Topic: UFC 290

UFC 290: Volkanovski vs. Rodriguez

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,159
  • Post Score: 47

03.02.2023 | 4:13 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 290
  • Saturday 07.08.2023 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ABC
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Alexander Volkanovski   defeats   Yair Rodriguez   via KO/TKO, Right Hook to Ground Strikes   4:19 Round 3 of 5, 14:19 Total Bout Page
Alexandre Pantoja   defeats   Brandon Moreno   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Dricus Du Plessis   defeats   Robert Whittaker   via KO/TKO, Power Jab to Punches   2:23 Round 2 of 3, 7:23 Total Bout Page
Dan Hooker   defeats   Jalin Turner   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Bo Nickal   defeats   Val Woodburn   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:38 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Robbie Lawler   defeats   Niko Price   via KO/TKO, Hooks   0:39 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tatsuro Taira   defeats   Edgar Cháirez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Denise Gomes   defeats   Yazmin Jauregui   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:20 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Alonzo Menifield   defeats   Jimmy Crute   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:55 Round 2 of 3, 6:55 Total Bout Page
Vitor Petrino   defeats   Marcin Prachnio   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   3:42 Round 3 of 3, 13:42 Total Bout Page
Cameron Saaiman   defeats   Terrence Mitchell   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   3:10 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jesus Aguilar   defeats   Shannon Ross   via KO/TKO, Overhand Right   0:17 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Esteban Ribovics   defeats   Kamuela Kirk   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 43

MrIzdik
MrIzdik
  • Predictions:  962  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  287
  • Post Score: 194

07.07.2023 | 10:19 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 3005th

Volkanovski vs. Rodriguez
Alexander Volkanovski, DEC
For sure not picking against Volk after that Islam performance. I do think Yair is tough as nails and can hang in there for the 25 minutes. But I think Volk gives it to him for most of that 25 minutes.

Moreno vs. Pantoja III
Brandon Moreno, TKO, R4
I watched the last fight between them this morning and Pantoja looks to be mostly the same fighter, but Moreno was almost unrecognizable in that fight. I also want to add in the fact that despite a 10-8 1st round and losing the 2nd round Moreno wasn't going anywhere in that 3rd round. Pantoja looked like the one who didn't have much left in the 3rd. With Moreno's improvements and gas tank, I will take him to have his Izzy/Poatan moment.

Whittaker vs. Du Plessis
Whittaker, KO, R2
After last week I can't help but feel like Dricus wins by spinning back fist. But you can always count on Rob to be prepared and focused. I think he starches Dricus on one of his blitzes. Dricus's size always impresses me.

Hooker vs. Turner
Jalin Turner, SUB, R2
With the weight miss I like Turner that much more. I'm leaning towards him hurting Hooker in the clinch and locking up a sub. But Hooker basically KO'd Dustin so I don't hate a play on Hooker by KO either.

Nickal vs. Woodburn
Bo Nickal, SUB, R1
I only watched 2 fights of Woodburn and wasn't too impressed. I have liked his press conferences, but I don't expect him to shock the world.

Lawler vs. Price
Robbie Lawler, TKO, R2
I expect to regret this pick, but I'm riding with Robbie. He looked so much better in his last fight then I had remembered. Price also has a suspect chin and knees. This is the rare instance the UFC found a winnable fight for a legend in his retirement fight, I don't think they did that on accident. They seem to really be hyping the Lawler retirement this weekend. 

Jauregui vs. Gomes
Yazmin Jauregui, DEC
Close fight. I think Gomes pushes her and is live for the KO, but I won't pick against Jauregui just yet.

Crute vs. Menifield II
Jimmy Crute, DEC
I hate this fight and don't want to watch the rematch. I think the last fight went as well early as Menifield could have hoped and he still walked away with a draw. I will take the younger fight to make some adjustments and the older fighter to slow down just a tick.

Cháirez vs. Taira
Tatsuro Taira, SUB, R2
Taira should be able to choose what submission he wants.

Petrino vs. Prachnio
Vitor Petrino, TKO, R1
I like Petrino more than most. He seems solid, I just don't know what his ceiling is. I just think it is higher than Prachnio.

