Topic: Off Topic

Tapology Talks: Movies

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

05.28.2014 | 7:50 PM ET

I went back all the way to the 20th page and didn't see anyone who started a thread about movies. If there is one, just let this thread sink away into the abyss of thread history, but if not, this is something we can talk about. We've got one for every sport, music, and TV shows. So I figured might as well.

* Edited at 05.28.2014, 7:51 PM ET *

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Responses Page 6

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

08.01.2014 | 9:37 AM ET

Nice assessment @Zarog. I thought it was probably the most well put together Marvel film yet. The comedy and action really blended well, and you caught glimpses of some dark subject material hinted in. I agree as well that this is probably the least kid friendly movie in the MU. 

As far as Drax goes, I think they may have wanted to try and distance him and Hulk. They really made him seem less "super power-y" and more "big bad ass". The thing that surprised me about Drax was how hilarious he was. Dave Bautista really did a great job. 

There were definitely a few "cheesy" moments, but I think that is to be expected in this type of vehicle. Overall, I really think this one set the benchmark moving forward.

I AM GROOT!

"Frig off, bud"

zarog
zarog
  • Predictions:  2,855  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  4,174
  • Post Score: 241

08.01.2014 | 10:13 AM ET

@michigan I honestly can't assess best put together in the MCU, simply because the films are based off of such different source material. Guardians was by far the funniest movie, but the comedy was true to the characters, which is a little different from some of the other movies.

I'll simply add that Guardians of the Galaxy joins The Avengers, Iron Man, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier as part of the top tier of Marvel Studios' films.

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

08.01.2014 | 10:16 AM ET

Interesting viewpoints. 

I'm seeing it tonight with the gf. Should be a good time. 

Interested in seeing how the characters are displayed in some of the battle scenes in terms of power levels (ie: over 9000 or below) compared with the Avengers. I think one of Avengers's best accomplishments is balancing the power on the team and displaying the characters' abilities super close to the comics. 

Iron Man can go a few rounds with Thor once he's charged up, but it's a losing battle. Cap can hold his own next to Thor on the front lines against the Chitauri, but was wearing down. Hulk would overwhelm Thor in a H2H fight, but Mjolnir evens the odds or tips them in Thor's favor. Even Black Widow and Hawkeye were greatly compared -- she would beat him up close, while he would merc her from afar. 

Thus far, I also have Iron Man (2008), Winter Soldier, and Avengers as the films to beat out of the MCU slate, with The Dark World and Iron Man 2 bringing up the rear, though they're still decent. 

* Edited at 08.01.2014, 10:17 AM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

zarog
zarog

08.01.2014 | 1:24 PM ET

I'm actually sorta shocked at how well GotG is being received. It's such a quirky movie that I didn't know if it would be as well liked, but check this out:

Movie: RT Audience %, RT Audience Rating, # of raters

The Avengers: 91%, 4.4/5, 1,112,563
Cap 2: 94%, 4.4/5, 243,684
GotG: 96%, 4.6/5, 113,758

"Surrender??!! You think this letter on my head stands for France?" - Captain America

michigandolphin
michigandolphin

08.01.2014 | 2:48 PM ET

@Zarog, that makes me really happy and super justified. I was a little worried that I was over-selling it when I talked about how much I liked it and how good I thought it was. I think the thing I liked most is that it was a really fun movie. I literally had a smile on my face the whole time. 

"Frig off, bud"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

08.01.2014 | 8:55 PM ET

Guardians of the Galaxy was awesome, I loved that movie.  One of the most entertaining Marvel films I've seen. My wife loved it as well.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

08.01.2014 | 9:04 PM ET

I also saw Lucy which I thoughy was trash. Self Righteous pseudo intellectual sci fi with a message that beats you over the head. Plus a ll the stock NatGeo footage wound up just being distracting.  

Watched Boyhood as well. I totally respect the effort the director had to put into the film over the 12 year shooting schedule.  That being said the final product was no amazing piece of cinema, it's cool to see the kids grow up on screen but it's a pretty basic character sketch/coming of age film that is way short on entertainment or anything of note happening. Not bad just not the amazing perfect film critics have dubbed it 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner
  • Predictions:  9,964  |  57.9%
  • Forum Posts:  5,398
  • Post Score: 283

08.01.2014 | 9:35 PM ET

Guardians of the Galaxy is the best. I loved every minute of it. My opinion is that it is the best of the Marvel cinematic universe. Better than the Avengers in my opinion. Dat post credit scene though. mmmmmmm.

I could rant forever. Especially on what I think can happen in future movies. But that will be later in life. Unless anyone wants to hear it message it.

Overall See this movie. Maybe more than once.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

kallousklown
kallousklown
  • Predictions:  24,203  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  10,967
  • Post Score: 177

08.01.2014 | 9:45 PM ET

I have now seen this movie twice. Saw it last night and this morning as well. Plan on seeing it a few more times.

"Are we gonna jump, or we just gonna jerk each other off?"

