Topic: UFC 289

UFC 289: Nunes vs. Aldana

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,155
  • Post Score: 47

03.14.2023 | 10:31 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 289
  • Saturday 06.10.2023 at 07:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Rogers Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Paul Felder, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $3,834,893
  • Attendance: 17,628
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Amanda Nunes   defeats   Irene Aldana   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Charles Oliveira   defeats   Beneil Dariush   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:10 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Mike Malott   defeats   Adam Fugitt   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:06 Round 2 of 3, 6:06 Total Bout Page
Dan Ige   defeats   Nate Landwehr   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Marc-André Barriault   defeats   Eryk Anders   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nassourdine Imavov   vs.   Chris Curtis   Ends in a No Contest, Accidental Clash of Heads   3:04 Round 2 of 3, 8:04 Total Bout Page
Jasmine Jasudavicius   defeats   Miranda Maverick   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Aiemann Zahabi   defeats   Aoriqileng   via KO/TKO, Left Hook to Ground Strikes   1:04 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Kyle Nelson   defeats   Blake Bilder   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Steve Erceg   defeats   David Dvořák   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Diana Belbiţă   defeats   Maria Oliveira   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 21

Kermit
Kermit
  • Predictions:  1,075  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  598
  • Post Score: 159

06.08.2023 | 7:39 AM ET

Oliveira vs. Dariush

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 554th

I'm surprised Charles Oliveira has 45% of the Tap votes. He had an amazing run but Beniel has whooped current Lightweight prospects whilst Charles has beaten a whole host of older Lightweights. Dustin & Justin are great wins, but he fought them both after Khabib... Need I say more? Charles is frantic because he's desperate to get it the fence where 99% of his takedowns come from, but Beniel is the better wrestler, has elite at Jiu Jitsu and is a more composed striker. I personally see this going to a decision due to the stakes at play for both guys, but if there's a finish I would expect a Beniel TKO/KO. 
GreenTeaEnthusiast
GreenTeaEnthusiast

06.08.2023 | 8:00 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2412th

Dariush is extremely good and probably the better grappler all-around. But he moves backward a lot... which is not good against Oliveira. And although Charles gets hit quite a bit, I think he can hurt Dariush early and eventually land a concussive blow to finish him off. Charles on the front foot is extremely offensive and though he's able to get dropped, he's shown that he can bring the pressure and land the bigger shots early (like in the Gaethje fight). The only time he's been unable to do so in recent fights was against Islam, who I believe is a cut above everybody at 155; he managed to hurt Poirier, Gaethje, Chandler, and Ferguson.

I think Oliveira hurts Benny and finishes him off. Oliveira has deceptive power and when he dropped Justin, he really just flash KO'd him - which hasn't happened to Justin before, as far as I can remember. Although, if he can't drop Beneil, then he will himself get dropped and eventually finished, because Dariush is extremely good from the guard.

* Edited at 06.08.2023, 8:00 AM ET *

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,477  |  68.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,825
  • Post Score: 141

06.08.2023 | 8:47 AM ET

Barriault/Anders

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 2178th

This is one of the hardest fights on the card for me to pick. Let me tell you why.

If Anders had been at Fight Ready I would pick him hands down. I did not like how MAB looked in the first round against Marquez. And I do not expect Anders to shell up like that. But he has changed gyms, how will that affect him? I really have no idea because from what I have heard he is now with the Gracie Philly guys and training grappling with Sean Brady, Joe Pyfer and co. Ties in with all the graplling matches he is having. That could be a good thing and I could definitely see him approaching this fight with a grappling heavy game plan. As for MAB it's his cardio and durability which allows him to outlast his opponents. Not sure he fights that well going back, but will Anders pressure him? I really don't know.

Very hard fight for me to pick and I am still undecided. Going with Anders for now because I have never been that high on MAB. But you might have to factor in the fact this is in Canada as well if it goes to decision as I think it could
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

06.08.2023 | 8:49 AM ET

Maverick/Jasudavicious

I have been very surprised at how many cappers and analysts are picking Jasmine to win this. I just don't see it. Maverick will be miles ahead in the striking. She will be faster with better in and out movement and her wrestling is at least as good as Jasmines. Her grappling will also be better. I really think this is Mavericks fight to lose, and if Jasmine wins I think it will be due to the home judging pulling for her rather than any other reason
foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,071  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,031
  • Post Score: 137

06.08.2023 | 8:50 AM ET

@rusty

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 240 Points   |   Tied for 3335th

You absolutely nailed the breakdowns of the co-main and Imavov/Curtis IMO. I think there's a very good chance Dariush gives Oliveira his first decision loss in like a decade. 

