Topic: UFC on ABC 1

UFC on ABC 1: Holloway vs. Kattar

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,026
  • Post Score: 47

10.10.2020 | 2:00 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC on ABC 1
  • Saturday 01.16.2021 at 12:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ABC | Prelims: ESPN+
  • Name: UFC on ABC 1: Holloway vs. Kattar
  • Also Known As: UFC Fight Island 7
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Etihad Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Daniel Cormier, Dan Hardy
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • TV Ratings: 1.22M avg. viewers (1.6M peak)
  • MMA Bouts: 10
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Max Holloway   defeats   Calvin Kattar   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Carlos Condit   defeats   Matt Brown   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jingliang Li   defeats   Santiago Ponzinibbio   via KO/TKO, Left Hook   4:25 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Alessio Di Chirico   defeats   Joaquin Buckley   via KO/TKO, Head Kick   2:12 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Punahele Soriano   defeats   Duško Todorović   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:48 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Joselyne Edwards   defeats   Yanan Wu   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Carlos Felipe   defeats   Justin Tafa   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ramazan Emeev   defeats   David Zawada   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Vanessa Melo   defeats   Sarah Moras   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Austin Lingo   defeats   Jacob Kilburn   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 3

KO2019
KO2019
  • Predictions:  3,517  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  370
  • Post Score: 198

12.31.2020 | 8:20 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 1251st

wrong thread

* Edited at 12.31.2020, 8:21 AM ET *

"They're All On Steroids Bro!"

the_jakethomas
the_jakethomas
  • Predictions:  2,151  |  57.6%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 267

12.31.2020 | 5:51 PM ET

The Event poster

Predictions: 5 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 1298th

The event poster is terrible. Why would you make the fighters face away from each other?

"I'm preparing to meet God. But, before I do that, I got some things to accomplish". - Mike Tyson

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,304  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,315
  • Post Score: 285

12.31.2020 | 6:30 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 636th

@the_jakethomas

I hate the poster as well, it makes them look like conjoined twins.

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Look4o
Look4o
  • Predictions:  1,669  |  66.1%
  • Forum Posts:  21
  • Post Score: 186

12.31.2020 | 7:09 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 1828th

I hate the rip in the middle

"* Insert Hackenschmidt quote here *"

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,304  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,315
  • Post Score: 285

12.31.2020 | 7:31 PM ET

@the_jakethomas
@Look4o

I still prefer this poster over the upside down ones they did for a bit like this one for UFC 212.

* Edited at 12.31.2020, 7:32 PM ET *

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,544
  • Post Score: 262

12.31.2020 | 9:41 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 442nd

I think they going for the Clint Eastwood old timey cowboy duel look but I could be wrong. Its still look weird tho

"Quack quack quack"

the_jakethomas
the_jakethomas
  • Predictions:  2,151  |  57.6%
  • Forum Posts:  24
  • Post Score: 267

12.31.2020 | 11:09 PM ET

yeah that upside down poster is really bad too.

"I'm preparing to meet God. But, before I do that, I got some things to accomplish". - Mike Tyson

TWJake
TWJake
  • Predictions:  6,091  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  2,492
  • Post Score: 338

01.01.2021 | 12:11 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 10 Winners, 2 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 2410th

I like the upside down poster ngl, at least it was something new and it symbolized something

"I know many a troops that I visit when I went to Iraq in 2005... 2-uh excuse me in 19-or.. 05' 06' 07' 08' 09' 2010 2011. I went from the Korwaiten border! All the way up to the Turkish border!" -Tito Ortiz

Chessum1995
Chessum1995
  • Predictions:  1,559  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  43
  • Post Score: 365

01.01.2021 | 1:06 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 6 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 50th with 19 others

Holloway vs. Kattar
Max Holloway, DEC
HUGE fight for both of these guys.... Kattar is pushing for a title shot whilst Holloway is trying to prove he is still the biggest threat in this division. Both Holloway vs Volkanovski fights were extremely close and so whoever lost either of those fights has every right to feel slightly hard done by. Usually a triology fight wouldnt be granted when one person has lost twice on paper however i feel like everyone would make the exception in this case because of how close both fights were in reality and how long Max was champ for. This is why this fight is so important for Holloway, its kind of similar to the fergusson vs Oliviera fight in the respect of Holloway (like Fergusson) coming off a loss desperate to prove hes still a big threat to the title and Kattar (like Oliviera) trying to show Holloway has had his time and its his turn now. This will be an extremely entertaining fight to watch and will predominatly be contested on the feet and i think Holloway will use his experience and be to savvy for Kattar, Moicano Peiced up Kattar badly in a very one sided fight and although i dont doubt for a moment that Kattar is a much better fighter than he was in that fight i still think Holloway will be too much for him. Given that Holloway has only every been finished once (by sub) i dont see him being finished here, his chin is legendary so i see this fight going into the later round which favours Holloway for his expereince in 5 round fights and his cardio. i think Max is going to really put on a show in a very entertaining but very one sided Unanimous decision or a late finish and put the Champ back on notice that after Ortega, he wants the next shot, whether that be against Ortega or Volkanovski.

