Topic: Off Topic

Tapology Talks: Movies

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

05.28.2014 | 7:50 PM ET

I went back all the way to the 20th page and didn't see anyone who started a thread about movies. If there is one, just let this thread sink away into the abyss of thread history, but if not, this is something we can talk about. We've got one for every sport, music, and TV shows. So I figured might as well.

* Edited at 05.28.2014, 7:51 PM ET *

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Responses Page 10

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.05.2014 | 7:09 PM ET

I don't even consider The Dark Knight an action or superhero film. It's more of a crime thriller with a superhero in it. But that's actually something I love about the comic book genre -- it's not really a genre; it can fit all moulds. 

As for Rises, I should make it clear that I actually like the film, but it ranks well below Batman Begins and The Dark Knight on my scale. The climactic fight scenes with Bain were particularly disappointing to me, especially after the inventiveness of the amazing Hallway Fight from Inception, one of the best scenes in film, period IMO.

I'll be checking out Interstellar with tempered expectations, but hopefully it will exceed them. 

* Edited at 11.05.2014, 7:10 PM ET *

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Nomad
Nomad
  • Predictions:  3,465  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5,117
  • Post Score: 181

11.05.2014 | 7:32 PM ET

Heat's definitely one of the best Crime Thrillers of all time too, though. I personally see The Dark Knight as more of a super hero/Action film, but I can see your perspective too.

Interstellar is the film about finding a new planet for humans to inhabit right? Lets see...

Entire film done in CGI check
Starring Actor Mathew McCanau**** check 

Sounds to me like another overrated movie with no depth or art to it whatsoever that people will think was amazing like Gravity. meh

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

OldManGloom
OldManGloom
  • Predictions:  109,651  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  9,505
  • Post Score: 254

11.05.2014 | 7:44 PM ET

@Nomad, I thought Kids was great and highly disturbing at the same time.  Did you every see Bully?  Same director.

"When the system fails you you create your own system."

Nomad
Nomad

11.05.2014 | 7:51 PM ET

Nah, I never have seen Bully but I watched a lot of Teen Dramas growing up...most suck, but when they are good they are kind of special. I see it has Leo Fitzpatrick in it also, so I'll probably give Bully a watch at some point. I remember Leo Fitzpatrick saying people would attack him and he was getting death threats all over New York City because they thought Kids was real and that he was actually the character that he had portrayed. Kids was only disturbing because of how genuine it was, it pulled no punches for the media.

"If I have a goal, then it is to escape from this literalism. I'll never achieve it; in the same way that I'll never manage to describe what really dwells within my character, although I keep on trying."

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.05.2014 | 8:07 PM ET

Actually Interstellar is mostly done through pratical sets on sound stages. Everything they could shoot live is shot live, there isn't an overabundance of CGI. Nolan was very clear on that and I respect it. I wouldn't call the movie shallow it just crushes itself under the weight of it's own self importance and goes on monologues about the guidance of love etc., it is bogged down through it's use of scientific jargon. It is good up until the last 25% or so.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

OldManGloom
OldManGloom

11.05.2014 | 8:28 PM ET

The Virgin Surgeon has to be a GOAT nickname for any movie character. 

And John Carpenter is a favorite of mine as well.  Have you watched In The Mouth Of Madness yet, @Nomad?

Nomad
Nomad

11.05.2014 | 8:50 PM ET

Yeah, I've seen In The Mouth of Madness, Halloween, The Dark Prince, They Live, Christine, The Thing off the top of my head. They're all surprisingly good.

OldManGloom
OldManGloom

11.05.2014 | 9:04 PM ET

Big Trouble In Little China and They Live are two of my all time favorite movies.

Nomad
Nomad

11.05.2014 | 9:40 PM ET

You are a quirky guy Gloom.

OldManGloom
OldManGloom

11.05.2014 | 9:48 PM ET

Yep.

Griffy
Griffy
  • Predictions:  38,656  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  2,503
  • Post Score: 297

11.06.2014 | 10:41 AM ET

@Bigj383 would you say that 'Interstellar' has a '2001' vibe to it?
@OldManGloom "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum' is without a doubt in my Top 3 best movie lines of all time.

