Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Vera vs. Cruz

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,029
  • Post Score: 47

05.12.2022 | 11:27 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 08.13.2022 at 04:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN
  • Name: UFC Fight Night: Vera vs. Cruz
  • Also Known As: UFC Fight Night San Diego
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: Pechanga Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Brendan Fitzgerald, Michael Bisping, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Joe Martinez
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $1,735,000
  • Attendance: 12,804
  • TV Ratings: 797,000 avg. viewers (481k ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Marlon Vera   defeats   Dominick Cruz   via KO/TKO, Head Kick   2:17 Round 4 of 5, 17:17 Total Bout Page
Nate Landwehr   defeats   David Onama   via Decision, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Yazmin Jauregui   defeats   Iasmin Lucindo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Azamat Murzakanov   defeats   Devin Clark   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   1:18 Round 3 of 3, 11:18 Total Bout Page
Priscila Cachoeira   defeats   Ariane Lipski   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:05 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Gerald Meerschaert   defeats   Bruno Silva   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   1:39 Round 3 of 3, 11:39 Total Bout Page
Angela Hill   defeats   Lupita Godinez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Martin Buday   defeats   Łukasz Brzeski   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nina Nunes   defeats   Cynthia Calvillo   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Gabriel Benítez   defeats   Charlie Ontiveros   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   3:35 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tyson Nam   defeats   Ode Osbourne   via KO/TKO, Counter Right Hook   2:59 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Josh Quinlan   defeats   Jason Witt   via KO/TKO, Left Hook   2:09 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Youssef Zalal   vs.   Da'Mon Blackshear   Ends in a Draw, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 18

CrimsonChinGuru
CrimsonChinGuru
  • Predictions:  3,119  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  10,537
  • Post Score: 109

08.10.2022 | 12:54 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 495 Points   |   Tied for 649th

@gliese depends but Zalal isn't very thick or muscled up. 
So he'd be cutting 10 extra lbs of what little muscle he has left on his frame.

On the other hand Blackshear is quite strong, most of his wrestling is out strengthening the opponent. 
That's why Sabatello ran a technique clinic on him, you can't out strengthen techinally better wrestlers with high success.

Also Blackshear has been making massive improvements all around since going to Jackson Winks MMA, Zalal is also very young still finding his game. UFC knew what they were doing, this is a real test both ways.

* Edited at 08.10.2022, 1:04 AM ET *

"They killed Jesus for speaking the truth..."

gliese58i
gliese58i
  • Predictions:  1,386  |  65.2%
  • Forum Posts:  10,341
  • Post Score: 129

08.10.2022 | 1:32 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 4 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 368th

Yeah I don't have that much material on Blackshear but I capped it around 60/40 in favor of Zalal. Got him at -110, line has moved a bit now. Should be a good dog spot for Blackshear if you think it will be close.

"She’ll go there and smash her. She’ll get a title shot, become a UFC champion. We have a Ronda Rousey on steroids. This is what we have.” - Ali Abdelaziz on Kayla Harrison

AndresMontana
AndresMontana
  • Predictions:  2,835  |  74.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,209
  • Post Score: -6

08.10.2022 | 2:17 AM ET

@papuhart GO TO ****HUB HANNAH GOLDY, THIS IS MMA🤡

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 202nd

Hannah Goldy and all this chicks shouldnt able to be in the UFC. They only look a spot to catch nerds and virgins to win some money with in onlyfans. 
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 4 months, 4 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours, and 5 minutes from now.
AndresMontana
AndresMontana
  • Predictions:  2,835  |  74.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,209
  • Post Score: -6

08.10.2022 | 2:18 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 5 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 202nd

For me Blackshear is mediocre, Zalal is goin to dominate that fight and win by decision.
This user is suspended from posting until 1 year, 4 months, 4 weeks, 1 day, 21 hours, and 5 minutes from now.
RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,816
  • Post Score: 141

08.10.2022 | 2:27 AM ET

Main Card Picks

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1828th

These are my early predictions. Could change with weight ins. Will do the prelims later.
This card is a little more tricky than I first thought but I think there are good reasons to pick each fight.

1. Vera (Decision)
This is probably the most difficult fight to pick on the card for me. Imo it basically comes down to 2 factors. Vera depends on scoring damage to win. Cruz depends on evasiveness, avoiding being hit and volume. So basically Cruz needs to keep distance and be mobile. And Vera needs to slow him down and hit him. Sounds simple lol! The main issue I think is that Cruz is now older and slightly less speedy. Also if Vera keeps hitting him with leg kicks as I think he will that will affect him. Cruz does not have the power to stop Vera and even if he out volumes him the damage will be more apparent from Vera's strikes. The wrestling/grappling will cancel each other out I feel and this will mainly be decided on the feet. It will be very close but I think I like Vera to take a close decison or a late finish.

2. Onama (KO)
Again a close one. But as much as I love Nate, I am going with Onama. He is big, has a reach advantage, may be faster, has a great chin and good cardio and will be the better striker. As we have seen Nate can get clipped and put out and when he charges forward he could eat a shot. I am sure Nate will try to force the pace and pressure Onama with volume and wrestling but I think at some point he will eat a shot and go down.

