Topic: UFC 291

UFC 291: Poirier vs. Gaethje 2

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,380
  • Post Score: 47

05.13.2023 | 11:40 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 291
  • Saturday 07.29.2023 at 07:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ABC
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Vivint Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $6,556,444
  • Attendance: 18,467
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Justin Gaethje   defeats   Dustin Poirier   via KO/TKO, Head Kick   1:00 Round 2 of 5, 6:00 Total Bout Page
Alex Pereira   defeats   Jan Błachowicz   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Derrick Lewis   defeats   Marcos Rogério de Lima   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee to Ground Strikes   0:33 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Bobby Green   defeats   Tony Ferguson   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   4:54 Round 3 of 3, 14:54 Total Bout Page
Kevin Holland   defeats   Michael Chiesa   via Submission, D'arce Choke   2:39 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Gabriel Bonfim   defeats   Trevin Giles   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
CJ Vergara   defeats   Vinicius Salvador   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Roman Kopylov   defeats   Claudio Ribeiro   via KO/TKO, Head Kick   0:33 Round 2 of 3, 5:33 Total Bout Page
Jake Matthews   defeats   Darrius Flowers   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:37 Round 2 of 3, 7:37 Total Bout Page
Uros Medic   defeats   Matthew Semelsberger   via KO/TKO, Spinning Backfist to Ground Strikes   2:36 Round 3 of 3, 12:36 Total Bout Page
Miranda Maverick   defeats   Priscila Cachoeira   via Submission, Armbar   2:11 Round 3 of 3, 12:11 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 9

GreenTeaEnthusiast
GreenTeaEnthusiast

07.22.2023 | 11:02 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 770 Points   |   Tied for 5th with 2 others

Poirier vs. Gaethje II
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R4
This card is stacked to the gills. I'm going against the grain here and backing Gaethje. If anything, their first fight acts as a good indicator of how much better Gaethje has gotten. Poirier, although he's evolved, hasn't experienced nearly as many fundamental stylistic changes in the time since that Gaethje has; and the way Gaethje has changed looks to be very calculated and safe. Gaethje is a much more defensively-aware fighter now, with a timing on his counters that's orders of magnitude greater than their last fight, whereas Poirier is overall much more polished himself. Poirier mentioned how Chandler was looping too much when he had him hurt, and Gaethje being meticulous - I think he'll have picked up on that. I can see this being a closely contested fight where this time, when Gaethje hurts Poirier, he'll pick his shots and eventually put together a finish.

Błachowicz vs. Pereira
Alex Pereira, TKO, R3
This fight is so stupidly close. On the one hand, Pereira hasn't had a long enough recovery period from getting starched 3 months ago. That's a ridiculously quick turnaround, especially considering how badly he got put out. So there's a chance that he doesn't show up anywhere close to 100% and Jan makes him pay for it. On the other hand, though, Jan has had a career-long tendency of dropping his right hand a little low on the entry with his hands. Alex is a studious striker - the last person agaisnt whom you want to have a glaring opening for left hooks. I don't see Jan knocking out Alex; I think he'll largely dominate Pereira here, but the moment that left hook lands - the same way Glover and Izzy rocked him up - the finish will be there.

Ferguson vs. Green
Bobby Green, DEC
Not much to say. Ferguson looks awful these days. Green, although he has seen better days too, is a far superior functional striker right now.

Chiesa vs. Holland
Kevin Holland, SUB, R1
Chiesa will get a takedown and manage to give up his neck in a scramble. It just makes sense.

Latrel Dog
Latrel Dog
  • Predictions:  1,159  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  808
  • Post Score: 159

07.22.2023 | 11:30 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 570 Points   |   Tied for 1003rd

Poirier vs. Gaethje II
Justin Gaethje, TKO, R5
I gotta go with Gaethje here. I thought Fiziev was going to be ahead of Gaethje in the exchanges, but Justin proved me wrong. He's more responsible on the defensive end nowadays, and although I really like DP, I reckon Gaethje has been getting better than him as of late. It's gonna be an amazing one !

Błachowicz vs. Pereira
Alex Pereira, TKO, R3
I gotta go with Pereira here, but Blacho is no slouch on the feet... I think this one will be pretty close, and what worries me is the quick turnaround for Alex after being koed by Izzy. If Pereira wins, imagine him against Adesanya or him against Jiri... Fireworks !

CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,427  |  56.5%
  • Forum Posts:  6,017
  • Post Score: 172

07.22.2023 | 11:45 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 460 Points   |   Tied for 3079th

Poirier vs. Gaethje II
Dustin Poirier, SUB, R3
I don't think we get a slugfest this time around, I think Poirier looks for a way to get Gaethje to the ground and put him to sleep with a RNC or maybe some kind of D'Arce attack in a scramble. Justin can definitely KO him if he follows a calm and patient gameplan like he used against Tony, but I believe that Poirier got better at checking kicks while his MMA wrestling game got stronger, so I see him edge out a win through a more well rounded skill set and gameplan.

Błachowicz vs. Pereira
Jan Błachowicz, SUB, R1
No amount of training with Glover will take away from the natural experience Jan has gained through the high level fights. If he tries to prove a point like Strickland and look for a KO I think he's in for a long night, but if he wants this fight to lead to a title shot he should look towards a path of least resistance. a finish is still a finish, it doesn't need to be a flashy KO.

Ferguson vs. Green
Bobby Green, TKO, R2
Tony Ferguson retirement tour.

Chiesa vs. Holland
Michael Chiesa, SUB, R2
If Chiesa fights smart he should be able to wrestle**** Holland and even find a submission finish, Chiesa is very active. But if he can't get Holland to the ground or if he gets lazy on the feet I think Holland can sleep him in like the first 3 minutes lol

Thompson vs. Pereira
Stephen Thompson, TKO, R3
Going with Wonderboy because I think he has more composure and is more technical, but we've seen him get too comforatable and get caught with wild ****, and Pereira is "wild ****" personified. Either Wonderboy slowly picks him apart or he gets ran through quickly lol

Lewis vs. Rogério de Lima
Derrick Lewis, TKO, R1
fight isn't in Texas so maybe Lewis doesn't randomly quit, but if De Lima makes it out of the 1st round I think he submits Lewis

"🏴 No Quarter Given 🏴"

Mothswords
Mothswords
  • Predictions:  2,566  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,367
  • Post Score: 149

07.22.2023 | 11:57 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 605 Points   |   Tied for 587th

Poirier vs. Gaethje II
Justin Gaethje, DEC
Banger card. Predictions will be hard because of the high elevation playing a huge factor. I'm gonna ignore that this is for the BMF belt because it's so corny but MMA in general is corny so whatever, plus I could watch these 2 fight any day of the week. I'm going gaethje because he trains at high elevation & that's really the main reason. It's a 50/50 fight just sit back and watch the violence

Błachowicz vs. Pereira
Jan Błachowicz, DEC
Pereira has the death touch but I think Jan will be able to out grapple him. Wouldn't be surprised no matter who wins

Ferguson vs. Green
Bobby Green, TKO, R3
I just can't pick Tony. Dudes literally a walking corpse at this point it's depressing.

Chiesa vs. Holland
Kevin Holland, SUB, R3
Holland has pretty bad wrestling/grappling defense but I don't think chiesa is fully committed to the game. I think the fact that he's been out for so long will affect his cardio especially in high elevation. I see him winning the first round but gassing then getting hurt then d'arce choked

Thompson vs. Pereira
Stephen Thompson, DEC
There's no way Pereira doesn't gas 😂. He better pray for a first round finish

Marcos Rogério de Lima, TKO, R1
Derrick Lewis might die at this high of elevation. If this fight makes it out of the first it's gonna be a **** show

Giles vs. Bonfim
Gabriel Bonfim, SUB, R1
Giles is super dangerous and can latch up a sub at any point. I say he gets a guillotine

Kopylov vs. Ribeiro
Roman Kopylov, TKO, R2
Kopylov is way more skilled and ribeiro will definitely gas out at high elevation

Vergara vs. Salvador
CJ Vergara, DEC
Salvador is pretty trash. Vergara isn't that good either but I think he has better cardio and heart

Matthews vs. Flowers
Jake Matthews, SUB, R2
Can't pick a dude making his debut & on short notice at high elevation

Maverick vs. Cachoeira
Priscila Cachoeira, TKO, R1
Fading maverick

Semelsberger vs. Medic
Matthew Semelsberger, TKO, R3
Fun scrap to kick off the card. I don't trust medics cardio at high elevation on short notice

shaneb90
shaneb90
  • Predictions:  1,317  |  58.8%
  • Forum Posts:  115
  • Post Score: 96

