Topic: Bellator 149

Bellator 149: Shamrock vs. Gracie 3 Discussion Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.18.2016 | 7:16 PM ET

Predictions: 1 of 5 Winners, 0 Perfect, 65 Points   |   Tied for 640th

The fighters are weighed in and Melvin Guillard missed the mark again ... but he says it wasn't his fault, so there's that. 

We're in for a weird one. 

Prelims are online at some point in space-time. Main card airs live on Spike TV at 9pm ET. 

Enjoy!

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Bellator 149
  • Friday 02.19.2016 at 09:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Spike TV | Prelims: Spike.com
  • Name: Bellator 149: Shamrock vs. Gracie 3
  • Also Known As: Kimbo vs. Dada 5000
  • Promotion: Bellator MMA
  • Ownership: Bellator Sport Worldwide, LLC
  • Venue: Toyota Center
  • Enclosure: Cage
  • TV Announcers: Sean Grande, Jimmy Smith
  • Ring Announcer: Michael C. Williams
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Jimmy Smith
  • TV Ratings: 1.96M avg. viewers (2.7M peak)
  • MMA Bouts: 17
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Mana Martinez   defeats   Casey Jones   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:21 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Chris Soliz   defeats   Alex Macedo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 9:00 Total Bout Page
Shawn Solis   defeats   Jonathan Davis   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 9:00 Total Bout Page
Ricardo Deluque   defeats   Hunter Scott-Gregg   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Royce Gracie   defeats   Ken Shamrock   via KO/TKO, Knee and Punches   2:22 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Kimbo Slice   vs.   Dada 5000   Ends in a No Contest, Punches   1:32 Round 3 of 3, 11:32 Total Bout Page
Derek Campos   defeats   Melvin Guillard   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:32 Round 2 of 3, 5:32 Total Bout Page
Linton Vassell   defeats   Emanuel Newton   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Emmanuel Sanchez   defeats   Daniel Pineda   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ike Villanueva   defeats   Richard Knepp   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:42 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jeremy Mahon   defeats   Davis Sylvester   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:22 Round 2 of 3, 9:22 Total Bout Page
Adrian Yanez   defeats   Ryan Hollis   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jason Langellier   defeats   Anthony Ivy   via Submission, Anaconda Choke   2:09 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Justin Wren   defeats   Juan Torres   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mike Trinh   defeats   Angel Zamora   via Submission, Armbar   3:49 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Clovis Hancock   defeats   Ruben Esparza   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:26 Round 3 of 3, 11:26 Total Bout Page
Manny Lozoya   defeats   Jacob Norsworthy   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   2:33 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses Page 14

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

02.21.2016 | 9:50 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 17 Winners, 4 Perfect, 605 Points   |   Tied for 251st

Yes, it was a failure.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,359  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,487
  • Post Score: 203

02.21.2016 | 10:13 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 17 Winners, 2 Perfect, 650 Points   |   Tied for 174th

It wasn't a failure. The ratings will kill. Last two fights being lackluster as **** are irrelevant when the ratings come in and break records for Spike.

Also, people need to stop acting like no good came outta the card. Campos knocked out Guillard and is now a player again at lightweight, Sanchez is probably 2 fights away from a title shot. The card overall was fine. But the ratings will murder, and they will end up peaking during main and co-main. 

This will force Bellator to hold about 3 shows like this a year. The people *****ing should tune-in to every Bellator show. Show them you want the real cards if you're gonna complain about these. By only watching the card featuring Kimbo Slice and Dada 5000, of course you're gonna make Bellator do it again.

And, shocker, you people complaining will continue to only watch those cards, be disappointed with the result, and complain about it afterwards. People are talking like Bellator tried to convince the world that the main and co-main were legit MMA. No. The opening three fights were treated like legit, important MMA fights. The co-main was literally booked as a King of the Streets fight and they made it no secret that Gracie/Shamrock III was just a fun fight between two legend who last met like 25 years ago. Relax. Everyone knew what they were getting into with this card, and they got exactly what was advertised. 

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

02.21.2016 | 1:22 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 17 Winners, 4 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 285th

"These world class athletes deserve respect. We , are the greatest fighters in the world" - Alexander Gustaffsson

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

02.21.2016 | 5:10 PM ET

@Mike yes the ratings for this card will be good. But sometimes a slight bit of integrity is worth more than ratings. This card was entirely a boxing style card in that is was a one off show cash grab with no concern for the future. Nobody will remember the earlier fights if people even watch them. 

