Topic: UFC 292

UFC 292: Sterling vs. O'Malley

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,217
  • Post Score: 47

05.07.2023 | 1:00 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 292
  • Saturday 08.19.2023 at 06:30 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: TD Garden
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $7,250,000
  • Attendance: 18,293
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Sean O'Malley   defeats   Aljamain Sterling   via KO/TKO, Counter Right to Ground Strikes   0:51 Round 2 of 5, 5:51 Total Bout Page
Weili Zhang   defeats   Amanda Lemos   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Ian Machado Garry   defeats   Neil Magny   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Mario Bautista   defeats   Da'Mon Blackshear   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Marlon Vera   defeats   Pedro Munhoz   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Brad Tavares   defeats   Chris Weidman   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Gregory Rodrigues   defeats   Denis Tiuliulin   via KO/TKO, Elbows From Back Mount   1:43 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Kurt Holobaugh   defeats   Austin Hubbard   via Submission, Triangle Choke   2:39 Round 2 of 3, 7:39 Total Bout Page
Brad Katona   defeats   Cody Gibson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Andre Petroski   defeats   Gerald Meerschaert   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Natália Silva   defeats   Andrea Lee   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Karine Silva   defeats   Maryna Moroz   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   4:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses Page 12

Mothswords
Mothswords
  • Predictions:  2,554  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,341
  • Post Score: 149

08.13.2023 | 6:57 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 2800th

Sterling vs. O'Malley
Aljamain Sterling, SUB, R1
Sterling by 1st or 2nd rd RNC seems so obvious it's hard to pick anything but that. Maybe a hot (or bad) take but I do believe O'Malley has just as good, if not better cardio than aljo. The later the fight goes O'Malley could get the win but It doesn't seem likely. What seems more likely is Boston will be booing sterling from the time he enters til the time he exits the arena

Zhang vs. Lemos
Weili Zhang, SUB, R3
The might be the first & ever time where I'm more interested in the women's fights on the card more than the men's (other than O'Malley, sterling). The first 2 rounds seems like lemos best chance to get a finish but once it gets passed the 2nd round I think it's Zhang's fight all day

Magny vs. Machado Garry
Ian Machado Garry, TKO, R2
Magny is the fraud checker of the division but garry isn't a fraud. Most confident pick on the card

Vera vs. Munhoz
Pedro Munhoz, DEC
I could see this being a boring fight. I could also see the going to a split decision. Something about the vibes are off on this fight.

Weidman vs. Tavares
Brad Tavares, DEC
Weidman is a paper bag at this point. Doesn't help that's he's matched up against a dude with great a takedown defense

Rodrigues vs. Tiuliulin
Denis Tiuliulin, TKO, R2
Should be a fun scrap as long as it lasts. Both have glaring holes in their games ( robo cops chin. Denis defensive grappling). I don't think Denis has the type of power to ko robo cops weak chin & if he can't do that I think robo cops can easily get this to the ground and dominate

Meerschaert vs. Petroski
Andre Petroski, DEC
Picked gm3 at first but he does well against strikers with bad cardio which petroski is the complete opposite of.

Lee vs. Silva
Natália Silva, SUB, R1
Lee will be a good test but I think Silva is a different level than her and most of the flyweights. She seems better everywhere.

Moroz vs. Silva
Karine Silva, SUB, R2
Silvas a beast I can't pick against her. The one concern is moroz is hard to finish and silvas cardio hasn't really been tested yet but moroz doesn't have the best takedown defense & once it hits the ground it's silvas all day

Holobaugh vs. Hubbard
Kurt Holobaugh, DEC
I think holobaugh will do more damage and win the prestigious TUF 7000 trophy

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,071  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,045
  • Post Score: 137

08.13.2023 | 6:58 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 4388th

"I'm a die hard MMA fan who only picks 2 out of 13 fights for an entire event"

"...but its only because I'm a SUPER SHARP bettor who only makes picks if I know I'll be right and make money!!!"

So are you just upset because you went 1/2 on your bets yesterday? Its not my fault your Fremd by sub bet didn't hit.

"Dont @ me". I was never talking to you begin with. Why would I? You name dropped me first and started this genius. Please block me yesterday. 