Saaiman vs. Mitchell
Cameron Saaiman, TKO, R1
I will never pick a debuting Alaska guy. I also think Saaiman is legit. Wasn't sure about him coming into Contender, but he has been nothing, but impressive.

Ross vs. Aguilar
Jesus Aguilar, SUB, R2
I've always disliked Ross and never understood the hype coming into Contender. He doesn't seem to have much of a chin left either so let's just say Aguilar clubs and subs him. Not huge on Aguilar either and I hate faidng a bad fighter with a bad fighter.

Kirk vs. Ribovics
Kamuela Kirk, DEC
Not crazy about either guy, but I prefer Kirk's grappling and feel we may see a better version of him at 155. But it won't surprise me if we don't. Hard fight to pick.
bizarroillsanemma
bizarroillsanemma
  • Predictions:  25  |  68.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: -100

07.07.2023 | 10:52 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 738th

Maddalena vs. Harrell
Jack Della Maddalena, TKO, R1
Cancel

2023.07.07 11:33 PM ET

bout status update

Maddalena vs. Harrell Changed from Confirmed to Cancelled
foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,071  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,031
  • Post Score: 137

07.08.2023 | 12:12 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1967th

I got 9 finishes on this card.
TotoCortez
TotoCortez
  • Predictions:  2,873  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  48
  • Post Score: 263

07.08.2023 | 12:20 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 380 Points   |   Tied for 3852nd

Alexander Volkanovski, TKO, R4
Yair heavily relies on his kicks. I think volk is gonna catch him when he kicks, take him and lay some heavy ground & pound. If Yair sees this and doesn't utilize his kicks, I don't think he'll be able to get a good flow in the game. For Yair to win, he has to pull off one of a kind hail Mary or else he's gonna get pieced up if he tries to fight point fight.

Moreno vs. Pantoja III
Brandon Moreno, DEC
Best chance for Pantoja is a round 1 or 2 sub when they are both dry. Moreno has the cardio advantage and better all round game. Can clearly see a late round finish for Moreno as he has proven to put out huge numbers in terms of volume.

Whittaker vs. Du Plessis
Robert Whittaker, DEC
Dricus round 1 KO or Whittaker by decision.

Hooker vs. Turner
Jalin Turner, TKO, R2
Gonna be an absolute banger for as long as it lasts. I got Turner by early round 2 KO.

Nickal vs. Woodburn
Bo Nickal, SUB, R1
Round 1 BO easy. If BO wins, I would love to see him get tested against a seasoned veteran like Brad Tavares.

IDPC7
IDPC7
  • Predictions:  321  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 142

07.08.2023 | 12:35 AM ET

LONGSHOT PARLAY

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 850th

Working on making a longshot parlay (usually stick to straight bets but this card has too many nice spots)
which are yall most confident in/what would you take out? :

Turner rds 1 or 2
taira rds 1 or 2
nickal rd 1
whittaker ko ( i know he aint a big finisher but look what he did to vettori, ddp wont be that durable, and will gas)
Agular submission
saimon ko
petrino ko/dec
ribovics KO
lawler fdgtd

only gonna use my 6 most confident out of these legs, which would you guys tail in parlays?

"let people sleep on me, and let the doctor wake 'em up" - Jamahal Hill

MrIzdik
MrIzdik
  • Predictions:  962  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  287
  • Post Score: 194

07.08.2023 | 1:02 AM ET

@Foppa

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 3005th

Does seem like finish heavy card. Which means get prepared for a terribly paced card.
sirwinsalot420
sirwinsalot420
  • Predictions:  887  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  126
  • Post Score: 204