07.23.2023 | 12:29 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 510 Points   |   Tied for 2082nd

I think medic will style on the jedi. No way I'd bet the alex v Jan fight, if Jan can take him down he'll probably keep him down and if he can't alex has him covered on the feet. I think Michel grapples here and shuts down wonder boy 
Vandal
Vandal
  • Predictions:  4,492  |  71.3%
  • Forum Posts:  840
  • Post Score: 98

07.23.2023 | 2:38 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 470 Points   |   Tied for 2912th

Poirier vs. Gaethje II
Dustin Poirier, TKO, R4
Gaethje is better and better and one clean shot can put to sleep Dustin, but I go with Poirier. He has better boxing ... and jiu jitsu in his pocket in case he loses the fight on the feet

Błachowicz vs. Pereira
Jan Błachowicz, DEC
Both great fighters, or Perreira puts Jan to sleep, or Jan will outblanket him. Flip coin

Thompson vs. Pereira
Stephen Thompson, TKO, R3
Perreira gases out and I hope will get caught in 3rd

Derrick Lewis, TKO, R1
Lewis needs a V. I think he will fight smart this time

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,424  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  10,664
  • Post Score: 128

07.23.2023 | 5:34 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 485 Points   |   Tied for 2604th

What can Kevin Holland do to Chiesa that Magny couldn't?

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

GreenTeaEnthusiast
GreenTeaEnthusiast

07.23.2023 | 7:21 AM ET

Predictions: 11 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 770 Points   |   Tied for 5th with 2 others

I would say Kevin can capitalize on a lot more sub openings. Kevin is nothing special and I never understood the hype for him as a fighter, but this feels exactly like the type of fight where Chiesa snatches defeat from the jaws of victory.
Vandal
Vandal
  • Predictions:  4,492  |  71.3%
  • Forum Posts:  840
  • Post Score: 98

07.23.2023 | 7:55 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 470 Points   |   Tied for 2912th

Chiesa will outgrapple him and lay 

just my opinion
PiggyBank
PiggyBank
  • Predictions:  1,252  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  722
  • Post Score: 258

07.23.2023 | 10:10 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 1770th

"i "Pick ⛏ Up Truck" all the events on Tapology ! | empty walls of Tapology.... | I don't give a flying F16... | keep ****posting about me... | Get Your Mind Out Of The Gutter... | L☻L | @TARTARABLESS | just let me know... !?"

gliese58i
gliese58i

07.23.2023 | 10:30 AM ET

Are Medic and Semi both still at small regional gyms?

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

Meluka
Meluka
  • Predictions:  303  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  213
  • Post Score: 219

07.23.2023 | 11:08 AM ET

Predictions: 10 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 705 Points   |   Tied for 51st

@gliese58i 
Medic started working at Kings MMA with Cordeiro shortly after his debut, I think he still trains there now but not certain
gliese58i
gliese58i

07.23.2023 | 11:16 AM ET

@Meluka

Thanks that sounds familiar.

Lisac
Lisac
  • Predictions:  1,567  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  416
  • Post Score: 205

07.23.2023 | 12:12 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 620 Points   |   Tied for 401st

Its where Vettori and Dariush trained, although Vettori switched to XC MMA I think
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 1 month, 4 weeks, 7 hours, and 34 minutes from now.
MMAparlay69
MMAparlay69
  • Predictions:  391  |  82.1%
  • Forum Posts:  619
  • Post Score: -18

07.23.2023 | 1:39 PM ET

Predictions: 1 of 2 Winners, 0 Perfect, 50 Points   |   Tied for 6041st

Medic beat up old bum Omar who fought mostly at 145 and idk who else he beat but semelsberger going to smash this kid let’s be real.. I got him at -138 absolute steal
This user is suspended from posting until 8 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, 10 hours, and 32 minutes from now.
gliese58i
gliese58i

07.23.2023 | 2:33 PM ET

I'm not so sure, spent several hours on it today. I have it around 60/40 Semi. Mostly because of all the hurdles for Medic. 3 weeks notice, up a weight class, 4 inches reach disadvantage, don't know how he looks in round 3, half the MMA experience.
But I think he has more aggression with a higher output and is the better striker which counts for a lot. They are fighting at high altitude which just makes cards harder to predict imo. Normally you'd think that's bad for the guy with a shorter camp but in this instance it means Medic isn't cutting much at all (bc he's moving up) whereas Semi is cutting. So that might counter any advantage or even reverse it on the weight/cardio front, hard to say.
It's a fight I waffled quite a bit on so I'm wary of it.