* Edited at 08.14.2023, 12:49 AM ET *

Mothswords
Mothswords
  • Predictions:  2,554  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,341
  • Post Score: 149

08.13.2023 | 7:01 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 2800th

Haha holy **** the closest fight on this card is 70/30. I see a lot of parlay busters on this card 
Amettxpc
Amettxpc
  • Predictions:  12,892  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,217
  • Post Score: 191

08.13.2023 | 7:06 PM ET

Honest Thoughts on Cejudo, Neal and Garbrandt Withdrew

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 550 Points   |   Tied for 2907th

I remember all the controversy that there was with Gore when he withdrew for Bo Nickal fight during the fight week, a lot of people called him a coward, but the truth is imporbable to say that he invented the injury. Obviously when there is an emotional breakdown, many fighters do not fight in the best way but they greatly underestimate the great amount of self belief (many times also mixed with delusion) of MMA fighters: many big underdogs can enter with the mentality of taking an easy paycheck, but many also rely on their techniques and training and they believe they can beat a more established name or big prospect based on it, that's where the upsets come from. A lot of people focus too much on odds, pick or bets but the reality is that fighters don't care about odds or who people put their money on and pull out days before a fight is a bad move because it represents invest time and money in a full training camp for nothing. There are several suspected cases of withdrawals such as when Yair Rodriguez pulled out 2 times of Zabit fight (even for that reason he was initially released from the contract) but he step in short notice against The Korean Zombie when 2 months earlier he cited an injury as a reason for not fighting against Zabit, but usually injuries in training are something really legitimate and some even go up to the octagon knowing they are injured.

I think the case of Cejudo is the most understandable and least surprising, it was known that he was injured after the fight against Sterling and perhaps he took the fight against Chito thinking that he would be 100% before August or because he wanted to obtain another title shot as soon as possible, but the fact that he wasn't ready to fight was the most understandable and logical thing to do.

Geoff Neal: In my opinion Neal was not yet ready to fight again after the punishment he took in the fight against Shavkat, also the matter that the Fortis MMA Head Coach mentioned is very true: Neal had a strong sepsis case and was in a near death situation in August 2020 and has not fully recovered. The medical issues cited by Neal in his UFC 292 Withdrew were notified to the UFC Health Staff and it is something whose veracity can be verified.

Cody Garbrandt: After the TUF Season 25, Garbrandt has had a huge history of illness and injury:
- Back Injury during TUF Season 25 in one of the many brawls that Cody himself formed during the season.
- Hand and Wrist Injury in Training when there was a high possibility that Garbrandt would be the Main Event of UFC Sacramento (injury at the beginning of the first quarter of 2019 that kept him out until 2020)
- Kidney Illness in February 2020 put Cody out of the possibility of fighting in his hometown Ohio in the Assunção Matchup
- Covid Case during Training Camp for UFC 255
- Withdrew of UFC 255 Title Shot after Bloodclots related to Covid
- During December 2020 and Jan 2021, Garbrandt was still recovering from a strong case of Covid-19
- Injury during the second training camp against Yahya (Rani pull out 2 times of the matchup because of a recurring neck injury) plus undergoing surgery several times during 2022 (at least 2 times).
- Neck Injury during a takedown during Trevin Jones Fight
- Now a new injury during UFC 292 training camp.

At this point, Garbrandt is out of the rankings and out of the rankings not all matchups have to be necessarily scheduled for the winner of the fight to enter or come close to the Top 15: in my opinion the matchmakers can reschedule in Third time the Garbrandt-Yahya matchup after that fight if Garbrandt loses or performs similar to what he did against Jones he should retire.
If he wins overwhelmingly, he should go one of two ways: Take a fight that gets him closer to the top 15 or he can notify the UFC that he wants to retire and they give him a good matchup to retire on a major pay-per-view card. You don't necessarily have to retire when you have absolutely nothing left and in my opinion based on his Fanbase, sponsors and business ventures like the Dog Breeding business Garbrandt could continue to have a good lifestyle without having to fight again.

"Moicano Wants Money!"