Simón vs. Kelleher
Ricky Simón, DEC
some potential hairy moments for Simon but ultimately he gets his hand raised after a unanimous decision

Vieira vs. Hernandez
Rodolfo Vieira, SUB, R1
Vieira is extremely dangerous on the ground and although Hernandez is talented himself, i think he will be shown the difference in levels in this game.

Akhmedov vs. Breese
Omari Akhmedov, DEC
Tom Breeze looked good in his last fight and has decent power but the reality is the bloke he fought reacted to that jab like he has never been punched before.... Akhmedov is tough and relentless with his takedowns and offense, Breeze is by no means written off in this one but i do think Akhmedov gets the win here.

Ponzinibbio vs. Li
Santiago Ponzinibbio, DEC
Ponzinibbio hasnt fought for over 2 years but the bloke was legit! if he comes back at anything 80%+ of what he was then Jingliang is in for a rough night. It really is that simple...

Buckley vs. Di Chirico
Joaquin Buckley, TKO, R1
Buckley is on a roll right now, has crazy power and i dont see Chirico being the man to derail him.... same again with a first round KO, welcome to Buckleys highlight reel Alessio Di Chirico...

Condit vs. Brown
Carlos Condit, TKO, R2
Carlos Condit looked very good in his comeback fight against Court Mcgee. Matt Brown is past it now and looking quite chinny as of late, this is awful when youre coming up against a very talented striker with extremely good accuracy especially looking as good as he did in his recent fight. I think Condit gets the finish in this one, and im saying round 2 but could very well be round 1.

Tafa vs. Felipe
Carlos Felipe, DEC
Justin Tafa basically solely relies on getting a KO win and i dont see that happening against felipe, hes got a very good chin, i see a very laboured boring heavyweight fight between 2 overweight slobs but Felipe scraping the decision win.

Moras vs. Melo
Vanessa Melo, DEC
Going against the percetages in this one solely because Vanessa Melo looks hot in her picture!

Soriano vs. Todorović
Duško Todorović, TKO, R1
Todorovic looks legit in the fights i have watched, his victory over Michel Pereira has certainly aged well in his favour as that is a big name to have on his record now. I think Soriano has some good talent and is undefeated with a 7-0 record however he hasnt really fought anyone notable and still seems to be at the stage of fighting favourale opponents/ people with barely any pro fights. This isnt his fault as its pretty common that early in your carear, however Todorovic has only had 3 more fights than Soriano but the competion level seems vastly superior. He is handling his opponents with little difficulty and right now is looking like a very hot prospect. I see this fight going very similar to his others.

Lentz vs. Grundy
Mike Grundy, DEC
Grundy is very explosive and strong early on in fights, he has a tendancy to gas as the fight goes on and i think this would be Nik Lentz route to victory should he fight a smart fight.... i do however believe that Grundy has 2 solid rounds in him of takedowns, ground and pound and potential submission attempts. if Grundy doesnt get a quick finish and this fight does make it out of the first round then i still think Grundy has enough in the tank to secure the second round aswell before getting tired and coasting the 3rd potentially losing it but winning the fight overall with a 29-28 unanimous decision.

Imavov vs. Hawes
Phil Hawes, TKO, R1
Phil Hawes looked great in his recent UFC debut, quite clearly has very heavy hands and his movement looks really smooth. i think the age of imavov could work against him in this one at just 24 years of age hes got a lot of time to grow and develop whereas Phil Hawes will know hes 32 right now and if he really wants to make a decent run then he needs to stay in the winning column and i think he will be the hungrier fighter out of the two for that reason alone. I see another quick KO for Phil Hawes here.