While I also like Curtis against Imavov, I'm having a hard time ignoring his recent comments about dropping back down to welterweight if he has too. I mean he specifically said he "****** around and got ranked" at 185 and is basically just gonna keep doing what he's doing until he starts stringing together losses. Imavov isn't fighting Curtis for 5 rounds on short notice like he did with Strickland. Imavov was preparing for Gastelum and while I don't think any extra time would have really made a difference, I think it's worth noting all 3 judges gave Imavov round 5 against Strickland. The concerns with his tank might be a bit overblown.

I would not at all be surprised if Imavov wins this by decision. 
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

06.08.2023 | 8:53 AM ET

Zahabi/AQ

Zahabi rarely fights, has limited wrestling and is a low volume counter striker. I think Tri Star is one of the most over rated gyms in MMA and I think in the battle of gyms Fight Ready is head over heels better. AQ is going to wrestle and he trains with Alatangheili. On the feet I think AQ will be higher volume as well and will have more power. I think this will likely go the distance as both are durable. Taking AQ by decision.

Again my main worry is a big Canadian gym and home of GSP in a fight going to decision. I could see a robbery

* Edited at 06.08.2023, 8:54 AM ET *

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

06.08.2023 | 8:57 AM ET

@foppa420

Definitely see your point. My main worry about Curtis is that he is taking too much damage and will be the smaller guy. Also if Imavov uses his fight IQ and keeps distance this could look bad. Also if I remember right Imavov took the Strickland fight at a catchweight so that could have an effect on is cardio too. Very difficult fight to predict my freind.
foppa420
foppa420

06.08.2023 | 9:03 AM ET

@rusty

Also with you on MAB/Anders being really tough to call.

I honestly think Jasudavicius is getting more love recently because her loss to Silva is aging really well (and by "aging well" I mean people are just impressed she didn't get finished).

I'm with you though and think Maverick is a step ahead of her right now in her development.
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

06.08.2023 | 9:08 AM ET

@foppa420

Glad to see our thoughts line up. Always respect your opinions
foppa420
foppa420

06.08.2023 | 9:10 AM ET

@Rusty

Likewise big dog. Always appreciate you sharing your thoughts. 
CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,145  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,567
  • Post Score: 108

06.08.2023 | 9:28 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 696th

@Kermit 

So because Dustin and Justin lost to Khabib in 2019 & 2020, means Oliveira beating them in 2022 means nothing?

Pass the weed my guy, I need some of that.

* Edited at 06.08.2023, 9:29 AM ET *

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon

06.08.2023 | 9:31 AM ET

Dvorak/Erceg

Even though I want to pull for the Aussie, I think Dvorak is very good. He is durable. Has good striking and decent grappling. Erceg has potential. But his striking is rough and he is hittable. And on short notice with a long flight to Canada and a weight cut down to FW. Rough. My main issue is that I think Erceg has questionable cardio at the best of times and this is not going to favour him. I think Dvorak gets a round 2 or round 3 KO

* Edited at 06.08.2023, 9:31 AM ET *

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,098  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,192
  • Post Score: 88

06.08.2023 | 9:42 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 2224th

@rusty I saw anders was laying out his retirement plan to the media yesterday. Said he wants to focus on fatherhood. That and leaving fight ready is a big red flag 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

Jahfre
Jahfre
  • Predictions:  5,870  |  61.7%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 256

06.08.2023 | 10:29 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 993rd

Oliveira vs. Dariush
Charles Oliveira, SUB, R2
Dariush is very good but his strength-of-schedule is nowhere near that of Oliveira.

"If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong."

UFCFan101
UFCFan101
  • Predictions:  5,793  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  96
  • Post Score: 27

06.08.2023 | 11:43 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 275 Points   |   Tied for 2470th

Oliveira vs. Dariush
Charles Oliveira, DEC
A fight I'm super excited for. Dariush is on a tear in the UFC. However I just can't see him getting past Oliveira. So I think Oliveira is gonna get the fight to the ground, outwork Dariush with his journey

Malott vs. Fugitt
Adam Fugitt, DEC
So this is hopeful thinking but I'm going with Fugitt to utilize his wrestling and grind out a decision win. Plus he's from Oregon and I'm from Oregon lol. However Malott is dangerous on the feet and will be looking to stop the fight early.

Ige vs. Landwehr
Dan Ige, TKO, R1
This is gonna be an interesting fight. Landwehr is gonna attempt to use his wrestling and grind it out but Ige is gonna start putting together combos for an early KO.

Anders vs. Barriault
Marc-André Barriault, DEC
Another close fight on the card. I think this is going to be an on and off brawl to a close decision for Barriault.

Imavov vs. Curtis
Nassourdine Imavov, TKO, R2
I see becoming a fire fight fast. First round will be a war. I think the precision from Imavov will start adding up and take out Curtis.

Jasudavicius vs. Maverick
Miranda Maverick, DEC
Maverick is gonna win a pretty decisive decision win. She's fought better competition and has an overall advantage.

