Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Gane vs. Spivac

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,475
  • Post Score: 46

06.05.2023 | 10:02 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 09.02.2023 at 12:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN+ | Prelims: ESPN+
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Accor Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Paul Felder, John Gooden, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Interviews: Michael Bisping | Backstage: Heidi Androl
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $4,000,000
  • Attendance: 15,610
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Ciryl Gane   defeats   Serghei Spivac   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:44 Round 2 of 5, 8:44 Total Bout Page
Manon Fiorot   defeats   Rose Namajunas   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Benoit Saint-Denis   defeats   Thiago Moisés   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:44 Round 2 of 3, 9:44 Total Bout Page
Volkan Oezdemir   defeats   Bogdan Guskov   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:46 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
William Gomis   defeats   Yanis Ghemmouri   via KO/TKO, Body Kick   2:20 Round 3 of 3, 12:20 Total Bout Page
Morgan Charriere   defeats   Manolo Zecchini   via KO/TKO, Body Kicks   3:51 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Taylor Lapilus   defeats   Caolán Loughran   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ange Loosa   defeats   Rhys McKee   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nora Cornolle   defeats   Joselyne Edwards   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Farid Basharat   defeats   Kleydson Rodrigues   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   4:15 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jacqueline Cavalcanti   defeats   Zarah Fairn   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 18

Arturo Gatti
Arturo Gatti
  • Predictions:  524  |  77.9%
  • Forum Posts:  142
  • Post Score: -31

08.31.2023 | 8:33 PM ET

Ghemmouri is not horrible; he is should be on a DWCS card not an international card, he has below average standup, serviceable kicks, horrible kicks defense, decent wrestling and takedowns, bad BJJ.  His best assist is his composure in the ring, and his ability to not over commit; but he is boring to watch. I intensely dislike Gomis and think he is trash, but if this fight goes to the scorecards, I’m sure the decision will go the way of the popular vote.
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,472  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32,636
  • Post Score: 89

08.31.2023 | 8:35 PM ET

Prelim Breakdowns

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 570 Points   |   Tied for 1147th

Lapilus vs Loughran 
Lapilus DEC 
Another great fight but this one also bothers me because caolan went from a layup to a very very tough fight. Really annoys me because I think hes talented, yet everyone on tapology is gonna be calling him a fraud after he loses. I will admit, caolan has a very awkward style, but it works. He stands almost completely still, waiting for an opening & then he lets go with powerful strikes. He is stiff and his defense looks very weird but he is really good at finding openings on his opponents. His last fight was not the best look; hazan was a wrestler not known for his hands & he was touching up caolan quite a bit. Now, caolan did win the round but it was definitely a little concerning. However, I do think part of the reason hazan had so much success was due to caolan not respecting his striking at all. Caolan is a very ****y person by nature so while he isnt scared of anyone, being so ****y could also lead to his downfall, as he underestimates everyone. At the same time, he is not short on confidence. This is good because he believes in himself & isnt scared of anyone. That takes away ufc jitters and he also knows exactly who hes facing. HOwever, these intangibles only go so far. Lapilus is a very good striker. Taylor has a crazy reach for a bw (73 inches is insane) and knows exactly how to use it. He likes to keep the distance and counter strike. Volume and aggressiveness could be better but the dude is a sniper. Lapilus also starts off slow in round 1 so that could be a caveat here. However, when he gets going he is scary. He can also deal with pressure very well as we saw in the breno fight. So, even though he wants a slow paced fight he can deal with a brawl no issue. IN that breno fight he was just murdering him (i counted 3 knockdowns in round 1). An interesting path to victory for caolan is the wrestling. Caolan is one of the few guys in the Ireland/UK area who can wrestle. Caolan is very good at timing his shots & when he has gotten people down he was beaten them with ease. Caolan is really strong on top and hits hard. Hes also short and stocky which is the perfect build for a wrestler. Lapilus has historically had very good tdd. The only person ive really seen ragdoll him was lavrynytev, but he is a super high level judoka (and lapilus was losing due to tosses and throws in the clinch, not wrestling takedowns). However, most of these french guys cant actually wrestle, so maybe caolan shows us something here. However, as much as I liek caolan, I think lapilus is just too big a step up currently. He has tons of experience at a high level & is just overall a really good fighter. 

