Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Gastelum

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  33,025
  • Post Score: 47

01.15.2021 | 7:44 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 04.17.2021 at 07:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN
  • Name: UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs. Gastelum
  • Also Known As: UFC Vegas 24
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UFC APEX
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Brendan Fitzgerald, Michael Bisping, Dominick Cruz
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Michael Bisping
  • TV Ratings: 953,000 avg. viewers (1.1M peak, 879k ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 10
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Robert Whittaker   defeats   Kelvin Gastelum   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Andrei Arlovski   defeats   Chase Sherman   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jacob Malkoun   defeats   Abdul Razak Alhassan   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tracy Cortez   defeats   Justine Kish   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Luis Pena   defeats   Alex Munoz   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alexandr Romanov   defeats   Juan Espino   via Decision, Technical Split Decision   3 Rounds, 11:05 Total Bout Page
Jessica Penne   defeats   Lupita Godinez   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Gerald Meerschaert   defeats   Bartosz Fabiński   via Submission, Power Guillotine Choke   2:00 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Austin Hubbard   defeats   Dakota Bush   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tony Gravely   defeats   Anthony Birchak   via KO/TKO, Left Hook and Hammerfist   1:31 Round 2 of 3, 6:31 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 12

VicVinegar
VicVinegar
  • Predictions:  1,786  |  62.3%
  • Forum Posts:  96
  • Post Score: 252

04.16.2021 | 11:41 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 5 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 770th

Klose vs. Stephens
Jeremy Stephens, TKO, R2
Stephens vs Klose, the co-main event. This one already got off to a good start at the weigh-ins and it promises to continue that level of excitement in the cage. It would be easy to think that Stephens is much older here but Jeremy is 34 and Drakkar is 33. The gap in experience is where the difference really lies between these two. Jeremy has a whopping 33 UFC fights and he has fought the who’s who of the lightweight and featherweight divisions. Jeremy is the far more prolific finisher, finishing 75% of his career wins while Klose has only finished at a 36% rate. The reason Jeremy finishes fights is because he has fight changing power. He lands a knockdown on 1.5% of his SS landed which is crazy for the 145/155 divisions. Klose wins close fights and uses the clinch and his wrestling to suffocate his opponents and drag them into deep water. Klose has 53% striking accuracy while Stephens only has 40% and Stephens striking defense is 58% while Klose’s is 54%. Neither one of these guys has proven to be chinny. The grappling stats are similar. Stephens averages 1.16 TDs per 15 while Klose averages 1.56. Both these guys have around 20% control time and they give up about 20% control time. Stephens has fought the more experienced and tougher competition but Klose hasn’t exactly had a cake walk thus far. I think Stephens power is what makes the difference here and I see him hurting Drakkar at least once changing the momentum of this fight. I don’t see Klose having a path to victory with his wrestling because Jeremys TD defense is too good. I’m picking Stephens by 2nd round KO.

"I fell in love with the box" Renato Moicano

DCpredictions
DCpredictions
  • Predictions:  1,644  |  59.4%
  • Forum Posts:  842
  • Post Score: 141

04.16.2021 | 11:54 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 515 Points   |   Tied for 603rd

Whittaker vs. Gastelum
Robert Whittaker, SUB, R4
No research done this week been busy. Just going by gut and the wieghins/faceoffs

Razak Alhassan vs. Malkoun
Jacob Malkoun, TKO, R2
There's a certian "he clearly looked intimidated in his debut but how will he look if he goes in with better mindset" factor about this guy and he's way too non muscular to not be raw enough to be at this level. It's not like they are desperate for middle weights like if he was a heavyweight. So **** it I wouldn't bet money go robert whittaker if you put him in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Pena vs. Munoz
Luis Pena, DEC
Experience

Cortez vs. Kish
Tracy Cortez, DEC
I should fade the bad weight cut but I still feel she has it

Romanov vs. Espino
Juan Espino, TKO, R1
Better stand up

Penne vs. Godinez
Jessica Penne, DEC
**** it

Meerschaert vs. Fabiński
Gerald Meerschaert, SUB, R3
Kinda **** it but also expierence.

