Topic: UFC 290

UFC 290: Volkanovski vs. Rodriguez

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,149
  • Post Score: 47

03.02.2023 | 4:13 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 290
  • Saturday 07.08.2023 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ABC
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Alexander Volkanovski   defeats   Yair Rodriguez   via KO/TKO, Right Hook to Ground Strikes   4:19 Round 3 of 5, 14:19 Total Bout Page
Alexandre Pantoja   defeats   Brandon Moreno   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Dricus Du Plessis   defeats   Robert Whittaker   via KO/TKO, Power Jab to Punches   2:23 Round 2 of 3, 7:23 Total Bout Page
Dan Hooker   defeats   Jalin Turner   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Bo Nickal   defeats   Val Woodburn   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:38 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Robbie Lawler   defeats   Niko Price   via KO/TKO, Hooks   0:39 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tatsuro Taira   defeats   Edgar Cháirez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Denise Gomes   defeats   Yazmin Jauregui   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:20 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Alonzo Menifield   defeats   Jimmy Crute   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:55 Round 2 of 3, 6:55 Total Bout Page
Vitor Petrino   defeats   Marcin Prachnio   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   3:42 Round 3 of 3, 13:42 Total Bout Page
Cameron Saaiman   defeats   Terrence Mitchell   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   3:10 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jesus Aguilar   defeats   Shannon Ross   via KO/TKO, Overhand Right   0:17 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Esteban Ribovics   defeats   Kamuela Kirk   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 38

Griffo420
Griffo420
  • Predictions:  482  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  119
  • Post Score: 161

07.07.2023 | 7:53 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1642nd

@Andrew1047 
I do like that shout too! 

I have played Saaiman rd2/rd3 tko & Whittaker rd2/rd3 tko together @ +2100 on pokerstars if you like it too
FcBayern
FcBayern
  • Predictions:  1,805  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  117
  • Post Score: 9

07.07.2023 | 7:55 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 380 Points   |   Tied for 3852nd

Bro if you looking for some 100% not risky bet ,than just don't bet,or learn arbitrage bets
perfection
perfection
  • Predictions:  1,000  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  848
  • Post Score: 86

07.07.2023 | 8:08 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 1361st

I say it all the time.  Stocks, man.
gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,399  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,438
  • Post Score: 129

07.07.2023 | 8:12 AM ET

@FcBayern

Not sure if you are adressing me. I'm a value bettor which makes my style a lot less risk averse than "bet the guy that is going to win" approach that is the most commonly held one in these threads.
All I do is bet fights without knowing the outcome ahead of time unlike a lot of the tap experts that knows what will happen and then bets accordingly, odds be damned.

So I'm certainly willing to take risks if I think they make sense and frequently against the guy I think is the most likely to win. But I don't think it's a good strategy to take on risk if you don't perceive the value in it.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

Subsyy01
Subsyy01
  • Predictions:  3,054  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  485
  • Post Score: 154

07.07.2023 | 8:16 AM ET

Saaiman Vs Mitchell

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 3764th

The percentage on saaiman is a bit crazy to me kinda feel as if terrence has a lot more chance than people think also let's not forget underdogs have been on an absolute tear this Yr 

"Black guy Jones, White guy Gusmão" - Joe Hogan

FcBayern
FcBayern
  • Predictions:  1,805  |  68.3%
  • Forum Posts:  117
  • Post Score: 9

07.07.2023 | 8:33 AM ET

@gliese58i 
betting is about math not even about ,you don't even need to know the names of the fighters on this card to be on + money on the end of the night
dbo123
dbo123
  • Predictions:  125  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  13
  • Post Score: 162

07.07.2023 | 8:48 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 535 Points   |   Tied for 688th

Volkanovski vs. Rodriguez
Volkanovski, TKO, R4
I think Alex puts a brutal beating on Yair here. Yair comes back after a 2 year layoff, takes a beating from Max like it's nothing, beats Ortega via injury, submits Emmett and now he's interim champ. Yair's boxing is not great, great kicking game but Alex's footwork is so good that he can avoid most of them, especially the body kicks, which is Yair's best weapon. Alex could grapple here as well considering Max Holloway of all people looked like Khamzat Chimaev against Yair. Alex will do horrible horrible things to Yair if he gets in top position like he did with Ortega or if Yair gets mounted like he did against Max. Won't be as bad at the TKZ beating, but will be close. Volkanovski round 4 TKO ground and pound.

Whittaker vs. Du Plessis
Whittaker, TKO, R3
This is a much closer fight than betting lines suggest. Du Plessis is legit, good low kick, grappling, just comes forward like a freak and throws wild punches. Du Plessis striking defense is quite bad and I can't see Rob not finding the mark with some counter punches here. Du Plessis cardio horrible as well but who knows how much the nose surgery could fix that. Most likely 19-19 heading into the 3rd, where Rob starts finding the mark with ease. Hasn't had a finish since Jacare 6 years ago but a late finish is very live here.