Loosa vs Mckee  
Loosa DEC 
This is a sleeper FOTN right here. I was really shocked to see mckee was getting another ufc shot. Hes fun but yu dont often see people get a second ufc chance after going winless in their first tenure. While he is on a winstreak currently, Rhys has not improved at all to me. He has his confidence back since he is fighting people on his level but, all his flaws that got exposed in the ufc are still there. For starters, rhys just cant wrestle at all. Burlinson was taking him down at will & dominating him there. Its also alarming no just how easy it is to get rhys down, but how easy it is to pass hia guard and mount him. Rhys just appears to have little to no awareness on the ground. Now, Loosa is not a wrestler by trade but, he does have it in his back pocket so if hes feeling it on the feet at all, he will have success wrestling. At least, he should; Loosa isnt the best offensive wrestler, he usually has to try a few times to get a td. However, I think he will have very easy takedowns against Rhys. On the feet, I expect this to be a war. Both guys are high volume strikers & both dont shy away from a brawl. One of the other flaws that Rhys has is his striking defense. In his first tenure, Rhys was a punching bag. His defense hasnt improved since jsut again, hes fighting guys on his level so it looks better. Loosa is hittable too but he is very good at rolling with punches. He gets hit but doesnt really seem to be affected much. Loosa also has a gigachin; he has been able to eat punches from some very good guys and been unaffected. He did get put out on his feet by fletcher, which isnt the best look but, fletcher does hit very hard. Loosa is also pretty small compared to Rhys. Rhys has pretty sharp boxing. Despite having so amny kos, Rhys is not a one punch ko type of guy. Instead, he breaks you down by attacking all parts of the body until the opponent cant take anymore damage. Rhys throws punches very fast and everything is thrown straight and down the middle. Given that Loosa is a counter puncher & smaller, I could see him having a lot of issues with the length of rhys. However, Loosa is so good at counter striking so I think he will be able to land on rhys, especially given that rhys has no head movement. I think this fight is decently close but I favor Loosa due to level of competition. Rhys is going life and death with CW level fighters, along with his major flaws not really being improved. Loosa may not have many signature wins, but he has been competitive with some very good strikers. Even if hes not winning moments, he is doing a good job of staying composed and firing back against really high level strikers. I think his experience in these types of firefights is gonna shine through here. Of course, there is also the wrestling that loosa can go to if rhys is hurting him. Regardless of outcome, this fight should be a banger; wouldnt be shocked at all if this ends up being FOTN. 

Cornolle vs Edwards  
Edwards DEC 
This one annoys me because I like cornolle & hate Edwards, yet sadly this is gonna be another boring decision by edwards. Edwards is so bad but somehow keeps finding ways to win. She is a repeat weight misser, is clueless off her back, cant wrestle, and only wins by leg kicking and avoiding throwing punches. Edwards is a point fighter. She has little to no boxing and instead just moves around throwing leg kicks. Her lack of boxing is honestly laughable; she doesnt put her hands up and hates pressure. She has really no threat with her hands at all. What makes edwards so annoying (among other things) is that because she throws a lot of leg kicks, she is able to make all her fights very close. I honestly thought she lost to both pascual and Pudilova (the latter was a blatant robbery) and her win over kim (a career FLW on short notice) was not very inspiring. We’ve seen how bad pascual is and she was able to make the fight close by literally just pressuring edwards. Edwards did her usual stick, move, and leg kick strategy but when pascqual pressured her, she was actually hurting edwards. Then the pudilova fight was just a bad decision; she got clearly out controlled the whole fight. Now, why am I picking someone who has close fights with bums & losses to even worse fighters? Well, I think cornolle is a fraud. Pains me to say that because ive been watching her since she was 2-0 & I love her style but, she doesnt seem ready for the ufc imo. For starters, Cornolle is 34 years old and only been doing mma for 2 years. If she was younger I wouldnt be concerned but being 34 and just switching to mma is a little off putting. Even watching her fight, as fun as she is, she does not look ufc level. Cornolle comes from a muay thai background; she throws a lot of leg kicks and has some decent boxing. Where she is best is the clinch. NOw, she may not have a good understanding of how to grapple/approach the clinch but what she does do is stay very active. She throws tons of knees and elbows in the clinch & is really good at staying active there. I’ve seen her use some grappling, but its all head & arm throws so nothing crazy. Edwards has awful wrestling but I dont see her getting caught with one of those throws. Also, Cornolle immediately attacks subs whenever her fights go to the ground, so edwards should have no issue getting back up. However, the most suspect thing to me was Cornolle’s last fight. She fought a 4-2 girl; not a good record but the best person shes fought thus far. IN that fight, she was really getting her ass kicked everywhere until the stoppage. Gabner was hurting her badly (head snapping with every punch), she was countering everything cornolle was strying to do, and was just overall stifling her whole game just by being active. The finish was very odd; she threw a half assed oblique kick & gabner just told the ref she was done and quit. If Cornolle was getting worked by a 4-2 girl, I worry what a ufc level opponent (albeit a borderline ufc level opponent) is gonna do to her. Then again, Cornolle could bum rush edwards off the bat and make me look ******** but im gonna take my chances with edwards here.