3. Silva (KO)
This fight could be closer than the odds suggest but I very much doubt we see the score cards. Silva should be able to crack GM3 and put him out, his striking and power is too good. But he does tend to get caught in submissions despite being a black belt so I am a little cautious. That said I expect him to keep it standing and smack up GM3 who definitely does not have a good chin and will be much slower.

4.  Azamat (KO)
I think too much should not be read into Azamat's last fight against Tafon. This is a very very different fight and Devin will not be able to do what Tafon did. Azamat has very good wrestling and sambo so should be able to defend the take downs and the striking skill is not close. He will be faster and much more powerful and should be able to put it on Devin.

5. Nunes (Dec)
My only real concern for this fight is the fact that when this was last scheduled Nunes pulled out with a stomach bug. I hope she has recovered fully because I think she is going to dominate Calvillo. Her takedown defence and get up game is good (and when she got taken down by Dern that was after a long break from fighting and with all the baby issues) Even if Calvillo gets her to the ground as I am sure she will once or twice she will not be able to do what Dern did. On the feet Calvillo gets pieced up and picked apart. She also quit last fight which was a terrible look and now has an Only Fans. Fade Fade Fade.

6. Yasmin (KO)
I don't know a whole lot about her opponent (seems decent) but she is short notice and I know that Yasmin is good. I really expect her to win this fairly easily and become a prospect in the division. Yasmin tends to finish fights.
Goldy99
Goldy99
  • Predictions:  1,281  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  67
  • Post Score: 127

08.10.2022 | 4:45 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 2988th

Gabriel Benitez vs Charlie Ontiveros 
Gabriel Benitez, SUB, R2
The Caliber of opponents that are beating Benitez are on such a different level from Ontiveros. Honestly can't think of a reason why Ontiveros is still in the UFC out of all 8 of his losses he has been finished every time and I believe he will be finished once again in this spot. His defense is non existent although he does throw wild strikes at times, it may make Benitez hesitant at first but Benitez should be smart enough to take to the ground and get the job done there.
Vasilis_Milan
Vasilis_Milan
  • Predictions:  246  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  299
  • Post Score: 93

08.10.2022 | 6:02 AM ET

@Rusty

Predictions: 1 of 4 Winners, 0 Perfect, 50 Points   |   Tied for 4072nd

Why a pick about the fight can be changed after the weight ins? What do you see in the weight ins that chainge your mind about the fighter's skills
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

08.10.2022 | 6:18 AM ET

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

RustyTennakoon
RustyTennakoon
  • Predictions:  1,464  |  67.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,816
  • Post Score: 141

08.10.2022 | 6:55 AM ET

@Vasilis_Milan

Predictions: 6 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1828th

Quite a lot actually bro. If the fighter looks really dehydrated or unsteady thats may mean a bad cut, also if anyone needs to use the box that's a worry. Also sometimes you can just look at them and tell they are in trouble.

Also in the faceoffs you can get quite a lot of good info, including size difference and attitude on fight day. It can mean something.

I'd recommend you watch DiehardMMA's post weigh in show (It's called the Undefeated Weigh In Show). Clint who hosts it does tend to overcall things and read too much into things, but it's still good insight. He also does a prop show called Total Takedown which is a really good breakdown of over unders. I rate that prop show especially. 
Erison
Erison
  • Predictions:  1,678  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  4,896
  • Post Score: 227

08.10.2022 | 7:36 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 2476th

The thing about Quinlan is that the science is clear. What he tested positive for in the past (whether you think he cheated or had a tainted supplement (a real problem right now)) stays in your system in trace amounts for years. And this was such a fractional positive, that USADA knows to ignore it. Hence why Dana simply moved the fight out of the local commission. 

Call him a cheat, but this drug test isn't evidence of anything new.
DelinquentMMA
DelinquentMMA
  • Predictions:  2,148  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  278
  • Post Score: 229

08.10.2022 | 7:48 AM ET

Predictions: 2 of 5 Winners, 0 Perfect, 100 Points   |   Tied for 3971st

"Delinquent MMA"

Vasilis_Milan
Vasilis_Milan
  • Predictions:  246  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  299
  • Post Score: 93

08.10.2022 | 7:52 AM ET

@Rusty

Predictions: 1 of 4 Winners, 0 Perfect, 50 Points   |   Tied for 4072nd

I don't know man.
Maybe you are right.
I personally never saw weight ins or face offs before. And I don't have a problem with picks or betting.
I always count the ability of the fighter.
Goldy99
Goldy99
  • Predictions:  1,281  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  67
  • Post Score: 127

08.10.2022 | 10:34 AM ET

Lukasz Brzeski vs Martin Buday 
Martin Buday, TKO, R2 
Really not been that impressed by either man, although the clinch work from Buday will play a factor in this fight because of the huge weight deficit. I can see as the fight goes on Brzeski will start to gas out because of it and Buday pouring more pressure on with the volume of his strikes aswell leading to a knockout for him halfway through the second round.
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,973  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,077
  • Post Score: 88