Lawler vs. Price
Price, DEC
Just put on a good show fellas. Really want Robbie to get it done, one of my favorites ever. Price sucks but will still probably win here. Hoping for FOTN. I think Robbie might not give a **** considering it's his retirement fight and lay it all out on the line. If Robbie bonks him world hunger might end

"“I want to outlive my children,” - Tito Ortiz"

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,058  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,999
  • Post Score: 138

07.07.2023 | 9:30 AM ET

@gliese

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1967th

Thoughts on D. Gomes? 
antcav
antcav
  • Predictions:  350  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  11
  • Post Score: 0

07.07.2023 | 9:43 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 4344th

Turner really impressed me in his loss to Gamrot. I originally had Hooker winning when it was first booked but I changed my mind. However, I think Turner would have had the same exact record against Hooker's last 6 opponents (Puelles, Allen, Islam, Nasrat, Chandler, Poirier) and I think Hooker would have the same exact record against Turner's last 6 opponents (Gamrot, Riddell, Mullarkey, Medic, Weaver, Culibao). It seems as if Turner is entering his prime and Hooker is on the way out, but Turner still hasn't beaten anyone great yet, and Hooker hasn't lost to anyone he shouldn't have yet. I'm still on the Turner side due to age and skillset, but I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out like Munhoz/Gutierrez where everyone thought the older guy was washed up and the up and comer would win, and the older guy showed he still has it.

I think the UFC gave DDP to Whittaker because they do not want the Izzy-DDP matchup since it's going to become a race thing (even though all DDP said is that he was born, raised, and trains out of Africa which is true). Also, DDP has struggled in every one of his fights, and I think Whittaker shuts out those very same guys. DDP's only chance is to hurt Whittaker and finish him, but I think Whittaker is too disciplined to allow that to happen.

Similar to Whittaker/DDP, Yair's only chance to beat Volk is to hurt and then finish him. Volk is very disciplined as well, but I think Yair has the style that he can hurt anyone. I'm assuming Volk wins 49-46 or 50-45, but Yair by finish is +425. It can't hurt to throw some money on that, especially if Volk is the final piece in your parlay. 
Mothswords
Mothswords
  • Predictions:  2,541  |  63.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,306
  • Post Score: 150

07.07.2023 | 9:52 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 470 Points   |   Tied for 1847th

1 more day 
Mantis xX
Mantis xX
  • Predictions:  1,689  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  151
  • Post Score: -2

07.07.2023 | 10:09 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1642nd

Volkanovski vs. Rodriguez
Alexander Volkanovski, SUB, R2
Volk comes out hyper motivated, looks phenomenal, Yair is on the back pedal and defending constantly. Good ground and pound throughout round 1, 10-9 but dominant. Volk switches play, strikes to loosen Yair and set up a takedown. He secures it, he ground and pounds into a side control, but secures a Kimura. Kimura round 2, Yair taps to it. Volk still evolving. AND STILL!

Moreno vs. Pantoja III
Brandon Moreno, SUB, R2
Crazy fight but Pantoja gets cracked and Moreno doesn't hesitate, a classic Flyweight RNC back-take. Sinks it in almost immediately. Pantoja knows and taps out of it and is Pissed. AND STILL!!

Whittaker vs. Du Plessis
Dricus Du Plessis, DEC
29-28x3 Uni. I think this is a VERY close fight but Dricus actually rocks Whit in the 3rd and almost ends this fight. Pushing any doubt in favor of him. Real close.

Hooker vs. Turner
Jalin Turner, DEC
30-27x2 30-26 Dec Uni.

Nickal vs. Woodburn
Bo Nickal, SUB, R1
I'm throwing a ten on Val. F It, this is MMA. Bo by RNC.

Lawler vs. Price
Niko Price, TKO, R2
FOTN contender for sure, I don't like fighters after one of their small amount KO's nevermind a vet like Lawler. Price by TKO after a wild fight, reminds me of Liddell vs Franklin

Maddalena vs. Harrell
Jack Della Maddalena, DEC
29-28x3 Uni. Almost a split but Della controls 2 rounds solid. Harrell is going to surprise and come in really hot,

Jauregui vs. Gomes
Yazmin Jauregui, DEC
Controverial Split Dec 29-28x2 27-30. Denise comes in and really looks great, wins the damage but Yazmin ends up winning due to flurries and cage control.

Crute vs. Menifield II
Alonzo Menifield, DEC
29-28x2 30-27, I think Crute can KO Meni, but Alonzo has been real smart lately, I think he comes in and out works and out plans Crute to a uni.