Basharat vs KR  
Basharat DEC 
Really good fight right here but also very out of place for this card. I know they needed fights but this is really random matchmaking; I guess farid needed an opponent and KR was done with flyweight. Moving up was necessary for KR but in the end im not sure moving up is the best move for him. It will make the weight cut easier (at least i think, hes still insanely muscular) but hes now giving up size and speed which were two things he enjoyed as a flyweight. KR’s whole style is predicated on his fast-twitch movement and athleticism. KR is a freak athlete and it factors heavily into his game. He is super explosive and everything he throws is flashy and thrown with full power. On the feet, I feel like he just throws whatever he wants but it just flows together. KR hits really hard & is fast and dynamic but one problem with his style is hes too explosive. For example, in th shannon ross fight he spun so hard that he literally gave ross his back. Now, its shannon ross so of course nothing happened but any good grappler would take advantage of this. Another issue with this style is its taxing on cardio. I already mentioned KR is a huge 125er and all muscle, so that already limits his cardio but, putting all this explosivity into each strike or constantly doing spinning **** is taxing on the gas tank regardless of cardio. Even moving up im not sure his cardio will be totally fixed, but I guess thats something we will find out on saturday. While he is a striker by trade, KR has decent grappling as well. He doesnt use it a ton but will occasionally grapple. His defense is also pretty good but he is susepctible to being taken down. KR doesnt have the best technique on the ground but he is usually able to get up by exploding back to his feet & creating a scramble. This usually works at 125 but now up a weight lass who knows? Even if he is able to do this, its gonna require even more energy than hes used to expending. Then we have farid. Watching his debut live, I was not that impressed. ON second watch, I can out very impressed. OUtside of a few shots and sub attempt in round 3, Farid really just outclassed da’mon (even more impressive given how good damon has looked recently). Farid was outstriking him with ease, defending all the takedowns, and outgrappled da’mon. I still dont think farid is as good as his brother but, he fights the same way & also has a very well rounded skillset. On the feet, he doesnt have a ton of power but picks you apart with volume. He is kick heavy and is a very good counter striker. Like his brother, Farid also has really good striking defense however, its not as good as his brothers; ive seen farid get dropped before. It also doesnt help farid has a really disproportionate head for his body. Farid also has grappling & mixes it in much more than his brother. Farid is not a submission guy, instead using his wrestling/bjj to maintain & control position on the mat, while raining down gnp. Overall, I think the power and flashiness goes to KR, but the technical prowess goes to farid. Every time KR lands it will have an impact but I think farid is too smart for him. He will definitely capitalize if KR spins and gives his back or he will counter when KR leaves an opening. He also has a big grappling advantage. Even if KR is able to explode back up, if Farid repeatedly takes him down it will tax on the gas tank. Really good fight, I expect this to be one of the best on this card.  

Fairn vs Cavalcanti  
Cavalcanti KO RD 1 
Was wondering when cavalcanti was gonna make her debut. These random, one-off wmma signings by the ufc almost always suck but cavalcanti is one of the few good ones. For starters, she is under the age of 30 so thats aready significantly younger than the girls the ufc signs normally. Cavalcanti is huge for the weight class and possesses a ton of power. It was really impressive watching her just toy with her last opponent. She scored I think 4-5 knockdowns throughout the fight; it was a flawless performance. Not much needs to be said about fairn. Shes a relic left behind from when the ufc tried to make a FW division. Fairn just should not be in the ufc. Shes 40, cant make weight half the time, and is 0-3 in the ufc. Her last fight she actually make it competitive, but still lost clearly. I think the only reason the fight was closer than it shouldve been was because fairn had a massive size advantage and also some string technique compared to none from nunes. Watching her get outstruck, hurt, and pressured by a midget was such a bad look. Now shes fighting a girl bigger than her, younger than her, and one who can actually strike. I know picking a ko in wmma is risky but I dont believe fairn is gonna like being hit & considering shes been rocked by much smaller, much worse girls i dont think this is gonna end well for her. 