VicVinegar
VicVinegar

04.17.2021 | 1:05 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Arlovski vs. Sherman
Andrei Arlovski, DEC
I’m not sure what to think here because there are so many red flags. Arlovski is so old and has so many miles on him. He has been knocked out double digit times in his over 50 fight career and Sherman has finished 93% of his wins, however, Sherman is coming off a PED suspension and his UFC wins have been against less than impressive competition. Sherman is without a doubt the busier striker as Arlovski throws no volume at all but Arlovski is better defensively. Arlovski gets knocked down and lands knockdowns on about .9% of the SS he lands and are landed against him so there is certainly a path to victory here for Sherman via knockout. Sherman has not even tried a takedown thus far in his UFC career so its safe to say Sherman wants to keep this standing and Andrei will most likely oblige him. Do we go with the experience and veteran savvy of Arlovski or the busier striking, leg kick attack and youth of Sherman? I haven’t seen Sherman beat anyone good enough to think he gets the nod over Arlovski so I’ll take Andrei by decision in a low volume staring contest. Definitely not touching this from a betting perspective as there are too many red flags and unanswered questions.

VicVinegar
VicVinegar

04.17.2021 | 1:11 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Abdul Razak Alhassan, TKO, R1
Jacob Malkoun's performance against Phil Hawes was one of the top 5 worst performances I have ever seen in the octagon. He backed up the whole time, looked scared and got KO'd with one punch. That fight was an ass-shaving, plain and simple. Alhassan has looked like total dog**** in his last 2 outings coming off a long layoff due to legal troubles and he missed weight both times after he returned. He made Mounir Lazzez look like a future star which he probably isnt and got KO's clean by a Khaos Williams jab. I am not betting either of these guys because neither is trustworthy but after the ass-shaving Malkoun took in his debut it's almost impossible to picture him winning against Alhassan that now doesnt have to go through a brutal weight cut. I'm calling for Alhassan by 1st round ass-shaving here.

Pezzie
Pezzie
  • Predictions:  1,054  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  107
  • Post Score: -23

04.17.2021 | 1:24 AM ET

BOUT BETTER PICKS

Predictions: 5 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 2619th

"never tell me the odds."

saucysidekick
saucysidekick
  • Predictions:  276  |  54.3%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 157

04.17.2021 | 1:49 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 3 of 6 Winners, 2 Perfect, 200 Points   |   Tied for 3476th

Whittaker vs. Gastelum
Kelvin Gastelum, TKO, R1
kelvin has dropped a lot of middle weights before his skid. previous 170lber bobby knuckles has been taking shots like a welterweight recently and seems to get dazed in every fight. this fridge is a tough matchup

RX fook jon jones
RX fook jon jones
  • Predictions:  2,280  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  50
  • Post Score: 94

04.17.2021 | 3:58 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 10 Winners, 5 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 1793rd

Pena vs. Munoz
Luis Pena, DEC
Always Pick Bob Ross

"Mentally Undefeated"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,544
  • Post Score: 262

04.17.2021 | 4:53 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 2 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 125 Points   |   Tied for 3572nd

Whittaker vs. Gastelum
Kelvin Gastelum, TKO, R2
Just think Bobby line is a little Infleated, Should be -150 not -300. Bobby can go to slept,

Klose vs. Stephens
Jeremy Stephens, TKO, R2
Stephens is going to close fight with Yair, Zabit, Calvin and Aldo. Klose is not impressive but is winning, Don't think Stephins is looking old so he should **** up Klose

Arlovski vs. Sherman
Andrei Arlovski, DEC
Chase suck and Andrei Old, Close fight, Picking the old dog here

Jacob Malcoun only in the UFC because he butt buddy with Robby. Getting slept in under 60

Pena vs. Munoz
Luis Pena, DEC
I like most people just pick Pena for some reason, Even tho dude not super great, Think it the look.