* Edited at 11.06.2014, 12:32 PM ET *

"I think Gayffy suits you better, because you are gay." - Nomad

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.06.2014 | 11:13 AM ET

Yes, Parts of it have a 2001 vibe, but it is definitely faster paced with more action than 2001. There is certainly some inspiration there.

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

11.07.2014 | 1:31 AM ET

Just got back from interstellar. I loved it, I'll write up a more detailed review tomorrow. Off to bed!

"Frig off, bud"

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.07.2014 | 3:16 AM ET

Just got back from "Big Hero 6" pretty funny animated film loosely based on a Marvel property of the same name. A lot of modifications are made to make it more kid friendly and all superheroes are nerds who worked in R&D at a University. 

Nomad
Nomad

11.07.2014 | 3:30 AM ET

The computer animated films really turn me off, despite some being great like Up or How to train Your Dragon. I much more prefer drawn and stop action films when it comes to animated. Also, yeah...America doesn't make Kids movies like Wixards and Watership Down anymore (watership down is British, I believe but aired on television and was mass produced Inbl the US plenty). 

Anyone see The Wind Rises? Wasn't my favorite Miyazaki film but he really can't miss when it comes to making great film. I have a pretty extensive list for animated movies, all my favorites of all time if anyones interested.

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.07.2014 | 11:21 AM ET

If you like stop motion animation "The Box Trolls" was pretty decent.  A little darker than your typical animated kids movie, It's not nearly as dark or violent as "Wizards" or "Watership Down" bit still good. Unfortunately I think we missed "The Wind Rises", which is surprising. I will have to check it out. I typically like Miyazaki's stuff. 

Nomad
Nomad

11.07.2014 | 12:01 PM ET

I actually did not like The Box Trolls all that much. However Mary and Max has to be one of the least known gems when it comes to Stop Motion. Fantastic Mr. Fox, Coraline, The Nightmare before Christmas, A Town called Panic and The Pied Piper are probably the best of stop motion including Mary and Max.

I've seen basically all of them however.

Bigj383
Bigj383

11.07.2014 | 2:05 PM ET

Mary and Max was good. Wasn't a huge fan of Coraline but do like Fantastic Mr Fox and of course Nightmare before Christmas.  Haven't heard of the other two that I can recall,  probably will have to check them out. 

Edit: Looking up the title I Now realize I have seen "A Town Called Panic", I did enjoy it. 

* Edited at 11.07.2014, 3:24 PM ET *

michigandolphin
michigandolphin
  • Predictions:  25,001  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,973
  • Post Score: 261

11.07.2014 | 3:50 PM ET

My take on Interstellar:

I can't lie and say that I wasn't really looking forward this movie. But, I went in with slightly tempered expectations after reading some online reviews. I'm not going to spoil anything or really get in to the plot, because that in itself, may be encroaching on spoiler territory. 

Visually this is by far the most beautiful film I've ever seen. I wasn't lucky enough to be able to see it in IMAX, (not an IMAX close to me) but it was gorgeous nonetheless. Hoyte van Hoytema should win an Oscar for his cinematography. There are a few scenes that literally left me in awe. Hans Zimmer's score was also nearly perfect. His integration of the organ as an unexpected component of sound was a perfect juxtaposition with many a scene's overall tone. 

There is definitely some clunky dialog. Some "questionable" pacing in the middle of the film. But an awesome story, married with FANTASTIC acting and the visual beauty made this movie a true delight for me. I like to consider myself "well educated" when it comes to watching and understanding film, and I do agree with a criticism of Interstellar that it is a little heavy handed at times. But, when you make a movie with such a breadth of fans, toning down subtlety is a necessary evil.

Overall, I loved the movie, and I hope you all give it a shot. I understand this won't be every moviegoer's cup of tea, and I respect differing opinions. I'm probably going to go see it again to see if I can pick up on new things with my new found perspective. 

"Frig off, bud"

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

11.07.2014 | 5:02 PM ET

Thanks for your input, @michigan. 

I plan to check it out this weekend, but I've also tempered my expectations. Major complaint I've heard is with the last act. That it gets out there, but I hold Inception as one of my all-time favorite films, so I think I'll enjoy it.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Page 10

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• LFA 182 Tapology coverage is now live
  • In between bouts, waiting for next fight to begin.
  • Join the LFA 182 live discussion
  • LFA 182 features 11 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls, South Dakota