* Edited at 08.31.2023, 8:36 PM ET *

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  53,267  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,360
  • Post Score: 168

08.31.2023 | 8:41 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 1953rd

Fiorot vs. Namajunas
Manon Fiorot, DEC
This is a rough comeback fight for Rose Namajunas.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

08.31.2023 | 8:43 PM ET

Main Card Breakdowns

Gane vs Spivak  
Gane KO RD 3

I feel the reason this fight is lined so close is recency bias to the max. Just last year, gane was considered the best heavyweight in the world. Everyone and their mother was on gane and you couldnt find him lower than -300 against anyone. I'm not excusing his loss to jones because, as bad as it was, its jon jones. We also know gane cant wrestle but theres like 3-4 heavyweights that actually can. So, this seems cut and dry; either spivak gets the takedown and dominates or he doesn’t, and gets slept. However, I dont think the path is that easy. Gane and Ngannou made it look very easy but spivak pales in comparison to those two. We all know gane cant grapple but facing a ranked wrestler vs two elite, upper echelon heavyweights is sooo different its not even comparable. Spivak can definitely get gane down but I think he is going to have a very hard time tracking him in there. Gane's distance management and footwork are impeccable & I think spivak is gonna have difficulty getting ahold of him; being able to take someone down is one thing, being able to track their movements and close the distance is another. Compared to gane, spivak is really slow and not nearly as athletic. Also one thing nobody has really talked about this week, the gap on the feet is just as wide as the gap on the ground. Spivak is not a great striker & hates getting hit; Gane is the best striker at hw. I think once spivak gets hit cleanly, he is going to freak out and try to force takedowns. If he does this, I think he is gonna become very telegraphed and gane will pick up on that. I also think spivak’s wrestling/grappling is being overrated simply because of Gane’s deficiencies on the ground; this is the same fighter who lost a round to oleinik. Spivak doesnt wrestle like ngannou or jones tho Spivak’s wrestling is all based on judo throws in the clinch, he doesn’t shoot doubles/singles nor does he utilize cage wrestling. And how do judo practitioners get their throws off? Well, they have to clinch; good luck trying to close the distance against Gane. Sure, you can use the excuse that Jones was able to do it, but spivak is not gonna be able to make that read nor does he shoot anything close to what Jones did. In my opinion, the only reason this is lined close is recency bias. A lot of people are salty that gane got wrecked against jones & are spite betting spivak because of his lack of wrestling. I think he will dominate

Fiorot vs Namajunas  
Fiorot DEC 
I honestly dont care too much about this one. I lost all interest in rose after her last few fights. I dont even need to touch on the esparza fight but what was even more concerning to me was her grappling appearance last year. I know its grappling but it wasnt that she lost, it was how she looked. Rose didnt make a single competitive effort in that fight. She showed up for the paycheck & got subbed instantly. It didnt seem like she wanted to be there and there was 0 motivation shown. Then, it came out in an interview that she had been contemplating retirement after the esparza fight. These are never good signs in a fighter so definitely a few red flags raised after that. When shes at her best, Rose is among the best women in the world. Shes always been really good everywhere. Her bread and butter has always been bjj but her striking is really underrated. I mean, her wins over Joanna (first fight) and weili (first fight) are so impressive; you dont see women getting kos like that in mma. What this really comes down to is 2 things. 1. Does rose adapt to 125 well? Shes been a career 115er and now going up against a very strong, very big 125er. And 2. Does rose actualyl want to be there? If she shows up, i dont think this will be that close. When shs on her A game, Rose is so good everywhere. Her striking is much better than Fiorot’s, especially considering she does more than a side kick and spam 1-2’s. However, I am picking fiorot due to size advantage. Fiorot outgrappled MBS who is now the no.1 contender at 135 so that says a lot about her strength.