Kniferusty
Kniferusty
  • Predictions:  730  |  77.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,185
  • Post Score: 186

08.13.2023 | 7:10 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 4 Winners, 0 Perfect, 230 Points   |   Tied for 5416th

@AyyLmaonnaise 
damn didn’t know that about Saidyoukub. Always on top of that inside info. Thanks!

"All my picks are backed by some type of real money wager. When I bet the house - I now have two houses"

Andrew1047
Andrew1047
  • Predictions:  4,275  |  82.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,813
  • Post Score: -82

08.13.2023 | 7:16 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 1756th

@foppa420 
reported
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
Kniferusty
Kniferusty

08.13.2023 | 7:24 PM ET

Lol I had Fremd by Sub as a prediction on Tap but that doesn’t mean I bet the house on on that specific outcome. I had a freebet so I parlayed Fremd to win. I’m not obligated to give specifics on my bets, I don’t reveal everything on Tap

That’s the last time I’m addressing you Foppa. Leave me alone, and stop calling people ******s it’s inappropriate 

* Edited at 08.13.2023, 7:31 PM ET *

"All my picks are backed by some type of real money wager. When I bet the house - I now have two houses"

Quickcobalt
Quickcobalt
  • Predictions:  1,084  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  232
  • Post Score: 187

08.13.2023 | 7:31 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 4362nd

im real tempted to change my pick to omalley can def just see him planting a 1-2 on aljo and putting him out

"I used to f*ck guys like you in high school" - Joseph Benavidez

rydersklar
rydersklar
  • Predictions:  392  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 120

08.13.2023 | 7:41 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 4138th

Sean has no shot he got 30-27 yan.

"Im bringing you to 7th layer hell, we'll say what's up to your dad while were there"

Blackbet25
Blackbet25
  • Predictions:  8,945  |  72.4%
  • Forum Posts:  6,176
  • Post Score: 189

08.13.2023 | 7:43 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 4021st

Anyone hear about any additional bouts potentially in the pipeline? 10 bouts on a ppv card seems pretty low.

"They don’t want a man like me to have the title cause I’m not a puppet like that fool up there."

Andrew1047
Andrew1047
  • Predictions:  4,275  |  82.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,813
  • Post Score: -82

08.13.2023 | 7:53 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 615 Points   |   Tied for 1756th

@Blackbet25 
Think they are trying to find a replacement for Bautista, will probably be a bum though 
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,792  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,562
  • Post Score: 262

08.13.2023 | 8:13 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 665 Points   |   Tied for 956th

Brad Katona vs the winner of Rico DiSciullio vs Cody Gibson on this card too, as that the other ultimate fighter fight

Edit: I google searched the ultimate fighter and change my comment, I don’t watch the ultimate fighter so I don’t really know much about it, just want kniferusty comment to make sence

* Edited at 08.13.2023, 8:21 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

Kniferusty
Kniferusty

08.13.2023 | 8:18 PM ET

@DamienHandel420 
yes it’s Katona vs. TBA for the bantamweight bout

igbjcn
igbjcn

08.13.2023 | 8:21 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 2224th

Yeah I can’t lie pretty upset with the amount of cancellations on this card, I was excited to see those fights play out they were probably gonna be some of the best ones on the card.
Naylor
Naylor
  • Predictions:  79  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 70

08.13.2023 | 8:24 PM ET

Is Natalia Silva a lock?
MMAparlay69
MMAparlay69
  • Predictions:  379  |  82.1%
  • Forum Posts:  619
  • Post Score: -18

08.13.2023 | 8:27 PM ET

Predictions: 1 of 1 Winners, 0 Perfect, 50 Points   |   Tied for 5654th

@Naylor 
noooo. Andrea Lee beat Maycee barber imo and Barber just bent Ribas over who had a split with a top 3 Kaitlyn..  Natalia is still unproven but that being said she probably still wins this 30-27
This user is suspended from posting until 9 months, 1 day, 10 hours, and 27 minutes from now.
Kniferusty
Kniferusty

08.13.2023 | 8:36 PM ET

@Naylor 
Natalia’s TDD is impressive. Her striking is high level for the division & I expect her to win in impressive fashion. I have 2.5 Units on her which for me is $25K

FWIW I think Lee may have beaten Barber because of the TDs but it should be be exceedingly arduous for Lee to TD Silva