Cháirez vs. Taira
Tatsuro Taira, SUB, R1
Armbar from mount, in the last minute of round 1.

Petrino vs. Prachnio
Vitor Petrino, DEC
Low confidence here. I think Prachnio style is a big red flag for this one. Split Dec 29-28x2, 28-29

Saaiman vs. Mitchell
Cameron Saaiman, TKO, R1
Jab lands clean on Mitchell, dropping him back into the cage, and delivers a huge couple hooks. GnP elbow finish. MSP is forreal.

Ross vs. Aguilar
Jesus Aguilar, SUB, R1
Guillotine choke, I feel like this is a trap fight and Ross by UD is possible as well.

Kirk vs. Ribovics
Kamuela Kirk, DEC
29-28x3 I See Esteban edging Kirk in the 1st round but Kirk looks better and more comfortable 10lbs heavier and wins the last two.

FallenAngel
FallenAngel
  • Predictions:  5,789  |  70.8%
  • Forum Posts:  283
  • Post Score: 128

07.07.2023 | 10:10 AM ET

UFC 290: Volkanovski vs. Rodriguez | Full Card Fight Picks in 3 Minutes

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 470 Points   |   Tied for 1847th

"Every second is a gift"

foppa420
foppa420
  • Predictions:  2,058  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,999
  • Post Score: 138

07.07.2023 | 10:14 AM ET

@antcav

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1967th

Very interesting thought that I myself have had. I actually said this a few months back when DDP and Izzy first started mouthing off at eachother. The UFC loves a good narrative for sure but if there were EVER a storyline that they wanted to avoid like the plague, this is probably it. 

"Whos the real African!?" just has so many negative connotations attached to it its not even funny. I think even DDP and his team have realized this and that's why he sort of walked back some of his previous comments in the build up to this fight.

I believe his specific comment was something like "I dont care if I fight Izzy for the belt. I just want to fight whoever has the belt". Im not saying the UFC would never ever book DDP and Izzy but they'd definitely do whatever they can to downplay that storyline. 

I mean the UFC wants to expand into Africa way, way more. I imagine Hunter and Sean were pulling their hair out when DDP was talking about being the only real African fighter in the UFC. I'm sure they loved that. 
antcav
antcav
  • Predictions:  350  |  65.7%
  • Forum Posts:  11
  • Post Score: 0

07.07.2023 | 10:28 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 4344th

@foppa420 

I'm pretty sure his quote was “first real African champ; trained, born, bred in Africa” which is 100% true. I think people are making a thing of it solely because of his skin color compared to the skin color of the other African champs. But DDP actually seems like a nice guy that was just trying to say he wants to win for his country. I don't think he had any negative intent in there whatsoever.

However, all that matters is the reactions to those comments. And the UFC would never promote this as "the battle for Africa" or anything like that. I think they're feeding him to Whittaker because they want him to lose, especially since we need some new blood in the division for Izzy, so it would've made sense just to let him fight Izzy now without having to get passed Whittaker. But, if DDP wins, there is no way you can deny him a title shot.
xXTwisterXx
xXTwisterXx
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: -400

07.07.2023 | 11:11 AM ET

Sabbath (and more)

For once, I gotta agree with the white pride African chimp. I burned that bridge on my own, you didn't really have anything to do with it. Sorry mate, but you are simply not him :(

Regardless it doesnt matter to me. I still use Tapology whenever I choose. Gregory became a soyboy because of me which is evident by the fact that half the users on this website are suspended at any given time. I'm not really in the mood to troll and make the mods lives a living hell, because unlike my children Baremaras and his roleplaying alt account friend Rahdrew, I matured. I'm just leaving this comment and then dipping back to my actual account

I care so little about this website that Ill actually let you in on a little secret: I have several alt accounts just because I can, and no none of them are who you think. Idk why people thought I was that MMA Owls or Nameless guy, but unfortunately for them, I am not. Little known fact, there's actually evidence of me in this very thread. Its pretty easy to have a low profile when you're not constantly getting into arguments like half the autists on this website. These days I just make my picks, comment my opinions every now and then, and do better things with my time. Sex? No way, get outta here. This is Tapology. No one here is ever gonna lose their virginity, get real man lol. But yeah, this website is cancer and I think your life would be greatly improved if you ditched it and focused on more important things, like getting some *******.

Andrew, I believe the only STD here is you. You're a cancer to this website, which is weird cause its already cancer on its own. You're a parasite among parasites, which is quite the feat. Now let me ask you and your other account Rah something. How am I the STD when I returned and didnt even remember you, yet as soon as you saw me you went full ****** mode and seethed? Seems like Im only a STD in the sense that I'm forever stuck inside of you and your body. I'm on this website commenting every few days and making my picks on every event and you're here getting suspended every other week and being the most hated little boy on this website not named Crimson Tartara or Baremaras. What a sad life you live.