Saint Denis vs Moises  
Moises DEC
Unofficial main event right here. I like BSD a lot but the love hes getting is insane to me. This guy was an underdog in every ufc fight  and now ive seen people saying BSD is a future champ & an elite grappler? Thats crazy to me. Again, I really like the guy but where were all these people in his last couple fights? Moises is the unofficial gatekeeper to the top 15. Hes not known for his striking but I think it is pretty good. His hands are sharp and I really like his counter striking. He isnt a crazy hard hitter but definitely throws with more power than you would expect. BSD on the other hand is really aggressive; however, its not pretty. BSD has to weather a storm almost every fight. He is ridiculously durable but he takes so much damage each time. The zaleski fight alone probably took 10 years off his life & then i remember stolze hitting him with a brutal flying knee. Weirdly enough, he was doing a ton of work on the feet against bonfim. I think it should be noted that bonfim was massively disadvantaged in size. It really looked like a WW vs a FW in there. Not to make excuses for BSD since he looked amazing but, theres no denying the size advantage played a role in that fight. BSD will be landing harder shots and pushing the pace but moises will be able to land pretty easily since BSD is a punching bag. The grappling is where this gets very interesting. Obviously, we are familiar with what BSD can do on the mat; I actually really like his wrestling. He gets you up against the cage & uses the fence to get you down. ONce down, he does things like triangling the legs so that you cant escape and he is just as aggressive in chasing a sub as he is on the feet. Now, Moises is a very good grappler himself. People may not realize since hes lost to every grappler hes fought in the ufc but the guy is good. Hes a black belt at ATT so you know he is getting good practice in. Much like his best friend Grant Dawson, moises’s grappling approach is simple; get a takedown, swing to the back, and either get an rnc or ride out control. In fact, most people dont know but moises is actually the one who taught that to dawson. Sure, moises can be taken down and even subbed but its not as easy as it seems. It took islam 4 rounds to finish him & even then moises had some moments in that fight. Looking at it, the only people to realyl dominate moises on the mat are islam and beneil, two of the msot elite grapplers in the division. To top it off, moises fought beneil in his debut when he was only 23. I actually think this is a very competitive fight. Maybe I look like an idiot and BSD is actually that good but I think there is a LOT of recency bias here. I think this is a really close fight but I actually favor moises due to experience; he had his time being fed to the top but now that hes had experience and time to mature, I think he will show a lot of improvements here. 

Oezdemir vs Guskov  
Oezdemir KO RD 1
Really odd one here. Guskov is such a random signing. Sure, he looks cool on paper with his finishes but this guy screams big time fraud to me. His record is super padded with cans & the best guy he fought ran through him with ease. Some of his fights are suspect too; his fight vs litvin legitimately looked like a dive. Litvin put up 1 minute of effort and folded with the first 1-2 guskov landed. His fight with slava was really telling. Slava was just pumping out a jab and it ha guskov so confused. Guskov is so used to being able to march forward & his opponents doing nothing that he was almost frozen. He had no idea how to fight around the jab and subsequently got slept cold. Despite all these ko’s guskov is really limited. He just headhunts and honestly doesnt put out a ton of volume. He just stalks his opponents and headhunts. Whenever someone starts jabbing he has no idea what to do. Because he stalks so much, guskov also leaves his chin up in the air on every exchange, along with having ********* movement. On the other hand we have oezdemir. Volkan was never really that incredible; just a decent lhw who was in the right place at the right time. He had a good run to start & then hasnt been the same. In recent years, Volkan has devolved into a very slow striker who doesnt look like he wants to be there. His movements are slow, his durability is declining, he doesnt have that same pop in his punches that he used to, hes just looking really old. The Craig fight was really concerning. Ill cut him soem slack since craig is a gimmick fighter & you cant fight him normally but it was not a good performance. He respected craig’s striking way too much, looked timid, didnt move his head at all, and slowed down heavy. However, we have seen some flashes of the old “no time”. For example, the first couple minutes against krylov he looked like himself. Came out at an insane pace and was hurting krylov bad. He did succumb to krylovs pace but honestly the fact he didnt get finished shows me he still has some left in the tank. While his durability is declining, I really doubt guskov can hurt him. If the volkan that showed out early against krylov appears, I think he will run through guskov. Actually, I think he runs through guskov anyways. Yes, he is washed but there is a difference between losing to a top 5/champ and losing to regional fighters. Maye theres some debutant ******** but I really have a hard time seeing how volkan loses. 