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

08.01.2014 | 9:59 PM ET

Just a reminder, don't duck out on seeing the post credits

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Bark Twain

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

08.01.2014 | 11:32 PM ET

Just got back from seeing Guardians. Thought it was fantastic. Definitely in my top 3 MCU films along with Avengers and Winter Soldier. Some of the dialogue was a bit simplistic for my liking, and other moments were absolutely brilliant. Dave Bautista as Drax was a pleasant surprise, though I thought he was a bit underpowered; Groot and Rocket were amazing, Gamora was pretty good and I loved Chris Pratt as Star Lord. 

One thing that breaks my heart every time I see how great most of these MCU films are is that Marvel doesn't have the film rights to my favorite character: Spider-man. 

I hope they don't do the Civil War storyline (or some permutation of it) before getting him back. 

Alas.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

08.01.2014 | 11:44 PM ET

@skelliher

Repost: mmmmmmmmmmm. maybe.
found this. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. planned MCU maybe?

* Edited at 08.01.2014, 11:45 PM ET *

zarog
zarog

08.01.2014 | 11:56 PM ET

@hd I saw that a while back and it has been confirmed as fake. 

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

08.02.2014 | 12:04 AM ET

@zarog
dont crush my dreams. lol.

All though GotG has been confirmed for a sequel, Ant Man is coming, Doctor Strange is confirmed, and Thor 3 is happening and they did confirm that it involves Ragnarok.

I really hope they do make an Inhumans movie though and same with Planet Hulk/WWH

* Edited at 08.02.2014, 12:08 AM ET *

zarog
zarog

08.02.2014 | 12:15 AM ET

@hd I really think we're looking at the Infinity Saga (Infinity Gauntlet, Infinity War, and Infinity Crusade) as being the capper to the MCU. Though, I believe that it will be either May 4, 2018 or May 3, 2019 that an Infinity based movie will be released. *SPOILERS AHEAD* In Thor 2, the end credits scene shows Adam Warlock's cocoon. I believe he will be introduced through the next GotG movie and ultimately set in motion the events that lead to the Infinity Gauntlet storyline.

If they make it through that and there's still desire for movies, then I believe there will be sufficient relationship building having been done that a Civil War film could happen. However, they currently don't have enough characters, though the Netflix series should take care of that soon.

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

08.02.2014 | 11:19 AM ET

@Zarog
With that being said, I hope that the studios can get out of their heads out their asses cause if it is just the Gauntlet series, then we need the Marvel Illuminati. Cause it make sense. 

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

08.02.2014 | 11:10 PM ET

Ummm. yeah. 

michigandolphin
michigandolphin

08.02.2014 | 11:15 PM ET

Bert Macklin you son of a *****...

"Frig off, bud"

sreimuth
sreimuth
  • Predictions:  79,286  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4,245
  • Post Score: 262

08.02.2014 | 11:32 PM ET

Just saw Guardians of the Galaxy and saw the lego movie a couple of weeks ago and the storyline fits each other. Loved Guardians though.

"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into Swansons.- Ron Swanson https://www.instagram.com/seanreimuth/ Follow me."

hdmexiqtioner
hdmexiqtioner

08.05.2014 | 12:57 PM ET

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Video: LFA's Kendra McIntyre ragdoll KOs opponent with absolutely vicious head kick
  • MMA Mania : Staredowns! ‘Platinum’ Has Fiery Exchange With Alves
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video, results
  • MMA Junkie : Anthony Smith on Alex Pereira: 'Given the opportunity, we both would jump on it'
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! BKFC ‘KnuckleMania 4’ Official Weigh Ins Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 ceremonial weigh-ins live stream (9 p.m. ET)
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Recalls Justin Gaethje’s ‘Vibranium’ Leg Kicks: ‘This Guy Kick Hard As Sh*t’
  • MMA Junkie : Vanessa Demopoulos prepared to get used to familiarity with UFC opponents like Emily Ducote
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 weigh-in video at 9 p.m. ET
  • MMA Mania : Aldo Hoping For McGregor ‘Of Old’ At UFC 303
  • Bad Left Hook : Esparza loses three belts on scale
  • Bad Left Hook : Spence reportedly in ligation with former trainer over unpaid fees
  • Bad Left Hook : Errol Spence reportedly in ligation with trainer Derrick James over unpaid fees
  • MMA Junkie : Why Chael Sonnen thinks Tom Aspinall potentially facing Ciryl Gane at UFC 304 is a big risk
  • MMA Mania : ‘Crazy’ Stalker Sneaks Into UFC PI, Claims Ribas Is His ‘Wife’
  • MMAFighting.com : Hailey Cowan reveals nasty leg break, Tamires Vidal gets replacement for UFC Vegas 92 fight
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan: Michael Chandler 'never uses his brain,' has to knock out Conor McGregor early to win
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91: 20 Fun Tidbits, Facts And Storylines
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway confirms Justin Gaethje should’ve been credited for UFC 300 knockdown: ‘That’s some bullsh*t’