Topic: UFC Fight Night 102

UFC Fight Night 102

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,980  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

10.14.2016 | 8:18 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 680 Points   |   Tied for 309th

Apparently this is getting headlined by...Derrick Lewis vs. Shamil Abdurakhimov, which sounds like one of the worst headliners in a while.

Randy Brown-Charlie Ward, Oluwale Bamgbos-Joe Gigliotti, Keith Berish - Ryan Janes, Corey Anderson - Sean O'Connell were all also announced.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/10/14/13291220/derrick-lewis-vs-shamil-abdurakhimov-headlines-ufc-albany-more-bouts

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

UFC Fight Night 102
  • Friday 12.09.2016 at 05:45 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: UFC Fight Pass
  • Name: UFC Fight Night 102: Lewis vs. Abdurakhimov
  • Also Known As: UFC Fight Night Albany
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: Times Union Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Brian Stann
  • Ring Announcer: Joe Martinez
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Jon Anik
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $411,000
  • Attendance: 6,216
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Derrick Lewis   defeats   Shamil Abdurakhimov   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   3:42 Round 4 of 5, 18:42 Total Bout Page
Francis NGannou   defeats   Anthony Hamilton   via Submission, Kimura   1:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Corey Anderson   defeats   Sean O'Connell   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   2:36 Round 2 of 3, 7:36 Total Bout Page
Gian Villante   defeats   Saparbeg Safarov   via KO/TKO, Punches and Elbows   2:54 Round 2 of 3, 7:54 Total Bout Page
Justine Kish   defeats   Ashley Yoder   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Randy Brown   defeats   Brian Camozzi   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:25 Round 2 of 3, 6:25 Total Bout Page
Gerald Meerschaert   defeats   Joe Gigliotti   via Submission, Anaconda Choke   4:12 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Andrew Sanchez   defeats   Trevor Smith   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Shane Burgos   defeats   Tiago Trator   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Marc Diakiese   defeats   Frankie Perez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ryan Janes   defeats   Keith Berish   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Juliana Lima   defeats   JJ Aldrich   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses

unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

10.14.2016 | 9:02 PM ET

Predictions: 12 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 780 Points   |   Tied for 21st with 8 others

It looks like the UFC is sending a message to Albany that they're not special even though they're apart of NY.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

dtrain24
dtrain24
  • Predictions:  11,983  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  3,212
  • Post Score: 235

10.14.2016 | 9:40 PM ET

Predictions: 12 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 770 Points   |   Tied for 32nd with 13 others

I think Sterling vs. Assuncao would have been the best main event to make given the fights on this card. 

Still, good for The Black Beast getting a spotlight, I suppose.

"His legacy is money. My legacy is smesh." -Khabib

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

10.14.2016 | 10:11 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 655 Points   |   Tied for 366th

I just think they are trying to draw attention to new HW contenders. They need people to start to recognize the HWs sooner rather than later. By putting them at the top of the card it's UFCs way to tell the fans to pay attention to one of these two guys. My bet is they are trying to build Lewis as a contender and hoping for a spectacular KO finish.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

10.15.2016 | 9:23 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 626th

Possibly the worst main event ever, at least on paper.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

10.15.2016 | 9:43 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 605 Points   |   Tied for 543rd

Not just on paper ... this could turn out to be fight of the year (it won't) and it would still be a horrendous main event. Since so far this whole card is a bunch prelim fights (barring Assuncao vs. Sterling), I guess it's only fitting the main event will be an undercard-level fight too.

That's how much the UFC loves you Albany. The UFC's "New York obsession" was all about the city not the state.

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

10.16.2016 | 3:46 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 580th

I hate it when people complain about a lack of big names on a card. If the fights are good, who cares?