Cortez vs. Kish
Tracy Cortez, DEC
Kish poo poo her self and should score anything because her strikes look like they don't hurt. Cortez look pretty good but It women MMA still so I don't know

Romanov vs. Espino
Juan Espino, TKO, R2
Anyone seen Romanov ground and pound, **** embarsing, Think Espino gonna kept it on the feet and knock him out

Penne vs. Godinez
Lupita Godinez, DEC
Penne hasn't fought in 5 year, Haven't won in 8 years, Off the Roids, 38 years old, Have a side gig of sending feet pick on Only fans, Lupita should destroy her as she has great hands, But it WMMA so it 50-50, So be carfull putting money on Godinez,

Meerschaert vs. Fabiński
Bartosz Fabiński, DEC
Hope Im wrong and Fabinski get owend, This guy wresle like what casual think grappling is,Lay on a guy for 15 minute with no progression or ground and pound.

Hubbard vs. Bush
Dakota Bush, DEC
Never picking agaist a guy who nickname is Hairy Bush

Gravely vs. Birchak
Tony Gravely, DEC
Gravely gonna Takedown!!! Takedown!!! Takedown!!! Give Me fight

"Quack quack quack"

KyleH
KyleH
  • Predictions:  10,211  |  71.1%
  • Forum Posts:  6,529
  • Post Score: 196

04.17.2021 | 6:13 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1234th

I kinda want to switch to Munoz after the weigh in, Pena looked malnourished 

"There's 3 things in life that excite me. A woman, of course. Dinosaurs, and the violence of the Octagon" - GSP

TARTARA
TARTARA
  • Predictions:  53,902  |  69.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,186
  • Post Score: 65

04.17.2021 | 6:41 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 10 Winners, 2 Perfect, 265 Points   |   Tied for 3281st

"KURZHAAR - Tomorrow Never Comes Until It's Too Late"

Tieoken
Tieoken
  • Predictions:  1,977  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,620
  • Post Score: 313

04.17.2021 | 7:50 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1948th

I’m picking against pena because he has bad TDD against bad wrestlers and Munoz is a good wrestler. But Peña always looks rough on the scales and usually holds up. As for Cortez, she’s beaten two decent UFC bantamweights, and I think she ****** up her first cut back to 125, but she had a successful career at 125 prior to the UFC and I think this is her best division. Cortez by 30-27.

* Edited at 04.17.2021, 7:55 AM ET *

"I’m here to snatch necks and cash checks" - Darrick Minner

Nick Valentine
Nick Valentine
  • Predictions:  3,027  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  90
  • Post Score: 157

04.17.2021 | 8:31 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 10 Winners, 5 Perfect, 550 Points   |   Tied for 281st

Bobby Knuckles by split decision

"There really is no way to ride a seesaw with dignity"

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,787
  • Post Score: 180

04.17.2021 | 8:41 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 1587th

Hubbard vs. Bush
Austin Hubbard, DEC
Thud vs. Hairy. Nice.

Gravely vs. Birchak
Tony Gravely, DEC
Boo

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

JohnVolcan
JohnVolcan
  • Predictions:  5,334  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  624
  • Post Score: 235

04.17.2021 | 8:49 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1234th

Whittaker vs. Gastelum
Robert Whittaker, DEC
I will take Whittaker to win, like almost everybody here, but I'm not confident in my pick at all. Gastelum can really win this fight, his power is really impressive at middleweight, as he was able to KO or at least hurt almost everybody he fought at this weight (Adesanya, Bisping, Weidman, Kennedy...). Whittaker is tough, but took a huge amount of punishment in almost all his recent fights (Brunson rocked him bad, Romeo beat the hell out of him multiple times, I don't know how he was able to survive those moments, Adesanya destroyed him, Till dropped him with a nasty short elbow...). He should still have the advantage here, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets KO'd by Gastelum.

"Check my ART here if you want : https://www.instagram.com/john.volcan/"

MidNiteBlues
MidNiteBlues
  • Predictions:  5,675  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  65
  • Post Score: 286

04.17.2021 | 8:50 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 6 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 770th

Whitaker by dec been paying rent for years now lol. Think his chin can hold up couple more fights, I was confident against Costa, more so now with KG. 

"So, if guns don't kill people, people kill people...Does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast."