* Edited at 01.01.2021, 1:15 AM ET *

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,544
  • Post Score: 262

01.01.2021 | 5:45 PM ET

@chessim The difference is that Max beat Volkonoski  the 2nd time out ,but 2  retarted judge score it to Volkonovski. One of the thing that piss me off most about MMA is that they never give close fight to the contender. The only time i rembeber the contender getting the belt after a close fight is Triple C and that probley just wanted to end Demetrius reign which almost ended the flyweight in the UFC. I find it kinda ****** because if you win by a centimeter or a miles, you still win . And Holloway won that fight even tho Volk made it close in the end. And dummies say that it good that the champ get the win in close fight, But I think the Champ is the best in the division

"Quack quack quack"

zacksmmachat
zacksmmachat
  • Predictions:  98  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 400

01.01.2021 | 6:13 PM ET

@the_jakethomas worst event poster in recent memory.

"I smell like alcohol and cigarettes"

Chessum1995
Chessum1995
  • Predictions:  1,559  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  43
  • Post Score: 365

01.01.2021 | 11:03 PM ET

@DamienHandel420

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 6 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 50th with 19 others

I agree with you, i think that Holloway should have won the second fight, thats why i said "when one person has lost twice on paper" because i believe in reality Volk won the first fight and Holloway won the second like a lot of people do. But the fact is both fights were very close to the point where niether fighter could 100% know they won until the scores were announced (Especially with some of the poor judging). But like you said, judges seem to always favour the current champ in closely contested fights. im sure their will be a 3rd fight at some point, if Holloway beats Kattar decisively and maybe one more in the top 5 then he will get another shot. If he gets through Kattar then maybe he fights the winner of Yair vs Zabit if that fight eventually happens after yair`s ban is up in march. Im sure everyone would agree either of them would be a great fight!

* Edited at 01.01.2021, 11:10 PM ET *

BetAgainstMe2Win
BetAgainstMe2Win
  • Predictions:  530  |  56.2%
  • Forum Posts:  99
  • Post Score: 230

01.01.2021 | 11:43 PM ET

Holloway beats Kattar. Then it'll be Holloway  vs current champion (who I think will be Ortega) wins back the belt..then Holloway fights Alexander again and loses his belt again because of judges. Sad but true. lol

* Edited at 01.01.2021, 11:43 PM ET *

Tap867
Tap867
  • Predictions:  3,133  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  560
  • Post Score: 211

01.02.2021 | 4:07 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 4 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 275 Points   |   Tied for 2097th

Imavov vs. Hawes
Phil Hawes, TKO, R2
Pretty impressed with Hawes. Looks good, hits hard, and appears to keep going. Imavov could be in some trouble here.

"Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights. - Ronnie Coleman"

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,142
  • Post Score: 333

01.02.2021 | 7:41 AM ET

Predictions: 3 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 175 Points   |   Tied for 2978th

@damien i agree but I can think of a few contenders who won the belt by the slightest of margins controversially. Frankie Edgar vs BJ Penn 1(not the rematch) and Benson Henderson over Frankie Edgar. Its early but i am sure theres more examples

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,142
  • Post Score: 333

01.02.2021 | 7:42 AM ET

Predictions: 3 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 175 Points   |   Tied for 2978th

Need caffeine and coffee 

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

bartek_bytom01
bartek_bytom01
  • Predictions:  36,421  |  76.4%
  • Forum Posts:  62
  • Post Score: 142

01.02.2021 | 8:25 AM ET

Simon vs Kelleher( postive test) out

Covid.....
Good fight is out
NickySwaz
NickySwaz
  • Predictions:  2,790  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  941
  • Post Score: 298

01.02.2021 | 9:16 AM ET

I think the fight is lined really well, very even, but this isn’t going to be a walk in the park for max and he can easily need the smelling salts in there

"“What happened to you, USA? Wake up, USA! Go! Go back for you, go! Go for Jesus. No forgay Jesus people." -Yoel Romero"

2021.01.02 10:23 AM ET

event start time updated

From Saturday, January 16 at 5:00pm ET to Saturday, January 16 at 12:00pm ET
HiDefff
HiDefff

01.02.2021 | 10:33 AM ET

love the early start 
Hope the Wednesday one starts early as well so I have a reason to take a half day at work. 
Loganarsenal
Loganarsenal
  • Predictions:  6,522  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  97
  • Post Score: 193

01.02.2021 | 1:38 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 4 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 275 Points   |   Tied for 2097th

Holloway vs. Kattar
Max Holloway, DEC
Hard fight to call, Kattar boxing is so crisp, but Holloway has been one of the best for a long time, however this fight just doesn't really excite me as much as it should, i'll side with Holloway.