Campos knocking out a guy who is 3-8 in his last 11 who mentally checked out years ago doesn't really make him a player again. It just confirms what most of us suspected and that's Guillard is done. 

Those of us who watch every card will continue to watch every card because we like MMA. The trick is getting those extra million people who watched this card to maybe consider tuning into the next one. Nothing anybody saw that night is going to make anybody say maybe I should watch the next show. Because this was the type of show Bellator choses to put their marketing dollar behind. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

02.22.2016 | 4:05 PM ET

This card AVERAGED about 1.96 million viewers apparently. So I'd expect the peak is quite a bit higher. 

"Why do they book freakshows?!?!" 

This is why.

OutlawJoseyWales
OutlawJoseyWales
  • Predictions:  10,186  |  59.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,392
  • Post Score: -147

02.22.2016 | 4:08 PM ET

the last two fights were pathetic but i watched them.  kimbo looked like he would fall over first though. lol. shamrock is a joke. should have kicked gracie in the nuts first. shamrock is a shrimpy guy too. i've seen him in the reno airport and the only thing big on him is his arms. dude wears a muscle shirt in the dead of winter at the airport. i got bigger shoulders than shamrock.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 3 weeks, 6 days, 2 hours, and 58 minutes from now.
skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

02.22.2016 | 4:13 PM ET

Predictions: 1 of 5 Winners, 0 Perfect, 65 Points   |   Tied for 640th

Highest rating of the Bellator "tentpole" series. 

1. Bellator 149 - 1.96M 
2. Bellator 138 - 1.58M
3. Bellator 131 - 1.24M
4. Bellator 134 - 872k
5. Bellator 145 - 814k

Top 2 shows featured both Kimbo Slice and Ken Shamrock. No. 3 featured Tito vs. Bonnar. No. 4-5 featured only legitimate fights. 

As tacos said, this is why they do it. Doesn't mean I have to like it or respect it.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

02.22.2016 | 6:36 PM ET

Kimbo vs. Dada AVERAGED 2.5 million. Royce/Ken peaked at 2.4 million. Apparently the Kimbo/Dada peak will be released soon.

That average broke Bellator's previous PEAK rating. ******* insanity. 

* Edited at 02.22.2016, 6:41 PM ET *

twspencer91
twspencer91
  • Predictions:  21,876  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  822
  • Post Score: 246

02.22.2016 | 6:55 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 17 Winners, 3 Perfect, 670 Points   |   Tied for 142nd

I must admit, I simply watch these Bellator events because I know they will be awful. For all the same reasons I enjoy cheesy and outlandish horror films, sometimes it's just so bad you can't help but watch and laugh.

"I've been blessed with many things in this life: an arm like a damn rocket, a **** like a burmese python, and the mind of a ******* scientist."

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

02.23.2016 | 7:42 AM ET

Yes, many of their events are bad.

Bigj383
Bigj383

02.23.2016 | 11:09 AM ET

The Saddest part of this event doing good ratings is we will probably see more garbage Kimbo/Dada like fights promoted big while talented fighters like Brooks, Chandler, Galvao, Dantes, Straus, Freire, McGreaery, and others are all burried in unpromoted non "tent pole" events. 

SlongKong
SlongKong
  • Predictions:  153  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  845
  • Post Score: 56

02.23.2016 | 1:23 PM ET

you're part of the problem

Predictions: 0 of 0 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 686th

WATCH the shows with Bellator grown stars and hungry young talent. Ratings drive what is put out there. Remember when it was pure sport under Bjorn? You **** on it then too. Don't say these blanket statements when you're not supporting the elite fighters they have.

also Chandler is the Co-Main of the next tent pole event! And has been on 2 tent poles prior. The last tentpole was headlined by Straus-Pitbull 3 so idk *** you're talking about.

"I'll fight any man; Any animal. If Jesus were here; I'd fight him too.- Mike Tyson; Downvote me if you want this ****"

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD

02.23.2016 | 2:29 PM ET

rappinpapsoda No they're not. They have plenty of quality shows. Let's see if you watch their next four events. All four cards are all solid fights. Let's see if 2.7 millions watch those also.

Bigj383
Bigj383

02.23.2016 | 2:34 PM ET

I watch all of Bellators shows pretty much. So no I'm not part of the Problem. It was never pure sport under Bjorn. Bellator has had operational problems under Bjorn and now Coker. With Coker there is to much focus on old stars that built their name elsewhere and with Bjorn too much focus on a tournament gimmick and too many non title fights. Much of the problems that existed with Bjorn still exist that primarily being lack of solid contenders creating an endless cycle of rematches.  Despite Strauss v Pitbull rematch being a tent pole it pulled in half the ratings that this spectacle did. 

