Topic: UFC 298

UFC 298: Volkanovski vs. Topuria

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,214
  • Post Score: 47

11.07.2023 | 10:58 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 298
  • Saturday 02.17.2024 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Honda Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $7,260,000
  • Attendance: 18,186
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Ilia Topuria   defeats   Alexander Volkanovski   via KO/TKO, Right Hook   3:32 Round 2 of 5, 8:32 Total Bout Page
Robert Whittaker   defeats   Paulo Costa   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ian Machado Garry   defeats   Geoff Neal   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Merab Dvalishvili   defeats   Henry Cejudo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Anthony Hernandez   defeats   Roman Kopylov   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:23 Round 2 of 3, 8:23 Total Bout Page
Amanda Lemos   defeats   Mackenzie Dern   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Marcos Rogério de Lima   defeats   Junior Tafa   via KO/TKO, Leg Kicks to Ground and Pound   1:14 Round 2 of 3, 6:14 Total Bout Page
Rinya Nakamura   defeats   Carlos Vera   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mingyang Zhang   defeats   Brendson Ribeiro   via KO/TKO, Punches to Hammerfists   1:41 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Danny Barlow   defeats   Josh Quinlan   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:18 Round 3 of 3, 11:18 Total Bout Page
Oban Elliott   defeats   Val Woodburn   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Miranda Maverick   defeats   Andrea Lee   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 24

SANGRES
SANGRES
  • Predictions:  152  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 61

02.16.2024 | 5:20 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 7 Perfect, 690 Points   |   Tied for 526th

@umbert 
I don’t think that’s the official layout of the card, I mean, I think he organized it a couple weeks ago into the order we see today

"Every animal has a different bite" - Benjamin Esparza

GoatChael
GoatChael
  • Predictions:  316  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  184
  • Post Score: 153

02.16.2024 | 5:25 AM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 7 Perfect, 805 Points   |   Tied for 45th with 11 others

@depmode33 
I kinda have the same feeling, it‘s weird and I can‘t say why. Like @LandonRights said, the Whittaker pick just feels too obvious. But I picked him anyways because it just doesn‘t make sense to me that Costa would beat Whittaker when his last impressive performance was almost five years ago and he couldn‘t manage to KO Luke Rockhold who has a worse chin than Whittaker
GoatChael
GoatChael
  • Predictions:  316  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  184
  • Post Score: 153

02.16.2024 | 5:27 AM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 7 Perfect, 805 Points   |   Tied for 45th with 11 others

@umbert 
the order on tapology is the correct order. You can also double check on the UFC website or Fight Pass
Kermit
Kermit
  • Predictions:  1,075  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  599
  • Post Score: 159

02.16.2024 | 6:51 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Alexander Volkanovskivs.Ilia Topuria
Volk, Decision
I've liked Volk the more I've thought about this one. He has the perfect style to beat Topuria - straight shots to keep Topuria at a distance and a position over submission ground game coupled with relentless ground & pound when it hits the mat. Not to mention the vast experience advantage. Topuria's looked like a beast but who's he really fought? He won a decision against Emmett after Yair ran through Emmett in 2 rounds. Volk battered Max on the feet and hung with Islam on the ground for 5 rounds. Chubby, drunk Volk on a weeks notice fighting in Saudi got head kicked. I'm gonna ignore it. Topruia has been rushed to the belt to give Volk a challenge, the UFC weren't confident in the Max, Yair or Evloev gauntlet

Robert Whittakervs.Paulo Costa
Whitakker, Decision
Paulo couldn't finish Rockhold in 2023 so why would I believe he can finish Whittaker? Dricus is a beast as it turns out. Whitakker demoralised Marvin who beat Paulo with a 30lbs advantage. I know we shouldn't MMA math but that's quite good MMA math. I'm not ready to give up on Whitakker over one KO and I haven't seen Paulo KO anyone in half a decade... But he's tough to finish too. So Whitakker by decision.