07.08.2023 | 1:03 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1551st

Whittaker vs. Du Plessis
Dricus Du Plessis, TKO, R1
This was a fun matchup to tape...man this fight is going to be much much closer than odds are suggesting. Let's talk about DDP first, his striking in the pocket is pretty good, keeps high guard and looks to counter, his jab is solid (he was landing solid jabs on till in rd 3) I believe the reason he seems very sloppy in striking is because how he enters and exits the range (he cuts angles by almost running out at the end of an exchange)its not pretty but it works for him. Also He has progressively improved on how he enters the striking range (from throwing 1-2s from far away and rushing in Marcus Perez fight to establishing jabs to enter in his later fights) his leg kicks are solid, he constantly throws inside and outside leg kicks. He likes blasting double legs (gets very low and deep on those) or single leg takes down along the cage. Bobby Knuckles on the other hand is just a technician on the feet man, DDP ain't winning a technical fight vs whittekar. Whittaker has one the best jabs and sneaks leg kicks in between his Punches beautifully (his hip dexterity allows him to throw head kicks without any tells), Whittaker hasn't relied on a wrestling heavy game plan in a while but he mainly uses his defensive wrestling to keep the fight on the feet. I think Whittaker beat Adesanya in 2nd fight but it's his first fight vs izzy and early on vs Brunson which gives me concern, if or when he gets in these sprawl and brawl type situations he is hittable and DDP can Crack man. DDP goes hard for 3 rounds, I don't think he is going to get in a technical fight with Rob and will try to make this a brawl. Whittaker is clearly and by far a superior fighter BUT STYLES MAKE FIGHTS and I think DDP has the style to beat Rob. Underdogs are going to come thru in the favorite heavy card and I am getting a gut feeling that DDP gets it done here and gets it done early.

"It ain't over until it's over!"

Swords Song
Swords Song
  • Predictions:  1,091  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  581
  • Post Score: 157

07.08.2023 | 1:04 AM ET

Prediction Comments

12-0

Moreno vs. Pantoja III
Brandon Moreno, DEC
9-3

Whittaker vs. Du Plessis
Robert Whittaker, TKO, R3
12-0

Hooker vs. Turner
Jalin Turner, TKO, R2
12-0

Nickal vs. Woodburn
Bo Nickal, SUB, R1
13-0

Lawler vs. Price
Niko Price, TKO, R2
11-1

Cháirez vs. Taira
Tatsuro Taira, SUB, R1
12-0

Jauregui vs. Gomes
Yazmin Jauregui, TKO, R3
11-0

Crute vs. Menifield II
Jimmy Crute, SUB, R2
8-3

Petrino vs. Prachnio
Vitor Petrino, TKO, R2
11-0

Saaiman vs. Mitchell
Cameron Saaiman, TKO, R2
12-0

Ross vs. Aguilar
Jesus Aguilar, SUB, R2
11-0

Kirk vs. Ribovics
Esteban Ribovics, TKO, R2
10-1

sirwinsalot420
sirwinsalot420
  • Predictions:  887  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  126
  • Post Score: 204

07.08.2023 | 1:18 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1551st

Volk is a savage, yair has a kickers chance but man Volk is too tough. Ain't nobody submitting volk if Ortega and Islam failed to do. His striking is technical, accurate and FAST. He is going to make this look easy.

Moreno vs. Pantoja III
Alexandre Pantoja, SUB, R2
Didn't tape this fight - I like Moreno but it's flyweights. Everyone is really good and any top 5 guy can beat each other on a given day. Pantoja slows down later and Moreno can fight hard 5 rounds. Picking Pantoja here for the upset. Not a confident pick tho.

Hooker vs. Turner
Jalin Turner, TKO, R2
Weight miss by 2 lbs is not a good look if Turner wants to continue to be a weight bully in LW division. MAKE WEIGHT OR MOVE UP!!! Hooker has been in wars and his chin is def compromised. Turner had a good showing vs Gamrot on short notice. I think he clips Hooker with a knee or pieces him from distance for 15 mins.

"It ain't over until it's over!"

Badafuco
Badafuco
  • Predictions:  4,319  |  64.1%
  • Forum Posts:  33
  • Post Score: 173

07.08.2023 | 2:41 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 4097th

Lawler vs. Price
Niko Price, TKO, R2
Robbie Lawler is still fighting??