Gomis vs Ghemmouri 
Gomis DEC 
I really dont like what ive seen from yanis. His tape outside the ufc is so bad. He is a low volume kickboxer. His striking is very weird; he puts everything into each strike but its also really telegraphed. His leg kicks have a ton of windup on them & his striking defense is also pretty bad. He has some good takedowns in the clinch but not very good grappling. I mean hes been able to rack up control time and get some submissions but its not amazing to me. His movement is also really strange. He leaves his chin up a ton when moving forward but he also doesnt appear to follow any patterns when hes moving. While he does have a wide diversity of kicks, his boxing is really bad. He only throws single shots and its mostly looping hooks. He also never really throws in combinations either. I will say tho, even if they are awkward, every time he lands a strike its very powerful. He has looked pretty good in his last two fights but then again, the two people he fought are also awful. Then we have gomis who, for some reason, gets a lot of hate on here. I get he doesnt have a very exciting style but this guy is good. Hes a massive 145er and is a master of distance management. He is super low volume and prefers to counter strike & wait for openings. What is really unique about gomis is his defense. Gomis has insaenly good head movement, distance management, and footwork. It does make the fight boring at times but its really impressive to watch (imo) because nobody is able to hit him cleanly; hes just so elusive. Gomis is also very good at fighting on the backfoot. He is able to throw back while being pressured and also can throw things like head kicks while moving backwards. Gomis’s other gameplan is to use takedowns in the clinch and grind out rounds from there. Like most frenchmen, gomis cant wrestle but his takedown defense is actually pretty solid. It helps that he is really tall as well. On the feet i think this is gomis all day. Sure, his output might not be there but he is definitely going to see the telegraphed, single shots from yanis all day. Yanis will have a  bigger impact when he lands so I hope that he ups the volume this time around. Im not sure either guy will really have success with takedowns here. I think whoever grapples first is gonna be the one winning those exchanges. Even thought I didnt like what I saw on Yanis’s tape, theres still some unknowns about him so im not super confident in gomis. I do think gomis should take this tho. 

Charriere vs Zecchini  
Charriere KO RD 3
I know a lot of people are upset morgan got signed but imo its totally deserving. Yeah, his record is trash on paper but when you look into it, its not that bad. He lost a lot of fights early on and most of his recent losses have been trash decisions (still thought he beat both bak & vucenic, the hughes fight was also pretty close but I do think morgan lost that one). The reason the UFC signed morgan is because he is a big star in France; he has a large following & always brings a huge crowd to his CW fights. Morgan fights muh better than his record. He is a really powerful striker & also has some really explosive throws in the clinch. However, Morgan has a very bad habit of fighting to the level of his opponents. Even when he fights someone bad he lets them into the fight more than e should be. Besides this, the reason morgan has so many close fights is due to his wrestling mistakes & his lack of kilelr instinct. This lack of instinct is actually very annoying to watch; Morgan will drop his opponents early & really every round but never follows up until late. While he is winning in those moments, he is also letting his opponents recover and giving them more chances than he should be giving. We've seen guys like Semi have this issue and lose a lot when they really shouldnt be. The other issue with morgan is his grappling mistakes. As I mentioned, morgan has these pretty explosive throws in the clinch & will also go to his wrestling at times. His wrestling is serviceable but Morgan doesnt really understand the nuances of wrestling. As a result, he gets reversed a lot/his opponents always find a way back up. If he would just tighten things up this wouldnt be an issue but it keeps happening. Despite these flaws, I do not see morgan losing this one. This guy the ufc found for him is a bottom feeder; honestly not much of a step up from what morgan has been fighting in CW. Zecchini also happens to be the perfect style matchup for morgan. Zecchini is a striker with no wrestling to speak of. He likes to bang it out on the feet & while he does have some cool kos, they are against really bad comp; even worse than what morgan has been facing on his winstreak. His fights are not clean at all; sure manolo throws with a lot of power but he is super sloppy. Gets hit all the time and pretty much no head movement. He also cant wrestle at all so if morgan decides to go that route he should have success. Really i think this all depends on morgan. He could finish this guy easily in round 1, or he could make this a ot closer than it should be. 

* Edited at 08.31.2023, 8:44 PM ET *

mmalchemy
mmalchemy
  • Predictions:  73  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: -260

08.31.2023 | 8:53 PM ET

UFC Fight Night: Gane vs. Spivac : The Machine's Picks

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 3817th

Green is Victor
Red is Loser

mmalchemy.com

* Edited at 08.31.2023, 8:54 PM ET *

Rah123
Rah123
  • Predictions:  1,305  |  66.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,694
  • Post Score: -56

08.31.2023 | 8:58 PM ET

Ayy

Predictions: 9 of 10 Winners, 5 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 891st

Good breakdowns 👍

"Positivity is a positive"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise

08.31.2023 | 9:07 PM ET

Thanks bro 

BoneDoinWork
BoneDoinWork
  • Predictions:  1,830  |  58.7%
  • Forum Posts:  189
  • Post Score: 44

08.31.2023 | 10:06 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 605 Points   |   Tied for 732nd

Fairn vs. Cavalcanti
Jacqueline Cavalcanti, DEC
SA says finished

houdini199x
houdini199x
  • Predictions:  3,950  |  72.9%
  • Forum Posts:  395
  • Post Score: 45

08.31.2023 | 10:37 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 600 Points   |   Tied for 822nd

Allons s'en approprier!!!