Geoff Nealvs.Ian Machado Garry
Garry, Decision
If Garry can stay off the fence he'll touch Neal for 3 rounds to a safe decision. He knows damn well if he gets caught along the fence he could be in for a walloping so he'll make this dull and safe, which is what he needs to do.

Merab Dvalishvilivs.Henry Cejudo 
Merab, Decision
Turns out I foresee a lot of decisions. Merab is like Aljo with better wrestling and a faster pace. Not sure how that helps Henry? Merab will shoot and shoot and shoot, so unless Henry chins Merab - which I doubt, then we all know how this goes. 
weeit
weeit
  • Predictions:  286  |  68.9%
  • Forum Posts:  442
  • Post Score: 29

02.16.2024 | 8:21 AM ET

Predictions: 2 of 2 Winners, 2 Perfect, 175 Points   |   Tied for 6509th

In hindsight this card will probably be very obvious but I could see almost every fight going either way.
Rumble1026
Rumble1026
  • Predictions:  3,185  |  70.2%
  • Forum Posts:  107
  • Post Score: 141

02.16.2024 | 9:07 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 665 Points   |   Tied for 672nd

@pashaboyer 
Fair to point out that Tafa doesn't have the best of cardio. I don't see this being a high-volume striking contest. Pezao definitely the more experienced of grapplers but uses his grappling more for position rather than landing damage. I agree in Tafa's career, he will have to rely mainly on his power shots to stop the fight but not necessarily for this one. De Lima's strike volume is rather abysmal even in clinch and ground scenarios doesn't really use it well. If Tafa can use decent footwork to stay off the cage and keep De Lima in space, he will be able to land damage. His strike volume won't be great but definitely would see more output on the feet than Pezao. 

"What an excellent day for combat."

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,152  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,214
  • Post Score: 88

02.16.2024 | 9:11 AM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 6 Perfect, 790 Points   |   Tied for 66th

De Lima has very bad cardio too. Only 8-9 minutes and then he gets very tired. I could see him winning two rounds but I don’t think tafa is going to let him survive round 3. 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

Spoopedee
Spoopedee
  • Predictions:  1,536  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 300

02.16.2024 | 9:34 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 8 Perfect, 855 Points   |   10th Place

Volkanovski vs. Topuria
Ilia Topuria, TKO, R2
I think it it wasn't for Volk's last performance, I'd pick him. Sure, it was at lightweight on short notice, but the quick turnaround combined with his age have me worried. Topuria's confidence is absolutely peaking, and he's likely got the speed and power advantage, and he'll likely just try to ignore Volk's genuinely clever striking setups to power through with his own offense. That might be enough for this version of Volk. Hope I'm wrong, but I think Topuria sparks a more cautious Volk after a competitive first round.

Whittaker vs. Costa
Robert Whittaker, DEC
I think Bobby Knuckles is on the decline, but Costa hasn't looked good since 2019. Even in their primes I think Costa would really struggle with Whittaker's jab and range game. Another decision win for my boy Whittaker IMO.

Neal vs. Machado Garry
Geoff Neal, TKO, R3
Kind of a vibe pick, but Neal is at his best when he feels he's being disrespected. The whole Garry drama is stupid but it seems like it's gotten to him a bit. Thinking/hoping Neal can create longer exchanges and spark Garry when he loses focus.

Dvalishvili vs. Cejudo
Merab Dvalishvili, DEC
Merab's performance against Yan is still one of the most impressive I've ever seen on a physical level. Cejudo is better everywhere on a technical level, but he's 37 and he's never been a super dominant MMA wrestler. Think Merab just never let's him get going and is passed over for a title shot after another decision win.

Hernandez vs. Kopylov
Anthony Hernandez, SUB, R3
Really like both these guys, but I feel Kopylov's previous losses are more damning. He's a slow starter, and he hasn't really faced any committed wrestlers during his current streak. Against a pressure fighter like Hernandez, that seems like a recipe for disaster.