* Edited at 07.23.2023, 2:34 PM ET *

MMAparlay69
MMAparlay69

07.23.2023 | 3:02 PM ET

@gliese58i 
after watching the way semelsberger handled Mathew’s and fletcher I honestly think he could just hold him down for 3 rounds
This user is suspended from posting until 8 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, 10 hours, and 32 minutes from now.
Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,350  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  6,385
  • Post Score: 135

07.23.2023 | 3:04 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 1989th

Kevin is much more dangerous than magney.
Everywhere imo Chise is pretty washed a lw and not at all like dogboy kazmat.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

gliese58i
gliese58i

07.23.2023 | 3:12 PM ET

@MMAparlay69

Didn't rewatch Fletcher because it's such a different stylistic matchup but for Matthews he mostly fell into top position after rocking Matthew on the feet. I haven't really seen Semi do much proper takedowns in the UFC. The best that can be said is that he is big and strong and he's reversed a couple of takedown attempts from his opponent to himself land on top.
It's quite possible he could hold down Medic if he got it there though, since he will be bigger and Medic is profiled as a striker with his kickboxing background, grappling mostly unknown for Medic at this point.

The way I view Semi in general is I think he's not a naturally talented guy but he's a naturally athletic guy. He doesn't have bad fight IQ (ie doesn't make a ton of mistakes). He has to work hard to improve his game though (which he has over time). He's one of those guys that grinds and grinds to improve rather than improve in leaps and bounds from natural talent.

MMAparlay69
MMAparlay69

07.23.2023 | 3:41 PM ET

@gli

There’s so many question marks on Uros game.. It’s definitely his performance against Mathew’s that is making me confident in him here and Uros not beating anyone to special and moving up in weight class.. Stoked to see what happens

Page 9

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92: Best betting props, parlays and picks
  • MMA Junkie : 'Reborn' Ramiz Brahimaj returns to UFC with new perspective after 'nasty' injury jeopardized career
  • MMA Mania : ‘Two Or Three Times Bigger!’ Saudi Arabia Has Big Plans For Second UFC Event
  • MMA Junkie : UFC matchmaker Mick Maynard offers insight on scouting regional talent
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Breaking down Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk, UFC Vegas 92, and Bellator Paris
  • Middle Easy : Joe Rogan Believes MMA’s Current Rule Set Favors Strikers: ‘I Don’t Think People Should Stand You Up, Ever’
  • MMA Junkie : Carlston Harris hopes UFC Fight Night 241 win leads to 'good names' like Neil Magny, Geoff Neal
  • MMA Mania : Video: Gorimbo Breaks Down After Coach’s Mother Dies On Media Day
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Fight Night 241's Vinicius Salvador guarantees first-round KO of Adrian Yanez: 'Write it down'
  • MMAFighting.com : Tyson Fury vs. Oleksandr Usyk full fight card
  • Middle Easy : Tim Welch Rates Mike Tyson’s Chances vs. Jake Paul: ‘Early On, He’s Gonna Be Scary’
  • MMA Mania : Barboza The BMF? ‘Who Has Better Highlight KOs Than Me?’
  • MMAFighting.com : Ring announcer Dan Hennessy retiring after viral screw up: ‘No longer the world’s punching bag’
  • MMA Junkie : 'Only Mancunian' Lerone Murphy appreciates full circle moment, crosses fingers for UFC 304
  • MMAFighting.com : Cédric Doumbé: Anthony Pettis fight ‘99 percent’ a done deal
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Mark Hulme | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veteran Edson Barboza calls for BMF title fight vs. Max Holloway: 'I think I deserve that'
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC matchmaker sends emphatic message to prospects hoping to get noticed and signed 
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC FPI 7 Highlights, Streaming Results | Rod vs. Fowler
  • UFC.com : Meet Middleweight Robert Valentin | The Ultimate Fighter: Team Grasso vs Team Shevchenko