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

Huiop532
Huiop532
  • Predictions:  9,220  |  58.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,534
  • Post Score: 206

10.16.2016 | 3:55 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 605 Points   |   Tied for 520th

I agree with that to a certain extent. If you want people to watch, you'll need bigger names on the card. I mean, I'm not gonna be as intrigued by a card headlined with Lewis/Shamil, as I would be by a card like 205. That's not to say that the fights are gonna be more exciting, but it's sure as hell gonna get way more attention and views than a card like this. Even if Conor wasn't on the card, it would still get a lot more exposure than this one. 
I watch every card I can, even if it's a weak sauce card like this, because I enjoy watching fights, but it's really not gonna appeal to the casuals whatsoever.
unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

10.16.2016 | 4:10 PM ET

Predictions: 12 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 780 Points   |   Tied for 21st with 8 others

I'm not going to lie, when there's a big card with fights that I'm excited about, I obviously enjoy the lead up to those more. I savor the anticipation just as much as the actual fights themselves.

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.16.2016 | 4:23 PM ET

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 670 Points   |   Tied for 323rd

If Lewis can get a highlight reel finish, than this discussion about the main event could become a moot point.  The problem is that heavyweight fights are unpredictable as **** and can either result in a spectacular finish (ex. Miocic's KO on Overeem) or can become a 3 to 5 round trainwreck (ex. most fights with Jared Roshalt in the UFC).  Not only that, Lewis is going against Abdurahimov, who has become a decision magnet, as four of his last five wins came via decision (and uninteresting decision wins at that).  It would be one thing if they gave Lewis a big test like JDS.  But this?  I know they need to build contenders, but this is a risky gambit the UFC is playing here.

To me, they would have been better off having Sterling vs Assuncao as the main event and have Lewis vs Abdurahimov co-main.

I just hope they can put together a good co-main that can offset this main event, should it be less than stellar.

"..."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

10.16.2016 | 4:34 PM ET

@yasdas

The problem isn't the names per say.  It's the fight that is the main event.  Like Lewis vs Abdurahimov is alright for a 3 rounder and would fit on the main card.  But as a five round heavyweight main event?  It's a potential **** show on the levels of Kimbo vs Dada 5000. If both guys gas and it grinds on to be a 5 round decision fest, this will look so bad on the UFC's part.  Especially since they have an important top 10 Bantamweight contenders fight on the same card in Assuncao vs Sterling.  If Lewis or Abdurahimov can get the KO early and prevent this from being a grinding wrestlefest for 5 rounds, I will be okay with it.  But seeing how Abdurahimov is now a decision machine and how Lewis can struggle with grapplers, color me skeptical of this fight being a fun heavyweight slugfest.

"..."

yasdas
yasdas
  • Predictions:  2,597  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  517
  • Post Score: 140

10.16.2016 | 4:40 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 580th

I agree that Assuncao-Sterling would be a better main event, I just don't like it when people say things along the lines of "this is a ****** card" just because every fight on the card isn't Conor McGregor fighting Ronda Rousey. Polo Reyes vs Dong Hyun Kim was the best fight on UFC 199, and nobody was talking about it at all leading up to the event.

"I must become shape" - Khabib Nurmagomedov

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

10.16.2016 | 5:00 PM ET

@yasdas

You'll have no disagreement from me on that.  I think many people here (even a decent majority of the Conor fans on here) don't judge a card because the most popular names aren't on it.  Again, what we are frustrated with is that, of all the fights they could have made the main event, they picked the one that is a borderline main card fight which has the highest probability of being an absolute disaster.  And I say that as one of the few people on the forum who actually likes watching Heavyweight MMA and freakshow fights.

I like watching MMA, regardless of what named fighters are on the card, but making Assuncao vs Sterling the main event for Albany should have been a no brainer.

"..."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter cusses out judge, tells them to quit
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Sean O'Malley on delay for Merab Dvalishvili title bout: 'I'm not fighting out of the country'
  • MMA Mania : BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith stands by Alex Pereira criticism but promises he’s not just ‘talking sh*t’ about him
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Mania : Hunt Files To Unseal All Docs In UFC-Lesnar Lawsuit
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall signed with PFL for Claressa Shields rematch: 'The goal is to make a build-up'
  • MMA Mania : NSAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopes?!?
  • MMA Mania : NAC To Fine Biters, Brawlers And Diego Lopez?!
  • MMA Junkie : Raw video: Max Holloway's BMF-ness, Conor's first belt and more UFC legendary moments – without commentary
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Amanda Ribas details recent stalker encounter: ‘He was telling people I was his wife’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream (noon ET)
  • MMA Junkie : Scale snafus: UFC official weigh-in misses in 2024