Lemos vs. Dern
Amanda Lemos, TKO, R2
Dern's wrestling is still mostly brute strength, and she isn't gonna outmuscle Lemos. Lemos isn't that great anywhere outside of her physicality, but if you're a better athlete than Dern you'll probably beat her if you don't jump into her guard.

Rogério de Lima vs. Tafa
Marcos Rogério de Lima, TKO, R1
Really hope this one's over in the first round because if not, this is gonna be awful.

Tosh
Tosh
  • Predictions:  9,864  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,136
  • Post Score: 180

02.16.2024 | 10:09 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 3089th

@gliese58i 
still laughing over "hi everybody I'm new to Tap" ha you're on your game

"He who hesitates meditates in a horizontal position""

Rumble1026
Rumble1026
  • Predictions:  3,185  |  70.2%
  • Forum Posts:  107
  • Post Score: 141

02.16.2024 | 10:59 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 665 Points   |   Tied for 672nd

Lemos vs. Dern
Amanda Lemos, TKO, R2
Both ladies looking for a significant win after coming up short in their last contests. Dern shown moments of regression in the striking particulary, losing via round 2 TKO against Jessica Andrade. Lemos was on the opposite end of a masterclass performance by Zhang Welli tallying 163 SS and 6 takedowns. Lemos had her moments early with a sneaky D'arce choke that Zhang was able to weather. In this matchup, I think Dern is definitely live to throw in a submission. Lemos did just give up 6 takedowns but Dern doesn't have that in her repertoire. Dern can land with volume, but has shown to hang out in her combinations too long and expose herself to counters. Lemos won't have the volume that Andrade did with Dern, but has the same pressure style striking and can use her physicality to keep herself upright, land the more impactful shots and get the nod. Dern seemed she didn't want to be there after taking shots from Andrade. I feel a lot of the same here.

"What an excellent day for combat."

SANGRES
SANGRES
  • Predictions:  152  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 61

02.16.2024 | 11:08 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 7 Perfect, 690 Points   |   Tied for 526th

Idk why the press was so short, I blinked once and boom, they were already facing off

"Every animal has a different bite" - Benjamin Esparza

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,146  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,571
  • Post Score: 108

02.16.2024 | 11:38 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 5680th

Go to @RichardShoreMMA, they thought Oban Elliott vs Val Woodburn was at 185 LBS instead of 170.

Oban Elliott weighed 198 this morning, 28 pounds in 2 hours to get off.

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

02.16.2024 | 11:39 AM ET

Damn I thought they were trolling when they posted that. How the actual **** do you sign a contract and not know what the contracted weight is 

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,412  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,513
  • Post Score: 128

02.16.2024 | 11:39 AM ET

@Tosh

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 3992nd

Sometimes you're handed a layup. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

osusnp
osusnp
  • Predictions:  475  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  117
  • Post Score: 185

02.16.2024 | 11:47 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 7 Perfect, 755 Points   |   Tied for 160th

hurry up weigh in's, I'm tired of pretending I'm working.
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

02.16.2024 | 11:54 AM ET

Tafa vs de Lima cancelled. Tafa injury

TotoCortez
TotoCortez
  • Predictions:  2,873  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 263

02.16.2024 | 12:04 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 3322nd

Volkanovski vs. Topuria
Ilia Topuria, DEC
The terrible head KO and especially the revelation of his mental health issues after his loss to Islam is what scares me over picking Volk. Topuria has the momentum and the moment just seems perfect for him. What I think is an underrated factor is that Topuria is also stocky just like Volk which will even out their grappling/wrestling skills. Volks striking is excellent.. I mean the guy literally beat Holloway 3x but I feel like Topuria has strong boxing fundamentals with strong defense, hands up, and x and y movement of head. I can see Topuria knocking down Volk in the early rounds but Volk being the goat of FW class, he comes back and wins rounds 4-5. Topuria via 48-47 unanimous decision.