08.10.2022 | 10:55 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 3 Perfect, 570 Points   |   Tied for 164th

I can’t believe onama is -300 right now. He should win but man, idk if he should be that big of a favorite after last fight; his striking defense is an issue 

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

Rumble1026
Rumble1026
  • Predictions:  3,064  |  70.1%
  • Forum Posts:  103
  • Post Score: 146

08.10.2022 | 12:21 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 6 Perfect, 640 Points   |   Tied for 27th with 8 others

Nunes vs. Calvillo
Nina Nunes, DEC
Definitely a dog or pass situation. I'll stay away from this fight from a betting perspective. Not even sure how this fight made it this far up the card. Both ladies are coming off losing streaks. I suppose the wrestling edge goes to Calvillo. I feel Nunes can out strike her. should just be a greasy decision so I'll go with Nunes but I'm not confident in this fight at all.

Jauregui vs. Lucindo
Yazmin Jauregui, DEC
Should be a fun scrap between two young female prospects making their debut. Wasn't able to get much film from Lucindo, but she seems to be a pretty strong grappler with a grinding ground and pound style. Jauregui is a very aggressive striker that will walk you down and swarm you with pressure. My lean is Jauregui in this spot. I think she can use her footwork and throw some volume. If this fight gets to the mat, I would assume favors Lucindo. but I think Jauregui will be able to get up and keep this primarily standing.

"What an excellent day for combat."

ImRealUgly
ImRealUgly
  • Predictions:  2,169  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,201
  • Post Score: 131

08.10.2022 | 12:38 PM ET

@Rusty

Predictions: 4 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 3074th

Brooo I love Die Hard! It sucks that he’s in a slump right now though. 

"Echoes of past events, nudge the tiller on my present course. I await its reflection in the future."

Theeraser
Theeraser
  • Predictions:  2,240  |  61.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,057
  • Post Score: 144

08.10.2022 | 2:19 PM ET

does anyone know how blackshear is 

"Too much wine "

Baron Von Rattus
Baron Von Rattus
  • Predictions:  92  |  69.6%
  • Forum Posts:  693
  • Post Score: 305

08.10.2022 | 2:20 PM ET

****, at least definitely not UFC level imo

"I’m in love, Robb, I’m in love with a billion billion people, and I know all of them better than I ever knew you, and they know me, all of me, and they love me."- A song for Lya

Theeraser
Theeraser

08.10.2022 | 2:21 PM ET

@Baron do you think he stands any chance against zalal then because i dont find zalal to be bad 

"Too much wine "

Theeraser
Theeraser

08.10.2022 | 2:31 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Onama vs. Landwehr
David Onama, TKO, R1
close fight odds are too high on onama as nate is a ******* dog but i think onama finds it early and puts nate out

Nunes vs. Calvillo
Nina Nunes, DEC
take the dog or stay away

Jauregui vs. Lucindo
Yazmin Jauregui, TKO, R2
yazmin seems like a good prospect

Hill vs. Godinez
Lupita Godinez, DEC
hill cant win a fight and loopy has found herself

Zalal vs. Blackshear
Da'Mon Blackshear, DEC
just gonna take the dog here **** it he seemed to have relentless wrestling

Witt vs. Quinlan
Josh Quinlan, TKO, R1
steroid man gets the ko

Lipski vs. Cachoeira
Ariane Lipski, DEC
id stay away from this one because of how lipski looked on the scales last week

"Too much wine "

Page 18

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : 2024 MMA retirement tracker: A list of those who hung up the gloves
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘Are you kidding me?’: Kendra McIntyre uncorks ferocious head kick knockout at LFA 182
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Says Ilia Topuria Trash Talks Like An ‘Angry Girlfriend’, Talks Ryan Garcia Betting On Himself
  • MMAFighting.com : Ben Rothwell explains why he spars ‘religiously’ but doesn’t go full Sean Strickland with teammates
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 predictions: Matheus Nicolau or Alex Perez in Las Vegas?
  • UFC.com : Official Scorecards | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • UFC.com : Main Card Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • UFC.com : Prelim Results | UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez
  • MMA Junkie : Tim Means vs. Uros Medic prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Matheus Nicolau willing to cut weight twice in one week for UFC 301 backup spot
  • Middle Easy : Tito Ortiz ‘Incredibly Honored’ To Be Sworn In As Honorary Sheriff In Florida
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Start Time, Full Fight Details!
  • MMA Junkie : Jonathan Pearce vs. David Onama prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Jhonata Diniz vs. Austen Lane prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry appreciates he’s the A-side now in all his fights, but still wants biggest names possible
  • MMA Mania : KnuckleMania 4 Start Time, Fight Card Details
  • MMA Junkie : Karine Silva vs. Ariane da Silva prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann vs. Bogdan Guskov prediction, pick, start time, odds for UFC on ESPN 55
  • MMA Mania : Is This The Most Violent KO In WMMA History?
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Vegas 91 predictions