Topic: UFC 290

UFC 290: Volkanovski vs. Rodriguez

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,278
  • Post Score: 47

03.02.2023 | 4:13 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 290
  • Saturday 07.08.2023 at 06:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ABC
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Alexander Volkanovski   defeats   Yair Rodriguez   via KO/TKO, Right Hook to Ground Strikes   4:19 Round 3 of 5, 14:19 Total Bout Page
Alexandre Pantoja   defeats   Brandon Moreno   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Dricus Du Plessis   defeats   Robert Whittaker   via KO/TKO, Power Jab to Punches   2:23 Round 2 of 3, 7:23 Total Bout Page
Dan Hooker   defeats   Jalin Turner   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Bo Nickal   defeats   Val Woodburn   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:38 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Robbie Lawler   defeats   Niko Price   via KO/TKO, Hooks   0:39 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tatsuro Taira   defeats   Edgar Cháirez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Denise Gomes   defeats   Yazmin Jauregui   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:20 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Alonzo Menifield   defeats   Jimmy Crute   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:55 Round 2 of 3, 6:55 Total Bout Page
Vitor Petrino   defeats   Marcin Prachnio   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   3:42 Round 3 of 3, 13:42 Total Bout Page
Cameron Saaiman   defeats   Terrence Mitchell   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   3:10 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jesus Aguilar   defeats   Shannon Ross   via KO/TKO, Overhand Right   0:17 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Esteban Ribovics   defeats   Kamuela Kirk   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 16

baremaras
baremaras
  • Predictions:  3,127  |  71.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,762
  • Post Score: -18

06.30.2023 | 2:52 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 1276th

yazmin at those odds is ridiculous

yazmin is obviously going to win but i think the fight has the potential to get a bit tricky for her. denise gomes might not be on the skill level of yazmin but she has something that is rare in wmma and thats being a dawg, we've seen it time and time again that just "being a dawg" takes you far in wmma (best most recent example of that is sam hughes).

also worth noting yazmin got dropped by istela in r1 (istela is like the female daniel da silva, very explosive and dangerous in r1 then falls off a cliff so thats not necessarily a terrible thing) and at the same time denise gomes is coming off of a career best performance

im picking yazmin to win with decent confidence on tapology because not only she can match denise's "dawg" but she also has a pretty decent advantage skill wise, nonetheless you will NOT catch me laying any amount of money on her at those odds though

* Edited at 06.30.2023, 2:55 PM ET *

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,412  |  65.1%
  • Forum Posts:  10,570
  • Post Score: 128

06.30.2023 | 3:33 PM ET

@baremaras

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 380 Points   |   Tied for 3852nd

Well said. Haven't seen you around much lately in the fight threads.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

gliese58i
gliese58i

06.30.2023 | 5:17 PM ET

Shannon Ross was thinking of quitting MMA before fighting on the contender series, lost his job when he got back to Australia from the contender series where he was knocked down 3 times, almost lost his life to illness at that time as well, came back for a short notice UFC debut to get starched by Kleydson Rodriguez. Now I'm going to find out if I still like him as a dog vs Jesus Aguilar. 
Well Shannon Ross for sure is a dog. A somewhat frail dog with absolutely 0 striking defense and a very straightforward simple way of fighting, but definitely a dog. The question as always for me is will I find his line to be valuable or not?

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

gliese58i
gliese58i

06.30.2023 | 7:13 PM ET

The answer to Ross is yes. He's fighting 5'3 or 5'4 Aguilar (sources are split) with a 62 inch reach, the shortest for a man in UFC history. Both guys like to brawl on the feet where Ross will have a size advantage. Aguilar likes to take opponents down but his technique for doing so is really sketchy. He shoots very telegraphed shots to grab a single leg and he often tries to sit down before dragging his opponent, or do sacrifice throws from a clinch bodylock. In either case there's a big danger of him ending up in the bottom position as happened on contender series. 
His control from top is also lacking.

He does have his signature guilloutine that he's stopped way too many guys from the bottom with. It's a gimmicky move in my opinion though, especially since he'll happily jump for it.
I think there's a good chance Ross can defend takedowns or at least work his way up if not straight reverse them as Aguilar is going in. It will then turn into a brawl on the feet which any one of them could win. Cardio wise neither guy has impressed me much in fights that go long.
I expect a sloppy fight that ends under 1.5. Ross is a +180 dog which is a wide line that I will happily bet here.