"If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face. "

Sasquatch27
Sasquatch27
  • Predictions:  2,834  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  76
  • Post Score: -653

07.08.2023 | 2:45 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 510 Points   |   Tied for 1040th

Bo Nickal and his random opponent higher on card than Lawler is just a sad thing. 
IDPC7
IDPC7

07.08.2023 | 3:00 AM ET

I think I've heard that a million times, but I think it's cause it's robbys last fight and hes not good as he used to be. They want the eyes on Nickal, as they know hes gonna be a top ranked opponent in the future, and he will probably get a quick finish.

Andrew1047
Andrew1047
  • Predictions:  4,272  |  82.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,813
  • Post Score: -82

07.08.2023 | 3:09 AM ET

Assquatch

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 1276th

Nickal is the future, Lawler is retiring. Makes sense to promote him more.

But I know you don't understand business.

* Edited at 07.08.2023, 3:09 AM ET *

A moderator has publicly marked this as inappropriate. Please be respectful on Tapology otherwise suspensions may be levied.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 3 weeks, 4 days, 19 hours, and 3 minutes from now.
TLRulebender
TLRulebender

07.08.2023 | 4:37 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 645 Points   |   Tied for 62nd

Whittaker vs. Du Plessis
Dricus Du Plessis, TKO, R1
Im doing this for meme purposes

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,412  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,509
  • Post Score: 128

07.08.2023 | 5:10 AM ET

Given how relatively difficult it's been to find good dogs on this card I suppose you all have 5-6 leg parlays?

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

ObiWanQuinnobi
ObiWanQuinnobi
  • Predictions:  1,253  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 80

07.08.2023 | 5:13 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 333rd

Cháirez vs. Taira
Tatsuro Taira, SUB, R2
Jim

IDPC7
IDPC7

07.08.2023 | 5:21 AM ET

@gliese58i 

im finalizing one 6 leg, not throwing alot on it obviously tho,  more heavy on straight bets

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,412  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,509
  • Post Score: 128

07.08.2023 | 5:36 AM ET

@IDPC7

Alright. Best of luck to you. I hope to one day have the time to go over all the possible prop bets of fights, I feel you need to have a good feel for those to be able to find a good parlay most of the time.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,734  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,349
  • Post Score: 168

07.08.2023 | 5:46 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 2753rd

The prelims for this event will be on whatever your ABC station is.
IDPC7
IDPC7

07.08.2023 | 5:49 AM ET

@gliese58i 
 thanks for the luck brotha, ill will post what i come up with before prelims

Page 43

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : 5 biggest takeaways from UFC 301: Anthony Smith teaches another lesson in misplaced doubt
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo discusses next career move after fighting out contract at UFC 301
  • MMAFighting.com : Michel Pereira responds to UFC 301 criticism: ‘That’s the risk, but I’m the risk-taker’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: The Rock posts MMA training footage in preparation for role in 'The Smashing Machine'
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for free agent Jose Aldo after UFC 301 win?
  • MMA Mania : Pound For Pound #1 Vs. ‘The #1 Money Man’
  • MMAFighting.com : Shogun Rua announced for 2024 UFC Hall of Fame class
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The Rock begin MMA training for Mark Kerr biopic ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 winner Mauricio Ruffy warns Islam Makhachev 'a new king is coming' after debut
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexandre Pantoja reacts to UFC 301 win, ‘watershed moment’ in flyweight division
  • MMA Junkie : Mick Maynard's Shoes: What's next for Alexandre Pantoja after UFC 301 title defense?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 main card announced
  • MMA Mania : ‘Suga’ To Mac: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Mania : O’Malley Accepts Mac’s Challenge: ‘Send Jet For A Quick Spar’
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja: UFC 301 a 'watershed moment' for flyweights
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo reacts to free agency, possibly skipping line to fight Sean O’Malley after UFC 301 win
  • MMA Mania : Pantoja To Challengers: ‘Bring A Gun’ If You Want To Stop Me
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia tells Jake Paul ‘I would quit boxing’ if steroid accusations are true
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 post-event facts: Michel Pereira joins elite company with eighth straight octagon win
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith responds to Alex Pereira’s $50,000 challenge: ‘I’ll choke the sh*t out of him’