Topic: UFC on ABC 3

Matchmaking (mostly post-UFC 276.2: Yair vs. Ortega)

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,489  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,788
  • Post Score: 180

07.17.2022 | 12:44 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 305 Points   |   Tied for 2675th

So the MMA gods found the one way Yair could win the main event definitively and yet not surge into the lead for the next FW title shot. Personally I think the idea of Volk fighting whoever wins Oliveira/Makhachev to be laughable. Maybe if Oliveira wins but the fighter moving up should fight a legit contender first so I wouldn't make it. If the division hasn't made progress by the time his hand heals they could rethink it but I see plenty of contenders ready for LW. 

I like the idea of Yair/Emmett for an interim title to put pressure on Volk to defend (or vacate) because I see plenty of contenders at LW but that makes matching the 5 undefeated FW prospects difficult without sacrificing at least 2 in a fight vs. each other. 

Allen, Evloev, Mitchell, Topuria, and Lerone Murphy are the order I would rank prospects. Jung might retire, Max might be done at FW, Ortega's out for awhile so that leaves Kattar, Ige, and Barboza who are all coming off losses but would still be good "scalps" for the prospects, and Yair and Emmett to match up with Allen and Evloev. So: 

Yair vs. Allen
Emmett vs. Evloev
Mitchell vs. Ige   I rank Kattar higher but I just think Ige would be more fun plus see next line
Topuria vs. Kattar  because I'm a fan of Mitchell and I think Kattar beats both
Lerone Murphy vs. Barboza 

Burgos vs. the winner of Sodiq/Giga
Jourdain vs. Hooker

Algeo vs. Erosa

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

UFC on ABC 3
  • Saturday 07.16.2022 at 11:00 AM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ABC | Prelims: ESPN
  • Name: UFC on ABC 3: Ortega vs. Rodriguez
  • Also Known As: UFC Fight Night Long Island
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UBS Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Paul Felder, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $2,110,000
  • Attendance: 16,979
  • TV Ratings: 951,000 avg. viewers
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Yair Rodriguez   defeats   Brian Ortega   via KO/TKO, Shoulder Injury   4:11 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Amanda Lemos   defeats   Michelle Waterson-Gomez   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:48 Round 2 of 3, 6:48 Total Bout Page
Jingliang Li   defeats   Muslim Salikhov   via KO/TKO, Right Cross to Ground Strikes   4:38 Round 2 of 3, 9:38 Total Bout Page
Matt Schnell   defeats   Sumudaerji   via Submission, Triangle Choke   4:24 Round 2 of 3, 9:24 Total Bout Page
Shane Burgos   defeats   Charles Jourdain   via Decision, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Lauren Murphy   defeats   Miesha Tate   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Punahele Soriano   defeats   Dalcha Lungiambula   via KO/TKO, Overhand Left to Uppercut   0:28 Round 2 of 3, 5:28 Total Bout Page
Ricky Simón   defeats   Jack Shore   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   3:28 Round 2 of 3, 8:28 Total Bout Page
Bill Algeo   defeats   Herbert Burns   via KO/TKO, Exhaustion From Damage   1:50 Round 2 of 3, 6:50 Total Bout Page
Dustin Jacoby   defeats   Da Un Jung   via KO/TKO, Right Cross   3:13 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Dustin Stoltzfus   defeats   Dwight Grant   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Emily Ducote   defeats   Jessica Penne   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

07.20.2022 | 3:19 PM ET

Lemos vs. Marina or Rose
Waterson vs. loser of Vlismas/Ricci
Ducote vs. Karolina 

mulefloyd
mulefloyd

07.24.2022 | 10:06 AM ET

Well this has certainly been a ****** couple of weeks for the main event favorites. 

Paddy has a wide range of options. Azaitar (2-0 UFC) seems the best matchup but not my choice. Time to find out how his star power handles a probable loss because I have 4 fighters on my cheat sheet of LWs listed just below Paddy and Azaitar who could all beat Paddy so why not give him someone he should lose to? The 4 fighters I mentioned are Jamie Mullarkey, Mike Davis, Matt Frevola, and Des Green. Green especially, along with Jalin Turner and Fiziev are probably the worst stylistic matchups for him but I could see Paddy hanging with those who mainly want to grapple**** him like Dawson or Solecki, or possibly even Madsen and Gillespie. I saw someone suggest Jim Miller and while I don't think that would go well for him, it's certainly as winnable as some of the others I've mentioned and I don't think a loss to someone that experienced and/or highly ranked would damage his star power as long as he doesn't get trucked. 

My choice would be Joe Solecki. 

Pearce and Wood would actually be a good matchup test for both: How does Pearce handle a better striker with good tdd and how does Wood handle a bigger pressure grappler now that he's moved up to FW. 

Dawodu would be a good matchup for Pearce but I think that fight would be pretty boring. 

I find that in a vacuum it's better to match up winners with winners and losers with fighters coming off a loss. Doesn't have to be a hard and fast rule but should usually be followed. So many matchmakers (On To The Next One for example) seem to break this guideline for the majority of their picks and I, for one, don't agree with it. With more experienced fighters or in shallower divisions it's more likely to be necessary but for at least WW thru BW, it's far more likely that it can be followed.

AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  16,055  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32,152
  • Post Score: 88

07.24.2022 | 1:37 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 545 Points   |   Tied for 172nd

Matt Frevola vs paddy would be a banger and not a crazy step up for paddy. That should be next 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Bianca Basilio Puts Opponent To Sleep In 35 Seconds At ONE Fight Night 22
  • Bad Left Hook : Canelo vs Munguia: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • MMA Mania : UFC 301 odds: Opening and closing betting line movements
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo Alvarez vs. Jaime Munguia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Canelo vs. Munguia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 301 Results: Pantoja vs. Erceg
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: CEAST AND DESIST!
  • MMA Junkie : Artur Beterbiev vs. Dmitry Bivol postponed due to injury
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Welcomes Jones’ Heavyweight Challenge
  • MMA Mania : Pereira Accepts Jones’ Heavyweight Challenge
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 ABC Conference set for July in Louisville, Ky.
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 ABC Conference set for July in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Video! Oliveira Cradles Teammate During Terrifying Weight Cut
  • UFC.com : Drakkar Klose Is Tuning Out The Noise
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Fighters talk favorite Jose Aldo memories ahead of UFC 301
  • Bad Left Hook : Beterbiev vs Bivol postponed due to injury, rest of card goes on
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 301's Paul Craig: Caio Borralho in Rio not favorable, but 'we have built our career in the UFC over upsets'
  • UFC.com : The Most Dangerous Vinc Pichel
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Promises To ‘Knock McGregor Out Bad’
  • MMA Junkie : Charles Oliveira willing to be backup for Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler – under one condition