Zahabi vs. Aoriqileng
Aiemann Zahabi, DEC
Although Aoriqileng is a very tough opponent, I would say Zahabi has the edge on the feet and has fought tougher UFC competition. Zahabi close decision.

Dvořák vs. Erceg
David Dvořák, DEC
Have to run with Dvorak. I would say a dominate decision victory.

Belbiţă vs. Oliveira
Maria Oliveira, DEC
Close fight. Slight edge to Oliveira.

UFCFan101
UFCFan101
  • Predictions:  5,793  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  96
  • Post Score: 27

06.08.2023 | 11:47 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 275 Points   |   Tied for 2470th

Nunes vs. Aldana
Amanda Nunes, TKO, R3
I think the first two rounds are going to be highly competitive and close. However Nunes is going to turn things up in round 3 and overwhelm Aldana with strikes on the feet until the referee stops the fight.

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,412  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,509
  • Post Score: 128

06.08.2023 | 11:49 AM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 923rd

Was gonna mention that but you beat me to it, Anders is another one that is planning his retirement.

As for Jazzy J let me once again remind everyone that she revealed on Contender Series that she started TRAINING MMA at 28. Not had her first fight mind, that's when she had her first day of training. It is also the first combat sport she has ever done. Basically she played soccer or volleyball or some other **** like that in her youth (can't recall which) and a boyfriend got her into MMA at age 28.

I reminded everyone of this fact after everyone was shocked that Natalia Silva beat her. Don't put money on Jazzy J is my advice to all.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

Kermit
Kermit
  • Predictions:  1,075  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  598
  • Post Score: 159

06.08.2023 | 12:52 PM ET

@CrimsonChinGuru

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 554th

Read whole sentences my guy: "Dustin & Justin are great wins" was giving them the props they deserve. That doesn't dismiss the fact that Dustin spent an entire round laid flat on his back against Charles before being strangled in the next round, or that Justin lasted about 3 minutes total after playing right into Charles game. And both those boys got handled by Khabib whether people like it or not. The look of resignation on both their faces when they hit the mat with Charles was identical. Beniel will not have that issue, or any issue at all grappling with Charles. 
Latrel Dog
Latrel Dog
  • Predictions:  1,146  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  796
  • Post Score: 158

06.08.2023 | 1:15 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 1276th

The main concern I have for Charles in this fight is that Benny is an overall better grappler, and he's more of a position-over-submission type of guy. 

If Charles does better than Dariush on the feet, he'll probably take Oliveira to the ground, stay on top and land some gnp to win the round. 

I don't know. I'm rooting for Do Bronx, but the possibility we get a Benny x Ferguson type of fight is real. 
gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,412  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,509
  • Post Score: 128

06.08.2023 | 1:26 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 923rd

Everyone is saying Benny is the better grappler. What are you basing that on? It's legitimately perhaps my weakest area in fight capping since I never trained BJJ a day in my life and are mostly clueless as to the fine details of what is happening whenever there is grappling on the mat.
You all got that by the eye test or what? Do we actually have a grappling expert in the chat is I guess what I'm asking lol.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

Page 21

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : O’Malley Accepts Mac’s Challenge: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo reacts to free agency, possibly skipping line to fight Sean O’Malley after UFC 301 win
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja To Challengers: ‘Bring A Gun’ If You Want To Stop Me
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tells Jake Paul ‘I would quit boxing’ if steroid accusations are true
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 post-event facts: Michel Pereira joins elite company with eighth straight octagon win
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith responds to Alex Pereira’s $50,000 challenge: ‘I’ll choke the sh*t out of him’
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith agrees to Alex Pereira's $50K bet after UFC 301 submission win: 'I'll choke the sh*t out of him'
  • Middle Easy : UFC Legend Matt Brown Announces Retirement From MMA : ‘Not Doing it Again’
  • MMA Junkie : Steve Erceg 'devastated' by UFC 301 title fight loss: 'I blew it'
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor may be BKFC co-owner, but Mike Perry still wants that fight: ‘I am my own boss’
  • MMA Mania : Video: O’Malley Vs. Dvalishvili Booked?
  • MMA Junkie : Jack Shore's coach calls foul on shin cut stoppage at UFC 301
  • MMA Mania : ‘Let Fighters Fight!’
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones reveals ‘I have a date’ for UFC return, verbal agreement in place
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 teaser video: Shadowy Conor McGregor paces during 'Foggy Dew'
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch insane knockout punch leave fighter flat on the canvas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch: Conor McGregor’s return teased in spine-tingling promo ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Junkie : Fight Tracks: The walkout songs of UFC 301 with AC/DC x 3
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 Promotional Guidelines Compliance pay: Jose Aldo nets $21k for potential final UFC fight
  • MMAFighting.com : Steve Erceg reacts to Alexandre Pantoja loss at UFC 301: ‘I just blew it’