Whittaker vs. Costa
Robert Whittaker, DEC
Over the years, we have seen a string of losing streaks for former champs... Petr Yan and Usman. I hope this is not the start of Whittaker's decline as well cos he looked terrible in that loss against Du plessis. But this weekend he is facing Costa who is known for power but he couldn't even finish a washed Luke Rockhold. Besides, Costa is inactive and this will definitely favour Whittaker. Whittaker via 29-28 unanimous decision.

Neal vs. Machado Garry
Geoff Neal, TKO, R3
Garry is gonna win the minutes but Neal gonna have the bigger moments and reaction. Garry's chin is sus.. I mean he got nearly finished by Song kenan. He has that tall man's defense and I feel like Neal can catch him right on the money. Neal via 3rd round TKO.

Dvalishvili vs. Cejudo
Merab Dvalishvili, DEC
Merab by spamming 30 takedown attempts while at the same time, putting out insane volume on the feet as well. Cejudo gonna realize he should've stayed retired. Merab's heavy offense and excellent cardio will be too much for the old man.

Hernandez vs. Kopylov
Anthony Hernandez, SUB, R1
I'm a fan of Kopylov but I have to pick Hernandez. Short notice fight for Kopylov only makes it worse as he is known for struggling on the mat. Fluffy via 1st round sub.

codyst789
codyst789
  • Predictions:  262  |  59.2%
  • Forum Posts:  403
  • Post Score: 106

02.16.2024 | 12:06 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 1704th

COSTA MADE WEIGHT
NCPC23
NCPC23
  • Predictions:  4,911  |  69.6%
  • Forum Posts:  229
  • Post Score: 111

02.16.2024 | 12:07 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 695 Points   |   Tied for 434th

Costa seems more focused than before

"It is what it is"

DevinM34
DevinM34
  • Predictions:  427  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  868
  • Post Score: 160

02.16.2024 | 12:07 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 7 Perfect, 765 Points   |   Tied for 114th

I knew there was no way in hell Val was making 170 lol he's a ball of muscle and has never fought at 170 in his life

"My balls was hot"

Page 24

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Alex Pereira Challenges Anthony Smith To $50,000 Grappling Match, Smith Accepts
  • Jits Magazine : UFC Veteran Raphael Assuncao Spits At 10th Planet Black Belt After Disqualification Win
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! O’Malley Wants Sleepy Time For Mac
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Sleep Sean O’Malley’
  • MMA Mania : ‘My D—k Didn’t Get Hard!’ Brown Couldn’t ‘Get Fired Up’ About Fight Offer
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Snaps Back at ‘Sugar’d Up’ Conor McGregor Over Past PED Usage: ‘When Your Idols Turn to Rivals’
  • Middle Easy : Ian Garry Promises to ‘Slap the Mouth Off’ Colby Covingtong Within One Round: ‘Sign the F*cking Contract’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo opens as big underdog for potential Sean O’Malley title fight
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Roasted Over Fighter Pay, Slams ‘Liberal F*cks’ Netflix During the Streaming Giant’s Tom Brady Special
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Felt I Can’t Say No’
  • MMAFighting.com : Heather Hardy reveals career likely over due to ‘too much brain damage’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 medical suspensions: Four fighters receive 180 days but not Jack Shore for leg wound
  • MMA Junkie : Weekend boxing review: Canelo Alvarez gave vintage performance. Is David Benavidez next?
  • MMAFighting.com : Dustin Poirier thinks Islam Makhachev is underestimating him ahead of UFC 302
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall In The Dark While Jones ‘Is Playing Games Again’
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 medical suspensions: 3 winners potentially out 6 months
  • Middle Easy : Jose Aldo vs. Sean O’Malley? ‘Very Possible Chance’ Outlandish Title Fight Happens, Says Outspoken UFC Star
  • MMA Junkie : Matt Brown explains how UFC 300 snub finalized retirement decision, says BKFC signing 'not out of the question'
  • MMAFighting.com : Sean O’Malley responds to Conor McGregor diss, now wants Michael Chandler to ‘sleep’ him