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,792  |  66.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7,571
  • Post Score: 262

06.30.2023 | 10:00 PM ET

Bara

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 674th

I would never ever put -600 down on WMMA unless it's Nunes, Cyborg or Valentina just because WMMA is WMMA, Anyone can win they're fights and I don't want to loses -600 bets

* Edited at 06.30.2023, 10:00 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

MrIzdik
MrIzdik
  • Predictions:  962  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  287
  • Post Score: 194

06.30.2023 | 11:34 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 3005th

That Edgar Chairez-Gianni Vazquez fights is one of the craziest things I've ever seen. That ref better never be in the UFC.

gliese58i
gliese58i

07.01.2023 | 12:04 AM ET

@MrIzdik

Was it a sus fix? I was wondering if Chairez v Aguilar was fixed when I reviewed that one. He tapped really fast to quite the bad angle from Aguilar attempting the guilloutine in round 5.
If it was fixed I imagine sub in round 5 had some decent odds on it. 

You can never say for sure of course but fixes has to be more on the table now that the UFC has significantly lowered the bar for entry. That guy Nursulton Ruziboev or whatever his name is on the Strickland card for example. Found some real sus matches of his on youtube. Heard a lot of rumors about him too. I also recall that russian/ukrainian guy whose name I can't recall that JR fell in love with who straight up doctored his record and duped the UFC to give him a fight.

* Edited at 07.01.2023, 12:04 AM ET *

el222
el222
  • Predictions:  1,431  |  66.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,680
  • Post Score: 166

07.01.2023 | 12:09 AM ET

gliese

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 2753rd

Mozharov right? that was crazy 
MrIzdik
MrIzdik

07.01.2023 | 1:49 AM ET

@Gliese

No, Vazquez gave Chairez a triangle and it looked like it put him out, the ref didn't stop the fight, he switched it to an arm bar and Vazquez still looked unresponsive. Then it looked like he eventually came to and was able to tap out. All while the ref just stood there and watched. If they were trying to fix it to be a submission victory no one told the ref. The man was refusing to end the fight.

It looked like he went out 10-15 seconds into the triangle, the triangle continued for another 15 seconds, and the armbar was in for about 20-25 seconds before he woke up to tap. You can hear the cage side doctor yelling "he's out, he's out", the commentators are yelling he is out, Chairez is telling the ref to stop it. One of the worst refs I have ever seen.

* Edited at 07.01.2023, 1:50 AM ET *

MrIzdik
MrIzdik

07.01.2023 | 2:34 AM ET

205 Division

How bad is this division that we are getting these rather pointless rematches like Crute/Menifield and Smith/Spann. I like Jan, but I really hope Poatan KOs him to add some life to this division. 
Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,328  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  6,350
  • Post Score: 136

07.01.2023 | 4:23 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 595 Points   |   Tied for 230th

On par with 125 lol not complaining though.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,184  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,288
  • Post Score: 89

07.01.2023 | 7:09 AM ET

125 is one of the best divisions in the ufc what are you talking about 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

gliese58i
gliese58i

07.01.2023 | 2:38 PM ET

@el222 @MrIzdik

Yeah Mozharov lol.

About the refs in these divisions, yeah you see a lot of ******y from the refs. Most of the time probably sheer incompetence but some stoppages make you wonder what the hell is going on sometimes.

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,328  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  6,350
  • Post Score: 136

07.01.2023 | 3:15 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 595 Points   |   Tied for 230th

I always see the same guys at 125 at the top and few real contenders maybe I'm wrong lets just see what the rosta looks like.
There are more at 135 170 and 185 the division everyone ******* about, and I see more competitive fights.
Maybe "stacked" is one of these subjective metrics that don't work in with math.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

LethalMMA
LethalMMA
  • Predictions:  898  |  68.6%
  • Forum Posts:  566
  • Post Score: 81

07.01.2023 | 10:45 PM ET

Predictions: 10 of 13 Winners, 0 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 713th

We are gonna have a new champ next week! THE CANNIBAL via strangulation! 

"Im not impressed by your performance"

Ifeohalete
Ifeohalete
  • Predictions:  267  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  20
  • Post Score: 125

07.01.2023 | 11:32 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 680 Points   |   Tied for 28th with 3 others

Cháirez vs. Taira
Tatsuro Taira, DEC
Edgar Chairez pretty much has no chance unless he can land some good calf kicks throughout the whole fight, he doesn't have enough power to knock anyone in the ufc out.