NgannouPunch
NgannouPunch
  • Predictions:  436  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  978
  • Post Score: 224

04.17.2021 | 9:03 AM ET

Predictions: 4 of 10 Winners, 2 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 3325th

I'm still laughing my ass off at people thinking Kelvin is going to knock anyone out. Dude ain't knocking anyone out...maybe if they feed him a can.

He caught an aging Bisping that fought on 2 weeks notice in China...please stop.
Tieoken
Tieoken

04.17.2021 | 9:23 AM ET

@Ngannou I’m surprised you’re so adamant about that. Like **** Ronda “head movement” Rousey was KOing people. KO potential isn’t exactly rare, in fact I’d argue that there’s not a man on the UFC roster (other than Chase Hooper) who isn’t capable of delivering enough force to KO someone. The impressive thing, and what people are confident in, is Robert’s (and other top 185ers) ability to avoid getting KO’d by Gastelum.

NgannouPunch
NgannouPunch
  • Predictions:  436  |  58.5%
  • Forum Posts:  978
  • Post Score: 224

04.17.2021 | 9:35 AM ET

@Tioken

Predictions: 4 of 10 Winners, 2 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 3325th

That is true these guys are fighting at the highest level...and anyone can get caught.

Kelvin hasnt been looking to throw hands these past couple fights. He took Jack Hermansson down (lol) and got heel hooked. They give him a step down in competition and a softball in Ian Heinisch and guess what? He doesnt wanna stand and bang he takes him down and grinds him to a decision.

Dude is short stocky and undersized for 185. He should be fighting at welterweight. I dont see him catching anyone that is decent. He knows when he lets his hands go he gets picked apart. 

I'm just seeing so many people on here ZOMG KELVIN IS GONNA KO WHITTAKER HE HAS NO CHIN. 

If Whittaker can eat shots from true crystal power Jared Cannonier...he can eat whatever kelvin throws.

* Edited at 04.17.2021, 9:35 AM ET *

Tieoken
Tieoken

04.17.2021 | 9:51 AM ET

Yeah, I agree with that. I think Kelvin has a very very low chance of KOing Whitaker because of how good Whitaker usually is at seeing shots coming and the fact that he has both a range and speed advantage in this fight.

cuellara031
cuellara031
  • Predictions:  2,497  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 200

04.17.2021 | 10:25 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 10 Winners, 6 Perfect, 590 Points   |   Tied for 72nd

bruh

Page 12

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Kayla Harrison Turned Down a Clash with Ketlen Vieira at UFC 303: ‘Stop Running and Sign the Contract’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 weigh-in results and live video stream
  • Middle Easy : Ali Abdelaziz Reveals ‘Crazy’ Story Behind Getting Justin Gaethje an Extra 150k for Fighting Tony Ferguson
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 video: Matheus Nicolau, Alex Perez make weight in Las Vegas
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Vegas 91 weigh-in video live now
  • MMA Junkie : Ketlen Vieira claims she was offered Kayla Harrison for UFC 303: 'She has to stop running'
  • UFC.com : Karine Silva Is All-Business, All-Action
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau vs. Alex Perez prediction, pick: Which flyweight stays in contention at UFC on ESPN 55?
  • UFC.com : Jonathan Pearce: Knocking On The Door
  • MMA Mania : Coach Benched Dariush To ‘Focus On His Health’
  • UFC.com : Marnic Mann Gets Down To Business
  • Middle Easy : Anthony Smith ‘Shocked’ By How Good Sean Strickland Truly Is: ‘He Only Shows a Small Part of His Game’
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: BKFC: Knucklemania 4 pre-fight press conference
  • MMAFighting.com : Thiago Alves was basically retired until BKFC called for Mike Perry fight: ‘Money talks’
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Vegas 91 Early Weigh Ins!
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo ready to trade leg kicks with Jonathan Martinez at UFC 301: 'I'm a specalist at what I do'
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter cusses out judge, tells them to quit
  • MMA Junkie : UFC champion Sean O'Malley on delay for Merab Dvalishvili title bout: 'I'm not fighting out of the country'
  • MMA Mania : BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Predictions
  • MMAFighting.com : Anthony Smith stands by Alex Pereira criticism but promises he’s not just ‘talking sh*t’ about him