Posts:  249
  • Post Score: 117

11.17.2014 | 8:43 AM ET

Predictions: 2 of 4 Winners, 0 Perfect, 100 Points   |   Tied for 1187th

Well, Werdum's striking style is all offense. He basically has no defense or footwork, he just plods then unloads. He couldn't do that against Hunt because he figured out early on he was gonna get countered into unconsciousness, which is really how I saw the fight ending, to be honest. He won't be able to get away from Cain's pressure, his hope of being able to circle out and pick Cain apart from the outside is exactly zero. And as soon as Cain gets a hand on him, he'll be on the fence. And Cain don't get subbed.

"Beating people up is a positive thing –Tank Abbott"

Page 17

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Jon Jones Passes on Tom Aspinall, Eyes Historic Showdown with Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC 301 Ceremonial Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : 'Honored' Alex Pereira loves Jon Jones fight pitch, but needs UFC green light for heavyweight shift
  • UFC.com : Ismael Bonfim Is Looking To Impress
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor warns Ryan Garcia to get his head right: ‘I’m going to smash it in with elbows if you don’t,’ Garcia responds
  • UFC.com : José Aldo: A Homecoming Fit For A King
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 'Embedded,' No. 5: Nightswimming deserves a quiet night with Karolina Kowalkiewicz
  • UFC.com : Iasmin Lucindo Is Ready To Start Building Her Own Legacy
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Canelo Vs Munguia Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia weigh-in video at 3 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : Jonathan Martinez questions Jose Aldo's motivation in UFC return: 'I don't think he wants to be here'
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo agreed to box on Paul vs. Tyson card before taking UFC 301 fight, interested in Manny Pacquiao match
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul says Mike Tyson the one who requested a professional bout: 'I'm going to f*cking put him down'
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul Ready to Embrace the Backlash He’ll Receive by KO’ing Mike Tyson: ‘I’m Going to F*cking Put Him Down’
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Predictions, Main Card Preview And Betting Lines
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor 'disgusted' by Ryan Garcia's positive drug test: 'Get your head together or kill yourself'
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Has there been a UFC pay-per-view with less buzz than UFC 301?
  • Jits Magazine : Four Former Trials Winners Given Invites To ADCC 2024
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Hopes to ‘Finish His Story’ at UFC 302 with a Lightweight Title Victory Over Islam Makhachev