"College athlete - Ife_ohalete @ Twitter"

Mothswords
Mothswords
  • Predictions:  2,554  |  63.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,348
  • Post Score: 150

07.01.2023 | 11:40 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 1 Perfect, 470 Points   |   Tied for 1847th

Volkanovski vs. Rodriguez
Alexander Volkanovski, TKO, R5
This card has got me rock hard. Hopefully 0 ******y happens on this card. Yair is super dangerous & can definitely pull off the upset but volk is too damn good. I think if yair doesn't get a finish in the first two rounds volk will take over

Moreno vs. Pantoja III
Alexandre Pantoja, DEC
I know Moreno has improved but I'm going with the guy that beat him twice already

Nickal vs. Gore
Bo Nickal, TKO, R1
I'll go with nickal by ground and pound because I think Gore is trash but what happens if nickal doesn't get a 1st round finish? Will be be completely gassed? I'd keep nickal out of parlays because this is the year of the underdog & we don't know enough about nickal yet

Whittaker vs. Du Plessis
Robert Whittaker, DEC
Whittaker 30-27 because he's 1 of 2 middleweights actually has talent. Du plessis won't be able to Chad his way through this

Hooker vs. Turner
Jalin Turner, TKO, R2
Turner is going to **** Hooker up. Simple as that

Lawler vs. Price
Niko Price, TKO, R2
Price is trash but Lawler is completely washed

Brady vs. Maddalena
Jack Della Maddalena, TKO, R1
So bummed this fight is cancelled. JDM would have & will **** him up if they ever fight. Brady got finished by Belal. JDM his good defensive grappling & is an elite killer striker

Ross vs. Aguilar
Jesus Aguilar, SUB, R2
Shannon Ross is trash and should never have been signed to the ufc

Jauregui vs. Gomes
Yazmin Jauregui, DEC
Gomes is a dawg but I'll go with yazmin who I believe is the better striker in a mostly standup fight

Kirk vs. Ribovics
Esteban Ribovics, TKO, R2
Ribovics is way more dangerous

Petrino vs. Prachnio
Marcin Prachnio, TKO, R1
Vitor please demolish this goblin rat looking ****

Crute vs. Menifield II
Jimmy Crute, DEC
Crute is a meathead but if he grapples he should win. He'll get ****** up if he tries to stand and bang though

Saaiman vs. Mitchell
Cameron Saaiman, TKO, R3
Should be an easy victory for saaiman

Cháirez vs. Taira
Tatsuro Taira, SUB, R2
Chairez has lost by submission before by lesser grapplers than Taira who is legit

GreenTeaEnthusiast
GreenTeaEnthusiast

07.01.2023 | 11:45 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 631st

Volkanovski vs. Rodriguez
Alexander Volkanovski, TKO, R3
Volk is one of those guys whom you can back with complete confidence. He always figures it out. That being said, I'm not counting out Rodriguez, and I could absolutely see him stunning the champ with his left high kick as he leans into it. Setups are an underrated aspect of Yair's game, but if anybody can, Volkanovski will have made a spectacular read on him. Probably the most cerebral guy on the roster next to Jon Jones.

Moreno vs. Pantoja III
Alexandre Pantoja, DEC
This is a coin flip fight. I love both guys, and I'd hate to see Moreno lose the belt after virtually dominating Figueiredo in his last outing. Both guys have improved tons since they last met, but one thing I still see Moreno struggling with - maybe because his style just does not permit him to deal with it - is swift rhythm disruptions. Pantoja was changing the tempo of his attacks a lot, even mid-combination, and Moreno couldn't get his game going as a result of it. Pantoja has only gotten better at it, and I don't know if Moreno is equipped to deal with it, because his style is simply to control the pace. If they're going to play that game, I see Pantoja being a step ahead of Moreno for the entirety of the fight. If it gets dirty, Moreno will be able to take over and possibly finish late; as it stands, though, I think this is Pantoja's time.

Whittaker vs. Du Plessis
Robert Whittaker, TKO, R2
I have a bad feeling about this pick, but logically there's no reason why Whittaker shouldn't win. Dricus is an animal, but Whittaker's going to tame him.

Brady vs. Maddalena
Jack Della Maddalena, TKO, R1
Brady is simply an awful striker. Jack is a sniper. One plus one equals two type pick.

Crute vs. Menifield II
Alonzo Menifield, TKO, R1
Crute is a bit of a letdown. I remember when he was a promising prospect, but his striking defense won't allow him to hang. Even if he's a better fighter overall, or has improved leaps and bounds, he's still going to get caught eventually, and every time Menifield landed on him - he rocked his ****. I'll take Alonzo.

Cháirez vs. Taira
Tatsuro Taira, SUB, R1
Showcase spot.

Ifeohalete
Ifeohalete

07.02.2023 | 12:08 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 11 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 680 Points   |   Tied for 28th with 3 others

Saaiman vs. Mitchell
Cameron Saaiman, TKO, R1
EasyW

Ifeohalete
Ifeohalete

07.02.2023 | 2:05 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Crute vs. Menifield II
Alonzo Menifield, DEC
Menifield won the first matchup, this time he will make less mistakes.

Page 16

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC Fight Night Tapology coverage is now live
  • In between bouts, waiting for next fight to begin.
  • Join the UFC Fight Night live discussion
  • UFC Fight Night features 12 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Enterprise Center in St. Louis, Missouri