"High risk is high adrenaline. ..."

BoneDoinWork
BoneDoinWork
  • Predictions:  1,830  |  58.7%
  • Forum Posts:  189
  • Post Score: 44

08.31.2023 | 10:40 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 605 Points   |   Tied for 732nd

Gane vs. Spivac
Ciryl Gane, TKO, R2
Source A

Fiorot vs. Namajunas
Manon Fiorot, DEC
Source A

Saint-Denis vs. Moisés
Benoit Saint-Denis, TKO, R1
Source A

Oezdemir vs. Guskov
Volkan Oezdemir, TKO, R1
Source A

Gomis vs. Ghemmouri
William Gomis, DEC
Source A

Charriere vs. Zecchini
Morgan Charriere, DEC
Source A

Loosa vs. McKee
Rhys McKee, DEC
Source A

Basharat vs. Rodrigues
Farid Basharat, DEC
Source A

combatinfantry
combatinfantry
  • Predictions:  402  |  64.7%
  • Forum Posts:  37
  • Post Score: 62

08.31.2023 | 11:13 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 2478th

@theoneyah8 
I definitely agree with you. Gane said immediately following the last fight he started working on his TDD...I think that he has the ability to use his athleticism, avoid the takedowns, and knock Spivac's lights out. Also, I think a lot of the hate comes from people that bet on him against JJ and lost money lol

"Learning is a gift, even when pain is your teacher."

combatinfantry
combatinfantry

08.31.2023 | 11:14 PM ET

@AyyLmaonnaise 
agreed! I actually made a comment similar a minute ago!

combatinfantry
combatinfantry

08.31.2023 | 11:15 PM ET

@Rah123 
lmao!

• Predictions:  190  |  56.8%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 78

08.31.2023 | 11:35 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 4292nd

Aspinall vs Pavlovich imo
*****_swaggins
*****_swaggins
  • Predictions:  221  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  309
  • Post Score: 79

09.01.2023 | 12:16 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 6 Winners, 2 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 3542nd

Fiorot vs. Namajunas
Manon Fiorot, DEC
Manon via DEC. Sorry Rose after your last “performance” I can never forgive you for that.

Saint-Denis vs. Moisés
Benoit Saint-Denis, DEC
Benoit - not too sure here. BSD just seems like the better choice.

Oezdemir vs. Guskov
Volkan Oezdemir, TKO, R1
Volka VIA KO/TKO. Has fought better fighters. Evil Anthony Smith has been fighting old cans.

Basharat vs. Rodrigues
Farid Basharat, DEC
Farid via DEC. 30-27

Fairn vs. Cavalcanti
Jacqueline Cavalcanti, TKO
Cavalcanti via KO/TKO. Fairn is old as hell. Super hittable and gasses easily. I know newcomers usually let us down but please put this old hag down.

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,816  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,599
  • Post Score: 261

09.01.2023 | 12:37 AM ET

Jreynold

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 646th

I’m not saying anything about his skills, all I’m saying is he should up the offence because he can be winning better, you can’t score defence, you score offence, he can have unanimous decsion victory (or finish’s) instead of spilt and majority decsion he has agaist the talent of Errens and Marshall if he was just a little bit more aggressive to make it easier on the judges, because we all know the state of MMA judges 

"Quack quack quack"

SigmaMale
SigmaMale
  • Predictions:  444  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  17
  • Post Score: -306

09.01.2023 | 1:52 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 1618th

Gane vs. Spivac
Ciryl Gane, TKO, R3
Alright, so here's why I think Ciryl Gane would take the win against Serghei Spivac. First off, you've got to consider Gane's striking. The guy is a technical wizard when it comes to kickboxing. He doesn't just throw punches and kicks; he's calculating, picking apart his opponent's defense and exploiting weaknesses. That level of skill could really give him the upper hand against Spivac, who might struggle to keep up with such a varied and precise attack. Now, let's talk about Gane's footwork. For a big guy, he moves like he's in a lighter weight class. He's agile, dodging in and out, making himself a tough target to hit. If Spivac can't land his shots, he's going to have a hard time scoring points or looking for a knockout. Gane's elusive style could really get into Spivac's head, forcing him to make mistakes or get reckless, and that's when Gane could capitalize. And don't forget about Gane's cardio. The man can keep up a high pace, round after round. In the heavyweight division, where guys can gas out pretty quickly, that's a huge advantage. If the fight goes into the later rounds, I'd bet on Gane to still be fresh, still be moving, and still be striking effectively. So, when you put it all together—Gane's technical striking, his footwork, and his cardio—I think he's got a really strong case for taking home the win.