Oh also, did you just try to get Sabbath banned for saying the n word... by saying the n word? I knew you werent the sharpest tool in the shed, but that seems pretty stupid, even for you. Also Gregory casually letting a slur like that slip. Not a good look from the soy mod 😬

I like how you edited it but even then still didnt take out the obvious racial slur 💀 Anyway Ima keep doing my thing, and I assume you will too (aka making a fool of yourself and liking your own comments from your own accounts since no one else with half a brain cell agrees with your downright idiotic takes). Take care lads 🍺
A moderator has publicly marked this as inappropriate. Please be respectful on Tapology otherwise suspensions may be levied.
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 2 months, 4 days, 4 hours, and 14 minutes from now.
el222
el222
  • Predictions:  1,423  |  66.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,680
  • Post Score: 166

07.07.2023 | 11:17 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 2753rd

it's funny how no one cared when this happened with Leon Edwards. he said that he wanted to be the first to win a belt out of the UK because Bisping moved over to America before he did it. but when Dricus says it, it's some crazy thing? I think it's pretty simple tbh, Izzy wakes up in NZ, Usman wakes up in the US, and Dricus wakes up in South Africa. DDP was only stating the facts 

* Edited at 07.07.2023, 11:18 AM ET *

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,026  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32,142
  • Post Score: 88

07.07.2023 | 11:26 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 3005th

DrChaotic is that you?

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

baremaras
baremaras
  • Predictions:  3,114  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,759
  • Post Score: -18

07.07.2023 | 11:27 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 1276th

sucks to see that drchaotic still hasn't dealt with his deeply rooted mental health issues... wishing you a speedy recovery bro
Andrew1047
Andrew1047
  • Predictions:  4,259  |  82.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,813
  • Post Score: -82

07.07.2023 | 11:48 AM ET

Chaotic ⚠️

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 1276th

Get back to your real account little boy. 

Should only be another 9 years and 11 months until you're allowed back 🤣

This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 6 months, 4 weeks, 23 hours, and 5 minutes from now.
gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,399  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,438
  • Post Score: 129

07.07.2023 | 11:56 AM ET

@foppa420

Jauregui match was one of the first I capped. I liked Denise Gomes better some time ago, watching her for this one I was less positive about her. Sorry that I can't give you a breakdown on it but I don't remember the specifics other than that I don't think Jauregui drops the ball here. For a -400 or whatever she is at now WMMa fighter I'm pretty hiogh on Jauregui here (not that I would ever consider betting in such a spot).  I remember not liking how Rosa looked in her last one and Denise Gomes is her girlfriend so if she comes in looking equally bad on the scale that would cement it.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

Page 38

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Ismael Bonfim Is Looking To Impress
  • UFC.com : José Aldo: A Homecoming Fit For A King
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301 'Embedded,' No. 5: Nightswimming deserves a quiet night with Karolina Kowalkiewicz
  • UFC.com : Iasmin Lucindo Is Ready To Start Building Her Own Legacy
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Canelo Vs Munguia Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia weigh-in video at 3 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : Jonathan Martinez questions Jose Aldo's motivation in UFC return: 'I don't think he wants to be here'
  • MMAFighting.com : Jose Aldo agreed to box on Paul vs. Tyson card before taking UFC 301 fight, interested in Manny Pacquiao match
  • MMA Junkie : Jake Paul says Mike Tyson the one who requested a professional bout: 'I'm going to f*cking put him down'
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul Ready to Embrace the Backlash He’ll Receive by KO’ing Mike Tyson: ‘I’m Going to F*cking Put Him Down’
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 Predictions, Main Card Preview And Betting Lines
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor 'disgusted' by Ryan Garcia's positive drug test: 'Get your head together or kill yourself'
  • MMAFighting.com : Heck of a Morning: Has there been a UFC pay-per-view with less buzz than UFC 301?
  • Jits Magazine : Four Former Trials Winners Given Invites To ADCC 2024
  • Middle Easy : Dustin Poirier Hopes to ‘Finish His Story’ at UFC 302 with a Lightweight Title Victory Over Islam Makhachev
  • MMA Mania : Puking Gomis Pulled from UFC 301
  • Bad Left Hook : Cameron splits with Matchroom, signs with Queensberry
  • MMA Junkie : William Gomis vs. Jean Silva scrapped from UFC 301 in Brazil
  • MMAFighting.com : William Gomis struggles to step on scale at UFC 301 weigh-ins, bout cancelled
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Cal Ellenor vs Niall Wilson