Simón vs. Kelleher
Ricky Simón, DEC
This fight is now off due to COVID.

Vieira vs. Hernandez
Rodolfo Vieira, SUB, R1
Anthony Hernandez got subbed by Markus Perez... so if he thinks he isn't getting subbed by Rodolfo Vieria then he's got another thing coming. I don't need to say anymore than that..

Akhmedov vs. Breese
Tom Breese, TKO, R3
Akhmedov doesn't fill me with confidence at all, he looked poor against Weidman. Breese only 2 losses are Strickland and Brendan Allen, no shame in that. People forget Breese is still only 29, i just really fancy Breese getting the victory here, also never go against the English!!!

Ponzinibbio vs. Li
Santiago Ponzinibbio, DEC
Jingliang Li is a good fighter but out of his depth here, as long as the long lay off doesn't effect Santiago then this is Ponzinibbio's fight all day long.

Buckley vs. Di Chirico
Joaquin Buckley, TKO, R2
Di Chirico loses this all day long, Buckley is looking very good and still young, i can see Di Chirico getting absolutely murdered in his last UFC fight before getting cut.

Condit vs. Brown
Carlos Condit, DEC
Always liked Condit, glad he's returned and glad he looked good after so long out, Matt Brown is 40 for gods sake, i can't see Condit losing this.

Tafa vs. Felipe
Justin Tafa, TKO, R1
2 useless heavyweights. Should be good for seeing a KO but that's all. Felipe's record flatters him. Tafa got knocked the **** out by De Castro. i'm leaning towards Tafa however wouldn't touch this in a parlay, anything can happen at heavyweight.

Moras vs. Melo
Sarah Moras, DEC
Boringggg

Kilburn vs. Lingo
Austin Lingo, TKO, R1
Should be a routine victory for Lingo.

Soriano vs. Todorović
Duško Todorović, TKO, R2
This is a close fight, much closer than the percentages suggest. 2 young unbeaten fighters slugging it out, someone is going to sleep just a question of who. I'll lean towards Todorovic but for no particular reason, Soriano has every chance of winning this.

Lentz vs. Grundy
Mike Grundy, DEC
Grundy started well against Evloev but ended up losing to what is a future champ in my opinion. Lentz is getting on now, has a lot of experience but i see the younger more physical fighter winning this, also never go against the mighty English!!!

Correia vs. Wu
Yanan Wu, DEC
2 absolutely beautiful women fighting here, stunning specimens. My prediction = couldn't care less.

Zawada vs. Emeev
Ramazan Emeev, DEC
Should be an easy decision win for Emeev. Zawada has a big reach advantage but don't see him being on his feet long enough to use it.

Imavov vs. Hawes
Phil Hawes, TKO, R1
Hawes absolutely destroyed Malkoun, i see the same thing happening to Imavov.

Page 3

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Melissa Gatto fights Tamires Vidal at UFC Fight Night 241 after Hailey Cowan injured
  • MMA Mania : VanZant Stares Down Brooke Ahead Of Misfits Clash
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Best Of Day 4
  • Bad Left Hook : Tellez vs Jackson: Live discussion, 8 pm ET
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Is Just Getting Started Following His Epic BMF Title Win at UFC 300: ‘I’m a Young Man’
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping warns Islam Makhachev of 'sniper' Leon Edwards: 'Be careful what you wish for'
  • MMA Mania : Officer ‘Bad Boy’ Reporting For Duty!
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Does the UFC hosting more events on the road mean APEX cards will soon end?
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 ceremonial weigh-in faceoff highlights video, photo gallery
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Declan Moody vs Anton Minenko
  • UFC.com : Bogdan Guskov Wants To Establish Himself As A Contender
  • MMA Mania : Face Off! Nicolau Stares Down Perez At APEX!
  • UFC.com : UFC 5 Brings Gamers Closer To The Action Than Ever
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in results: 2 fighters miss weight
  • MMA Junkie : NAC withholds earnings from two UFC 300 winners; hearings scheduled
  • Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Turned Down a Clash with Ketlen Vieira at UFC 303: ‘Stop Running and Sign the Contract’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results: Two fighters heavy – including 2.5-pound miss
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 video: Matheus Nicolau, Alex Perez make weight in Las Vegas