* Edited at 08.13.2023, 8:40 PM ET *

Parlay Boss
Parlay Boss
  • Predictions:  123  |  69.9%
  • Forum Posts:  177
  • Post Score: 4

08.13.2023 | 9:14 PM ET

UFC 292 Countdown

Predictions: 11 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 655 Points   |   Tied for 1097th

"You are an infection. You are the definition of weakness. Everything that is wrong with the world is because of ******* you." - Strickland

Vispian
Vispian
  • Predictions:  2,513  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  375
  • Post Score: 174

08.13.2023 | 9:40 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 550 Points   |   Tied for 2907th

Sterling vs. O'Malley
Aljamain Sterling, SUB, R2
Sterling strikes and grapples in the first creating a feeling out process as Sean manages to defend the early take down but in the 2nd Sterling find the back and chokes him out.

Zhang vs. Lemos
Weili Zhang, SUB, R3
Zhang out grapples Lemos and also having the ability to hit hard no the feet is just gonna make this easier for her. Probably makes it to the 3rd and Zhang grabs the choke.

Magny vs. Machado Garry
Ian Machado Garry, TKO, R2
Ian is training with Rowe a mini Magny. Plus its Magny you know the drill. 

Vera vs. Munhoz
Pedro Munhoz, DEC
Munoz doesn't get rocked. has good grappling and technical striking. Aldo and Cruz beats Vera if he cant find the finish. The same is the case here, Munoz wins a decision unless Vera finds the finish and that is hard to do against Munoz and its a 3 rounder. yikes for Vera. his only chance is to be aggressive and active in his striking.

Lee vs. Silva
Natália Silva, TKO, R2
Silva is actually competent 

Moroz vs. Silva
Karine Silva, SUB, R1
Silva avenges her loss they are at different points in their careers now 

* Edited at 08.13.2023, 9:45 PM ET *

Quickcobalt
Quickcobalt
  • Predictions:  1,084  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  232
  • Post Score: 187

08.13.2023 | 9:57 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 4362nd

pedro might just be the hardest counter to vera great chin, power, good wrestling nd doesnt gas but i see marlon making close enough for the judges to rob pedro they want vera at the top so if o'malley losses to aljo they can get him right back in their with that matchup 

"I used to f*ck guys like you in high school" - Joseph Benavidez

Page 12

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Dana White Busts FedEX Driver In NYC
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Denies Receiving Contract Offer for Ian Garry Fight: ‘He’s Trying to Get Clickbait’
  • Middle Easy : Sean O’Malley Paid More in Taxes Than He Made From Fighting in the UFC Last Year
  • MMA Junkie : USA TODAY Sports/MMA Junkie rankings, May 7: Jose Aldo returns to top 10
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Details Impromptu Wrestling Match with Alex Pereira, Weighs in on Potential Fight Between ‘Poatan’ and Jon Jones
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal 2 shifted to July 6, avoids UFC 302 conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Report: Jermall Charlo arrested for DWI after crashing car
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal-Diaz 2 Delayed To Avoid Scheduling Conflict
  • MMA Junkie : Colby Covington denies contract offer for Ian Machado Garry: 'This fight has not been presented'
  • MMA Mania : Sticking Around! ‘This Is The Best I’ve Felt’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Naoya Inoue taking on Gervonta Davis
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘It’s only a few pounds north’: Vergil Hunter talks possibility of Inoue facing Tank
  • MMA Junkie : Saudi Arabia announces extended partnership with UFC, including pay-per-view sponsorship
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 303: McGregor vs. Chandler adds undefeated prospect to lineup
  • MMA Mania : ‘What I’m Going To Do To McGregor Is Going To Warrant’ Retirement
  • MMA Junkie : Chael Sonnen makes case for Jose Aldo title shot after UFC 301
  • Middle Easy : ‘A Lot Of Jealousy,’ Sean O’Malley On What Sparked Conor McGregor’s Twitter Tantrum Towards ‘Suga’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 56 pre-event facts: Can Derrick Lewis extend all-time KO record?
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Paid More In Taxes Than I Made Last Year In My Fight’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dan Hardy picks Conor McGregor to beat Michael Chandler: ‘He’s got that refinement in his game’