Rah123
Rah123
  • Predictions:  1,305  |  66.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,694
  • Post Score: -56

09.01.2023 | 2:49 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 10 Winners, 5 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 891st

Let me clear up a few things for you guys. 

Q - Why is the Basharat fight so early on the prelims?
A - So that the people in Afghanistan can watch (9pm)

Q - Why is Rose moving up a weight class?
A - The UFC wants their Chinese champion. Rose has beat her twice. They don't want that to happen again 

Q - Why is BSD fighting Moises?
A - They know how popular he is in France. They want to give him a name he can beat

Q - Why is Charriere on this card fighting a Zucchini ?
A - Charriere is insanely popular in France so he is fighting a vegetable 

Q - Why is Lapilus on this card?
A - Lapilus is insanely popular in France so he is fighting someone he will beat

Q - Can anyone called Loosa be a winner?
A - No

* Edited at 09.01.2023, 2:50 AM ET *

"Positivity is a positive"

Vandal
Vandal
  • Predictions:  4,527  |  71.3%
  • Forum Posts:  846
  • Post Score: 99

09.01.2023 | 3:02 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 10 of 11 Winners, 6 Perfect, 740 Points   |   Tied for 34th with 3 others

Oezdemir vs. Guskov
Volkan Oezdemir, TKO, R1
This time no time. Guskov is overrated, watch his fights, chin asking for KO

depmode33
depmode33
  • Predictions:  248  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,383
  • Post Score: 183

09.01.2023 | 3:05 AM ET

Jacqueline should technically be undefeated because she didn't lose that fight against Jindrova.  I watched that fight start to finish live and was extremely disappointed in the judges for that split decision. Jacqueline landed the better shots and was the more dominant/active fighter in that matchup.  

Page 18

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Leon Edwards Agrees To Fight Conor McGregor Next After UFC 304, Prefers MSG As Venue
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Themba Gorimbo, Arturo Guillén, UFC Fight Night: Barboza vs Murphy Takeaways
  • Bad Left Hook : RANKINGS: Usyk is king of the heavyweights, plus Loma, Berinchyk, more
  • MMA Junkie : Jacob Brennan, husband/coach of UFC's Hailey Cowan, arrested on child sex crime allegations in Texas
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Details Being ‘Swatted’ After Prank Caller Reported He Killed His Parents
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘The Rock’ transforms into Mark Kerr in first look at new film ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • Bad Left Hook : Should undisputed Usyk retire? And how good is Opetaia?: Boxing’s weekend recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Conor McGregor vs. Leon Edwards? Plus, Usyk vs. Fury instant classic
  • Jits Magazine : Ronin BJJ Camp Ibiza Combines Instruction And Location For The Ideal Training Camp
  • Middle Easy : Michael Bisping Suggests Tyson Fury vs. Francis Ngannou Rematch; Kamaru Usman Wants ‘Predator’ To Face Oleksandr Usyk
  • MMA Junkie : Cage Warriors featherweight Connor Hitchens dead at 26
  • MMA Mania : Poirier Abducted By Bud Light Genie
  • MMAFighting.com : Cage Warriors fighter Connor Hitchens dies at 26
  • UFC.com : Five Islam Makhachev Fights To Watch
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier warns Jon Jones about Stipe Miocic: 'If you overlook him, he will put you out'
  • MMAFighting.com : Eddie Hearn criticizes Ryan Garcia for ‘most stupid, childish behavior’ since positive drug tests
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor ‘Ecstatic’ After Learning About ‘Fat Rat’ Khabib Nurmagomedov’s Alleged Tax Issues With Russian Government
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen says he's boxing Jorge Masvidal in October as result of recent beef
  • MMA Mania : The Rock Unrecognizable In ‘The Smashing Machine’
  • MMAFighting.com : Matt Brown criticizes Jake Paul ‘trying to be f*cking hard’ talking trash to Mike Tyson: ‘So cringe’