What the bigger problem is people like you who see Bellator through rose colored glasses like it's all sunshine and roses and can do no wrong. When people applaud ******y like this event it increases the likelihood of a  more events like it. I wish Strauss vs Pitbull would have broken a million viewers,  I wish Will Brooks would be offered the respect he deserves. Bellator has had three shows in the last 3 years that have broken a million viewers Tito vs Bonnar, Kimbo vs Shamrock, and this one is see a pattern. 

SlongKong
SlongKong
  • Predictions:  153  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  845
  • Post Score: 56

02.23.2016 | 6:19 PM ET

i don't view bellator through rose colored glasses. they can certainly do wrong and i acknowledge

Predictions: 0 of 0 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 686th

What is your point though? You're so far off from where you started. Are you mad they are putting on these fights? Are you mad that people are watching the Bellator product? Are you mad that i called you out with irrefutable proof making your statement null and void? And Rebney was absolutely pure sport. The title shots were earned, not given to the most popular guy at the time. You went through a tournament with other top fighters for the right to challenge the champion. Doesn't get more pure sport than that.

Pitbull vs Straus 2 title fight at Bellator 132 averaged 1.1 Mil and peaked at 1.2 million.
Liam Mcgeary vs Newton averaged 1.1 Mil and peaked at 1.2 Million as well.

Liam has headlined 2 tent pole events, Chandler has been on both st. louis tent pole events (as well as the tito-bonnar card) and is scheduled to co-main another. Brooks has been on the tito-bonnar card, co-mained Bellator 145. Koreshkov is headlining Bellator 153 vs Bendo.

They will do "fun fights" and "freakshow fights" here and there but it's not what they're all about. Watch the Elite talent and that's what they'll show. 90% of the cards are all Bellator talent.

"I'll fight any man; Any animal. If Jesus were here; I'd fight him too.- Mike Tyson; Downvote me if you want this ****"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

02.24.2016 | 8:08 AM ET

Mike, I just don't find them interesting. I guess it is because I miss the tournament format.
They will not hit 2.7 again on a card without Kimbo.

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  32,017  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

02.25.2016 | 1:30 AM ET

This did the sort of ratings that would encourage them to put this sort of crap on again. Sigh...can they at least have Kimbo's next fight in a barbed wire shark tank or something?

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda

02.25.2016 | 7:07 AM ET

^exactly.

Page 14

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Renato Moicano: 'I don't think it was very smart' for Alexandre Pantoja to fight Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Top prospect Losene Keita explains turning down multiple offers from UFC, PFL: ‘I know my worth’
  • MMA Mania : McGregor’s High-Profile Backup? On One Condition ...
  • Middle Easy : ‘Big’ John McCarthy Weighs In on Jimmy Smith’s Claim That Everyone ‘F*cking Hated’ Ronda Rousey
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Haney to take’: Hearn reacts to Garcia’s failed drug test
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Incredibly difficult for Devin Haney to take’: Eddie Hearn reacts to Ryan Garcia’s failed drug test
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping: 'Nasty bastard' Alexandre Pantoja has no weak areas, beats Steve Erceg at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 poster released featuring Makhachev vs. Poirier, Strickland vs. Costa
  • MMA Mania : De La Hoya ‘Definitely Going To Sue For Defamation’ After Canelo Spat
  • Bad Left Hook : Ennis vs Crowley official for July 13 in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Jaron Ennis vs Cody Crowley official for July 13th in Philadelphia
  • Bad Left Hook : Hughie Fury joins May 11 McCaskill vs Price show
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker confident he'll handle Khamzat Chimaev's wrestling in UFC Saudi Arabia showdown
  • MMAFighting.com : Paige VanZant eviscerates ‘piece of sh*t’ Dillon Danis in fiery response to accusations 
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I don’t think you can get into Canelo’s head’: Former Golden Boy matchmaker on Oscar beef
  • MMA Junkie : Alexander Volkanovski calls Jose Aldo featherweight GOAT ahead of UFC 301: 'He's how a champion should be'
  • MMA Mania : ‘12 Gauge’ Unloads On ‘Piece Of S—t’ Danis After Alleged Affair Claims
  • MMAFighting.com : Ronda Rousey writing script for her own Netflix biopic, no longer expected to star in film
  • MMAFighting.com : Oscar De La Hoya ‘definitely going to sue’ Canelo Alvarez for defamation after explosive claims
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Embedded, episode 4: Jose Aldo, Alexandre Pantoja hang with soccer legend